Pulp/Sf/Fantasy Paperback Covers

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

I remember that cover for Left Hand of Darkness, though it's not the one I have. The cover for the Henneberg collection is actually a re-used one, by Joseph Lombardero--it first appeared as the cover for The Worlds of Poul Anderson, which Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl posted above at post 66 in the thread.

Nathalie Henneberg is an interesting author. She published a number of stories and novels in the 1950s-1970s (she died c. 1978). They were sometimes credited to herself and her husband Charles, and sometimes to him alone. Here are some covers of the first editions of first two novels, published by Hachette in 1961 and 1962; both by Jean-Claude Forest:

LDV Hachette Forest 1961.jpg Fort Perdue Hachette Forest 1962.jpg

Here are three more covers of The Green Gods; an uncredited one for the Le Masque reissue (1975), one by Don Maitz for the DAW translation of 1980, and one by Anne-Claire Payet for an edition published by Black Coat Press in 2010:

LDV Le Masque 1975.jpg Green Gods DAW Maitz 1980.jpg Green Gods Black Coat Payet 2010.jpg

By odd turns, the Crabitalism cover above led me to John Brunner's The Atlantic Abomination. Here's the original cover, from the Ace Double (1960). Ed Emshwiller did the Brunner cover, while Ed Valigursky drew the cover for The Martian Missile:

Atlantic-Martian 1960.jpg

Eddie Jones did the cover for the 1973 Terra Astra translation, I'm not sure who did the somewhat blah Ace cover from 1976, and Oscar Chichoni did the Classici Urania cover from 1990:

DSMNSTRMSD1973.jpg THTLNTCBMN1976.jpg ucl163.jpg

By odd turns, the Crabitalism cover above led me to John Brunner's The Atlantic Abomination. Here's the original cover, from the Ace Double (1960). Ed Emshwiller did the Brunner cover, while Ed Valigursky drew the cover for The Martian Missile:

View attachment 36989

Eddie Jones did the cover for the 1973 Terra Astra translation, I'm not sure who did the somewhat blah Ace cover from 1976, and Oscar Chichoni did the Classici Urania cover from 1990:

View attachment 36990 View attachment 36991 View attachment 36992
The guy on the top right is a bit reminiscent of 1960s Robin.

Some French covers.

Two covers for Jack Vance's "The Many Worlds of Magnus Rudolph":

les-mondes-de-magnus-ridolph-jack-vance-science-fiction.jpg
kokod-1975-art.-kvater-les-mondes-de-magnus-ridolph.jpg

An odd cover for Dune:

838_dune.jpg

The Sword of Rhiannon by Leigh Brackett, uncensored unlike the English covers:

unnamed.jpg

Interesting to compare with the English original:

sword-of-rhiannon.jpg

Two old encyclopedias of SciFi:

fr1.jpg
Untitled.jpg

Cover to the Quebecois SciFi novel "Le Projet Darkemo":

719DPJ6bP+L.jpg

First volume of the Valérian series:

f3.8.12.ali.mezieres-couverture.jpg

Some covers for Karl Edward Wagner's Kane novel, Dark Crusade:

The original cover (1976) for Warner Books by Frazetta and the Nick Bantock cover for Coronet (1981):

Dark Crusade Frazetta 1976.jpg DRKCRSDJQG1981-Nick Bantock.jpg

Frank Brunner's cover for the Mondadori translation (1992). I'm not sure why it shows a ship--there's no sea travel in the book. I wonder if it was meant as a cover for Darkness Weaves, which it would fit better.

Dark Crusade Trans Frank Brunner.jpg

The wraparound for the Centipede Press hardcover by Tom Kidd (2015):

Dark Crusade Kidd 2015.jpg

As promised on Friday, some covers for Wagner's Death Angel's Shadow.

Stan Zagorski's for the Warner Books first edition (1973) and Frazetta's for the 1978 reissue:

DTHNGLSSHD1973.jpg DTHNGLSSHD1978.jpg

Nick Bantock's cover for the 1980 Coronet edition, and C. Yuce's for the 1992 Italian translation:

DTHNGLSSHD1980.jpg ufyvsest1992.jpg

The wraparound cover for the Centipede Press hardcover (2015) by Les Edwards. It is the only cover that seems to have anything to do with the contents, though Kane doesn't fight werewolves semi-naked:

DTHNGLSSHD2015.jpg

Some covers for Wagner's Bloodstone. For a change, all of them have at least some relation to the story.

Frazetta's for the 1975 Warner 1st edition and Les Edward's for the Coronet edition (1976):

BLDSTNPJQG1975.jpg Bloodstone Edwards.jpg

Maren's cover for the 1991 Mondadori translation, and Tom Edwards' for the Golkonda version (2014):

Bloodstone Trans.jpg DRBLTSTNMD2014.jpg

The cover of the Centipede Press hardback, by Patrick Jones:

Bloodstone Centipede.jpg

A City on Jupiter? More like 'That looks sore, you should see a doctor'.

Alternatively that's the biggest vibrator ever made.

Crater City on Saturn makes me realise that the floaty heads from The Secret Show have a historic precedent (which isn't surprising).

This was posted in a group I belong to. I’m unfamiliar with the author, and I may need to fix that.1EB87AE2-1272-4651-9983-AB2A3D94AC4F.jpeg

My god it really is real. What the hell is going on up there in Canada!?

I was introduced to the book via a meme last year. It has an excerpt from the book, but I don’t want my internet presence associated with a passage involving a violation of beastiality laws found in civilized nations, so I shan’t post it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back