Percentile "advantage" system

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Up thread (maybe the first post) there is a link to a post that gives the statistics.
Ah I didn't know that it covered that. Doesn't look good, does it:

I stopped using flip die systems when I realised it didnt help much the people I most wanted to be helped by it - those with low skills. For instance, if you skill is 1-9%, you get exactly double your chance - and at those levels, that's hardly worth it.

But if your skills are typically in the range 30-70, it works very well.

Up thread (maybe the first post) there is a link to a post that gives the statistics.
Yup, a link to a purple post that breaks it down. It's interesting on how the effect works at the high end and low end of skill.

Ah I didn't know that it covered that. Doesn't look good, does it:
It depends on how you view it. I think doubling a chance is a good thing, I view it as a relative increase not an absolute one. Taking my chance from 5 to 10% is good to me. I wouldn't want it to take a chance from 5% say to 20%. I don't think it is as powerful as roll 2 d20, drop lowest IIRC the odds.

To me the purple post is the classic "I don't like it therefor it sucks" type of post with a conclusion disguised as reasoning . The conclusion assumes it is the absolute chance after adjustment that is all that matters and determines if it is good, instead of the relative increase. I'd call something that double yours chance to be a major upgrade.

For me this distribution works out fine. This means that I probably wouldn't use this for modeling easy and hard modes, but for smaller situational aspects. Consider combat as the prime example: For attacking someone unaware or even from the back, you might need a different model. But for smaller, trade-off based maneuvers this would be good. Let's say you can trade one action for an advantage, modeling positioning, feints or whatever. This grants you an advantage. A total beginner wouldn't benefit from this, but those are probably just wailing down hits anyway. And a master swordsperson just wouldn't need it.

I still am quite fond of the "roll additional tens", just like I theoretically like Shadow of the Demon Lords boon/bane system better than 5Es advantage/disadvantage, but the latter (and swapping) are just mechanically simpler. And maybe even a bit more pleasing.

For me this distribution works out fine. This means that I probably wouldn't use this for modeling easy and hard modes, but for smaller situational aspects. Consider combat as the prime example: For attacking someone unaware or even from the back, you might need a different model. But for smaller, trade-off based maneuvers this would be good. Let's say you can trade one action for an advantage, modeling positioning, feints or whatever. This grants you an advantage. A total beginner wouldn't benefit from this, but those are probably just wailing down hits anyway. And a master swordsperson just wouldn't need it.

I still am quite fond of the "roll additional tens", just like I theoretically like Shadow of the Demon Lords boon/bane system better than 5Es advantage/disadvantage, but the latter (and swapping) are just mechanically simpler. And maybe even a bit more pleasing.
Agree on ways to use it. I'd probably use a straight +modifier and the advantage for attacks from the back, and certainly remove any defenses that require being aware. For example, it might be large like +40% but someone with no skill could still mess it up. In many cases though I may skip a "to hit" roll and just assume success then it is only a matter of degree.

Ease of use, logistics, is always a thing for me the GM. Things that work, or are but only small delays, with two NPC, PCs etc., slow things down when there are 20. The nice thing about switch die, no need to track which die is 1s or 10s.

Option 3 is pretty much what is used in FrontierSpace for advantage disadvantage
Advantage, roll the dice, you may read them in the most favorable way
Disadvantage, roll the dice, read them in the least favorable way

I've used the system a few times and it works quite well in play

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back