Post a music video you could write an entire campaign based on

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Vile Traveller

Dreamscape Designer
Reaction score
Inspired by the Post a piece of art you could write an entire campaign based on thread.

As per the title, doesn't matter where the art comes from, just any single video that, for you, ignites the fires of your imagination and you could spawn an entire campaign or gameworld from the ideas it generates.

I'm going to cheat and start with a Muse video, because all Muse videos could be the basis of a campaign. Well, this is actually two videos in sequence, so I'm cheating even more...

EDIT: Well, I think it might be better if there's an elevator pitch for the actual campaign you could base on these. I might work my way through my later posts down there, but here goes:

In a dystopian future where the populace is reduced to compliant drug-controlled clones, one small group of miscreants has found a key. A mass-produced mask distributed on a large scale to carefully selected individuals likely to be of use to the movement, featuring a few simple technologies: neural link to other users, wireless systems able to access and infiltrate information infrastructure, multiple sensory enhancers, and an auto-injector of an inoculation to flush and immunise the wearer's system against the control drugs.

Last edited:
I want to run an "enhanced reality" street level not-superheroes game using Blades in the Dark, sort of like Top Boy x Gangs of New York x Gangs of London x Batman '66 x The Question x The Professionals x The Sweeney, but my players are not on board for various reasons. Anyway, here's a music video I like that encapsulates a lot of the vibe I'd be going for:

Last edited:
I want to run an "enhanced reality" street level not-superheroes game using Blades in the Dark, sort of like Top Boy x Gangs of New York x Gangs of London x Batman '66 x The Question x The Professionals x The Sweeney, but my players are not on board for various reasons.
Damn players.

Kick your modern-day characters into some Weird Sci-Fi.

Classic fantasy.

"Are you a badass enough motherfucker to save the universe?"

Can you rescue the untethered souls from the clutches of the Dream Queen?

The world of the Gorillaz seems ripe for this sort of thing. Demonic deals, abandoned super-soldier programs, spirit possessions, islands made of abandoned trash, crime antics gone awry, haunted houses, weird tech, cults, and of course musical excesses and debauchery.

As a bonus, since the Gorillaz canonically exist in the same world as the Powerpuff Girls, all of the above exist as a dark-and-dirty underbelly to the more obvious four-color superheroics that one could also include if desired, much as the Doom Patrol can serve as a counter-point to the JLA.

And of course, there's the mid-apocalypse world of Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys (guest starring Grant Morrison!).

Yes, I like My Chemical Romance. Fight me.

I've mentioned this before but a while back I ran a couple of neo-noir adventures set in the Star Wars universe for no good reason inspired by B.B.King's "Into the Night", which was the theme song for a John Landis film. The gimmick being the the entire of the adventure would occur over the course of one night.

It is a bit of a stretch in terms of this thread as (1) I am not sure it's really a video (2) the game inspiration is more to do with the title of the song and to some extent the movie (showing how that city is entirely transformed and almost alien in the nighttime compared to how experience it during day time) rather than inspired by a video, and (3) 2 stand-alone adventure are not a campaing.

Anyway here's a video of sorts.

Last edited:
Not a video but a trailer. I would love to at least do a one-shot adventure based on a late 80s/early 90s "vampire rock gang."

Im Land der Infizierten gehört die Macht den Gesunden.

EDIT: The global contagion caused massive loss of life across the planet before an effective vaccine was found. However, with immunity limited to a period of a few months at a time, collapse of economic structures, and the imminent breakdown of social order and civilisation itself, the rich and powerful have stepped up to reassert control. The masses are kept in line - and at work - through controlled access to vaccines, ensuring they keep the economic wheels turning and do not get ideas above their station. But every system of control has a weakness, and is subject to breakdown from within.

Last edited:
And of course, there's the mid-apocalypse world of Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys (guest starring Grant Morrison!).

Yes, I like My Chemical Romance. Fight me.
And me.

I've mentioned this before but a while back I ran a couple of neo-noir adventures set in the Star Wars universe for no good reason inspired by B.B.King's "Into the Night", which was the theme song for a John Landis film. The gimmick being the the entire of the adventure would occur over the course of one night.

It is a bit of a stretch in terms of this thread as (1) I am not sure it's really a video (2) the game inspiration is more to do with the title of the song and to some extent the movie (showing how that city is entirely transformed and almost alien in the nighttime compared to how experience it during day time) rather than inspired by a video, and (3) 2 stand-alone adventure are not a campaign.

Anyway here's a video of sorts.
Works for me. There was an old pre-handover Hong Kong Government video showing various public housing estates and facilities in a sweet, romanticised kind of way, to the tune of Louis Armstrong's "What A Wonderful World". I can't find the original, but the new post-2019 version is definitely cyberpunk dystopia material. I won't post it here because of Rule One, but you can search "Hong Kong" and "And I think to myself, what a wonderful world." on YouTube and it'll come up. I find it hard to watch because I saw all that going down, but it's worth a look if you haven't seen it.

[Monster Building 怪獸大廈]

I would love to play in a campaign that feels like this, urban fantasy without being too grimdark, maybe Part-Time Gods or something similar.
I know that place well, 5 minutes' walk from my flat before I fled. Known as 怪獸大廈 (Monster Building), good coffee shop. The Japanese visual arts love the Hong Kong aesthetic (see Ghost in the Shell), though they tend to sanitise it for their consumption which is why you get the not-too-grimdark vibe - in reality it was pretty grimdark before 2019, and is very definitely grimdark now post-crackdown.

Last edited:
EDIT: The nightmarish Walled City is a dimensional warp where a few individuals have discovered the art of breaking through reality from one point to another. But can they actually escape the City itself, and how and why are the breakers connected to one another?

Last edited:
This is a cheap pick because the track was already the score for a computer game which is now a p&p roleplaying game (2D20 I fear), so the idea of turning it into a campaign is a no-brainer.

A Christmas chronicle without the Disneyfied/ Rankin Bass-esk saccharine and child friendly plot/ world. (Okay there is a little of it, but yes.)

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back