Punks, Goths & Mods on Irish TV 83'

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
God it's like a different world, still at the stage where everybody had like >10 kids.

I was shocked when it said one of them was from Killarney, I was expecting all to be Dubs since rural Ireland at the time was very backward. Then they mentioned two kids in the family and I expected expat Dub who moved there (Killarney and Kinsale are common country retreats for well-off Dubs). Sure enough when he spoke the accent was Dublin.

Miss the presenter Gaybo :cry:. The Late Late show was quite a cultural phenomena and a large part of the massive cultural change that occured over the 90s.

The Late Late show was quite a cultural phenomena and a large part of the massive cultural change that occured over the 90s.

Id like to hear more about that. I know very little about modern Irish culture.

Id like to hear more about that. I know very little about modern Irish culture.
I tried writing this a few times, but was genuinely not sure what crossed the politics bounds or not. So I'll just have the most neutral stuff.

In completely descriptive terms we shifted from a fairly backward agricultural theocracy to a modern technology based democracy in I'd say the space of eight years in the 1990s. Photos of my Dad's childhood look to Americans for example (Irish-American relatives have said so) as if he lived in the early 1900s. Though born in the mid 80s, again my childhood could easily be from the 40s or 50s to some Americans.

If you didn't live in Dublin, or maybe the biggest towns, there was very little access to global popular culture. Now it's like anywhere else in Western Europe.

Similarly religion has declined enormously. One way of putting it is that when I was a child plenty of families had more than four kids and many had seven or more and typical in such families a boy and a girl became a priest and nun respectively. The countryside was dotted with hundreds of shrines and wells to saints that were regularly visited especially on feast days (although on inspection many have obvious signs of being previous gods or heroes). Now the wells and such are abandoned, priests have to be brought in from Africa, China and Eastern Europe due to the dwindling numbers here and it would be very rare to have more than three kids.

Attitudes to sexuality in any sense went from not far off "Augustine of Hippo's guide to not thinking about anything below the neck" to no different than France or Scandinavia.

My son lives in a totally different place to the one I grew up in. This might sound OTT but it's almost at the point where my own memories feel like something off TV. They feel unreal because that whole world is gone.

There's more aspects and I haven't discussed one of the most important to myself**. However it'd probably lean too close to issues considered political. They're not political here in Ireland, but I suspect they would be for other nationalities here and I don't want to risk kicking something off. Political talk is actually quite common in Ireland as the subject is more viewed as "boring" like beekeeping* or something rather than controversial.

I'd happily accept PMs from those who want to know more.

*I have bees, not mocking beekeepers or anything :clown:
**It relates to Gaelic the language

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back