Peter Weller on Robocop and Verhoeven

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I think it is safe to say it is supposed to be hilarious. I missed most of the humour as a kid, somehow, mainly because I recall being disturbed by the murder of Weller's character at the beginning.
I was old enough to get the satire - which is what really makes the movie - but one can still pick stuff up after multiple re-watchings. It comes across as an action flick at first glance, which was intentional, but it's also very much a black comedy.

Entertainment This Week was big at the time in NZ (Leeza Gibbons made an appearance at a national telethon) so seeing her playing the news presenter was quite funny in itself.

I just noticed this; I didn't know there was a remake and I will have to check it out.
It's not as good as the original, but it's actually not bad. Casting Samuel L. Jackson as a Bill O'Reilly counterpart was a neat move.

JG

The first one was really good. It was quite atmospheric (which the sound track contributed significantly to). I'm sure the original intention was to make a B movie, but it came out as something rather a lot better. The cast all pretty much nailed the major roles - James Earl Jones made a great villain, Mako made the wizard work, Arnie was Arnie and just worked in the role and so forth.

Fun fact: Sandahl Bergman also played the head baddie in Red Sonja.

It also pulled a few bits and pieces right out of the stories which I appreciated. Not a perfect movie but they did enough right, to make it a classic. Sadly the same cannot be said for Conan the Destroyer. It had potential and is not entirely without redemption, but the silly really ruins the vibe. Not the fault of the plot, it could have been decent if they hadn't gone PG-13 and camped it up.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back