Post ONE AND ONLY favorite d&d artwork!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I genuinely took more inspiration from THAT image than I did most of the 'fancy' full color cover art... it's vague, a bit clunky and leaves a whole lot more to the imagination.
It's the image that resonated for me as a kid and fledgeling DM. There's always method in my total lack of respect for the rules!

How many covers are left anyway (that I can remember or care about)? I could post Birthright or a Ravenloft up there, to be one of the cool "cover" kids, with their rules. What's inside the book is what matters. And this is my favourite (AKA The Best) d&d artwork, ever, bar none. It wasn't a cover, but it should have been.

View attachment 46607
Almost all of Dragon and Dungeon Magazines.

For me it's the Ravenloft box set cover. I bought it immediately and it set me on the path to buy nearly everything TSR put out for the line. I even rocked an awesome Ravenloft Spellfire deck eventually.

Attachments

• 51LU0RKBTPL.jpg
    51LU0RKBTPL.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 3
How many covers are left anyway (that I can remember or care about)?
Almost all of Dragon and Dungeon Magazines.

There's also tons of modules, supplements and setting stuff that hasn't been posted yet. More if we include the novels.

Couldn't find a good quality pic of this one, but the original art was awesome. Technically cheating, since I already posted, though. But since we're already down that path...

303432_uy630_sr1200630.jpg

lf

CHEATER! Cast him out for posting more than one pic in defiance of the OP!

Along the same lines, the other Moldvay illustration that really hit me is this rather simple one...

1655506539768.png

I'll admit, I have no idea where that's from. Nipples are a plus though, for sure.

Cat head is Bast from Deities and Demigods. Other one is the succubus from Monster Manual.

There's also tons of modules, supplements and setting stuff that hasn't been posted yet. More if we include the novels.

Couldn't find a good quality pic of this one, but the original art was awesome. Technically cheating, since I already posted, though. But since we're already down that path...

303432_uy630_sr1200630.jpg

lf

Sheesh the female muscularity there is something rarely seen in AD&D art.

looks like folks have moved on from just covers, in which case I present my single favourite piece of art in any D&D product
(in this case the AD&D 2nd edtion Complete Bards Handbook):

33656381403_a2f8789060_o.jpg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back