Pulp/Sf/Fantasy Paperback Covers

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I know I read The Door into Summer, but absolutely the only thing I remember from it is part of the opening, which explains the title. IIRC, the narrator describes how, once autumn arrived, his cat insisted on exiting the house through all of its different doors, looking for ‘the door into summer.’

I’d never heard of that Plague novel. I appreciate the rat on the cover, but it should also be sick.

I know I read The Door into Summer, but absolutely the only thing I remember from it is part of the opening, which explains the title. IIRC, the narrator describes how, once autumn arrived, his cat insisted on exiting the house through all of its different doors, looking for ‘the door into summer.’

I’d never heard of that Plague novel. I appreciate the rat on the cover, but it should also be sick.

The story mainly involves revenge, incest and time travel, in no particular order because time travel. Aside from that, it's most notable for RAH predicting the invention of computer aided design, albeit in a very 1950s conceptualisation.[1]

1 - The story was written in 1956 and featured a robot called Drafting Dan. IBM brought out the 2250 (the first widely used vector graphic terminal) in 1964. The first computer aided design system on this platform was developed by IBM and General Motors about this time - the 2250 was actually a commercial spinoff of hardware developed for this project. By the end of the 1960s there were about half a dozen companies producing vector terminals of this sort. Systems that were the distant ancestors of today's CADAM and CATIA systems also came out around this time.

CATIA got its 15 minutes of fame in the 1970s as it was developed by Dassault and IBM (based on older CAD systems) and used to develop the Mirage 2000 fighter jet, the first example of an aircraft designed entirely through computer aided design techniques. CATIA is still widely used in the automotive and aerospace industries, although these days it has been ported to run on PCs.

Last edited:
Since I've posted about Zelazny's Jack of Shadows in the 'What We're Reading' thread, how about some covers? These are the Ronald Walotsky covers for the initial serialization in Fantasy and Science Fiction (July and August, 1971):

FSF 1971a.jpg FSF 1971b.jpg

Judith Loesser's cover for the SFBC hardback (1971) and David Freeman's for the Faber hardcover (1972):

Loeser-Walker-1971.jpg Freeman Faber 1972-crop.jpg

The Bob Pepper cover for Signet (1972), the version I once owned, and the uncredited Corgi cover (1974):

Pepper-Signet_1972.jpg Corgi_1974.jpg

Vincente Segrelles' cover for the Signet re-issue (1985) and Wojtek Siudmak's cover for a French translation (1978) from Presses Pocket.

Segrelles_1985.jpgSiudmak_1978.jpg

So, some covers for Tanith Lee's The Birthgrave, starting with the original DAW cover (1975) by George Barr, the cover for the Gravidus translation by Ruud Bal (1978) and the second Orbit cover (1979) by Peter Jones:

Barr_DAW_1975.jpg HTGBRTGRFR1978.jpg Jones_Orbit_1979.jpg

I wasn't able to find a good image of the first Orbit cover (1977) by Gino D'Achille, but here is the painting minus trade dress:

Achille Large.jpg

Ken Kelley's cover for the DAW re-issue (1981), Michel Gourdon's for J'ai Lu (1984), and Vincent Gaigneux's for an omnibus of all 3 novels (2004):

Kelly_DAW_1982.jpg Gourdon_1985.jpg LSGDSTHNKS2004.jpg

The painting for the current DAW edition, which I have, by Bastien Deharme:

Birthgrave Deharme.jpg

The love that is not spoken of... Clown love. Gotta share this cover with one of my daughters, she hates clowns with a passion. lol. After all, doesn't everyone have children just to torment them?

Here's a couple of others you might impart as well:

Also, clowns aren't exempt from Rule 34. Just sayin.
Maybe I shouldn't mention Juggalos at this point.

That Gene Wolf cover really misrepresents the stories within. I can't imagine what the person picking that up for the cover would have made of its contents (although I'm sure there are some clueless reviews on Goodreads that could give me an idea).

That Gene Wolf cover really misrepresents the stories within. I can't imagine what the person picking that up for the cover would have made of its contents (although I'm sure there are some clueless reviews on Goodreads that could give me an idea).
Yes; I really enjoyed that collection when I read it decades ago, but that cover seems unrelated to it. This is the cover I recall, by Don Maitz:

THSLNDFDCT1980.jpg

Last edited:
The first cover posted is by the same artist who did the covers for the Book of the New Sun series for the UK editions, Bruce Pennington.
pennington-interview.jpg

Today (May 20) is Gardiner Fox's birthday. I'm sure I've read some of his short stories--they used to appear in the Dragon, among other places--but I don't think I've ever read any of his novels. He wrote a lot, including historicals and 'adult' fiction, beyond his SF and Fantasy output.

Here's an Allen Anderson cover for Planet Stories (March 1953) for one of Fox's stories, a Frank Frazetta cover for an Ace publication (1964) of Fox's Warrior of Llarn, which seems like sword-and-planet:

Planet Stories v05 n11 [1953-03]_0000.jpg Warrior Llarn 1964.jpg

Fox had a multibook series of sword-and-sorcery novels about Kothar the Barbarian, initially published by Belmont Books. This is Jeff Jones' cover for one of the later installments in the series, Kothar and the Wizard Slayer (1970) and Maren's cover of a translation of Kothar of the Magic Sword for Mondadori (1990):

KTHRNDTHWZ1970.jpg Kothar e la spada magica.jpg

Another Fox series focused on Kyrik--here is the cover by Ken Barr for the first installment, published by Leisure Books (1975), and the cover by Attila Heija of an omnibus volume translating 3 of the novels for Mondadori (1993):

KRKWRLCKWR1975.jpg ufyvsinv1993.jpg

Patricia McKillip died earlier this month, so it seemed fitting to post some covers from her books.

She's probably best-known for her Riddle-Master trilogy; these are the covers for the first two in Del Rey paperbacks (1978-80) by Darrell Sweet:

THRDDLMSTR1978-Sweet.jpg HRFSNDFRTX1978-Sweet.jpg

Sweet's Del Rey cover (1980) for the last volume of the trilogy, and Stephen Hickman's for a collection of stories (Ace, 1987):

HRPSTNTHWN1980-Sweet.jpg THROMEES1987-Hickman.jpg

Gilda Belin's cover for a translation of Heir of Sea and Fire for Goldmann's (1981):

Heir Sea Fire-Belin.jpg

Many of McKillip's later novels have covers by Kinuko Craft, like this Ace offering from 2002:

MBRNSHDOW2002-Craft.jpg

I recently picked up on Kindle a collection of Ed Wood's lurid pulp stories published in men's magazines in the 60s and found them amusing enough that I grabbed this hardcopy reprint of one of his novels from Four Walls Eight Windows with a modern kitschy cover.

918W8JyuhBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Here are some of the original covers for his pulp erotica. The originals now go for an arm and a leg.

dead_can_dance_01.jpg5464011.jpgEd-Wood-Book-4-thumb-500x792-33077.jpgc03b046760175b1e62ffd5d6c40b6d37--fiction-books-pulp-fiction.jpg

Some covers from the last year of Marvel's Epic magazine.

April '85 by Steve Hickman, and June '85 by Berni Wrightson:

epic0485l.jpg epic0685l.jpg

August '85 by John Bolton and October '85 by Jerry Bingham:

epic0885l.jpg epic1085l.jpg

December '85 by Phil Hale and February '86 by Arthur Suydam:

epic1285l.jpg epic0286l.jpg

So, some covers of Tanith Lee's Night's Master:

The George Barr cover for the DAW first edition (1978) and the Jürgen Rogner cover for the Meulenhoff Dutch translation (1980).

Barr_NightsMaster_DAW.jpg Rogner_NightsMaster-Dutch.jpg

The Edmund Dulac cover for the DAW reissue of 1986, which I like, but since he died in 1953 it is obviously a re-used piece, perhaps from his Arabian Nights work? Also the Bastien Deharme cover from the DAW 2016 edition:

Dulac_NightsMaster_DAW_1986.jpg Deharme Larger.jpg

The Melvyn Grant cover for the Hamlyn edition (1981) and John Kaiine & Tanith Lee's cover for the 2009 TaLeKa version:

Grant_NightsMaster_Hamlyn.jpg Kaiine & Lee_Night's Master_2009.jpg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back