Premises for Call of Cthulhu Adventures from Real Life

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

I like the idea of SF games that concentrate on the utterly wild and alien nature of different physical environments in space. In practice though, it just ends up with PCs dying gruesomely and unexpectedly all the time. Even a cup of freshly boiled tea will give you horrific burns on a planet with high atmospheric pressure.

Perfect for Cthulhu games, in other words.

I like the idea of SF games that concentrate on the utterly wild and alien nature of different physical environments in space. In practice though, it just ends up with PCs dying gruesomely and unexpectedly all the time. Even a cup of freshly boiled tea will give you horrific burns on a planet with high atmospheric pressure.

Perfect for Cthulhu games, in other words.

I never get tired of this one...

Not quite an adventure premise, and not quite Cthulhu but this artist on twitter makes some great 1bit pixel art that would go great in a Kult game:

Like it just oozes corrupted computer code riddled with gnostic truths hidden in the machine language.

Last edited:
I found this on a youtube video - The subtitle is "killer stick sculpture". Obviously, Killerstick is a town in Turkey spelled quite differently. In any case, I suspect the model spoke with a buzzing voice. :tongue:
1680065937846.png
Here is the video: Killer Stick shows up about 1:45 minutes in.

I found this on a youtube video - The subtitle is "killer stick sculpture". Obviously, Killerstick is a town in Turkey spelled quite differently. In any case, I suspect the model spoke with a buzzing voice. :tongue:
View attachment 58388
Here is the video: Killer Stick shows up about 1:45 minutes in.

Alright I'll say it. It looks like a dick.

When the link said "wall" my first thought was that Percy Fawcett was too far south. But not that kind of wall. :sad:

I wonder what the terrain would look like as savanna? I think this would be a giant billboard.

Finally, the linked site looks a bit sketchy. Fine for our purposes, but I'd like to know if any other archeology sites have said anything?

When the link said "wall" my first thought was that Percy Fawcett was too far south. But not that kind of wall. :sad:

I wonder what the terrain would look like as savanna? I think this would be a giant billboard.

Finally, the linked site looks a bit sketchy. Fine for our purposes, but I'd like to know if any other archeology sites have said anything?
I didn't do any research, but the pics convinced me it wasn't entirely an internet mirage. If someone has better info I'd love to know more.

I didn't do any research, but the pics convinced me it wasn't entirely an internet mirage. If someone has better info I'd love to know more.
UNESCO has a page on the national park that the site is in.

It mentions 75,000 petroglyphs on cliff faces and in sixty rock shelters, made between 20,000 years ago and the present.

UNESCO has a page on the national park that the site is in.

It mentions 75,000 petroglyphs on cliff faces and in sixty rock shelters, made between 20,000 years ago and the present.
God I love archeology.

So, once, when I was 19, I dropped acid with some friends. My mom called me the next morning, and I was still tripping a little. She told me a story I will never forget.

At the time, she was an asbestos abatement worker. She had a good reputation, and eventually became a foreman, leading crews of men in what was, statistically, one of the most dangerous jobs you could have as an American at that time. She worked in Texas, but eventually also on Guam and Midway Island, removing asbestos from military bases.

So, I'm still catching a bit of a trip (unbeknownst to mom) from this acid I ate, I haven't slept. And my mom has just arrived in Brownsville, Texas. She called me long distance, as I was living in Arizona at the time.

She tells me she drove down to a new job site by herself. She got lost on the way, it was getting late, and she ended up pulling over in front of an isolated house to ask for directions. A little old hispanic woman answered the door. She told my mom that she was a ways from Brownsville yet, and near the Mexican border. She offered to let my mother stay the night at her house, where she lived alone. Tired and lost, but early still for the job she was headed to, mom accepted. It was late, and she was exhausted.

She said the woman was nice and friendly. The house was filled with pictures of saints, candles, necklaces and beads hanging everywhere, and glasses of water placed throughout the house, seemingly at random. It had a religious vibe, but was kind of "off", as some of the images seemed a bit... paganistic, or at least not traditionally religious.

My mom chalked it up to culture, old age and eccentricity, and went to sleep. The night passed uneventfully.

The next morning, the old woman asked my mother for a favor. She had to go into Mexico overnight, and she asked my mother if she wouldn't mind watching the house until she returned the next morning. Mom agreed to do so, seeing as she was still a few days early.

The old woman left that afternoon and told mom she'd see her the next day.

That night, before she went to bed, my mother was going to lock the doors. She noticed that the locks felt... odd. Upon looking, she saw that tissue paper had been wadded up and stuffed in all of the door locks, presumably to keep them from fastening securely.

Alarmed, she checked the house, wandering past the strange and unusual religious adornments, the glasses of water, and the rest. Eventually, she looked under her bed... and saw that there were several long knives under it.

Understandably alarmed, my mother called the police. When they arrived, they explained that many of the people in the area were believers in Santeria, which was the reason for the idols, pictures, and such throughout the house. The glasses of water, he explained, were for the spirits. He cautioned my mother to be more careful about who she trusted (this was a few years after the grisly cult murders in Matamoros, and not far from there), then followed her back to the highway so she could get to her destination. He also explained that since the old woman hadn't broken any laws, there was nothing he could do about what had happened.

This time, she didn't stop until she got there.

Understandably alarmed, my mother called the police. When they arrived, they explained that many of the people in the area were believers in Santeria, which was the reason for the idols, pictures, and such throughout the house. The glasses of water, he explained, were for the spirits.
But the knives! Did he explain the knives?!?

Sleeping with knives under the bed will scare away evil spirits. Also, a knife under the bed of a woman in labor is supposed to ease birthing pain...so it is said.

Some folk magic traditions use axes in the same way. You can also "cut the wind" with axes or knives in some of them, helping to divert a tornado from your house. They actually showed a guy doing that in the first season of the TV show "Reservation Dogs."

Some folk magic traditions use axes in the same way. You can also "cut the wind" with axes or knives in some of them, helping to divert a tornado from your house. They actually showed a guy doing that in the first season of the TV show "Reservation Dogs."
That's one I'll have to try that one over tornado season! :grin:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back