Please tell me what its about!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Silverlion

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I downloaded a couple of PWYW games to see if they'd be useful for me, at least when its my turn to run something new. I was very frustrated to see a story for several pages instead of useful information. I am really tired of this--I don't mind a little fiction but I want three important things in a new game: What is the mechanic like? What do player-character do? Does this game need any special resources? (i.e stuff other than friends, pencils, papers, and dice.)

I always turned/scrolled past that stuff in the World of Darkness books... but later I'd read it and usually appreciated it as atmosphere (as with illustrations and such).
I remember connecting with Earthdawn primarily because of some fiction in its quickstart.
Seems like it doesn't bother me so much, so long as there's an actual game there somewhere.

Yes, several CCG communities had to draw up similar questions when people would post up a baffling Deck List and expect accolades or improvement. There are reasons for form following function, for not bait and switching, for conforming to tried and true formulae, for attempting to meet expectations. A lot of people are without editors, basic guidance/judgment, or even a friend who just knows how to tell someone 'No'.

Seen similar with a lot of those "RPGs" in mega charity bundles where you get 100+ games for under $5. It's just sad. So, for a sample common format remember a Rules Booklet is still a book! So put in a book a: title page, copyright, table of contents, contents divided with a logic (any will do...), citation as needed, index, end.

I know, the oppression never ends... :irritated:

I much prefer games that are well-organized and give you a good sense of what they are about from the beginning. On the other hand, if something is PWYW or free, then my expectations are lower, since I'm getting what I paid for.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back