Piracy, the Trove and how they affect the Hobby

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Or how about The New Yorkers, a prog/jazz outfit featuring drummer Gar Samuelson and guitarist Chris Poland, who would be in Megadeth's lineup for that band's first two albums:

Mustaine seemed to make very good choices choosing musicians. Chris Poland's jazz background definitely felt like it helped give the band a more distinct sound in that era (just like how bringing in Marty Friedman helped them make heavy metals' most perfect album)

What Sodom and Gomorrah did you all spend your decadent teens in?

Most of my teenage music was introduced to me by the balding hippy who ran the local independent record shop.
LOL my life has been quite mediocre but in retrospect I was lucky to have met some real hip chicks in my youth.

Being as this thread has moved significantly off-topic, I recommend somebody find a picture of a metal band that are dressed like pirates. At the very least we need somebody with an eyepatch. :tongue:

Being as this thread has moved significantly off-topic, I recommend somebody find a picture of a metal band that are dressed like pirates. At the very least we need somebody with an eyepatch. :tongue:
There are newer and maybe better examples, (Alestorm, frex), but I'm a fan of the classics, what can I say?

I am choosing to hear your narration in Jack Black's voice.

Huh, I went with Daniel Stern narrating the Wonder Years. Or possibly Richard Dreyfuss narrating Stand By Me.
I chose "the voice of the generic narrator in noir movies", in all likelihood unknown to all of you, since those tend to be translated when I watch them:thumbsup:.

Mustaine seemed to make very good choices choosing musicians. Chris Poland's jazz background definitely felt like it helped give the band a more distinct sound in that era (just like how bringing in Marty Friedman helped them make heavy metals' most perfect album)
Metalhead confession: I have never listened to Rust In Peace in its entirety. I remember being really unimpressed with So Far, So Good, So What, and never really following Megadeth too closely after that. Guess I'll have to give that album a day in court.

Speaking of Marty Friedman, after he left Megadeth, he went in to achieve fame in Japan playing pop music.

Metalhead confession: I have never listened to Rust In Peace in its entirety. I remember being really unimpressed with So Far, So Good, So What, and never really following Megadeth too closely after that. Guess I'll have to give that album a day in court.

It is subjective, but widely considered one of the best, and by many the best, heavy metal albums. It is very different from So Far So Good So What (much tighter, much better constructed, a lot less rough around the edges). Personally I liked So Far So Good So What, so take my endorsement of RiP with a grain of salt. But Rust in Peace has amazing guitar work in it, and it has a sound that runs through the whole album. I remember being floored by it when it came out. One of the first things I did was learn how to play Hanger 18. It is also an album I continue to listen to regularly

I liked Megadeths first four albums. Symphony of Destruction is where I started to trail off with them

I pretty much liked everything Megadeth did up until Marty and Nick left/were kicked out.

I pretty much liked everything Megadeth did up until Marty and Nick left/were kicked out.

Since then I have gone back and enjoyed the 90s material more. I have also picked up their more recent albums and enjoyed them. I was in a metal band and a lot more intense in my views about how bands ought to sound then. At the time there was this big fault line emerging in metal where the more mainstream bands seemed to get, the more it drove me away from them (not saying I was right, and it didn't always: I liked Metallica's black album for example). It feels like a lot of heavy metal bands were trying to get a wider audience and also adjusting to the changing musical climate. I remember Fear of the Dark feeling like a bit of a disappointment to me when it came out (now I can enjoy it). But by the time Symphony of Destruction came out I was much more deep into things like doom and death metal, some of the black metal and just generally more into the extreme end (so bands leaving that extreme for something more melodic didn't appeal to me as much at the time). These days I appreciate the more approachable metal from these bands more than I did then (though I still have a hard time with the direction Metallica went after the black album).

Wha...? Metallica? Megadeth?

gifntext-gif.gif

Speaking of Marty Friedman, after he left Megadeth, he went in to achieve fame in Japan playing pop music.
I learned this was the case when I was surprised out how good the English for an anime closing was and realized it was because the person wasn't Japanese.

(As for the actual anime... it was very very very mediocre, but that was kind of what I wanted to watch during workouts. If it was actually good I'd binge through it instead of watching 2 episodes per workout, and if it was too terrible I would have been bored out of my mind while exercising).

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back