PREDATION - new Monte Cook Cypher RPG

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I'm half interested in getting the Cypher System Revised Core book and the We Are All Mad book.
The cost of them prevented an impulse buy, but I've put them in my wishlist
I've not played any Cypher game, so want to see how they go at the table
Just itching to pull the trigger out of curioisity...
I personally really like the system, but I dove deep into Numenera, which really disappointed me (to the point that I haven't touched anything else from Monte Cook).

I would earnestly like to try Cypher again in a better-crafted setting some day.

I wonder what sort of things they changed in the Revised system. I always had mixed feelings about this game, cuz the system is a jumble of interesting stuff that seems poorly executed and waiting to fall apart in actual play or scrutiny, if you assess it anywhere beyond "It's a game! Don't think about it so hard!"

The idea of stats that double as a spendable game resource needed to do stuff AND as HP as well just seems set up for failure—the more stuff you do, the closer you are to dying or being disabled. Every time I've read it I want to get rid of stat pools and just use Edge as the stat value instead, then add separate HP and Effort tracks to handle survivability and doing stuff without getting in the way of each other.

I personally really like the system, but I dove deep into Numenera, which really disappointed me (to the point that I haven't touched anything else from Monte Cook).

I would earnestly like to try Cypher again in a better-crafted setting some day.
I have the original edition of Numenera, but it feels to me that the game mechanics may be a bit of a disconnect with the setting.

I haven't had the opportunity to test drive it, but I just get the sense that the core mechanics may be much better placed in a different setting/genre

I do like simple 'narrative' mechanics, but I prefer gritty settings to be a bit more crunchy in regards to game mechanics

Numenera is a bit of a down and dusty setting, so more tactile mechanics would work better in my opinion - like BRP/Mythras/WFRP etc.
(In fact every time I read Numenera, I often think how I would run it with Mythras).

Feels like Cypher may be more suited to pulp action/adventure, supers, cyberpunk future, stuff like that I think it may work quite well with.

I'll probably take the plunge next pay day and order the Cypher Revised core rules and a setting book (maybe We Are All Mad Here, Claim The Sky, or even this new one, Predation).

Just curious

Last edited:
I'm half interested in getting the Cypher System Revised Core book and the We Are All Mad book.
The cost of them prevented an impulse buy, but I've put them in my wishlist
I've not played any Cypher game, so want to see how they go at the table
Just itching to pull the trigger out of curioisity...

It seems like about every year or so, MCG puts a bunch of their stuff on Humble Bundle for a stupidly low price. I kickstarted Numenera, but picked up a bunch of their other titles really cheap using HB. If you're not in any hurry, definitely something to keep an eye out for...

Ok I pulled the trigger on some Cypher loot directly from MCG
Got the pdfs to prove it, and the hardcover books will show up here within the fortnight
I like what I see so far, so hopefully it's not a hard fall at some stage.
Will post my thoughts once I have enough to reflect upon

Ok I pulled the trigger on some Cypher loot directly from MCG
Got the pdfs to prove it, and the hardcover books will show up here within the fortnight
I like what I see so far, so hopefully it's not a hard fall at some stage.
Will post my thoughts once I have enough to reflect upon
I’ll be interested to hear your opinion. I picked up a metric ton of cypher via a humble bundle a while ago and have yet to use it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back