Our Moderating Style and Feedback

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Try these scotches:
Clynelish 14. Very reasonably priced for a 14, most of their production ends up in blends, but this is a very, very good whisky.
Glenfiddich 15 Solera. 15 years is the youngest age of the whisky‘s that go into the vat to blend. So you end up with 15, 18 and older whisky that get blended then barreled again before bottling. So good.

Rob

Heard good things about both! Both on my wish list!

The Tyranny of Decorum is still a tyranny. :angel: Eventually it comes down to human judgment providing the mercy and grace to intervene between power's mindless dictate. It is why I stated upon this site's inception that "politics" is truly unavoidable; all roads of social intercourse return here because it is inherent. All you can provide is even-handedness, patience, and the appearance of understanding -- y'know, like bartenders. :quiet::drink:

Embrace the throne under Damocles' Sword with full knowledge that Thrones Crumble. :angel: Enjoy the fall while it lasts.

As for protocol suggestions? Go with the "Pub" aesthetic as a guide to Escalating Authority:
Shoulder Tap & Whisper = Private Message
Open Call Out = In Topic Warning
Pull Away, Cool Down = Individual Temp Topic Time Out
Baseball Bat on Bar = Group Topic Warning
Drink Time Out = Individual Topic Permanent Ban
Last Call = Topic Lock
Thrown Out on Your Ear = Temp Forum Ban
Blacklisted = Permanent Forum Ban
:argh::drink: :irritated::drink: :goof::drink: :crossed::drink: :yawn::drink: :sleep::drink: :grin::drink:

The Tyranny of Decorum is still a tyranny. :angel: Eventually it comes down to human judgment providing the mercy and grace to intervene between power's mindless dictate. It is why I stated upon this site's inception that "politics" is truly unavoidable; all roads of social intercourse return here because it is inherent. All you can provide is even-handedness, patience, and the appearance of understanding -- y'know, like bartenders. :quiet::drink:

Embrace the throne under Damocles' Sword with full knowledge that Thrones Crumble. :angel: Enjoy the fall while it lasts.

As for protocol suggestions? Go with the "Pub" aesthetic as a guide to Escalating Authority:
Last Call = Topic Lock
:argh::drink: :irritated::drink: :goof::drink: :crossed::drink: :yawn::drink: :sleep::drink: :grin::drink:

If you find decorum a “tyranny”, see where its lack takes you.

Last Call = Topic Lock
Its an RPG forum. Unless we are talking about a game where we have characters who are congressmen or senators in a mockup of a real political institution... We have no business discussing it in the form that the no politics rule implies.
There doesn't have to be a deep significance here. Just don't air your dirty tribal loincloths on the forum... Its a pub; that's unsanitary!. If you are Elephant or Donkey tribe doesn't matter here.

Last edited:
Yep.

I've mentioned this before but I was on a now defunct LARP forum that had a "no holds barred" feel about it and where aggression and personal attacks were standard.

The problem?

You can only carry on like that for a bit. At the start, the abrasiveness was a means to a end and allowed people to get to the meat of disagreements quickly. But new people arrived and the board grew and we increasingly got posters for whom telling people to "fuck off" was the point rather than part of a debate.

It's a large reason why the board folded.

Its an RPG forum. Unless we are talking about a game where we have characters who are congressmen or senators in a mockup of a real political institution... We have no business discussing it in the form that the no politics rule implies.
There doesn't have to be a deep significance here. Just don't air your dirty tribal loincloths on the forum... Its a pub; that's unsanitary!. If you are Elephant or Donkey tribe doesn't matter here.
Yep.

I've mentioned this before but I was on a now defunct LARP forum that had a "no holds barred" feel about it and where aggression and personal attacks were standard.

The problem?

You can only carry on like that for a bit. At the start, the abrasiveness was a means to a end and allowed people to get to the meat of disagreements quickly. But new people arrived and the board grew and we increasingly got posters for whom telling people to "fuck off" was the point rather than part of a debate.

It's a large reason why the board folded.
I think he's joking guys.

Last Call = Topic Lock

1A2AE4E6-1AB5-46B1-89F3-43043EBF0810.jpeg

Seriously though, the line “everything in life is politics” and “politics and gaming cannot be separated” are just excuses to try and get politics into the discussion. The Pub doesn’t bow to political pressure.

Seriously though, the line “everything in life is politics” and “politics and gaming cannot be separated” are just excuses to try and get politics into the discussion. The Pub doesn’t bow to political pressure.
But,but,but I think you just did?!?.

The Tyranny of Decorum is still a tyranny.

That's why I don't wear underwear

Last Call = Topic Lock

All official sanctions will be based on how drunk the mod is at the time.

I just say I'm rockin the Dad bod! It was the latest fashion a decade or two ago which means I've times it about usual for me.

Y'know, if I have one takeaway from some other forums that shan't be named, the worst possible thing moderators can do is constantly whine about how hard it is to be a moderator.
What? But the constant stress of being responsible for others happiness doesn't crush you under a grinding wheel of despair? Are you sure you're doing it right?

What? But the constant stress of being responsible for others happiness doesn't crush you under a grinding wheel of despair? Are you sure you're doing it right?

I hearby solemnly swear that I have every intention to shirk my duties to hypocritically impose my morality through double standards on all you lesser beings, and will at no time be protecting the forum from hatefacts that conflict with my fantastical worldview placing everyone on the wrongside of fairytale history.

I do, however, retain the right to be hypocritical and to maintain a double standard on all things that in no way matter.

I hearby solemnly swear that I have every intention to shirk my duties to hypocritically impose my morality through double standards on all you lesser beings, and will at no time be protecting the forum from hatefacts that conflict with my fantastical worldview placing everyone on the wrongside of fairytale history.

I do, however, retain the right to be hypocritical and to maintain a double standard on all things that in no way matter.
Quite the double standard you have there!

Quite the double standard you have there!

giphy.gif

I'd actually appreciate some suggestions as to what would be considered a "neutral" spin-off thread title, were a similiar situation present itself.
Like A Fiery Flying Roll Black Leaf, I’d suggest having a tag like ‘fork’ or ‘spinoff’ then a fairly factual name for the thread, based in whatever the thread derail is?

Considering that I recently responded to a gag thread about “Horrible GM advice,” gave my horrible advice, then had some rude ass mod call me out for something that was “edition war-y,” (when, in fact, I was criticizing edition warriors, really) I find this site refreshing.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back