Premises for Call of Cthulhu Adventures from Real Life

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Talking about good ol' Herb...
researchers connected pigs that had been dead for one hour to a system called OrganEx that pumped a blood substitute throughout the animals’ bodies. The solution — containing the animals’ blood and 13 compounds such as anticoagulants — slowed the decomposition of the bodies and quickly restored some organ function, such as heart contraction and activity in the liver and kidney
Yeah, that's how you make zombies...

Edit: this deserves a bit more context. I fell down a YouTube rabbit hole on this. Looks like there were a lot of local Memphis rappers in the ,90s who were on a horror-core trip. Many of their releases were lo-fi affairs with creepy, atmospheric music, horrific themes, distorted voices, etc. An urban legend sprung up that these cassettes were "sigils", consecrated by murder, and sometimes included actual samples of said murders in the music. Supposedly, only the original cassettes (so no duplicates or copies) possess any dark energies or powers. Not too different from the old Robert Johnson crossroads legends. I think someone could make a neat scenario out of this (I'm already planning on it), and the music could be used to great effect.

Edit 2: some say that the city of Memphis being named after an ancient Egyptian city is indicative of a connection between the Mephis rap sigils and the dark gods of a time long past. Man, this is such a fun internet legend.

Edit 3: holy shit, this scenario is writing itself. How awesome.

Last edited:
Memphis Rap Sigils, cont.

One of the groups that came out of the Memphis scene was Three 6 Mafia, formerly known as Triple 6 Mafia (some of their early self-produced tapes bore the name "666 Mafia"). Here is a documentary by former Three 6 Mafia member Koopsta Knicca (RIP), at the point where he is talking about devil worship, and strange rituals in the Memphis slums. The whole thing is interesting, dude talks a lot about religion and the "New World Order".

Somehow, I've never heard of this but, wow, does it check all the boxes for me. It'll be my next modern horror campaign. Thanks for sharing, Gringnr Gringnr !

Cool! Here is a YouTube channel that has all of the "Sigils", plus an amazing amount of local Memphis rap from that time, much of it with the hallmark horror-core sound.

It does appear that the "Sigils" legend was probably started on 4chan. That Koopsta interview tho...

Before you "love" or "thumbs up" the news of our new fungal overlords, please allow me to convey the true horror:

I'm getting more and more suspicious of the true motives of self-proclaimed nature lovers... :smile:

Last edited:
Before you "love" or "thumbs up" the news of our new fungal overlords, please allow me to convey the true horror:
Twitter link to the sheer terror!!!

I'm getting more and more suspicious of the true motives of self-proclaimed nature lovers... :smile:
That's pretty cool! I didn't know that they could have such grievous injuries and still be able to move!

That's pretty cool! I didn't know that they could have such grievous injuries and still be able to move!

They're relatively simple - no heart or circulatory system; there is some fluid between organs but air is just exchanged through spicules and diffuses into the critter's body. Most insects brains are pretty decentralised amongst the nervous systems as well.

The embalmed heart of Brazil's first emperor, Dom Pedro I, has arrived in the capital Brasilia to mark 200 years of independence from Portugal.
The heart, which lies preserved in a flask filled with formaldehyde, was flown on board a military plane from Portugal.
It will be received with military honours before going on public display at the foreign ministry.
"The heart will be received like a head of state, it will be treated as if Dom Pedro I was still living amongst us," Brazil foreign ministry's chief of protocol Alan Coelho de Séllos said.

On his deathbed, the monarch asked that his heart be removed from his body and taken to the city of Porto, where it is kept in an altar in the church of Our Lady of Lapa.
His body was transferred to Brazil in 1972 to mark the 150th anniversary of independence and has been kept in a crypt in São Paulo.
Could be inspiration for Cthulhu, but maybe more for a vampire setting.

They're relatively simple - no heart or circulatory system; there is some fluid between organs but air is just exchanged through spicules and diffuses into the critter's body. Most insects brains are pretty decentralised amongst the nervous systems as well.
Since you're downplaying the Most Objectively Terrifying Thing in the Entire Universe, I can only weep that the fungi have gotten to you.

Who among us is safe?!?!?!?

Since you're downplaying the Most Objectively Terrifying Thing in the Entire Universe, I can only weep that the fungi have gotten to you.

Who among us is safe?!?!?!?

I, for one, welcome our fungal overlords - they're really more like my colleagues. Just yeasterday I was hanging out with my homies looking at cracks in mycellium. Todd did a really champignon job just standing on his stool - and even fixed the brackets. I felt like a bit of a spore sport when he didn't let me pay but he said it was really no truffel. Not to post too many shittakes but there is mush room in my life now I fit into the mold. They're fun guys and they really grow on you.
I'm sure there's a morel to this story.

Last edited:
Mexico got hit by an earthquake, to the day exactly 5 years after the previous one, and also on the anniversary of the 1987 earthquake. Like someone's calendar has 'Summon Shudde M'ell' printed in red on September 19.
The cultists aren't 100% about the year, but they will damn well stick with this date. One year the stars will be right!

This isn't really enough for a premise, as it was just a weird moment, but it seems like it could fit in a CoC game:

Here in Chicago, there's a paved foot path that goes underneath the Brown Line elevated train tracks behind the Western Ave station for about a block from Western Ave to Lincoln Ave. Normally there's nothing noteworthy about this path, other than it being a bit dark. But one time when I was walking on it, someone had left a high, round black metal table in the middle of the path. On top of the table were two empty cans of White Claw... and a dead crow.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back