Pulp/Sf/Fantasy Paperback Covers

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Lofgeornost Lofgeornost I also had the 1972 cover as well. I was always fond of Andre Norton's work. Loving this thread with the various covers of books over the years.

That's cool. I'd like to know who drew the Ace 1972 cover, but the ISFDB (where I get most of the information and images) lists it as uncredited.

Update: A little more checking, via the Ace Image Library, suggests that the artist was Dean Ellis.

Last edited:
That's cool. I'd like to know who drew the Ace 1972 cover, but the ISFDB (where I get most of the information and images) lists it as uncredited.

Update: A little more checking, via the Ace Image Library, suggests that the artist was Dean Ellis.
Same artist who did the cover of Ray Bradbury's "Illustrated Man" that always stuck in my mind. Actually did a bunch of great art.

Attachments

• 1626817262918.png
    1626817262918.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Same artist who did the cover of Ray Bradbury's "Illustrated Man" that always stuck in my mind. Actually did a bunch of great art.
Yeah, looking over his covers on the ISFDB, he was responsible for a lot of work I liked from the 1970s.

Here are three he did for Ballantine: Larry Niven's Ringworld (1970; an iconic cover, to me anyway) and David Gerrold's Space Skimmer (1972; a cover I remember although I never read the book).

Ringworld BB 1970.jpg Space Skimmer BB 1972.jpg

For Fawcett, Ellis' cover for Asimov's The Naked Sun (1972) and for Ballantine, Arthur Clarke's Earthlight (1972). I still have a number of the Clarke books for which Ellis did the cover.

Naked Sun Fawcett 1972.jpg Earthlight BB 1972.jpg

Some of the Ballantine books had wraparound covers that extended onto the back. I remember this one by Ellis for Niven's Protector (1973):

Protector Ballantine 1973.jpg

And this one for Alan Dean Foster's Icerigger (1974), a book I really enjoyed at the time:

Icerigger BB 1974.jpg

Lofgeornost Lofgeornost Woah, those are two that slipped by me, specially in the case of Norton who I tried to snag everything that she did. I'm having a memory of a different cover for "The Sioux Spaceman" that I had. I'd check the book, but that book like 95% of my books in storage were damaged beyond recovery when I went to get them all out of storage six years ago. (sigh) (grumble)

Edit: I did a Google search and the 1978 cover is ringing some bells but I'm not 100% certain.

1626888181707.png

Lofgeornost Lofgeornost Woah, those are two that slipped by me, specially in the case of Norton who I tried to snag everything that she did. I'm having a memory of a different cover for "The Sioux Spaceman" that I had. I'd check the book, but that book like 95% of my books in storage were damaged beyond recovery when I went to get them all out of storage six years ago. (sigh) (grumble)

Edit: I did a Google search and the 1978 cover is ringing some bells but I'm not 100% certain.

View attachment 33130

That's a cool cover; if ISFDB is correct, it's by Jack Gaughan for a Gregg Press hardback edition. Apparently they used the same cover for a number of different Norton titles they published, just changing the text. It was wraparound, so here's the whole thing (though a worse image:

Sioux Gaughan 1978.jpg

The cover for the earlier Ace edition (1966), by Ed Valigursky, was considerably different:

Sioux Ace Valigursky 1966.jpg

A German translation was published in 1960 and reprinted in 1966, with covers by R.S. Lonati and Johnny Bruck, respectively:

Sklaven Lonati 1960.jpg Sklaven Bruck 1966.jpg

Another artist who did a number of covers for Andre Norton books in the 1970s was Charles Mikolaycak. Here is some of his work for Ace--the covers were all wraparounds:

ForerunnerForay 1973-75.jpg

Iron Cage 1976.jpg

Knave Dreams 1977.jpg

Trey of Swords 1978.jpg

I don't think I read any of those, but the Forerunner Foray cover is quite familiar to me.

Didn't Bertolucci do a film adaptation of this, or was that something different?

Yep, he did. The book is better. His short stories are even better than his novels, some are straight up masterpieces of arty horror although oddly he isn't often discussed as a horror author (although I've seen horror writers namecheck his short stories).

Yep, he did. The book is better. His short stories are even better than his novels, some are straight up masterpieces of arty horror although oddly he isn't often discussed as a horror author (although I've seen horror writers namecheck his short stories).

It did sound familiar. I saw it some years ago, maybe sometime in the first half of the 1990s, although I don't remember much about it. I have a mental image of the woman shacking up with a local dude somewhere in North Africa and then cutting up a book to make paper decorations she hung from the ceiling.

Don Maitz did a lot of SF/Fantasy covers beginning in 1976; here are a few striking ones from the 1970s:

L. Sprague De Camp's The Virgin and the Wheels (Popular Library, 1976) and Tanith Lee's Drinking Sapphire Wine (DAW, 1977).

De Camp Virgin 1976.jpg Lee Sapphire Wine 1977.jpg

Arthur Landis' Camelot in Orbit (DAW, 1978) and Brian Stableford's City of the Sun (DAW, 1978).

Landis Camelot Daw 1978.jpg Stableford City Sun DAW 1978.jpg

C.J. Cherryh's Hestia (DAW, 1979) and Barry Malzberg's Beyond Apollo (Pocket, 1979).

Cherryh Hestia 1979.jpg Malzberg Beyond Apollo 1979 Pocket.jpg

Beyond Apollo is a great book! The first Malzberg I read. He isn't for everyone but he's intense, formally adventurous and often blackly hilarious.

Last edited:
Beyond Apollo is a great book! The first Malzberg I read. He isn't for everyone but he's intense, formally adventurous and often blackly hilarious.
The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction entry on Don Maitz singles out that cover:
an effective cover for a 1979 edition of Barry N Malzberg's Beyond Apollo (1972), wherein the troubled look on the central astronaut's face nicely captures the spirit of the novel. With his emphasis on portraiture rather than space hardware or alien landscapes, Maitz can be regarded as a forerunner of a shift in genre art that accompanied and facilitated its rise to mass-market popularity in the 1980s.
According to the Encyclopedia, Maitz also created the Captain Morgan image used by Seagram's rum. He did the original covers for the four volumes of Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun as well, the first for Simon & Schuster, the last three for Timescape:

Shadow 1980.jpg Claw Timescape 1981.jpg

Sword Lictor 1982.jpg Citadel 1983.jpg

I spent time with my parents during my vacation and brought back some of my stuff they had been storing for me.

Here are the covers for the Red Sonja novels.

The Baen Books Robert E. Howard Library.

I spent time with my parents during my vacation and brought back some of my stuff they had been storing for me.

Here are the covers for the Red Sonja novels.

The Baen Books Robert E. Howard Library.

Cool! Do you know who did the Red Sonja covers?

Yeah was gonna say those looked like Boris Vallejo. Nice.

I had a friend who was big on documenting the varying cover art between editions of a book. He’d asked me to photograph my Wild Cards collection whenever I got them all together, as he only knee the most recent printings.

We lost Daniel to COVID last year. About a month ago I finally retrieved the last of my books. I figured I’d share them here, in case anyone else wanted to see some of the older editions.
16B709D7-604F-466F-B809-EA2D6D8E2C52.jpeg

I had a friend who was big on documenting the varying cover art between editions of a book. He’d asked me to photograph my Wild Cards collection whenever I got them all together, as he only knee the most recent printings.

We lost Daniel to COVID last year. About a month ago I finally retrieved the last of my books. I figured I’d share them here, in case anyone else wanted to see some of the older editions.
View attachment 34989
I loved those books.They started coming out a few years after I went all crazy with the "Thieves World" books where you had multiple authors sharing the same universe and characters so damn right I was into "Wild Cards" since George was doing the same thing that Robert Lynn Asprin did with "Thieves World". I also loved how darker they were, which really was nice to see with super heros at the time.

Here's the cover of the first (hardback) edition of Alan E. Nourse's juvenile novel Trouble on Titan, by Alex Schomburg, published by John C. Winston in 1954:

Schomburg Cover Crop.jpg

Here's some interior art--the frontispiece, or nearly. It seems to have nothing to do with the novel and I'd guess it is a standard element in the Winston Science Fiction series. Still some nice period art. It's not credited.

Interior Illustration-crop.jpg

Lofgeornost Lofgeornost Love the cover, it's quite evocative on painting a picture of trouble on Titan. Inside art definitely looks more generic of the time.

Lofgeornost Lofgeornost Love the cover, it's quite evocative on painting a picture of trouble on Titan. Inside art definitely looks more generic of the time.
Yeah, the interior art seems to be a compilation of different SF scenes; there's a rocket taking off, flying saucers over a city which is being attacked by a ray (with people fleeing), and an underwater explorer with fish, all mashed together.

Many covers for Trouble on Titan feature some sort of space crawler-vehicle and a rocket/spaceplane, just as Schomburg's original cover did. There's one in the (typically lovely) Urania cover by Curt Caesar (1955) and in the Lancer 1967 cover by Ed Valigursky:

TroubleTitan_1955_Urania.jpg TroubleTitan_Lancer_1967.jpg

Other, mainly European, covers are more abstract, like these two for Goldmann by Eyke Volkmer (1962) and Jürgen Rogner (1967), or the Hatier edition by B. Cretin. The last could be a cover for any book about a revolt:

TroubleTitan_German_1962.jpg TroubleTitan_German_1974.jpg TroubleTitan_French_1971.jpg

There are some gems from across the Bolanverse. I don’t have Leviathan handy which had a line to the effect of “As a made man from the Bronx, Vinnie wasn’t taking shit from no Cthulhu cultist.”
51VZW7W1PVL._SY344_BO1%2C204%2C203%2C200_.jpg

A post in the Greatest Comic Panels thread by Voros Voros got me thinking about F. M. Busby's Cage a Man--one of those books I never read but remember largely because of the cover.

This is Gary Viskupic's cover for the Nelson/Doubleday 1st edition hardback (1973):

cage-a-man-f.-m.-busby-front.jpg

It's the one I remember, though I'm sure I never owned it. Signet's 1974 cover is not credited, but Eddie Jones did the 1975 for Bastei Lubbe:

Signet-1974.jpg German-1975.jpg

S.P. Tholl's for the Galaxie/Bis translation unsurprisingly leaned into the sexploitation. And though it's not a cover, I had to include Wayne Barlowe's image of the Demu from Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials (1979), a book I still like to look at, now and then:

Dans la Cage 2.jpg Demu 640.jpg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back