Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Blogger and chill podcaster Thought Eater has put out an OSR zine Psion Platypus #1 that is a mighty weird mini-dungeon. Recommended.

449D8AC1-ED2B-47B5-AD58-C0E312C1C8A9.png

This first issue features the mini-adventure "Cruelty Cave of the Mumbling Mouther", and includes art from Evlyn Moreau and Claytonian JP, with a map from Eneko Menica. US Letter and A4 sizes are available for download. Just print, fold, and...hopefully enjoy! If you like it, please help me get the word out by sharing it with others.

Blogger and chill podcaster Thought Eater has put out an OSR zine Psion Platypus #1 that is a mighty weird mini-dungeon. Recommended.

View attachment 12981

This first issue features the mini-adventure "Cruelty Cave of the Mumbling Mouther", and includes art from Evlyn Moreau and Claytonian JP, with a map from Eneko Menica. US Letter and A4 sizes are available for download. Just print, fold, and...hopefully enjoy! If you like it, please help me get the word out by sharing it with others.

I love Thought Eater's podcast. Seems like a cool dude.

Also, if you are into 0e, 1e, 2e D&D...Footprints is working on #25 over at Dragonsfoot and looking for submissions.

Questing Beast reviews Chance Phillips S&S planetary zine.

Fear of a Black Dragon reviews Thousand, Thousand Islands (linked upthread):

Upcoming zine from Zedeck Siew.

New mini-game and city adventire from Highland Paranormal Society.

what's an "analog adventure game"?

Sounds interesting.

See I look at this and think wouldn't it be cool if it was a ligne claire illustrated pulp adventure rpg like this. That would be pretty cool. But, I'm pretty sure its not. Which makes me sad.

On a positive note. I really do enjoy all these twitter and what not links you put up Voros. :smile:

1930s consulting detective splatbook when?

View attachment 23260
As far as adaptations go, I prefer the Maury Chaykin-Timothy Hutton version, though reading the stories is always preferable to someone else imagining them for you, but someone should definitely work up such a game.
f5ba3fb68972d17d1e4acf9074e2f0ea.jpg

I think this would be fun as well.
david-suchet-poirot-b248ae3.jpg

Honest question and not trying to belittle "zine's" as I like them allot, but what is the difference content wise at least between a Zine and a Blog? I don't mean literally as ones dead tree and the other is on your screen.

They both contain short articles usually with the occasional adventure all done by hobbyists.

Honest question and not trying to belittle "zine's" as I like them allot, but what is the difference content wise at least between a Zine and a Blog? I don't mean literally as ones dead tree and the other is on your screen.
Zines are old school and cool.

They both contain short articles usually with the occasional adventure all done by hobbyists.

I usually get my zines as pdfs, I just find them easier to refer to than a blog. In terms of hardcopies, I can see the appeal in terms of ease of use at the table, although there is also an undeniable collector scum/hipster component to it as well. I rememer zines when they were something you did in the 80s and 90s before desktop publishing was widely available and their revival is kinda ironic although not nearly as absurd and annoying as the hipster revival of cassettes, which always sucked.

I usually get my zines as pdfs, I just find them easier to refer to than a blog. In terms of hardcopies, I can see the appeal in terms of ease of use at the table, although there is also an undeniable collector scum/hipster component to it as well. I rememer zines when they were something you did in the 80s and 90s before desktop publishing was widely available and their revival is kinda ironic although not nearly as absurd and annoying as the hipster revival of cassettes, which always sucked.
In the 90's I subscribed to Loompanics and Whole Earth Catalog, was a member of the Church of the Subgenius, and published a Zine. It was like exploring the fringes of the Internet before the Internet took off.

In the 90's I subscribed to Loompanics and Whole Earth Catalog, was a member of the Church of the Subgenius, and published a Zine. It was like exploring the fringes of the Internet before the Internet took off.

Yeah it is crazy that zine culture goes all the way back to at least the 20s and 30s among sf fandom, even earlier if you consider APAs.

I contributed to film and music zines in the early 90s but once the net took off they died off for obvious reasons. Not sure how I feel about the current revival which feels a little self-conscious (not that it wasn't full of scenester douchebags back-in-the-day either). But in terms of rpgs I think it is pretty cool as people are producing a lot of good material, I'm all in favour of experimenting too, that's the point isn't it? Do what you fucking want.

Dude I haven't seen this in 25 years. This film is definitely one you want to watch while high.
Back in the '90s when I was at university, one of my flatmate's contemporaries at art school was into Subgenius. Subsequently, he went on to get a job doing the window dressing and displays at an upmarket department store called Ballantyne's. One day, just before Father's day, I was walking home past the shop to see a father's day display in the window featuring 6 foot high images of Bob the divine drilling equipment salesman, complete with pipe. I knew exactly what it was, but it must have gone completely over the heads of management. Well punked, Jared.

I worked at Kinko's when I was publishing my Zine and really into "Bob". Working there allowed me the use of a $250,000 scanner printing unit plus all the stuff to make a Zine for free. I would produce Subgenius posters, pamphlets, propaganda, stickers and even some unwise stuff like Dobbshead graffiti templates.

I worked at Kinko's when I was publishing my Zine and really into "Bob". Working there allowed me the use of a $250,000 scanner printing unit plus all the stuff to make a Zine for free. I would produce Subgenius posters, pamphlets, propaganda, stickers and even some unwise stuff like Dobbshead graffiti templates.
I knew a kid whose greatest accomplishment was stenciling Bob onto the front of a bank.

Dude I haven't seen this in 25 years. This film is definitely one you want to watch while high.

They also produced an audio collage radio show we'd broadcast after midnight on the university radio station. I worked there as a student and would download and schedule it.

I really like the format of that one. Hexes grouped into smaller chunks by terrain. Looks gorgeous but super practical and readable.

My only concern is some of the encounters. Does to Zine include things to do with things like "a mysterious hooded figure"? If I'm paying money, even this cheaply, I'd hope that there would be some descriptions of those things, something to do with them.

Also some of the grammar and writing is a bit off. Lots of typos. Eg. "...12 peasant bodies scatered across the fields... If players manage to give a proper bury to everyone..." Perhaps not their first language?

xgMp7h.png

I really like the format of that one. Hexes grouped into smaller chunks by terrain. Looks gorgeous but super practical and readable.

My only concern is some of the encounters. Does to Zine include things to do with things like "a mysterious hooded figure"? If I'm paying money, even this cheaply, I'd hope that there would be some descriptions of those things, something to do with them.

Also some of the grammar and writing is a bit off. Lots of typos. Eg. "...12 peasant bodies scatered across the fields... If players manage to give a proper bury to everyone..." Perhaps not their first language?

xgMp7h.png

From their blog the designer looks to be Portuguese or Brazillian, hopefully the typos will be fixed. One advantage of pdf publishing and online distro is things can be fixed and re-uploaded. We need more quality editors in the OSR.

Looks cool. P.S. It's free!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back