Not *could*, *have*...
gerard-trignac-01_orig.jpg

I could look at this all day long
Agone%2C_an_Epic_Roleplaying_Game_in_the_Twilight_Realms.jpg

A campaign in a picture
Symbaroum-Core-Rulebook-16.png

2560x1440-landscape2.jpg

1655858043265.png
Long ago, there was a coup in the cult of creativity, and the elder deity of creativity was cast down from his throne by a merchant deity and her minions. They took over the cult, and during this time some halflings were twisted into a mockery known as Kender. The merchant cult eventually lost power due to dipping their toes in too many things.

A group of wizards from a coastal region stepped in and resurrected the dying cult. These wizards watered down the original teachings in an attempt to gain more followers and were very successful at first. After their successes they lusted for more power which led to them unleashing a foulness upon the land, a creature known as “Fourth.”

What the wizards' cult did not realize was that unleashing such evil upon the world would result in good rising up to meet it. Some of the wizard’s followers began searching for and emulating the old ways. One group tried to replace the wizards by using their earliest teachings. They were known as pathfinders. Others took the original teachings of the elder creator and took them in new directions in a sort of renaissance. The wizards went into hiding. They emerged a few years later and unleashed a new creation. They took the secret of the Troll Lords, and twisted it with their dark merchant cult powers. The wizards worked foul magic which turned elves purple, made orcs no longer evil, and, worst of all, cursed the halflings with an appearance so foul, they would no longer be recognizable.

Armed with a copy of an ancient text by the sage, Tolkien, as well as the original texts of the cult, the players will infiltrate the wizard’s cult and teach the halflings who they really are, rescuing them from this dire fate.

And if that doesn’t work, the characters can join the cult descended from the the White Bear Red Moon cult, and then they can do anything!

Last edited:
View attachment 46921
Long ago, there was a coup in the cult of creativity, and the elder deity of creativity was cast down from his throne by a merchant deity and her minions. They took over the cult, and during this time some halflings were twisted into a mockery known as Kender. The merchant cult eventually lost power due to dipping their toes in too many things.

A group of wizards from a coastal region stepped in and resurrected the dying cult. These wizards watered down the original teachings in an attempt to gain more followers and were very successful at first. After their successes they lusted for more power which led to them unleashing a foulness upon the land, a creature known as “Fourth.”

What the wizards' cult did not realize was that unleashing such evil upon the world would result in good rising up to meet it. Some of the wizard’s followers began searching for and emulating the old ways. One group tried to replace the wizards by using their earliest teachings. They were known as pathfinders. Others took the original teachings of the elder creator and took them in new directions in a sort of renaissance. The wizards went into hiding. They emerged a few years later and unleashed a new creation. They took the secret of the Troll Lords, and twisted it with their dark merchant cult powers. The wizards worked foul magic which turned elves purple, made orcs no longer evil, and, worst of all, cursed the halflings with an appearance so foul, they would no longer be recognizable.

Armed with a copy of an ancient text by the sage, Tolkien, as well as the original texts of the cult, the players will infiltrate the wizard’s cult and teach the halflings who they really are, rescuing them from this dire fate.

And if that doesn’t work, the characters can join the cult descended from the the White Bear Red Moon cult, and then they can do anything!
One should not meddle in the affairs of coastal wizards for they are wealthy and quick to litigate.

Warp World was a disappointment, I didn't like the rules suppressing technology to be honest but I grew up with Gamma World (and The Morrow Project).
I was the exact opposite. I never got into Gamma World, but Warp world was my jam (as was just about anything by BTRC)

Aw, thanks! I've actually been looking for a system to use for it. Ordinarily I'd use Rolemaster or its derivatives but I'm kinda flummoxed. I'm looking for medium crunch with a cool way to incorporate the discovery of ancient magic. I'm inspired by the Arcane Companion from Rolemaster or Talislanta's Archaen Codex. Looking at Novus and Wayfarers right now.
And if you need any help adapting Novus to your ideas, let me know as i am more than willing to lend a hand.

For example, currently working on Libram Arcana, which expands the base 4 Schools of Magic (Divine Magic, High Magic, Mysticism, & Natural Magic), in the core rules to 8 Schools (Divine Magic, High Magic, Mysticism, Natural Magic, Black Magic, Spirit Magic, Sorcery & Wizardry). It also adds in Spell Bases (and new Training Paths for a type of caster called a Weaver, who uses the spell bases to create/cast spells on the fly rather than through codified spells (like casters in the core rules). This product also includes the Magus, who accesses two Schools of Magic, and the Archmage (and Dabbler), who can access all Schools of magic.

For Rolemaster, I always considered Arcane Magic to be the pre-cursor to the current 3 realms. It was often more powerful, but less specialized and more dangerous overall.

And I love your idea of a portal run rampant...... In Novus, you not only have Demons, you also have Devils as well.

Specifically, we have the Abyss, also known as the Nether Realms and Hades, also known as the Nine Hells. These are not just two areas of the lower planes; there are many other Lower Planes. One such grouping of planes is referred to as the Planes of the Dead. Among these you can find the Land of Husks and Rinds, the Ocher Realms, the Greek realm of Tartarus, and the Norse realm of Hel, not to mention Purgatory and many, many more.

The above is an excerpt regarding the Lower Planes. Demons come from the planes known the Abyss or the Nether Realms. Deveils come from the planes known as Hades or the Nine Healls (Undead from the Ocher Realms, etc.). Now, in Novus, Demons and Devils tend to not get along (which you can always change).

In the setting I am working on, Anwyn, there is a portal that randomly spits out Demons and Devils, into a raging river in a deep canyon. This is frequent enough that the river was given the name of Demon's Run. And they usually all end up in Brackenmire, a massive swamp, where they often wage war with one another (and with prehistoric creatures also living in the swamp).

This is the image that encapsulates the campaign I have in my head that I can't quite get out:View attachment 46790 It has been clunking around in there for years. There have been many iterations on paper, never run. I love the ruins in the McBride Rolemaster covers. I want a fantasy megalithic Petra, replete with demons and undead, full of the artifacts that brought the civilization to ruin. My current iteration is called "The Well of 10,000 Souls". Long ago, a king sought immortality (nod to Numenor). To that end, he engineered a massive human sacrifice that of course went horribly awry, opening a portal to the Pales (the Rolemaster Demon realms, I love that name), out of which spewed forth legions of demons and undead, who slew all they found, leaving the civilization in ruins. This portal became known as the Well of 10,000 Souls, and is the source of all the regional asshattery. Most of the demons and undead returned to their own plane, being bored due to lack of prey, but some stayed behind to rule their new kingdom. The Well stands open, a source of new horrors from time to time, and also being a perpetual threat, as no one knows if the horrors will return in force one day. Derivative, I know, but I love that kind of :crap:.
I love those Angus McBride covers and his MERPs stuff too! He always makes chainmail really pop.
1c5f4e3d94c3916cf0678d96b3a9fe49.jpeg

I love those Angus McBride covers and his MERPs stuff too! He always makes chainmail really pop.
Right? They're absolutely magical. He did a lot of historical illustration for Osprey as well. I'm especially fond of the RM covers, and they have always inspired me. There's something about those massive, seemingly empty desert ruins that calls to me. I'm currently dressing up a map of the Ksar of Ait-Ben-Haddou on Roll20. And that contruct on the Arms Law cover! I love constructs, and Rolemaster's "Demons of the Pales" and Shards. Those McBride Rolemaster illustrations never get old for me.

io2HLct.jpg

This has been my desktop background for about a year. I imagine some kind of fantasy society forced underground by an apocalypse or the like. The little bit of light coming from above, with the bats flying in it, is what really makes my wheels turn. I try to come up with a reason the bats could still emerge form the underworld, but the people are still forced to stay below.

View attachment 47380

This has been my desktop background for about a year. I imagine some kind of fantasy society forced underground by an apocalypse or the like. The little bit of light coming from above, with the bats flying in it, is what really makes my wheels turn. I try to come up with a reason the bats could still emerge form the underworld, but the people are still forced to stay below.
Yoink! Adding it to my campaign.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back