Premises for Call of Cthulhu Adventures from Real Life

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
In my late teens I had a pretty bad drug problem. I was doing a lot of speed. I'm not proud of it, but it's part of my history. Anyway, when I would finally sleep, I would have sleep paralysis, or whatever it's called when you think you're awake, but can't move or even scream. My closest friend at the time, also strung out, once turned to me and said, "I've been having dreams that I can't move." I'm sure it was the drugs. I've heard of similar things happening to people with drug problems, and even eating disorders. And when you think about it, being a speed freak has an eating disorder kind of built into it.

That guy hit me up on Facebook a decade or so ago. I was amazed that he was still alive. And happy to hear that he is now a boring, responsible suburbanite, just like me.
Sleep paralysis is theorized to be the origin of several myths, in particular the Alp, a demon that would sit on peoples chests while they slept and drink blood from their nipples. Last Summer I had a moment of sleep paralysis where I thought an Alp was sitting on my chest and blowing air on my nose. In reality the air was from the fan I kept on at night to keep me cool.
I used to have crippling anxiety and the meds they had me on caused frequent and realistic dreams. They became so regular that I began to map out a shadowy otherworld populated by people. They all looked like the blast shadows that people vaporized by nuclear weapons leave behind.
In one dream of particular note I was forced to marry a girl to solidify a business deal between our parents, and then subsequently tried to flee with her from the town hiding for what felt like several weeks in a forest of giant sequoias.
I actually still have the rough map I drew of the dream world sitting around.
Eventually I stopped the anti-anxiety meds and my dreams stopped being as vivid and regular. Occasionally I get ones like the one previously mentioned when I'm under a lot of stress, but nothing as real feeling as before.
Our brains are weird.

Tibetan book cover, a form of Garuḍa bird. Source: Weibo@神语者—芥

131929776_1975750022566598_4965255696788541959_n.jpg

which just happens to look eerily close to the depiction of satan in the Codex Gigas:

131787061_1095067944261624_236523273641530169_o.jpg

In the small Swedish town Nyköping there are five outcrops with enigmatic rock carvings of unknown age, called "Släbroristningarna". Nobody knows what those carvings represent

131887691_10160478817769112_1461324117540778671_o.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is what Madness sounds like...

Map of the Orient Express

b0z6xoipup861.jpg

High-Res Version here:

Ever since seeing the treatment for hysteria in women in A Most Dangerous Method I thought there could be a good investigation built at the turn of the century to explain the disappearence of hysteria by the 1930s.

How about the Creatonotos Gangis moth as Cthulhu inspiration?

View attachment 25460
Interesting thing about those pheromone organs, they only grow if the moth gets enough poison as a caterpillar. Like a lot of Moths, it needs Pyrrolidizine Alkaloids, a poison in lots of plants used as a defense. I guess if the male doesn’t get enough chemical protection ingested into his system, he’s not worth mating with.

Insects can be absolutely fascinating.

“He wouldn’t share the details behind the technology himself, because his copy of Photoshop isn’t licensed.”

You just know that around name 90, it starts just being stuff like "Gu, Gru, Gurbudu..."

This is from a few years ago, but I just stumbled across it. Not horrific, but could easily become a plot point for a COC, LOTFP, or other weirdness-in-the-real-world game.

I especially like the part where the page of the official Apollo equipment list that mentioned this particular lander also went missing.

I especially like the part where the page of the official Apollo equipment list that mentioned this particular lander also went missing.
I was kinda hoping that someone just up and took it home with them when they decided to scrap it. "Say neighbor that's an interesting lawn ornament you got there!"

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back