Quotes

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
If you think less is more, think how much more, more is (Frasier Crane).

"It's easy to categorize behaviors as Right and Wrong. It's only when we try to categorize people into Good and Evil that we lose sight of Right and Wrong."

"The economy is the ecological cycle of a civilized people."

"Be polite. Be professional. Always have a plan to kill everyone that you meet."

and... of course...

"When you witness an injustice
Take the hurt into your own heart
And give your enemies no peace."

"...And that's what your holy men discuss, is it?" [asked Granny Weatherwax.]
"Not usually. There is a very interesting debate raging at the moment on the nature of sin. for example." [answered Mightily Oats.]
"And what do they think? Against it, are they?"
"It's not as simple as that. It's not a black and white issue. There are so many shades of gray."
"Nope."
"Pardon?"
"There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
"It's a lot more complicated than that--"
"No. It ain't. When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they're getting worried that they won't like the truth. People as things, that's where it starts."
"Oh, I'm sure there are worse crimes--"
"But they starts with thinking about people as things..."

--from Carpe Jugulum, by Terry Pratchett.

People are things. It's a useful abstraction to turn them into fluids and shit.

And fuck you Granny! If you can't imagine grey you lack imagination. I bet there's a few people who, just as there are outliers with every emotion - fear, anger, sadness - are naturally sadistic. It's their favourite thing. Granny says, never enjoy it. Reality says they fucking will occassionally and logic says fuck you if you truly hold it against them. Emotion says get away from me anyway, but cats will play with thier food. Boom, grey.

"What is best in life? To trade with your enemies, to have their possessions at low prices due to economies of scale, and, to take their wives and introduce them into the work force."

" Everybody thinks that I'm an idiot !...
Even I maybe think that I might be an idiot "

Sgt. Hugo Friedkin, in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, Season 2, Episode 10 "Nice Jacket".

People are things. It's a useful abstraction to turn them into fluids and shit.

And fuck you Granny! If you can't imagine grey you lack imagination. I bet there's a few people who, just as there are outliers with every emotion - fear, anger, sadness - are naturally sadistic. It's their favourite thing. Granny says, never enjoy it. Reality says they fucking will occassionally and logic says fuck you if you truly hold it against them. Emotion says get away from me anyway, but cats will play with thier food. Boom, grey.

"What is best in life? To trade with your enemies, to have their possessions at low prices due to economies of scale, and, to take their wives and introduce them into the work force."
There's not much room for ambiguity in Granny Weatherwax's world view; if you find out you're predisposed to sadism, and you act on it, then you've made your choice, you're wicked, and that is that. She herself isn't nice (She works very hard to hide her own darkness and keep it under control, she was destined to be a bad witch but had to be good as her sister was worse) and isn't bothered by that, she's a very grubby white, but she'll always stand up for what she sees as being right and she'll always be there for anyone that needs her help. She's one of my favourite chaotic good characters.

Animals, she doesn't really seem to care about; they just follow their instincts, they don't choose. People choose.

What struck me on the beach–and it struck me indeed, so that I staggered as at a blow–was that if the Eternal Principle had rested in that curved thorn I had carried about my neck across so many leagues, and if it now rested in the new thorn (perhaps the same thorn) I had only now put there, then it might rest in everything, in every thorn in every bush, in every drop of water in the sea. The thorn was a sacred Claw because all thorns were sacred Claws; the sand in my boots was sacred sand because it came from a beach of sacred sand. The cenobites treasured up the relics of the sannyasins because the sannyasins had approached the Pancreator. But everything had approached and even touched the Pancreator, because everything had dropped from his hand. Everything was a relic. All the world was a relic. I drew off my boots, that had traveled with me so far, and threw them into the waves that I might not walk shod on holy ground.

Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

There's not much room for ambiguity in Granny Weatherwax's world view; if you find out you're predisposed to sadism, and you act on it, then you've made your choice, you're wicked, and that is that. She herself isn't nice (She works very hard to hide her own darkness and keep it under control, she was destined to be a bad witch but had to be good as her sister was worse) and isn't bothered by that, she's a very grubby white, but she'll always stand up for what she sees as being right and she'll always be there for anyone that needs her help. She's one of my favourite chaotic good characters.

Animals, she doesn't really seem to care about; they just follow their instincts, they don't choose. People choose.
Not nearly so much as they think they get to. And some choices will always look good, to you.

The Butcher: And by the same token, nothing is sacred. Yet... sacredness insists upon itself.

The Butcher: And by the same token, nothing is sacred. Yet... sacredness insists upon itself.
To recognize anything as sacred is but to recognize it as greater than yourself. Not a bad exercise under the right circumstances, regardless of belief.

I take the point you're going for, but to play devils advocate, greater then yourself is simply... greater then yourself. A football club is greater then yourself.

The second-handedness of the learned world is the secret of its mediocrity. - Whitehead

I take the point you're going for, but to play devils advocate, greater then yourself is simply... greater then yourself. A football club is greater then yourself.
For a given axis of magnitude, yes. I couldn’t care less about football, but for some people I know, it absolutely is a transcendental experience.

:smile:

In his time, Confucius was considered a fairly mediocre thinker. The reason he's famous these days is that one of the emperors ordered all philosophical writings burned on pain of death, and a full set of his were found hidden in a wall much later.
I've seen something to that effect as well. Apparently he was frequently mocked for the pompous tone of his writings.

To have it all is to have no more then you need and no less then you want. In other words, find the perfect necessities.

"No, his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is"

- Rush, "Tom Sawyer"

"I think the truth is you fill your day most of the time by being in the washing machine of your own mind, thinking "What's this? When does it stop? Am I enjoying it? I don't know. Oh, it's time to go to sleep. I can't, I'm worried."
- Dylan Moran

“You who so plod amid serious things that you feel it

shame to give yourself up even for a few short moments

to mirth and joyousness in the land of Fancy; you who

think that life hath nought to do with innocent laughter

that can harm no one; these pages are not for you”

― Howard Pyle, The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood

“The ancient Oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone, of all the Greeks, know that I know nothing.” ---attributed to Socrates.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.” ---Nietzsche

"But I don't want to cure cancer. I want to turn people into dinosaurs." ---Sauron

Why do things happen the way they happen? For all I know the world is just one big game, and all of our actions are determined by the roll of a die." -Dunkelzahn, Great Dragon, Shadowrun First Edition

“I haven’t any right to criticise books, and I don’t do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticise Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can’t conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Everytime I read ‘Pride and Prejudice’ I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone.””
— Mark Twain

NO! Don't jump on the saws! (jumping up and down holding his PJ pants with both hands)
- My youngest son teaching his much older brother how to play a video game.

I'd post the soliloquy of The Other Guy from Midnight Nation that he gives David Grey to show that he isn't the bad guy, but it lacks the punch it has if you haven't read the preceding issues. The whole series is just amazing. LAPD officer is investigating a murder when he gets attacked by a goblin like man with gray skin, who steals his soul. A beautiful woman named Laurel tells him he has to walk to New York to get it back.

I'd post the soliloquy of The Other Guy from Midnight Nation that he gives David Grey to show that he isn't the bad guy, but it lacks the punch it has if you haven't read the preceding issues. The whole series is just amazing. LAPD officer is investigating a murder when he gets attacked by a goblin like man with gray skin, who steals his soul. A beautiful woman named Laurel tells him he has to walk to New York to get it back.
I'm now interested.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back