Premises for Call of Cthulhu Adventures from Real Life

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Crazy sounding 30s cult in my neck of the woods that I was never aware of!

I'd never heard of this until Expedition Unknown did an episode on it. I can't believe more of has hadn't heard about this. It is PERFECT Call of Cthulhu material.

186841606_2892417207699670_4859137336118144200_n.jpg

this is a juvenile form of the cereal leaf beetle (oulema melanopus) after being parasitized by tetrastichus julis, a parasitoid wasp which lays its eggs inside the larva of the beetle. the eggs hatch within the larvae and begin to feed while it is still alive, before they burst out and kill it—

83qgocys52171.jpg

Swamp sculptures made of mud and algae, by French sculptor Sophie Prestigiacomo.

Saw this in an article about "as seen on TV" flamenco fraud Esteban and his Home Shopping Network guitars, and thought there could definitely be a plot seed in here...

These charges come on the heels of last month's statement from the Musical Instrument Manufacturers Association that the "Esteban"
guitar could not, in fact, be classified as an actual guitar due to the fact that it is constructed out of reclaimed materials such as discarded telephone directories and medical waste.

Though I get more of a Chill then CoC vibe from this one.

Last edited:
197987791_6363634206995548_546139412329022303_n.jpg

I don't think this is completely true - the meme seems to be referring to the Boötes void aka "The Great Nothing", which does contain some gaaxies, they are just very sparse. But maybe someone here more knowedgeable of astronomy can correct me?

View attachment 31867

I don't think this is completely true - the meme seems to be referring to the Boötes void aka "The Great Nothing", which does contain some gaaxies, they are just very sparse. But maybe someone here more knowedgeable of astronomy can correct me?
IIRC it has a few dozen galaxies in a volume that, in our galactic cluster, would contain thousands.

That's also not a picture of it.

But yeah, that space is scarily empty. We can see nearby galaxies with the naked eye, and we can resolve the structure of the M31 galaxy in Andromeda with a small telescope or binocs.

Folks out there - nope.

Last edited:
Maybe it's a cop-out for cosmic horror if the horror is literally cosmic, but “The Sothis Radiant” by Will Murray is one of the few Cthulhu Mythos stories that really creep me out.

IIRC it has a few dozen galaxies in a volume that, in our galactic cluster, would contain thousands.

That's also not a picture of it.

But yeah, that space is scarily empty. We can see nearby galaxies with the naked eye, and we can resolve the structure of the M31 galaxy in Andromeda with a small telescope or binocs.

Folks out there - nope.
Other astronomers soon discovered that the void contained a few galaxies. In 1987, J. Moody, Robert P. Kirshner, G. MacAlpine, and S. Gregory published their findings of eight galaxies in the void. M. Strauss and John Huchra announced the discovery of a further three galaxies in 1988, and Greg Aldering, G. Bothun, Robert P. Kirshner, and Ron Marzke announced the discovery of fifteen galaxies in 1989. By 1997, the Boötes void was known to contain 60 galaxies.
Some astronomers are just hype to spoil a good horror movie premise...

I think the image is of Barnard 68

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back