[Planescape] Factions & alignments

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Lessa

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Does this spread of the factions ideologies by the Chaos x Law axis make sense to you?

Chaotic:
Xaositechs (duh)
Doomguard
Anarchists
Sensates
Bleakers

Neutral, or orthogonal to the axis altogether:
Indeps
Athar
Cyphers
Signers
Fated

Lawful:
Guvners
Harmonium
Mercykillers
Godsmen
Dustmen

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Ok, gimme one more hand here:

Let's say you're playing a member of the Transcendent Order (belief: Don't think, act. Action without thought leads to oneness with the multiverse). What condition for gaining xp sounds more appealing to you:

A. "When acting according to your belief is risky or costly to you or friendlies, gain xp."

Or

B. "When you jump recklessly into a dangerous situation, with no prep or planning, gain xp."

What's your favorite and why? :happy:

Ok, gimme one more hand here:

Let's say you're playing a member of the Transcendent Order (belief: Don't think, act. Action without thought leads to oneness with the multiverse). What condition for gaining xp sounds more appealing to you:

A. "When acting according to your belief is risky or costly to you or friendlies, gain xp."

Or

B. "When you jump recklessly into a dangerous situation, with no prep or planning, gain xp."

What's your favorite and why? :happy:
What's the difference between the two, in practical terms:wink:?

I think the two options have it's pros and cons. Option A is more open and can be applied in various creative ways (it reminds me of Fate aspects in some way). On the other hand, it seems more prone to be "gamed" into abuse. Option B forces a concrete drawback that can't be avoided, but this rigidness means it could get repetitive faster (it reminds me of Adepts' obsessions in Unknown Armies)

I'm leaning towards B right now. :smile:

I’d agree that B is better as A seems like something a lot of people are going to avoid. Whereas B can be fun and is how some people play anyways.

A tentative attempt at xp triggers for all factions, to be used in my PbtA hack. Assume Monsterhearts "one xp gain per move per scene" rule, so there's no need for these poor sods to behave like addled-coves all the time. hehe

Xaositech ("the multiverse is random"): When you randomly pick a choice on a move or in the fiction during a dangerous situation, gain xp.

Doomguard ("everything exists to fall apart"): When you enter a dangerous situation with untreated harm or wearing no armor, gain xp.

Anarchist ("bring down the powerful"): When you harm the stronger enemy on a dangerous situation, or thwart their plans on a strategic level, gain xp.

Bleaker ("there's no meaning to the multiverse"): When you risk yourself to help others on a dangerous situation, gain xp.

Sensate ("the multiverse must be experienced"): When you experience a new sensory input on a dangerous situation - licking a slaad, tasting the styx, smelling the abyss? - gain xp. Then write that experience down. You can't gain xp from that again.

Cypher ("Act without thought"): When you jump recklessly at a dangerous situation, with no prep or plan, gain xp.

Athar ("The gods are frauds"): When you harm a god's follower, reputation, place of devotion or important relic, gain xp.

Fated ("Take what is yours"): When you take hold of something because you can, gain xp. [this reminds me of my 1 year old toddler taking toys from his little friends haha]

Godsmen ("every being has a spark of the divine"): When resolve a dangerous situation without doing harm to living beings, gain xp.

Guvner ("understand the laws that control the multiverse"): When you enter a dangerous situation, you may state a plan of action if you wish. If you do and stick to your plan no matter the cost, gain xp. [I admit not liking this. Too complex and hard to pull off]

Harmonium ("my way or the highway"): When you impose your will over someone on a dangerous situation, gain xp.

Mercykiller ("justice trumps everything"): When you bring retribution to an offender, gain xp.

Signer (solipsism): When you enter a dangerous situation, you may state something non-obvious you want to happen, small or big. If it happens as you envisioned, gain xp.

Indep ("We have no faction and want to keep that way"): When you thwart a factioneer plan or action against you or other indeps, gain xp.

Dustman ("Life is an illusion; seek the true death"): When you show disregard for life, yours or others, on a dangerous situation, gain xp.

It's kinda messy, but seems like a good start. Suggestions and criticism welcome, as usual.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back