Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Lessa

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
How is it going, folks? I hope everybody is fine. Silva here.

So, anybody excited for this? I know I am, specially after seen this cover and some Torment elements thrown in (the monsters book will be called Morte's Planar Parade).

new-planescape-5e-cover-art.png

"Wizards of the Coast follows up last year's introduction of Spelljammer: Adventures in Space with the second in the line reviving classic D&D campaign settings: Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse. The new collection returns players to Planescape, the critically-acclaimed and fan beloved setting initially released in 1994, and perhaps best known for the 1999 video game Planescape Torment.

The campaign collection is sold as a box set containing three hardcover books: Sigil and the Outlands, a 96-page guide describing the setting and its central city Sigil, home to portals connecting to every corner of the multiverse; Morte's Planar Parade, a 64-page bestiary of "impossible beings" and "nonstop weird" monsters; and Turn of Fortune's Wheel, a 96-page adventure that takes players across the Outlands to discover "a plot to undermine the rules of reality."

Adventures in the Multiverse and all its components will be available on October 16. The box set comes with a two-sided poster map and a DM screen; a limited edition version with box art by original Planescape artist Tony DiTerlizzi will be available through local game stores."

From: https://themessenger.com/entertainment/these-are-dungeons-dragons-new-products-for-2023

Last edited:
Some things I would love to see in the new edition:

- Belief powers. The original "Belief points" was kinda meh. I would prefer something more robust. I've read somewhere the 5e setting "Theros" has some nice Piety rules that would fit like a glove here.

- Revised factions. The original ones had great ideas but also some glaring holes and inconsistencies. Some factions were not even beliefs (Revolutionaries, Free League), while others too one-note (Harmonium, Mercy Killers, Doom Guard) or had little playability potential (Dustmen, Xaositechs). The good designed factions were, IMO, those both playable and with enough nuance within their philosophies to allow multiple takes, from more moderate to radical ones (the Believers of the Source, Fated and Sensates come to mind).

- Deeper Outlands and Gatetowns. Awesome concepts that were treated only superficially in the originals. They could be expanded and incorporated as an extension of Sigil power game and politics. It seems this time this WILL BE the focus of the setting though (the official adventure will be on the outlands), so I'm optimistic.

Last edited:
I have to confess that I'm a little interested.
I loved the Planescape: Torment CRPG and have a number of Planescape books (including the original box set).
But I've never actually run it...

The cover looks awesome. (But never judge a book...)

I'm hoping it will be good. I probably won't buy it on the primary market--getting it second-hand instead, if they can sell me on it. (I love Planescape immensely but it doesn't seem like they will be giving us a lot of material.) Mind you, It may have been roughly the same size as the original boxed set in page count. I just don't recall off hand.

Man... I'd be so on board for this is if was NOT 5e. Not only because I'm not a fan of 5e, but because the 5e stuff has (IMO) all the flavor of hospital food. Safe for everyone to eat, but nothing memorable.
Does anyone make a wierder/wilder not-Planescape?

Man... I'd be so on board for this is if was NOT 5e. Not only because I'm not a fan of 5e, but because the 5e stuff has (IMO) all the flavor of hospital food. Safe for everyone to eat, but nothing memorable.
Yep, that's me as well, except hospital food ain't that bad as the setting detail I expect from 5e...:thumbsup:

But then I'm considering running Dark Sun with Mythras, so...:shade:

I heard DiTerlizzi was doing the cover so that's cool. Hopefully that means they get Bron to do the cover for Dark Sun when they get to it.

I didn't mind the Starjammer set, I know others complained it was too sketchy but I prefer that the book give me the gist rather than disappear into the loreholes that made the 2e releases fun but also exhausting sometimes.

Not sure I'll pick this up, may be worth considering so if I do end up with a 5e group we can at least play in a cool setting.

Last edited:
Woah.. last time I was around here 5E was a perfectly fine game. How come it went downhill like this? I played it a couple times myself and liked it at the time, though it was a short experience and we couldn't measure it's staying power.

So, what comes? Are the rules too bland? The supplements disappointing? What's the Spelljammer thing? I'm out of the loop. :quiet:

Woah.. last time I was around here 5E was a perfectly fine game. How come it went downhill like this? I played it a couple times myself and liked it at the time, though it was a short experience and I could not feel if it had enough legs to go far with my group.

So, what comes? Are the rules too basic and bland? The supplements disappointing overall? What was this Spelljammer thing? I'm out of the loop. :quiet:
It's fine, I just don't find that the complexity it does have is doing anything I really want. It's a fine game, I've both played it and run it, but it's not my go-to for fantasy gaming.

I can relate to that, Fenris-77 Fenris-77 . These days I don't have mind for too much crunch anymore, and prefer quick and simple things.

What would be a good alternative for ye ol' adventuring fantasy nowadays? The Black Hack, Trophy, Dyfed? How easy to convert this new PS to those (assuming it turns out hot and not some lazy crashgab, of course)?

Last edited:
5e is still fine. Its always had detractors or folks who don't like the latest WotC offering. The January asshattery by WotC lost it some love from people who actually play it.
I still play it regularly but my group due to the January hijinks are branching out to other systems as well on a more regular basis.

I can relate to that, Fenris-77 Fenris-77 . These days I don't have mind for too much crunch anymore, and prefer quick and simple things.

What would be a good alternative for ye ol' adventuring fantasy nowadays? The Black Hack, Trophy, Dyfed? How easy to convert this new PS to those (assuming it turns out hot and not some lazy crashgab, of course)?
I like all three of those. I use Black Hack 2E and Trophy quite a bit. I actually just wrote a Sci-Fi hack of Trophy Gold, which should say something about how much I like the system. BH is my current go-to for fantasy and I haven't found that converting is much of a pain. Stuff from other OSR games can almost just done on the fly, and stuff from 5E isn't hard to convert. If you were going to use Black Hack, or maybe even better, The Black Sword Hack by our very own Kobayashi Kobayashi you could also take a look at SIG: Manual of the Primes, which is an OSR love letter to PS.

Woah.. last time I was around here 5E was a perfectly fine game. How come it went downhill like this?
Some of us never found it to their liking. Some decided to drop it after the OGL fiasco and never looked back. Some just expect WotC to do a poor job with the setting, given their less-than-stellar record on settings (and I'm being restrained, here).
And then to some of us, more than one of the above might apply:thumbsup:!

Thanks, Fenris. I'll have a look at those games.

Anybody else find it pretty cool that MORTE will be the narrator for the monsters book? I just hope they get the tone right.

(for those who don't know, Morte is a NPC from the Torment videogame, and he's amazing hehe)

Last edited:
Thanks, Fenris. I'll have a look at those games.

Nobody else find it pretty cool that MORTE will be the narrator for the monsters book? I just hope they get the tone right.

(for those who don't know, Morte is a NPC from the Torment videogame, and he's amazing hehe)
I have a couple of cheat sheets for BH posted in resources if you want a feel for the game:

GM Reference
Rules Reference

Woah.. last time I was around here 5E was a perfectly fine game. How come it went downhill like this?

5E is fine. I play in a weekly 5e game and enjoy it. A lot of folks around here just prefer other games, which is fine, too. And some people got turned off of 5E because of some of WotC's business decisions. I don't know the details because I don't care, but there's at least one thread about it if you're interested.

Woah.. last time I was around here 5E was a perfectly fine game. How come it went downhill like this? I played it a couple times myself and liked it at the time, though it was a short experience and we couldn't measure it's staying power.

So, what comes? Are the rules too bland? The supplements disappointing? What's the Spelljammer thing? I'm out of the loop. :quiet:
The supplements have gotten very underwhelming. My other issue was that I found the rules fine when running largely prewritten campaigns, but found myself working against the rules when I tried to run a hexcrawl last year, to the point that I just converted the whole thing to Pathfinder for Savage Worlds.

I have such mixed feelings about this. I LOVED 90's Planescape, but I'm worried that they're going to completely botch the upcoming release.

I'll probably still buy it.
I left RPGs for the 90s so I missed the first release until I picked it up a few years ago. I like the idea and as I've mentioned above the idea of republishing it with less of the details fllled in and setup more for easy entry

I have such mixed feelings about this. I LOVED 90's Planescape, but I'm worried that they're going to completely botch the upcoming release.

I'll probably still buy it.
...so why are you going to reward them for a botched job:grin:?

Hi folks.

So, anybody got this?

I'm curious about the "power of belief" concept and the factions' abilities that used to come from it. Do these still exist in the new edition?

Hi folks.

So, anybody got this?

I'm curious about the "power of belief" concept and the factions' abilities that used to come from it. Do these still exist in the new edition?

I'm going to look at it in-store before deciding on a purchase.

I'm kinda there with you, but I really think I may just buy the 2E stuff again, then use some entirely other system for it.
The 2e stuff is fine, excluding the focus on alignment...but then that part is easily excisable IMOE:thumbsup:!

There's a decent amount of information here:

An EN World review:

Video review here, although at less than 15 mins not sure how useful it is for people:

Last edited:

There is Black Void, that can be said to be a wilder/wierder planescape.

I almost bought SIG: City of Blades today, cuz I saw it in the wild...

I have it... I don't yet know how I feel about it. It takes the FitD in some interesting directions, but then also takes it in some that I'm less sure of.

I have to do another read through and then see it in play to really form an opinion.

So the factions abilities stayed out. A shame.

It seems they put out a supplement on "Beyond" (what is this?) for the Heralds of Dust, which contains the old "Dead Truce" ability. Maybe they'll do this for all factions? I would prefer a proper, physical format supplement on it akin to Factol's Manifesto.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back