(Play-by-Post) Traveller: Scoundrels, Rogues, Nobles, and Worse - The Reboot

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Harl Quinn

Veteran of the Clone Wars
Reaction score
upload_2018-3-19_2-31-12-png.1396

Spinward Traders LIC is looking for people willing and able to act as traders and shippers throughout the Marches... Applicants must be capable of dealing effectively with:
  • Scoundrels
  • Rogues
  • Nobles
  • and Worse
Traveller: Scoundrels, Rogues, Nobles and Worse (or Traveller: SRNW for short) is a play-by-post game where the characters go from zero to Big Damn Heroes.

How many player slots are there?
Seven total; three are currently occupied and four are open.

What do you need to play the game?
What do I need to know? Where and when is the game set?
No knowledge of the Original Traveller Universe (OTU) is needed. The initial game will be constrained to the Regina Subsector of the Spinward Marches, but those constraints may be loosened to include other regions if we decide to continue beyond the initial arc. The game starts in the year 1116 of the GURPS Traveller timeline.

How does GURPS Traveller's timeline differ from Classic/MegaTraveller's?
In the CT/MT timeline, Emperor Strephon, along with his wife and daughter, are assassinated by Archduke Dulinor of Ilellish. In the GURPS Traveller timeline, Dulinor is killed in a spacecraft explosion on the same date as Strephon's death in the CT/MT timeline. All other events leading up to the event are the same. Likewise, a number of non-Rebellion related or relevant events still take place per my discretion as GM.

Character Generation Guidelines

Last edited:
Posting Guidelines
With regard to posting format and schedule, I plan on keeping it very simple so things flow quickly. Any additions or changes will be made to this individual post, in essence, it will be a living document. I will also be putting together a PDF with all the house rules, campaign trivia and the posting guidelines. In the meantime, enjoy link to the Traveller integrated timeline.
  1. Turn postings will be at a rate of once a week. I know everybody is living in different areas/time zones and has differing lives, jobs, etc., so I understand if you won't be able to post rapidly. I work overnights and crash (sometimes pretty hard) during the day. If I haven't heard from you once the majority of players have declared their characters' actions, I'll PM you. If, after I PM you, I haven't received a response within 24 hours, I'll try to have your character act according to their motivations and abilities as best as possible. I will DEFINITELY NOT have them act randomly, stupidly, or otherwise cause them harm due to a bad roll. If you are going to be away from the game for a significant amount of time (1 week or more), I will take control of your character as above.
  2. Combat will be of two basic types. Simple fights in which your course of action is obvious (fight or die, using your strongest attack) will be resolved by me. For more complete fights, I will describe the situation and then end the move, so that your next instructions will include how you want to deal with the combat situation. For instance, I might write: “After Aaron makes a comment about a drunken Sword Worlder's lumpy head, the Sword Worlder backhands Aaron, knocking him to the floor, and puts a booted foot on his chest. The bar erupts in chaos as the Sword Worlder's compatriots begin hitting whomever is closest. The mohawk-sporting Darrian who has been staring at you grins and pulls a body pistol from her sleeve. What do you do?”
  3. Based on your current situation, for each move you need to supply your character's immediate long- and short-term goals. For instance, suppose you're in the situation described above. Your long-term goals might be to become the richest, most influential free trader in the region and to find the one-eyed Geonee who killed your captain. Your short-term goals might be something like: “Hit the drunk Sword Worlder with my chair, then make my way to the nearest window. If the Darrian starts to come my way, I'll throw a knife at her. When I reach the window, I'll jump through it, get on my grav-bike, and find some place to lie low in the next town. In the morning I want to try to sell the necklace I found in the wrecked starship and replace the knife I lost. Also, I'll check around on the local newsnet or at the local bars for rumors about the Geonee who killed my captain.”
  4. Your moves should take into account as many contingencies as you can think of (such as the possibility of the Darrian moving in for a shot with the body pistol in the simplified example above) and should describe your actions in enough detail to avoid ambiguity. If you are locked up in someone's brig, you cannot simply say, “Escape." You need to do something like “try to hotwire the lock” or “play sick and ambush the guard” or otherwise outline some definite course of action.
  5. Overall party actions will be determined by majority, with me, the GM, as final arbiter. I'll do my best to integrate your moves and come up with acceptable compromises when they conflict.
  6. We will be using the Orokos dice roller and you will be expected to provide links for verification of your dice rolls, just as Templum Domini provided for his chargen.
  7. Lurkers are welcome, but please do not comment within the OOC and IC threads. If you have a comment or question for me or my players, please PM us. This keeps the noise-to-signal ratio down and keeps things clear for gameplay.
  8. Lurkers interested in becoming players should contact me, the GM, via PM.
  9. The format for posting has some nuances, but not many. Typically, I'll start a new turn posting with:
    Date: ddd/year
    World/Sector: Planet or system/Subsector Coordinates/Sector

The character's other actions are often written as part of the narrative paragraph, as if in a novel. Character thoughts should be displayed through italics without quotes or brackets.

Separating by paragraphs at conversation breaks or at logical action breaks is a good idea. Strive to not post “one-liners.” That is, don’t simply post ‘Joss whacks the Sword Worlder.’ That’s boring. Try to weave in some narrative. ‘Joss ducks under the Sword Worlder's punch, easily sidestepping the crude swipe. In return, she smashes her beer stein along side the brute's ugly head, giving him a new lump .’ This is by no means quality material, but it is a step in the right direction.

Other symbols - { }, [ ], < >, << >>, etc. - will indicate such things as radio calls, speech in languages other than the standard assumed language of the campaign, etc. Here's what I'm proposing:
    • <<Alien language translated by an individual, computer or robot will be delivered between double chevrons in the color of the robot's speech, like so>>. In short, we'll use the guideline in the D6 Star Wars rules - if a translator's present, just talk normally. :smile:
    • <Untranslated alien language will be delivered in single chevrons in italics and the color of the speaker's speech.> It will not be comprehensible unless a character makes a successful language roll. In that case, a translation will be delivered in a spoiler as above. As a side note, I know there are a number of language guides and that they tried to create authentic languages for the Vilani, Vargr, and other races with their own syntax and the like. I don't intend to go into that much detail. There is an alien word generator for Traveller here which we can all use, as well as another with a wider variety of languages here, but if there is some sage saying or particular words you or I want to use, I would recommend maybe referring to info in the Traveller books if you have access.
    • {Telepathic messages will be delivered in curly brackets in italics in the speaker's color.}
    • [Radio calls and computer warnings will use square brackets in the speaker's color. Computer warnings will be prefaced with ***SYSTEM ALERT***]

[OOC: Out of character information, usually statistical information or questions. OOC banter is usually reserved for the OOC thread.] Any out of character dialogue not directly related to the OOC thread may be conducted through the use of spoiler tags. For example, dice rolling should be conducted in a spoiler in the In-Character thread to expedite the combat process, like so: or
    Joss - attacking the Sword Worlder - 2d6+5 (https://orokos.com/roll/608228)

Above all, stay in-character in the in-character thread, and out of character in the out of character thread.

Proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation (barring unusual speech patterns or accents as part of a character's defining traits) are a must, since confusion resulting from a run-on sentence could lead to mistakes, possibly even character death. Running a post through a spelling and grammar checker before posting is a good idea. If you are unsure of your post clarity, run it by me in a PM prior to posting.

Last edited:
House Rules and Campaign Trivia
Yes, I do house rule a few things in my version of the OTU. These, like all the rules, are governed by Rule Zero and will be subject to change as necessary.
  • Rule Zero: Every race, power, career, variant rule, etc. is subject to change or removal at the discretion of the GM. Even if a game element is initially permitted, if it is later deemed incompatible with the campaign, it will be modified or removed. Any characters (PC or NPC) that use that element may be required to adjust to the change (in other words, grandfathering is not guaranteed). The GM will attempt to keep this sort of thing to a minimum (if at all), but sometimes this may happen in the process of keeping the rules appropriate to the campaign setting.
  • Campaign Trivia
    • Aslan ihatei
      Aslan who do not stand to inherit territory from their parents/clan leaders are called “ihatei” which pretty much means “secondborn”. These landless sons are sent out to make their own names and gain their own territory either through combat as mercenaries or other worthwhile activity (such as business activity organized by their mates). As a nod to the late John M. Ford, who brought us the Klingons as presented in FASA's Star Trek RPG and his novels “The Final Reflection” and “How Much For Just The Planet?”, ihatei Aslan in my version of the OTU prefix their clan names with “ihatei”, such as Heatloi ihatei-Khaukheairl, to denote their status and set themselves apart from their established clanmates.
    • The Zhodani rank of "Thought Admiral"
      Another nod to the late John M. Ford is my use of the honorific title/rank of "Thought Admiral". This honorific rank is given to Zhodani admirals and strategic planners who have shown exceptional tactical/strategic and command ability. It is rumored (both by Imperial Naval Intelligence and IRIS) that some of these individuals possess extraordinary psionic abilities, allowing them to command the officers in their fleets telepathically. However, this is not confirmed. Although this rank is not higher than that of an ordinary Zhodani admiral, it is revered and respected as such.
    • X-Boats in the Marches
      Unlike regions closer to the Imperial core, a good portion of the x-boat traffic in the Spinward Marches is handled using modified Type-S courier ships as they are armed and have maneuvering drives, giving them a better chance against any attackers.
  • House Rules
    • Knockout Blows and Random First Blood
      We will use the “Knockout Blow” and “Random First Blood” optional rules on page 66 of the MgT rulebook. Long-time Traveller players and referees will recognize this as how damage is applied in Classic Traveller.
    • Skills and Character Improvement
      Because the forum software has a 20,000-word limit for messages, I'm forced to just post the link for the character improvement rules. :grin:
    • Technical Architecture - Computers, Robots, Starships, and Vehicles
      I'm somewhat of a gearhead when it comes to technical design in Traveller. The various editions have differing design systems, each with their own merits and drawbacks (and at least one with more drawbacks than merits - T4, I'm lookin' at you). As it stands, trying to wrap my head around how to shape Mongoose Publishing's technical design systems into something suitable while adding concepts from past editions is a bit much. Right now we'll just wing it as best we can. Players wanting to design ships, robots, etc. need only let me know what they're wanting to do and I'll gladly work with them.
    • Jump-Capable Small Craft
      Technologically, jump-capable small craft are feasible, but not practical. Jump-capable starfighters could conceivably be constructed, but due to the need for extended life support, even a jump-1 capable fighter would be comparable in size to a Type-S scout in order to accommodate the pilot's life support needs. One could conceivably rule that such requirements would be minimized by making the cockpit a low berth as well, but given the unpredictability of jump space and the need for a living medtech to bring the pilot around again, it's not a good idea. As such, small craft such as starfighters, shuttles, ship's boats, pinnaces, slow boats, et.al, are not built with jump drives.

Jump torpedoes are also a possibility, but because they are easily intercepted by pirates, they aren't commonly used by the Imperium for communications. Being so vulnerable, they can easily be weaponized, creating devices similar to the V-1 buzz-bombs and V-2 missiles of Earth's Second World War. Under the restrictions of the Imperial Rules of War (termed "Good War" in the mercenary trade), such devices are classified both as WMDs and terror weapons and are illegal.

It should be noted that both Vargr and Sword World forces have attempted to use such devices during the various Frontier Wars. There was at least one notable failed attempt by the Zhodani to use a hijacked Broadsword-class mercenary cruiser - the Dagger - as such during the Fifth Frontier War. There have also been rumors that some of the more disreputable Aslan ihatei bands have made use of such weapons (presumably fitted with biological weapons) to clear target world(s) of existing sophont colonies before the band claims the target world(s) in question.
    • Multiple Systems in a Hex
      It should be noted that on the sector and subsector maps that a system occupying the hex is the main system and not necessarily the only system occupying that hex. Each hex represents one parsec of space (a parsec being 3.26156 light years) so that's a lot of room for multiple systems, anomalies, and other astronomical bodies. A jump between systems in the same hex would constitute a one-parsec jump taking one week as per the rules.
    • Empty Hex Jumps
      Empty hexes are not necessarily a death sentence. Some GMs rule that all empty hexes are completely empty and ships entering them (either intentionally or accidentally) are basically done for. I disagree with that assessment. My ruling is thus: As long as there are no anomalies, damage, or malfunctions preventing a starship's sensors from getting a navigational fix on the stars in any hexes in the subsector, and if the ship has the fuel for a jump OUT of the empty hex, a jump will be permitted.

To generate a navigational fix, a PC must use their Astrogation skill in addition to the shipboard computer's jump control and flight plan generation programs (essentially giving a +DM to their roll based on the rating of the program - Jump-1, Jump-2, Generate-1, Generate-2, etc.). The roll is negatively affected by the number of hexes between the ship and the star system or astronomical body/anomaly the PC is using to generate the fix as well as the distance between the ship and its destination.
    • Mini- or Microjumps (tentative)
      Mini-jumps or micro-jumps as they are sometimes known, are allowed, but require programs and computers higher than level 1 to safely perform. These are done within a system to cut travel time in emergency situations and are normally not done without starport clearance as an unplanned microjump could cross another ship's path, annihilating both ships in the process. The duration of a microjump is normally 1 week with current tech (TL15 max). Jump drives at TL16 or better may allow for faster microjumps.
    • The Appearance of Jumpspace
      One of the more ridiculous fan slap-fights in Traveller fandom is what it looks like outside the window when you look at jumpspace. I know the "canon" answer is technically a "bunch of swirling, gray nothingness" because "reasons". In my OTU, if you look out the window at hyperspace while a ship is jumping between systems, this is an example of what you would see:

Last edited:
Here's the first character of our group:
Player: K Krajin
Name: Kheilolr ihatei-Eisohiyw (Pronounced Khay-lor) (Use Khalor in posts, easier to spell!)
Race: Aslan
Homeworld: Tlaiowaha

Personal Profile: E8C6867-0

STR: 14 (+2 DM)
DEX: 8 (+0 DM)
END: 12 (+2 DM)
INT: 6 (+0 DM)
EDU: 8 (+0 DM)
SOC: 6 (+0 DM)
PSI: 7 (+0 DM)
TER*: 0 (-3 DM)

* - Territory is a characteristic specific to Aslan characters, showing how much property a male Aslan has acquired for himself. This stat starts at 0 and is sometimes used in social interactions between Aslan males.
From the Traveller core rulebook, p.43:
"A deep-seated territorial instinct causes the Aslan to have an inordinate (from a Human standpoint) drive to own property. For male Aslan, owning land is a major goal in life. An Aslan’s stature is determined by the amount of land he (or her husband, for females) controls, or by the amount of land owned by any higher lord the Aslan may be vassal to. The lowest classes of Aslan society are landless and provide the farmers, labourers, craftsmen and factory workers. A holder of a large territory will often grant authority over it to vassals (usually sons, brothers or male relatives by marriage) who administer the land in his name."

Skills
Athletics (Endurance) : 1
Battle Dress: 1
Tactics (Military): 1
Heavy Weapons (Launchers) : 0
Gun Combat (Slug Rifles) : 1
Stealth: 1
Recon: 0
Leadership: 1
Vacc Suit: 0
Comms: 1
Melee (Blade): 0
Tactical Awareness: 0
*Survival: 0
*Streetwise: 0
*Language: 0

Psi Talents
  • Psionic Strength Points: 7
  • Clairvoyance-0
    • Tactical Awareness (Clairvoyance, Psionic Strength, 1–6 seconds, Average (+0). Costs 2+Range)
Career History
Pre-career Education: Military School – Marines, Graduated with Honours
Life event: Encountered an unusual alien ruin out in the Deserts of his homeworld with his brother and got exposed to to some ancient technology.
Benefits: (Three Skills to level 1, Edu +1, Graduation with Honours as an Officer into Marines, Ground Assault)

Marines: First Term
Event: Trapped Behind Enemy Lines, he has to survive on his own: Gained Stealth 1 for evading hostile forces.
Promoted to Captain

Marines: Second Term
Event: Assigned to the front lines of a planetary Assault and Occupation. Gained Comms: 1
Promoted to Force Commander.

Musters out.
Benefits Gained: TAS membership, 20,000 Credits, Armour x2 (One exchanged for Vacc suit 0))

Equipment
Combat Armour (TL12) Protection: 14
Modifications:
Magnetic Grapples (100 cr)
Tail Armour (7500 cr. 2.5% of base cost)
Environmental Reader (100 Cr)
Cloth Armour: (TL 10) Protection 5 (500 Cr)
Gauss Rifle (4D6 AP) (pg 83 CSC) (1,500 Cr)
8 Magazines (100 shots per) (40 Cr Per)
Broadsword (300 Cr)
Clan Comm (150 cr)
Radio Transceiver (Regional.) (500 Cr)
Bio Adjustment Pills, 3 months supply. (60 Cr)
Total: 11:180cr

Remaining Credits: 8,970 cr

Last edited:
How do you handle the rolling:smile:?

Rwolf, Vargr technician
Player:
M Mike
Universal Profile: B6EDCA

Strength 11 (B) (+1)
Dexterity 6 (+0)
Endurance 14 (E) (+2)
Intelligence 13 (D) (+2)
Education 12 (C) (+2)
Charisma 10 (A) (+1)

Skills: Athletics (Running)-0, Computers-1, Deception-0, Engineer (electronics)-2, Gun Combat (Pistol)-0, Gunner (Turrets)-0, Language (non-verbal)-1, Mechanic-1, Pilot (Small Craft)-0, Recon-0, Remote Ops-0, Security-1, Stealth-0, Streetwise-0, Translator-0, Vacc Suit-1, Zero-G-0.

Gear – Intrusion deck (TL11, see below), three (3) spydrones (TL11, see below), two (2) TL12 medikits, mechanic toolkit, engineer (electronics) toolkit, autopistol (3d6-3 dmg., four magazines, 15 shots ea.), filter mask, commlink, mesh jacket (+2 protection).

Intrusion Deck – Computer/2, 1 kg mass, hardwired software includes Intrusion-2, Security-1, Interface-0, Agent-0, Intelligent Interface-1, Translator-1.

Spydrones – STR 0 (-3), DEX 9 (+1), Hull 0, Structure 1, IR camera, EM probe, integral grav floater.

New Skills
Admin (Liaison): The individual is trained in the art of dealing with others; this skill is usable in relations with members of military units, citizens in a community, and with alien or foreign cultures. This individual is trained to subordinate its own views and prejudices where they may conflict with those held by individuals being dealt with. As a result, greater cooperation may be achieved, and substantial progress in mutual projects made. Liaison is primarily used as a positive DM in the reaction process. While Liaison is treated as an Admin specialization, it has roots in Streetwise. Streetwise tends to deal with unsavory aspects of (non-Hiver) society, while Admin deals with the formal bureaucratic structure. Liaison is a formal training that spans both, but also extends to contact with alien (non-Hiver) cultures.

Language (non-verbal): The individual is trained in the understanding of body language and its interpretation, and has a certain degree of ability to determine what another person thinks by its posture and bearing alone. An understanding of non-verbal communications goes along well with the fact that Hiver language is non-verbal. A character with this skill is always capable of determining the reaction level of a character with whom it is dealing. In addition, a general idea of what the other person is thinking can sometimes be obtained. Roll 11 + for any character to divine general thoughts or intentions from any other character's bearing. DM + 3 per level of non-verbal communications skill, DM – 2 if the character is a stranger, DM - 3 if a member of another culture of the same race (such as Hiver Federation Humans and Imperials), DM - 6 if of an alien race (Hivers and Imperials, for instance). DM + 3 if a close friend or acquaintance of long standing, and DM + 2 if the reading character has psionic talent (trained). The referee is responsible for regulating the depth of understanding in such attempts.

Translator: The individual is skilled in the use, operation, and repair of translator systems. Translators are a special subset of electronic and computer components. This skills is a DM required to understand, repair, assemble, or operate the equipment effectively. A character may average electronic and computer skill levels to establish expertise with translators in the absence of skill; 112 the average of the two skills (round fractions down) is the individual's translator skill. Referee: Repair of translators will require specific throws to be set based on tools, parts, skill, dexterity, intelligence, and other factors. Operation of translator requires a roll of 6 + for the correct transmission of a message; failure of the roll results in a misunderstanding. Translator skill serves as a positive DM; other DMs can be established to reflect the cultural or racial barriers to communication, the complexity of the message, and so forth. The specific results of misinterpreted communication can be set by the referee; they might include negative reaction modifiers, a complete termination of discussions, or a subtle deviation in content of the conversation between what is intended and what is conveyed. This can happen in either direction, and is subject to the referee's intervention in determining the nature and direction of the overall conversation.

Background
Homeworld –
Rodihs (H'vik-Havick Subsector/Kaa G!'kul Sector 0738) – A5748S5-B
Starport: A – Excellent
Size: 5 – 8,000 km
Atmosphere: 7 – Standard, tainted
Hydrosphere: 4 – 40%
Population: 8 – Hundreds of millions
Government Type: S (Sept)
Law Level: 5 – Personal concealable weapons prohibited
Tech Level: B (11) – Lower Average Imperial
Population: 9x10^8 = 900,000,000
No asteroid belts or gas giants insystem
Remarks:
High Population, Subsector Capital, Federation Naval Base present
Travel Zone: Green – No restrictions

Background Details: Rwolf was born into a small Vargr community on the Hive Federation world of Rodihs. He joined the Federation Navy at age 18, serving three terms before being honorably discharged at age 30 with the rank of Petty Officer, 2nd Class. During his tenure as a Navy tech, Rwolf encountered a Hiver calling itself Gladius. A Navy intel/counterintel analyst, Gladius already had plans for a career outside the military as a troubleshooter.

When Rwolf left the Federation Navy, he received a letter from Gladius offering him a job as a technician in his newly-formed troubleshooting organization, Discrete Solutions (think of the TV show “Leverage”, but in space). The two have since traveled to the Spinward Marches and established the group's headquarters on Regina. Currently, the group bills itself as troubleshooters for anyone who can afford their services (or otherwise convince Gladius and his employees to work pro bono).

Last edited:
Oh well, I'm throwing my hat in the ring, too:smile:!
https://orokos.com/roll/643155#
Marin Sokolov
M
UPP: 877733
There go my dreams of playing a Noble:wink:!
Of course, I can still roll for it. I'd only need a 12 to succeed:grin:!
...I guess not.
Homeworld: Federation of Arden, Jewell Subsector
Starting skill: Streetwise of course.

Going for University! He's smart enough to know he needs more book learning...
https://orokos.com/roll/643163
He almost made it.
Well, he's submitting to the Draft instead.
Wait, do I have to?
OK, if I can, I'll roll for Rogue instead.

Can't find whether I should submit to Draft. Rogue it is:grin:!
https://orokos.com/roll/643236
Success...oh fu**, wait!
In other words, that's my first term. I know that I rolled and succeeded, but can I be a Drifter, instead?
Or, even better, can we say he worked as a bouncer:grin:?
Harl Quinn Harl Quinn

I need to go for now, anyway.
Actually, let's stick to the rolls. He's an Enforcer!
We add Deception, Recon, Athletics (Coordination), Gun combat (Slug) and Stealth-0, since I've got Streetwise-0 already.
https://orokos.com/roll/643264
Survival successful
https://orokos.com/roll/643265
Promotion successful! I gain Persuade 1 (totally fitting a Bouncer).

Event: I can backstab someone. Instead, I'll cover him, and gain an Ally!
And of course, I have an advancement roll. I think Personal development would fit here.
https://orokos.com/roll/643268
Melee (Unarmed)-1
So...Mustering Out it is!
Two Benefits rolls are in order.
https://orokos.com/roll/643269
6+1 Dex
https://orokos.com/roll/643270
3+1Int
UPP becomes 887833
Try for University again! That was just a job in the meantime.
https://orokos.com/roll/643271
He made it!
This time, he made it - and despite having to catch up, joined the Officer Training Course of the Navy, on top of it.
Art (writing)-0
Investigate-0
Advocate-0
Trade (cooking)-0 (students are always hungry).
Science (biology)-0
Science (chemistry)-0
Edit: Finally found my roll! I think.
https://orokos.com/roll/644353
He gained Art (Dancing)-1
Because you can be either the rich new student, or the well-dancing new student...or you ain't getting no girls, man!
And he's not rich, and doesn't like the third option.

OK, it's time to roll for graduation (by my reading, if he doesn't graduate, he gets no events). And it's going to be hard, but he's going to get in the OTC, too (an extra -1 penalty on his Education).

https://orokos.com/roll/643272
He actually makes it! And it means he's qualified for a Commission, too!
Also, his UPP is now 878893

Let's toll for Honours as well.
https://orokos.com/roll/643274
Only 6, but since he started with Edu 3, he should count himself lucky!
Meeting aliens/people from a different culture.
Language (Any)-1

Education debt
https://orokos.com/roll/643276
Obviously it was a scholarship or a government-funded thing!
Not that it matters.
Next turn: Line/Crew!
Vacc-Suit-0
https://orokos.com/roll/643277
Survival successful
https://orokos.com/roll/643278
That's actually promotion (as you can guess from the number 7+, Survival is 5+, as per the previous roll).
Promotion successful...and I didn't even add the +2 from OTC!
I get the title Ensign, and Melee (Blade)-1
Personal Development
https://orokos.com/roll/643279
Str+1
Hmm...obviously, some of the other officers were mocking the "low-class guy". And one of them, Arnaud de Something And Other, was a CXYZWC bruiser...
So Marin put some extra time in the training room in order to show him what muscles and skill can do when combined! (Of course, he's way better at brawling than most guys that know just enough of it to handle a sword properly - unarmed fighting was seen as "low class" on their ship, but popular, because it was quietly ignored by the higher-ups).

Event
https://orokos.com/roll/643280
The vessel participates in a diplomatic mission! Recon-1, Diplomacy-1 or Steward-1?
It's a tough choice!

I'll choose after I come back from practice.
Recon-1 it is! Guess which missions the low-class guy was getting? You guessed right!

Officer Table!
https://orokos.com/roll/643333
Bwahahaha, that's too funny!
Skill: Melee (Blade)-2
Because the best way to close the mouth of a high-born Ensign is to touch your cutlass. Of course.
Survival successful (same link).
https://orokos.com/roll/643334
Advancement successful
Roll on Personal Development.
Oh, and an Event.
https://orokos.com/roll/643335

UPP 988893
Life Event
...good. I was wondering whether he's even got a life!
https://orokos.com/roll/643336
Something Weird!
https://orokos.com/roll/643337
Psionic Instituted, meet Sokolov. Marin, meet Psionic Institute!
I've got 4 full terms until now, so it's a 2d-4 roll.
https://orokos.com/roll/643339
He's a Psion, alright, but a very weak one...
(OK, I just noticed that at the start, I was rolling his Education as -2. Not going to change anything, I just found it funny:grin:!)
He might be weak, but he's got an ability none of those higher-ups has! You think he's going to try and use it as well as possible?
You'd better bet:devil:!

OTOH, he's got to roll for aging. And for cash, examination ain't free!
Aging
https://orokos.com/roll/643341
978893-1 He's starting to slow down!
https://orokos.com/roll/643342
10k Credits
https://orokos.com/roll/643343
1k Credits
https://orokos.com/roll/643344
10k Credits
Total 21k Credits. He's 79k credits in debt!
I'm sure Harl Quinn Harl Quinn doesn't have any ideas what to do with that fact:evil:!

OK, time to roll for abilities.
https://orokos.com/roll/643350
Telepathy-0
https://orokos.com/roll/643351
No Clairvoyance
https://orokos.com/roll/643352
No Teleportation
https://orokos.com/roll/643353
No Awareness
https://orokos.com/roll/643355
No Telekinesis, either.
Ah well...

OK, does he get to be in the Psion Career, at all:grin:? The text of the Event said "you can take the Psion Career". But I'm not sure whether I need to roll. And it's unlikely he'd make the roll, too...
Anyway, I'll stop here until we have a Referee ruling on that (and on the University's skills, please:grin:)!
On second thought, let's stop here. He's going to have a trump card...but it's not likely to work often. It's just a small trump card, if you get my meaning:devil:!

Last edited:
And another character for the troupe-style.
I think this one should be a female Traveller. Not sure yet, but I like variety...
OK, let's do this.
Laoise O'Connor presents for...prom night, I guess - what else at 18:grin:?
https://orokos.com/roll/643364
Heh, she's more educated than Marin when he began! And since they'd share a homeworld...
Art (song)-0
Streetwise-0
That's it for now. But still...
Whatever. Let's give her a chance at an University, too!
https://orokos.com/roll/643366
No luck here, either!
Let's try to get her into Entertainers.
https://orokos.com/roll/643381
Art (Dance)-0
Art (Holography)-0
Carouse-0
Deception-0
Persuade-0
Steward-0

https://orokos.com/roll/643384
Barely survived the term
https://orokos.com/roll/643385
One of her works makes her a minor celebrity. +1 to a Benefit roll.
https://orokos.com/roll/643387
No luck in promotion
Well, let's keep her a second term here!
https://orokos.com/roll/643388
She made it easily this time.
And she gains...Carouse-1! Obviously she went to lots of wild parties.
https://orokos.com/roll/643389
Invited to participate in a controversial activity. Rolling Art (Dance)
https://orokos.com/roll/643392
Obviously, success. She got +1 Soc from...dancing almost nude for a controversial art director, but somehow - without it seeming vulgar:tongue:?
https://orokos.com/roll/643394
Still no luck with promotions.
Screw it, time for University!
https://orokos.com/roll/643396
Cash: None, she spent it all!
Benefit+1
https://orokos.com/roll/643397
Contact

3rd term:
https://orokos.com/roll/643398
She made it into university! Art school, of course...
From the Specialty Skill table she gets:
Art (Acting)-0
Art (Painting)-0
Advocate-0 (because you need to prove you weren't copying a famous piece you've never heard of before)
Broker-0 (because she needs to trade her art better)!
Deception-0 (art is deception)
Social Science (anthropology)-0 ('cuz natives sometimes have great pieces)!
...and she fails to graduate.
Severely injured? I guess someone who envied her professional success attacked her!
But at least she gets some benefit from it.
https://orokos.com/roll/643401
+1 Int!
https://orokos.com/roll/643402
Ouch!
https://orokos.com/roll/643403
Total of 7 points. So she's Cr35k in medical debt?
https://orokos.com/roll/643404
No, wait, she's 50k Credits in debt!
Well, I can see why she'd go for some radical steps!
...Like, going for a pirate career!

Well, the smart thing would be Scout Service. But she's looking to pay off her debts with One Big Hit!
After all, you can shake off the law. Banks, not so much!

Let's roll it!
https://orokos.com/roll/643408
Made it, if barely.
Athletics-0
We'll see about the rest tomorrow.
Note: Tomorrow is now, for me, but I can't log into Orokos from here. So this one will have to wait.
Ah well, she's just filling for the troupe, anyway:wink:!
http://orokos.com/roll/643804
Survival successful
http://orokos.com/roll/643805
Event
You spend months in the dangerous criminal underworld. Gain one of Streetwise 1, Stealth 1, Melee (any) 1 or Gun Combat (any) 1
She gains Melee (Unarmed)-1
Because she's a former celebrity, and those pirates have grabbing hands that need to be broken.
http://orokos.com/roll/643806
Promotion unsuccessful. They're really underestimating her! She feels like she's crashing against the glass ceiling...
...and it turns out to be an escape hatch to space that shouldn't be open manually.
http://orokos.com/roll/643807
Aging? Her? No way! She was just as strong before!

Continuing with pirate...
http://orokos.com/roll/643811
Melee (Blade)-1
All pirates need that. And she's starting to catch up.
http://orokos.com/roll/643812
Survival failed. Of course.
A police detective forces you to flee and vows to hunt you down. Gain an Enemy.
Was he a former fan? Someone who remembers her from the time she was a minor celebrity? Who knows!
OK, odds are she'll be a pirate with education debt. Hilarious:grin:!
But before that...
http://orokos.com/roll/643814
"I told you that aging doesn't happen to stars! I look the same!"
http://orokos.com/roll/643815
No cash. Pirates and celebrities are all equally bad with money, it seems!
Hilarious.
And the spare character is ready:grin:!

Last edited:
Martin Orlov
Marin Sokolov
M
...I guess not.

He almost made it.
Wait, do I have to?

Success...oh fu**, wait!
In other words, that's my first term. I know that I rolled and succeeded, but can I be a Drifter, instead?
Harl Quinn Harl Quinn

We add Deception, Recon, Athletics (Coordination), Gun combat (Slug) and Stealth-0, since I've got Streetwise-0 already.
Survival successful

And of course, I have an advancement roll. I think Personal development would fit here.
Melee (Unarmed)-1
6+1 Dex
3+1Int
UPP becomes 887833
He made it!
It's a normal service table...almost.
Am I going to get only Science (Biology)-0, since it's not my first term? Or do I get the other Service Skills, too?
I mean, I've got multiple tables, and I can't even roll on them...or do I get some rolls? It's not in the text I'm using (the University supplement).

OK, it's time to roll for graduation (by my reading, if he doesn't graduate, he gets no events). And it's going to be hard, but he's going to get in the OTC, too (an extra -1 penalty on his Education).

Let's toll for Honours as well.
Language (Any)-1

Education debt
Not that it matters.
Vacc-Suit-0
Survival successful
That's actually promotion (as you can guess from the number 7+, Survival is 5+, as per the previous roll).
Personal Development
Str+1
Hmm...obviously, some of the other officers were mocking the "low-class guy". And one of them, Arnaud de Something And Other, was a CXYZWC bruiser...
So Marin put some extra time in the training room in order to show him what muscles and skill can do when combined! (Of course, he's way better at brawling than most guys that know just enough of it to handle a sword properly - unarmed fighting was seen as "low class" on their ship, but popular, because it was quietly ignored by the higher-ups).

Event
The vessel participates in a diplomatic mission! Recon-1, Diplomacy-1 or Steward-1?
It's a tough choice!

Recon-1 it is! Guess which missions the low-class guy was getting? You guessed right!

Officer Table!
Because the best way to close the mouth of a high-born Ensign is to touch your cutlass. Of course.
Advancement successful
Oh, and an Event.

UPP 988893
Life Event
Something Weird!
(OK, I just noticed that at the start, I was rolling his Education as -2. Not going to change anything, I just found it funny:grin:!)
He might be weak, but he's got an ability none of those higher-ups has! You think he's going to try and use it as well as possible?

Aging
10k Credits
1k Credits
10k Credits
I'm sure Harl Quinn Harl Quinn doesn't have any ideas what to do with that fact:evil:!

Telepathy-0
No Clairvoyance
No Teleportation
No Awareness
No Telekinesis, either.
Ah well...

OK, does he get to be in the Psion Career, at all:grin:? The text of the Event said "you can take the Psion Career". But I'm not sure whether I need to roll. And it's unlikely he'd make the roll, too...
Anyway, I'll stop here until we have a Referee ruling on that (and on the University's skills, please:grin:)!
On second thought, let's stop here. He's going to have a trump card...but it's not likely to work often. It's just a small trump card, if you get my meaning:devil:!
With university, your first term in university you get all the skills on the "service skills" table as well as a specialization. The other three terms you get a single roll for a specialty skill, service skill, advanced education or personal development, just like any other career.

With regard to the Psion career, if you get an automatic pass to enter, you don't have to roll. As a psion, your character doesn't get their basic training from the service skills table. Instead, they receive all the skills on the specialist table for their profession.

Laoise O'Connor
I think this one should be a female Traveller. Not sure yet, but I like variety...
OK, let's do this.
Heh, she's more educated than Marin when he began! And since they'd share a homeworld...
Art (song)-0
Streetwise-0
No luck here, either!
Art (Dance)-0
Art (Writing)-0
Carouse-0
Deception-0
Persuade-0
Steward-0

Barely survived the term
No luck in promotion
Obviously, success. She got +1 Soc from...dancing almost nude for a controversial art director, but somehow - without it seeming vulgar:tongue:?
Benefit+1
Contact

3rd term:
From the Service Skill table (?) she gets Admin-0 because she needs to take better care of her cash!
Severely injured? I guess someone who envied her professional success attacked her!
+1 Int!
Ouch!

Well, the smart thing would be Scout Service. But she's looking to pay off her debts with One Big Hit!

Let's roll it!
Made it, if barely.
Athletics-0
Note: Tomorrow is now, for me, but I can't log into Orokos from here. So this one will have to wait.
Survival successful
Event
You spend months in the dangerous criminal underworld. Gain one of Streetwise 1, Stealth 1, Melee (any) 1 or Gun Combat (any) 1
Because she's a former celebrity, and those pirates have grabbing hands that need to be broken.
Promotion unsuccessful. They're really underestimating her! She feels like she's crashing against the glass ceiling...
...and it turns out to be an escape hatch to space that shouldn't be open manually.

Melee (Blade)-1
Was he a former fan? Someone who remembers her from the time she was a minor celebrity? Who knows!
But before that...
Hilarious.

Wow. A pirate to give my friend's character Bette Noire a run for her money... Wow... Lots of good stuff in both to work with... Do you want to run both right away or go with one or the other first? Let me know and I'll post their first turn tomorrow night.

Last edited:
With university, your first term in university you get all the skills on the "service skills" table as well as a specialization. The other three terms you get a single roll for a specialty skill, service skill, advanced education or personal development, just like any other career.
Despite it not being his first term? Well, Roger that... so much the better!
Wait, what four terms? I'm reading it as lasting four years.
Did I totally misread it? Or do you mean eventual Graduate school (which he didn't get into, since he didn't make his Honours roll)?

With regard to the Psion career, if you get an automatic pass to enter, you don't have to roll. As a psion, your character doesn't get their basic training from the service skills table. Instead, they receive all the skills on the specialist table for their profession.
I might have to age him another 4 years, then:smile:!
Question: what happens if/when you roll an improvement to an ability the PC has no talent for?

Wow. A pirate to give my friend's character Bette Noire a run for her money... Wow... Lots of good stuff in both to work with...
Thank you! It's all the dice's merit:wink:! (I might have mentioned it, but my players are persuaded that any dice in my presence develop a macabre sense of humor mirroring my own - even digital dice, according to some:devil:).

Do you want to run both right away or go with one or the other first? Let me know and I'll post their first turn tomorrow night.
I was planning to run Martin Orlov first, and possibly to alternate. (Sorry, slight edit of the name, but Marin Sokolov reminds me of two local guys - and both are really unlike him in personality).
But, if you've got more ideas for her, I can do that, too:tongue:! I like them both, and it's always better to play a character that fits with the Referee's vision (or even better, one that gives the GM ideas).

For the group's skill package, we're going with the Traveller package:

Traveller Skill Package: This is an all-round skill package, good for a campaign where the characters are trading one week and blowing things up the next.
Pilot (any)-1, Sensors-1, Comms-1, Gunner (any)-1, Gun Combat (any)-1, Persuade-1, Stealth-1, Medic-1.

M Mike (Rwolf) was assigned Medic-1.
Daniel Martinez Daniel Martinez (Gren) took Pilot (spacecraft)-1.
K Krajin (Kheilor) took Persuade-1.

That leaves Sensors-1, Comms-1, Gunner (any)-1, Gun Combat (any)-1, and Stealth-1 to choose from, AsenRG AsenRG.

Once AsenRG has chosen his skill, we'll raffle the remaining skills off with a roll of 1d6 per character, rerolling ties.

Last edited:
Despite it not being his first term? Well, Roger that... so much the better!
Wait, what four terms? I'm reading it as lasting four years.
Did I totally misread it? Or do you mean eventual Graduate school (which he didn't get into, since he didn't make his Honours roll)?

D'oh! You're right. One term = four years. The term gives you all the "service skills" and one specialty skill or whatever other table you choose to roll on for university.

Question: what happens if/when you roll an improvement to an ability the PC has no talent for?
You mean an improvement to a low ability score? Well, if an ability score increase isn't going to wreck the character concept, I would just take it, otherwise choose where you feel the improvement should go or choose a skill.

I was planning to run Martin Orlov first, and possibly to alternate. (Sorry, slight edit of the name, but Marin Sokolov reminds me of two local guys - and both are really unlike him in personality).
But, if you've got more ideas for her, I can do that, too:tongue:! I like them both, and it's always better to play a character that fits with the Referee's vision (or even better, one that gives the GM ideas).

I'll go over both of them today and tonight and work out any plot threads... Heh... Hehheheheheh... Hahahaha... MUAHAHAHAHA... :devil: *AHEM* Yes. Plot threads.

D'oh! You're right. One term = four years. The term gives you all the "service skills" and one specialty skill or whatever other table you choose to roll on for university.
OK, now I know why people try to get in:grin:!

You mean an improvement to a low ability score? Well, if an ability score increase isn't going to wreck the character concept, I would just take it, otherwise choose where you feel the improvement should go or choose a skill.
What is this "character concept" thing people keep telling me about:tongue:? I've just got a lifepath...
So I'll roll a term for Martin Orlov as Psychic Warrior.
(BTW, if you think Laoise was meant to be a pirate...you'd be wrong. It just began to make sense due to the bills).

I'll go over both of them today and tonight and work out any plot threads... Heh... Hehheheheheh... Hahahaha... MUAHAHAHAHA... :devil: *AHEM* Yes. Plot threads.
Enjoying the Refereeing, I see:grin:!

For the group's skill package, we're going with the Traveller package:

Traveller Skill Package: This is an all-round skill package, good for a campaign where the characters are trading one week and blowing things up the next.
Pilot (any)-1, Sensors-1, Comms-1, Gunner (any)-1, Gun Combat (any)-1, Persuade-1, Stealth-1, Medic-1.

M Mike (Rwolf) was assigned Medic-1.
Daniel Martinez Daniel Martinez (Gren) took Pilot (spacecraft)-1.
K Krajin (Kheilor) took Persuade-1.

That leaves Sensors-1, Comms-1, Gunner (any)-1, Gun Combat (any)-1, and Stealth-1 to choose from, AsenRG AsenRG.

Once AsenRG has chosen his skill, we'll raffle the remaining dice skills off with a roll of 1d6 per character, rerolling ties.
Do I take just one for each of the characters? Or one that applies for both:smile:?
In the latter case, I'll take Gun Combat (slugs)-1 for both. In the former, she gets Gun Combat (slugs) and he gets Stealth-1.

What is this "character concept" thing people keep telling me about:tongue:? I've just got a lifepath...
So I'll roll a term for Martin Orlov as Psychic Warrior.
(BTW, if you think Laoise was meant to be a pirate...you'd be wrong. It just began to make sense due to the bills).
Looking forward to seeing what Martin comes up with as a psi-warrior. As for Laoise, I was actually referring to her ageless beauty. Bette Noire had the same factor bestowed on her by a misjump.

Enjoying the Refereeing, I see:grin:!
What? Who, me? :wink:

Do I take just one for each of the characters? Or one that applies for both:smile:?
In the latter case, I'll take Gun Combat (slugs)-1 for both. In the former, she gets Gun Combat (slugs) and he gets Stealth-1.
We're going with the latter.

OK, then....
I'm going to edit the guy's name.
Then I'm rolling for both of them in the university.
Then I'll remove the skill-0 I'd picked for both of them, and add another 6 skill-0 from the other table.
Then I'll roll for his term as Psi Warrior.
Finally, I'm adding Gun Combat (Slug weapons)-1 to both of them. Seems like they just picked it up without really trying to:grin:!

Martin Orlov
M

...I guess not.

He almost made it.
Wait, do I have to?

Success...oh fu**, wait!
Harl Quinn Harl Quinn

Survival successful

Melee (Unarmed)-1
6+1 Dex
3+1Int
UPP becomes 887833
He made it!
It's a normal service table...almost.
Am I going to get only Science (Biology)-0, since it's not my first term? Or do I get the other Service Skills, too?
I mean, I've got multiple tables, and I can't even roll on them...or do I get some rolls? It's not in the text I'm using (the University supplement).

Art (writing)
Investigate
Advocate
Trade (Any)...
Science (Chemistry)
Science (Biology)

https://orokos.com/roll/644353
Figures. Art (Dancing)-1
He went to lots of clubs. And when you ain't got the money, you can be the better dancer...if you want the girls, I mean.

Let's roll for Honours as well.
Language (Any)-1

Education debt
Not that it matters. (It would have been covered by the military).
Vacc-Suit-0
Survival successful
Personal Development
Str+1

Event
It's a tough choice!

Officer Table!
Advancement successful
Oh, and an Event.

UPP 988893
Life Event
Something Weird!

Aging
10k Credits
1k Credits
10k Credits

Telepathy-0
No Clairvoyance
No Teleportation
No Awareness
No Telekinesis, either.
Ah well...

OK, time to roll a term as Psi-Warrior!
Service skills...
I've got Telepathy-0 already from basic training. And since getting the same Ability twice at 0 doesn't make it a 1, I'll just pick the Any Skill option.
Medic-0
He finally puts his education to good use. (And with Biology for a chained roll, he can be a medic in a pitch:grin:).
OK, let's see if he survives.
https://orokos.com/roll/644374
He does. I can't get any more Cash Rolls, but he can get another benefit, at least.
https://orokos.com/roll/644375
Promoted!
https://orokos.com/roll/644376
Life Event.
https://orokos.com/roll/644377
New Contact!
He was dispatched with a Clairvoyant chick to take care of some smugglers. They hit it off, and he could call her...though it might cost him.
Unless Harl Quinn Harl Quinn has other suggestions?
And, rolling for his promotion skill, I get...
https://orokos.com/roll/644378
Awareness.
According to the GM, this means I can take any skill.
I guess I'll have Battle Dress-1, then! Obviously, people with such skills are getting the best, even if they're weak at them. (Besides, his rank's title is Marine. I rest my case!)

But hey, I've got an Aging roll and two Benefit Rolls to make!
https://orokos.com/roll/644379
No effect from age at 38.
...OK, normally, I wouldn't stop here. But I'm not sure what is the term limit for this game. (I've got 4 terms and university so far, judging by my aging roll).
GM? Should I muster out already, or can I roll another term?
Oh, and I now have Gun Combat-1 for him as an automatic skill increase. I'll just take Gun Combat (energy)-1, since he gets to pick the Gun Combat (Slug), same as Laoise.

OK, let's do this.
Art (song)-0
Streetwise-0
No luck here, either!
Art (Dance)-0
Art (Writing)-0
Carouse-0
Deception-0
Persuade-0
Steward-0

Barely survived the term
No luck in promotion
Benefit+1
Contact

3rd term:
From the Service Skill table (?) she gets Admin-0 because she needs to take better care of her cash!

Art (Painting)-0
Art (Acting)-0
Deception-0
Advocate-0
Broker-0
Social Science (anthropology)-0

https://orokos.com/roll/644357
Advocate-1
Ideal for when you have to prove you weren't copying other people's art pieces:grin:!

https://orokos.com/roll/643399

+1 Int!
Ouch!

Let's roll it!
Made it, if barely.
Athletics-0
Survival successful
Event

Melee (Blade)-1
But before that...
Hilarious.

When it comes to Gun Combat you pick if its Slug Rifles or Pistols, Or Energy Rifles or Pistols.

Thank you. I'm going to edit that.

No worries! MGT 2nd edition made it more slim with that!
I know. That's why I forgot it's different in MgT 1e, actually:smile:!

OK, next term. (Also, ***k that, I just closed the tab where I was writing the post... I'm tempted to give you the rolls.
https://orokos.com/roll/644560
Psi-2 now! He's no longer among the 10 000 weakest psions in the Galaxy (whose services are offered at a discount)!
https://orokos.com/roll/644561
https://orokos.com/roll/644562
Survived, barely. No promotion this term.
https://orokos.com/roll/644563
No Aging: Age happens to other people's characters, it seems.
(I forgot to roll an event this term. https://orokos.com/roll/644569 is the one: He got an opportunity to screw over a friend using his abilities, and get ahead in life. He declined, after a long internal struggle).

Next term: https://orokos.com/roll/644564
Clairvoyance...an ability Martin is incapable of ever learning.
OK, that means - by the GM's answer - that I can add Telepathy instead. So, Telepathy-1 finally!
https://orokos.com/roll/644570
https://orokos.com/roll/644571
Survived and got promoted!
https://orokos.com/roll/644572
And got Telepathy-2, of course.
https://orokos.com/roll/644575
Aging...he lost 1 Endurance. Not that it matters much, for now...so he can still be ageless.
977893-2
Oh, frakk it!
https://orokos.com/roll/644590
A mishap, but he's not ejected from the career!
https://orokos.com/roll/644591
It could have been worse, right?...but how?
He telepathically contacted something dangerous. Lost 1 Psi, persistant nightmares...
And what does the phrase "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'naglfhtagn" even mean:grin:?
977893-1

Next term:
https://orokos.com/roll/644592
Teleportation. You kidding me?
OK, Telepathy-3!
https://orokos.com/roll/644593
Survived
https://orokos.com/roll/644594
And promoted!
https://orokos.com/roll/644595
https://orokos.com/roll/644597
Gained another level of Melee due to specialist training (event).
Now for the promotion...
https://orokos.com/roll/644598
Yeah! Int+1!
977993-1
https://orokos.com/roll/644601
OK, dat sacks!
765993-1
Time to muster out?
Well, reasonable people would probably do that. Hmm...

Not me!
(I actually started rolling...but, Harl Quinn Harl Quinn - Challenge Accepted:devil:!)
https://orokos.com/roll/644605
https://orokos.com/roll/644606
https://orokos.com/roll/644608
https://orokos.com/roll/644609
Personal development twice FTW! Also: survived and promoted
875993-1
Event:
https://orokos.com/roll/644611
Well, failed roll (I didn't inpur "2d6" correctly).
https://orokos.com/roll/644612
Life Event:
https://orokos.com/roll/644613
New Contact
...And I think he should start anagathics this term:devil:!

That would be reasonable.
Should I do it?
Well, why should he care? Just because of some money?
No way!
And no anagathics roll, either. But he'd be in even deeper debt, and without money for another dose.
Hmm...worst of all is, I want to roll 2d6-9:grin:! Can I just roll it to see what would have happened?
No fair! I ain't doing any stinking Spice! Age happens to other people, I don't need your "spice", Duke Leto!
https://orokos.com/roll/644617
775993-1
He's a 54-yo telepath who looks like he was 35 (at least to the inexperienced chicks). Don't you hate this guy:tongue:?
https://orokos.com/roll/644603
That's "2, 2, 3, 4"
But wait, I've got 3 more from benefits!
https://orokos.com/roll/644620
And "4, 4, 5"
Screw that.
4 Ship Shares, 3 Contacts, and Traveller's Aid Society...3 times:grin:!
Oh, and he got Leadership-1 along the way. And was close to being promoted from Captain to Force Commander...but hit the "glass ceiling" for weak telepaths, and was "advised" to retire, and take his 10 000 Cr/Year pension.

Character finished! It was fun.

Last edited:
Does anyone want to have a Connection with a MCILF (Minor Celebrity) turned pirate:tongue:? And/or with a guy who worked for the gourvernment, but is really evasive about the exact bureaucratic department:grin:?
The scar on his left forearm is from inspecting a plant that really wasn't safe, I swear:gunslinger:!

If you could break down the sheets into something easier to follow and read we can look at them and see! xD

If you could break down the sheets into something easier to follow and read we can look at them and see! xD
I shall set to work on this. But it's going to take me a while, for reasons obvious and not-so-obvious (except to me:smile:).

Here's the MCILF:grin:!
Laoise O'Connor
F, 798558, Homeworld: Federation of Arden, Jewell Subsector
Art (song)-0
Streetwise-0
Failed to get in University, but(t) got into Entertainers - you know: dancing, singing, Instagram?
So she learned the basics of the new lifestyle...
Art (Dance)-0
Art (Holographic)-0
Carouse-0
Deception-0
Persuade-0
Steward-0
It was hard at first...until One of her works made her a minor celebrity.
So she stopped being "a struggling artist", but didn't get invited in the Major League. Which was, of course, the Major League's fault!
And she gains...Carouse-1! Obviously she went to lots of wild parties. During one of them, she was invited to participate in a controversial activity... so she got +1 Soc from...dancing almost nude for a controversial art director, but somehow - without it seeming vulgar:tongue:?
In short, she became famous for being famous.
Still no luck with Big League. Screw BL! Time for University! They're going to respect her once she's got a diploma!
Though, she ended that period in her life with no cash: she spent it all (on hookers?)
And she learns about stuff she didn't know yet...
Art (Acting)-0
Art (Painting)-0
Advocate-0 (because you need to prove you weren't copying a famous piece you've never heard of before)
Broker-0 (because she needs to trade her art better)!
Deception-0 (art is deception)
Social Science (anthropology)-0 ('cuz natives sometimes have great pieces)!
...and she got smarter, too. 798659
But still she fails to graduate- someone who envied her professional success attacked her! With acid!
And on top of it, she was 50k Credits in debt! Well, one can see why she'd go for some radical steps...
There, she improved her athletic ability.
Athletics-0
Spending months in the dangerous criminal underworld, she gains Melee (Unarmed)-1
And yet again...she didn't manage to get an authority position! They're really underestimating her! She feels like she's crashing against the glass ceiling...
...although some would say it was an escape hatch to space that shouldn't be open manually.
At this point, she was 34...but Aging? Her? No way! She was just as strong before! She'd just never been very strong!
In the years, she also learned using a cutlas proficiently.
Melee (Blade)-1
All pirates need that. And she's starting to catch up. Or so she felt...
Right until a police detective forced her to flee and vowed to hunt her down. Was he a former fan? Someone who remembers her from the time she was a minor celebrity, and hated seeing her notorious like that? Who knows!
Gain an Enemy.
Her only consolation: at 38 she can boldly claim: "I told you that aging doesn't happen to stars! I look the same!"
But she's still got no cash. Pirates and celebrities are all equally bad with money, it seems!
Tl;dr: Laoise O'Connor doesn't like the description MCILF, because "it makes her seem like older women". She's 38, claims to look like she's 20, and most people agree she looks to be 25 at most.
She used to be a former minor celebrity, though, so it fits. But that was before she went to university...and got attacked with acid-to-the-face by a slighly jealous and very unhinged co-student. She didn't finish her studies, claiming she couldn't be asked to keep visiting THAT place.
Then she disappeared. She says she was in a mercenary group, and claims being under an NDA.
But for some reason, she's looking over her shoulder, and avoids cops. Curious, that...especially when one mentions that she seems used to close-quarter combat and her tactics are geared towards avoiding environmental damage.
Almost like a pirate, no?

Last edited:
I really advise the GM to read it...for entertainment purposes:tongue:! But there's a tl'dr below for anyone who doesn't need it.
Marin Sokolov
M
Starting skill: Streetwise and Language.

Tried to get into University, being smart enough to know he needs more book learning...but not studious enough to succeed. Though he almost made it.
Well, he was thinking of submitting to the Draft then. But instead, he went to see a drinking buddy. And the buddy needed help to show a tough guy a lesson...
He presented himself more or less well (holding the tough guy until his friend managed to apply the ancient combat method of knuckleduster2face). The friend then offered him a job as a bouncer and took him under his wing
Deception, Recon, Athletics (Coordination), Gun combat (Slug) and Stealth-0, since I've got Streetwise-0 already.
Martin made it, more by learning to persuade people to calm down than by punching them. It worked with much less fuss!
Promoted-gain Persuade 1 (totally fitting a Bouncer).
In the end, he returned the favour. He could have backstabbed the friend that got him on the door. Instead, he covered him, and gained an Ally!
In return, the friend taught him to really fight well.
Melee (Unarmed)-1
Then Martin left, having become more coordinated and wiser. That was just a job in the meantime. Both of them knew that.
UPP becomes 887833
This time, he made it - and despite having to catch up, joined the Officer Training Course of the Navy, on top of it.
Art (writing)-0
Investigate-0
Advocate-0
Trade (cooking)-0 (students are always hungry).
Science (biology)-0
Science (chemistry)-0
He gained Art (Dancing)-1 (Because you can be either the rich new student, or the well-dancing new student...or you ain't getting no chicks!)
Language (Any)-1 (due to the Meeting aliens/people from a different culture Event).

Most importantly...He actually graduated! And it means he's qualified for a Commission, too!
Well, no Honours graduate...but since he knew where he'd started from, he doubted any of his peers had achieved more in the last four years.
And he'd even managed to get on a planet-funded program for "underprevileged kids". So his tuition's price came down to: Free!

He was planning on a long, successful career on board a Navy ship, too! After all, he got promoted to Ensign in his first term!
Vacc-Suit-0
Melee (Blade)-1
Str+1
All was not rosy: obviously, some of the other officers were mocking the "low-class guy". And one of them, Arnaud de Something And Other, was a CXYZWC "noble bruiser"...
So Marin put some extra time in the training room in order to show him what muscles and skill can do when combined! (Of course, he's way better at brawling than most guys that know just enough of it to handle a sword properly - unarmed fighting was seen as "low class" on their ship, but popular, because it was quietly ignored by the higher-ups. Arnaud got a trashing in private, but was gracious enough to acknowledge his defeat and stop bothering Martin - as long as nobody else ever knew about him losing).

Meanwhile, his vessel participated in a diplomatic mission!
Recon-1
He improved his ability to spot saboteurs. You can guess what kind of missions the low-class guy was getting.
As time went, Martin was improving his cutlass-fencing technique. Because experience had proved that the best way to close the mouth of a high-born Ensign is to touch your cutlass meaningfully...and to have a reputation for using it on pirates.
As a bonus, the reputation also helped him to get promoted, too!
UPP 988893
That was when IRIS contacted him, and things got seriously weird. They suspected he has latent talents...
Psionic Instituted, meet Orlov. Martin, meet Psionic Institute!
And he proved himself to be a Psion, alright, but a very weak one...
But, weak as he might be, he still had an ability none of those higher-ups had. Of course he was up for training and deployment in an elite unit! Though age was startingto slow him down, he still looked and felt young!
978893-1
However, the uncomfortable truth is that after the testing, which he was able to pay for out of his savings (21k Credits), he was left with no money and 84k Credits in debt for the training!
Which he stopped his abilities from deteriorating further, but he wouldn't have been very powerful even if he'd been discovered as an 18 yo rookie...
And his only talent was telepathy.
Telepathy-0
Still! Everyone with such abilities, anyone at all, is important, IRIS recruitment said! And yes, they confirmed there might be a place for him in their ranks. Emphasis on ranks, especially given his background...He can become part of the Psi-Warrior elite, though!
He had to learn the basics of medicine first, though, they said, gathering their things. Every life of such an individual is valuable! Of course, if you don't have the patience for such a course...
Who told you I ain't got the patience?

Medic-0
Battle Dress-1
Gun combat (Energy rifle)-1
He finally put his education to good use (though he was better at being in a battle dress and using the energy rifle, one could argue). But he actually got promoted, too, and quickly so!
Obviously, people with such skills are getting the best, even if they're weak at them. (Besides, his rank's title is Marine. I rest my case!)
He was dispatched with a Clairvoyant chick to take care of some smugglers. They hit it off, and he could call her...though it might cost him for real favours. She was one of the lucky ones to get tested before she was 20, and they were both new in IRIS...and people were shooting at them with anti-materiel weapons. Neither of them was going to forget those first days.
The excitement carried him on, and he seemed almost ageless, despite nearing his 40ies. Some actually suspected him of using anagathics, but he just laughed off the accusation.
"People born at my planet age slower. It's in the air, guys!"
Diligent training also helped him get somewhat stronger (meaning he no longer was among the 10 000 weakest psions in the Galaxy - whose services are offered at a discount)!
But there were battles this term. Nothing where he got injured, though some shots came close (and others ricocheted off the battle dress).
And despite not being promoted this term, he remained ageless at 40-something. The colleagues offered to buy him a birtday cake with the number 30...and got distressed at the truth.
He also had an opportunity to screw over a friend using his abilities. Had he revealed a code he had accidentally gotten from a friend - employed by a bank - to some other friends that he took care to never introduce to her...
He declined, after a long internal struggle.
In the next years, he finally improved his telepathic abilities. He claims that the sudden leap was due to not misusing it for profit. And he got promoted, again. A lesser man might have become religious, as Martin puts it.
Telepathy-2
Age was kind to him, too.
977893-2
His own telepathic ability, however, weren't. Through an Ancient artifact he was sent to recover for IRIS, he caught a glimpse of a fleet of 500+ biological starships, each in excess of 100,000 tons displacement...and they were shimmering in from jumpspace. He didn't know when or where this will happen but it left him with nightmares.
Lost 1 Psi, persistant nightmares...
977893-1
As he puts it when someone unauthorized asks, "have you ever danced with the Devil under the light of the full moons?"
He had suddenly stopped envying the guys who had Clairvoyance. And he totally supported IRIS's mission of obtaining Ancient artefacts.
Meanwhile, he steadily improved the telepathic abilities that he actually had.
Telepathy-3!
Maybe it was his newly-boosted loyalty that lead to him being sent to him to specialist close-combat training. The instructors revealed to him how to integrate his blade skills with the empty hand.
Melee (unarmed)-2
Int+1!
977993-1
Age, however, finally started taking its toll. So he found himself out of breath more often, and couldn't rely on strength or speed any more.
765993-1
Some people would have left the service at this point. He not only kept taking missions, but got promoted, too - reaching one step below the Lance Corporal.
875993-1
New Contact (noble dlilettante).
And despite the temptation, he didn't start anagathics. Though his aging was again slowed, so some colleagues vowed that he has. Why else does he look at 35 when he's 54?
775993-1
Leadership-1
Then, just as suddenly, he left the IRIS service. Despite getting close to being promoted from Captain to Force Commander, he'd hit the "glass ceiling" for weak telepaths in the PsiWar division, and was "advised" to take his 10 000 Cr/Year pension and retire. Well, he's going to receive nothing from it in the next 8 years...but still!
"You can leave now, Mister Orlov, while your activity still satisfies the requirements of IRIS. Ours is a dangerous job...you should really consider retirement!"
"I'm not afraid."
"It's not an official meeting, and it's off the recored...but I'd advise you to do as I said. You know, before, the Emperor protect, some Internal Equality Bureau moron starts asking whether your lack of promotions is due to any bias against weak telepaths among PsiWar members."
"Is is?"
"It's off the records, remember? We only meet because I like you. You're not discharged, and can continue your exemplary service...but you should really consider retirement!"

All he had were some (4) Ship Shares, 3 different memberships in Traveller's Aid Society, and the comm numbers or other procedures for contacting a mobs boss right-hand man, a well-known movie director, and a mercenary Captain.
It was time to find a new line of employment. Probably among the stars.

Gun Combat (slug pistols)-1 from the Package.
Melee (Blade)-3 from meeting some Aslans and putting more effort in practice.
Tl:dr: Martin Orlov is a 54 yo ex-Navy (2nd rank), ex-government service "bureaucrat" (Rank: 4th rank). You can't get him to tell you his division, though.
He is in curiously good shape, and looks 35-40 at most. He explains it by the air of his home planet, and "It's just that I got into the habit of working out regularly why I was working the door...hey, I had to pay for my university studies somehow! It's only later that I found out there was a program that offered financing. They axed it recently, I hear. Bastards."

Last edited:
Here's my ex-Marine

Name: Gren Danalio

Race: Human

Characteristics:
Strength: 7
Dexterity: 9
Endurance: 11
Intelligence: 7
Education: 9
Social: 7

Skills - accumulate skills per rules)
Athletics(any) 0
Battle Dress 2
Carouse 0
Computers 0
Explosives 1
Gun Combat (any)
- Slug Pistol -1
- Slug Rifle - 1
- Shotgun -1
Heavy Weapons(any) 0
Leadership 1
Melee (blade) 3
Sensors 1
Stealth 0
Streetwise 0
Tactics(military) 1
Zero-G 1
Pilot (spacecraft) -1

Career History:
Career: Marines = Terms: 5

Rank History:
Career: Marines = Rank: 3

Event History - characteristic, skill and benefit effects are applied automatically)
Marine Event: You are assigned to a black ops mission. Gain a +2 DM to your next Advancement roll
Marine Event: A mission goes disastrously wrong due to your commander’s error or incompetence, but you survive. You report him and gain a +2 DM to your next Advancement roll
Marine Event: You are on the front lines of a planetary assault and occupation and gain a skill
Marine Event: You are given advanced training in a specialist field
Marine Event: You are assigned to an assault on an enemy fortress. You find yourself leading the charge and gain a skill
Age Event: At the age of 38 your Endurance, Strength, and Dexterity were reduced by 1 point

Mishap History-characteristic, skill and benefit effects are applied automatically)
Benefits-characteristic, skill and benefit effects are applied automatically)

Education (added)
Endurance (added)
Armor (Combat Armor)
Education (added)
Armor (Subdermal Armor)

OK, you got "narrative versions" of both bios, and tl;dr versions as well. Frankly, if it wasn't so fun, I wouldn't have done the same characters three times.

Awesome! OKay I can see maybe some potential linking between my Aslan and your Navy fellow, though I am not fully sure where. Take a look at his sheet and tell me where you think! AsenRG AsenRG

@Harl Quin Here's the Roll for my Skill from last remaining skills! I rolled a 6!

AsenRG AsenRG and Daniel Martinez Daniel Martinez - They look good. AsenRG, I'm going to post your first turn tonight.

M Mike, AsenRG AsenRG, Daniel Martinez Daniel Martinez, I need each of you to roll 1d6 for your active characters. Krajin's got a 6. Reroll any tie. Your roll result determines the order you go in picking a skill since we've got four skills left.

The remaining skills in the Traveller Package are: Sensors-1, Comms-1, Gunner (any)-1, and Stealth-1.

No access to the Orokos.com at the moment. If anyone rolls for me, I'd accept the roll!

K Krajin I see you had interacted with an Artefact. How about an otherwise unnoticeable human of middle age coming to take it, and him expressing doubt in his abilities?
In the following friendly fencing/cutlass match he was proven that skill made the man his equal, and they went to drink together after delivering it.
And then woke up in the same cell.

No access to the Orokos.com at the moment. If anyone rolls for me, I'd accept the roll!

K Krajin I see you had interacted with an Artefact. How about an otherwise unnoticeable human of middle age coming to take it, and him expressing doubt in his abilities?
In the following friendly fencing/cutlass match he was proven that skill made the man his equal, and they went to drink together after delivering it.
That works for me. :grin:

AsenRG AsenRG - Your roll is a 3, by the way.

M Mike - Your roll is a 5.

Last edited:

He and his brother encountered this alien technology on their homeworld in Aslan Space, I can see it as him investigating the technology in question as it left them with symptoms of what the medics thought to be Radiation Sickness. I could see a fight with two young Aslan not going well for the human :tongue:

EDIT: See it's been posted already! Okay rolling with it :tongue:

Link Skills taken from this linkage: Melee (Blades) 1 Since this incident made use of such things and hey, blades really drive a point home.

Last edited:
OK, I'll take Melee (Blades)-3 from it. Humans are tool-users and such an incident should remind Martin about it, prompting him to improve:tongue:.

I've updated my sheet on my end, I'll do a repost once all skills have been taken and confirmed.

Here's my ex-Marine

Name: Gren Danalio

Race: Human

Characteristics:
Strength: 7
Dexterity: 9
Endurance: 11
Intelligence: 7
Education: 9
Social: 7

Skills - accumulate skills per rules)
Athletics(any) 0
Battle Dress 2
Carouse 0
Computers 0
Explosives 1
Gun Combat (any)
- Slug Pistol -1
- Slug Rifle - 1
- Shotgun -1
Heavy Weapons(any) 0
Leadership 1
Melee (blade) 3
Sensors 1
Stealth 0
Streetwise 0
Tactics(military) 1
Zero-G 1
Pilot (spacecraft) -1

Career History:
Career: Marines = Terms: 5

Rank History:
Career: Marines = Rank: 3

Event History - characteristic, skill and benefit effects are applied automatically)
Marine Event: You are assigned to a black ops mission. Gain a +2 DM to your next Advancement roll
Marine Event: A mission goes disastrously wrong due to your commander’s error or incompetence, but you survive. You report him and gain a +2 DM to your next Advancement roll
Marine Event: You are on the front lines of a planetary assault and occupation and gain a skill
Marine Event: You are given advanced training in a specialist field
Marine Event: You are assigned to an assault on an enemy fortress. You find yourself leading the charge and gain a skill
Age Event: At the age of 38 your Endurance, Strength, and Dexterity were reduced by 1 point

Mishap History-characteristic, skill and benefit effects are applied automatically)
Benefits-characteristic, skill and benefit effects are applied automatically)

Education (added)
Endurance (added)
Armor (Combat Armor)
Education (added)
Armor (Subdermal Armor)
How about a connection with both my characters?
(Example: Back when you were a young Marine, there was a Navy officer who kept getting the worst assignments because his colleagues didn't seem to like being in his company. That included being saddled with dealing with the Marines, so you'd met him often enough - including in the practice room, where he showed a propensity for dirty fighting that Marines approved of.
Interestingly enough, he also assured your transport during the black-ops mission. And then the government guy asked to talk to him, and you never saw him again. It seems he was deployed elsewhere).

(Example event for Laoise: she was somewhat popular in your youth, though not a big name, and you'd bought a record. Then, a few years later, you met her at a planet which had an university...at a party.
You remembered the title of one of her songs, she offered you an autograph on your copy, and you met again on the next day, too).

AsenRG AsenRG and Daniel Martinez Daniel Martinez - They look good. AsenRG, I'm going to post your first turn tonight.

M Mike, AsenRG AsenRG, Daniel Martinez Daniel Martinez, I need each of you to roll 1d6 for your active characters. Krajin's got a 6. Reroll any tie. Your roll result determines the order you go in picking a skill since we've got four skills left.

The remaining skills in the Traveller Package are: Sensors-1, Comms-1, Gunner (any)-1, and Stealth-1.

Real sorry, I got the alert real late. Please let me know what skill I got.

https://orokos.com/roll/646491

Or, if I can pick a skill, I'll take Stealth-1

Last edited:
How about a connection with both my characters?
(Example: Back when you were a young Marine, there was a Navy officer who kept getting the worst assignments because his colleagues didn't seem to like being in his company. That included being saddled with dealing with the Marines, so you'd met him often enough - including in the practice room, where he showed a propensity for dirty fighting that Marines approved of.
Interestingly enough, he also assured your transport during the black-ops mission. And then the government guy asked to talk to him, and you never saw him again. It seems he was deployed elsewhere).

(Example event for Laoise: she was somewhat popular in your youth, though not a big name, and you'd bought a record. Then, a few years later, you met her at a planet which had an university...at a party.
You remembered the title of one of her songs, she offered you an autograph on your copy, and you met again on the next day, too).

That sounds brilliant. I'm totally on board with that. I'll make notes on my character doc.

So for Marin, I would've met him during my 1st term. And for Laoise since her 3rd term was University, I would've met her some time during my last (5th) Term, probably after my "assault on enemy forces", but I would've known about her during my stint in the 5th Frontier War. Maybe she wrote and sang some "Toy Soldiers" kinda song. I'm a sucker for those things!

:hehe::hehe::hehe:

Last edited:
Real sorry, I got the alert real late. Please let me know what skill I got.

https://orokos.com/roll/646491

Or, if I can pick a skill, I'll take Stealth-1

I think we're getting a bit mixed up here with who's got what skills... The overall Traveller skill package is: Pilot (any)-1, Sensors-1, Comms-1, Gunner (any)-1, Gun Combat (any)-1, Persuade-1, Stealth-1, Medic-1.

In the first pick the following skills were chosen:
M Mike (Rwolf): Medic-1
Daniel Martinez Daniel Martinez (Gren): Pilot (spacecraft)-1
K Krajin (Kheilor): Persuade-1
AsenRG AsenRG (Laoise): Gun Combat (slug pistol)-1
AsenRG AsenRG (Marin): Gun Combat (slug pistol)-1

That leaves: Sensors-1, Comms-1, Gunner (any)-1, Stealth-1.

We have five characters and four skills left. The dice rolls for choosing skills are:
K Krajin (Kheilor, 6)
M Mike (Rwolf, 5)
AsenRG AsenRG (Laoise & Marin, 3)
Daniel Martinez Daniel Martinez (Gren, 3): Stealth-1

Since I've already allowed Laoise and Marin to have Gun Combat (slug pistol) from the previous pick, don't worry about rerolling the tie or about picking something someone else has from this pick; with this many characters we can expect some overlap.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back