R. Talasorian's Cyberpunk 2020: Any House rules you enjoy or are really tempted to employ?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Yeah that's a big deal too. Armor degradation serves a lot of downstream purposes in keeping gun-bunny characters a little more on their toes.
To be honest, even if you don't layer armour, a light jacket will stop most 9-10mm bullets dead.

To be honest, even if you don't layer armour, a light jacket will stop most 9-10mm bullets dead.
Even at point blank, 2d6+2 at best vs SP 10. A decent BTM will see that to 0. Well, 1.

My favourite weapon in 2020 was a 3d6 pistol and a 4d6 SMG combo. Often with a 25mm mini GL that I'd call the handbrake. Because it stopped cars. Git the 90s were cheesy.

But that with either AP or flechette rounds worked really well for me.

I’ve been reading 2013 this last couple of days. There’s some good stuff in there. Some not so good, too.

I glanced at FNFF over the weekend as well.

I dunno. A lot of janky chart stuff in there, but for some reason it comes across as kind of interesting janky chart stuff.

Oddly, I find myself wanting to run something using the 2013 combat and wounding rules rather than 2020's.

Sure. But you know... they probably should. Most modern light-armor vests will stop a 9mm round - it won't feel good though.

PERSONALLY... I've always felt that AP rounds in CP2020 didn't work realistically in one particular regard: the 1/2 damage after penetration. I do agree that tissue damage is lessened, but 50% less? They probably felt it was a "cleaner" calculation, but I'd have rather had a static number reduction with a 1pt. minimum based on caliber size from Medium to Large. Say -4 for Medium and -3 for Large. I'm just ballparking without giving it any thought.

Sure. But you know... they probably should. Most modern light-armor vests will stop a 9mm round - it won't feel good though.

PERSONALLY... I've always felt that AP rounds in CP2020 didn't work realistically in one particular regard: the 1/2 damage after penetration. I do agree that tissue damage is lessened, but 50% less? They probably felt it was a "cleaner" calculation, but I'd have rather had a static number reduction with a 1pt. minimum based on caliber size from Medium to Large. Say -4 for Medium and -3 for Large. I'm just ballparking without giving it any thought.
Even at point blank, 2d6+2 at best vs SP 10. A decent BTM will see that to 0. Well, 1.

My favourite weapon in 2020 was a 3d6 pistol and a 4d6 SMG combo. Often with a 25mm mini GL that I'd call the handbrake. Because it stopped cars. Git the 90s were cheesy.

But that with either AP or flechette rounds worked really well for me.
For a game based on 'realistic depictions' I think it dropped the ball on armour. If I were to run this again, and I'm working on making it so, I'd cut the Armour Value in half. In the real world defence tech lags behind weapon tech, it's always been thus. Amour has always been trying to play 'catch-up'. And remember tenbones tenbones that the damage is how much the target feels, not how much it does after punching through the armour. Most bullets don't and they still kill.

I don't think that PC's should rely on access to exotic or cop-killer rounds. Armour should mitigate the damage, not stop it cold for the average medium class firearm. Besides, 2d6+1 to +3 doesn't usually kill an unarmed person, even with the Shock roll. But it could, and that's the thing.

As always, though: Your Mileage Will Vary.

Well they have bodyarmor that stops 7.62NATO rounds (you'll have broken ribs likely, but they'll stop them.) That's why the military is currently considering moving to the 6.5mm Creedmoor round (which I've been seriously considering purchasing myself). But the 7.62 ain't going anywhere. Body armor *right* now... is pretty damn close to CP2020 values. I agree - you shouldn't have to use AP rounds... but the conceits of CP2020 are pretty simple: it's an ultra-violent world filled with ultra-violent people. The difference is the proliferation of bulletproof clothing is probably realistic. Especially if you're going to create clothing and fashion out of bullet-resistant fabrics.

The idea of Metal Gear conceptually being a futuristic armor that stops 7.62/5.56 is more than reasonable at current values. Soft armor? I'm thinking they're fine... I think the issue is closer to the specific mechanics of AP rounds. Also remember - called shots. That headshot is a motherfucker with a 9mm/10mm... Who wears a helmet walking around? And if you do... you probably have a real reason to. Otherwise it probably looks mighty suspicious.

Unless you're Tank Girl. :smile:

Edit: and you know... "realism" is also relative to fun-factor. We can slide this into Phoenix Command if we let our mileage vary too much, heh.

I think that's how my trio of Solos game got around every bad guy taking head shots. I seem to remember them wearing black biker coats, or bombers, and biker helmets, not to mention having more guns than a NRA convention expecting a police raid. :tongue: We were goin' full anime at the time, and we did the Matrix Elevator scene (that I remember clearly), in their revenge against Arasaka.

Well they have bodyarmor that stops 7.62NATO rounds (you'll have broken ribs likely, but they'll stop them.) That's why the military is currently considering moving to the 6.5mm Creedmoor round (which I've been seriously considering purchasing myself). But the 7.62 ain't going anywhere. Body armor *right* now... is pretty damn close to CP2020 values. I agree - you shouldn't have to use AP rounds... but the conceits of CP2020 are pretty simple: it's an ultra-violent world filled with ultra-violent people. The difference is the proliferation of bulletproof clothing is probably realistic. Especially if you're going to create clothing and fashion out of bullet-resistant fabrics.

The idea of Metal Gear conceptually being a futuristic armor that stops 7.62/5.56 is more than reasonable at current values. Soft armor? I'm thinking they're fine... I think the issue is closer to the specific mechanics of AP rounds. Also remember - called shots. That headshot is a motherfucker with a 9mm/10mm... Who wears a helmet walking around? And if you do... you probably have a real reason to. Otherwise it probably looks mighty suspicious.

Unless you're Tank Girl. :smile:

Edit: and you know... "realism" is also relative to fun-factor. We can slide this into Phoenix Command if we let our mileage vary too much, heh.
When it comes to realism, I don't know. I'm kind of morally against unregulated private ownership of firearms in the real world. Which is an easy position for a Brit to hold. And I will now dance way from that before I step any further over the no politics line.

But as a thought experiment for cyberpunk? That's a different story. A society where the NRA won and there's almost no limits on what personal weaponry you can buy does reflect the way a lot of people, me included, have played Cyberpunk.

One thing I always come back to for firearms in RPGs is a line from the novel First Blood. Rambo is checking out he cop's sidearm and muses that one shot from a 9mm probably wont kill you. But two will put you on the ground and three you probably won't get back up. Which may or may not be realistic, but seems like a food rule of thumb for gaming purposes.

It always seemed that 2020 got the balance right. Characters are quite squishy compared to the weapons available. But armour can make a huge difference. And once you dig up Chromebook 4, with it's custom clothing and armour rules, things can get silly.

I mean, who needs a helmet when you can get an SP 10 bandana?

When it comes to realism, I don't know. I'm kind of morally against unregulated private ownership of firearms in the real world. Which is an easy position for a Brit to hold. And I will now dance way from that before I step any further over the no politics line.

But as a thought experiment for cyberpunk? That's a different story. A society where the NRA won and there's almost no limits on what personal weaponry you can buy does reflect the way a lot of people, me included, have played Cyberpunk.

Yep. I really wanna be careful here about the "no-politics" thing - and walk with you on this a bit as it relates to real-world and specifically CP2020, because I think it's an interesting discussion that directly speaks to assumptions of the game and the genre writ-large.

So I never really looked at CP2020 as "the NRA won"... in fact as far as I know (without digging into the book) most of the Civil Rights of American's are largely rendered ambiguous at best. CP2020 absolutely has rules and laws about firearms but they're usually maintained as "handguns" are legal. Given the circumstances of CP2020's economic collapse... I mean... 100-million dead in less than the span of decade? 50-million left homeless. That kind of catastrophe is beyond most average people's comprehension. In a nation as well-stocked with firearms as the U.S. it's equally unimaginable to me that everyone wouldn't be packing irons as a normal standard.

Intent is the issue that people don't seem to get with firearms. Having lived in Inglewood, CA (suburb of Los Angeles) a good chunk of my life, while I wouldn't say it's as over-the-top violent as the Combat Zone in CP2020... it was damn close. I was an EMT there as an adult, and the amount of bodies from drive-by's and general gun-happy mayhem were all unlawful uses of firearms by people with bad intentions.

Contrast that with where I live in Dallas - where nearly *everyone* takes firearms seriously. The rigmarole of getting a CCP by people that want to be left alone and keep themselves and their spheres of life safe is palpable. I've never felt so safe. And the funny thing is I never realized how paranoid and cautious I was living in LA until I moved to Dallas. My current suburb has almost six-times less violent crime than where I lived in LA per capita. And I simply can't begin to explain how *different* it feels. And I know for a fact that more people here are carrying than there.

But it's not the act of having firearms it's the intent of the people with them. That should inform your game, of course. Living in the hood, people are poor and just trying to get by. Friction is easy to build. Here where I live now - people are largely concerned with their families, semi-well educated (lot of blue-collar trade folks making big money) but they're also very concerned with their community - something shockingly absent from my Inglewood neighbors, most of whom were unarmed and victimized into silence.

CP2020 is, in my opinion, where these two worlds collide. Whether you're anti-firearm and you live in the lawless areas outside security zones - people with *bad intentions* are going to do what they're going to do. Just like in real life. An important reality of CP2020 is that while America is fractured governmentally - the Constitution is *still* there... but it's only value is worth what people place in it. And what a lot of people miss in real life is that the Bill of Rights isn't granting anyone anything. It's saying - these are yours regardless. So even in CP2020 all politics aside - the reality is the perfect RPG situation where the GM asks: what do you do?

One thing I always come back to for firearms in RPGs is a line from the novel First Blood. Rambo is checking out he cop's sidearm and muses that one shot from a 9mm probably wont kill you. But two will put you on the ground and three you probably won't get back up. Which may or may not be realistic, but seems like a food rule of thumb for gaming purposes.

Yeah! And with the CP2020 rules... that's pretty close to accurate. Close enough.

Funny anecdote -
when I drove in to Dallas for the first time from LA, I left all my firearms in storage or with family back in LA, except my Colt 1911 .45 pistol.

Well upon getting to Dallas I got pulled over. Mind you, getting pulled over in Los Angeles with a firearm in your vehicle in Inglewood, is almost guaranteed to have your ass yanked out and eating concrete for a few minutes if you didn't play your cards right. But the cop, saw my pistol in my glove compartment when I went to get my license (and I WINCED and closed the glovebox hoping he didn't see it). He started looking at my license and without looking at me he goes "I couldn't help but notice you had a firearm in your glovebox. Is it loaded?"

My skin started crawl - thinking this good-ol' boy was about to start bouncing my head off the hood of his patrol-car. I responded "No sir." (Which lucky for me - I normally always keep it loaded, but my brother cautioned me to unload it while traveling).

He says - "Where is the magazine?" I respond "Under my seat."

Then he says "You mind slowly retrieving your firearm so I can see it?"

Now... NORMALLY in Los Angeles... **NO** cop in their right-mind would ***EVER*** ask someone to do this. My mind was racing (because I'm thinking in LA-bubble paradigms) and I'm thinking - "Is this guy setting me up? OMG he's going to blast me. I can't believe he asked me to REACH FOR MY GUN...?!?!?! @$@$@#$!!!!... so I used my right hand leaned over opened up the glovebox slowly, and using only my index finger with my hand splayed - hooked the pistol through the trigger-guard leaving it dangling and slowly passed it over to him. Every inch I moved I expected him to execute me (LOLOL yeah I'm laughing at how stupidly paranoid I sound - but I'd been living in LA for 25-years!!).

So he took my pistol and inspected it - yep it's unloaded but he had a big smile on his face. He goes "Dang. Colt .45 1911... fine gun. I'm using a 9mm." He pulled it out and turned it around for me - it was a Sig. (a really really nice firearm). Then he starts talking to me about always wanting to use a .45 but then started talking to me about the pro's/cons of 9mm... turns out he was a Marine, I'm from a Marine family. Next thing I know - we're on the side of the highway, leaning up against my SUV, talking about firearms, life, sharing stories about the Corps, basically bonding. He let me off with a warning (I was driving 95mph in a 60) and complemented me on my taste in firearms and told me to drive safe and 'welcome to Dallas'.

I'd clearly entered a Brave New World...

It always seemed that 2020 got the balance right. Characters are quite squishy compared to the weapons available. But armour can make a huge difference. And once you dig up Chromebook 4, with it's custom clothing and armour rules, things can get silly.

I mean, who needs a helmet when you can get an SP 10 bandana?

Yep! With the proliferation of firearms as part of the culture, it only makes sense that ballistic clothing would also rise in use. Why *wouldn't* you be wearing such things (if it were in your PC's social wheelhouse)? Spot on.

Yep. I really wanna be careful here about the "no-politics" thing - and walk with you on this a bit as it relates to real-world and specifically CP2020, because I think it's an interesting discussion that directly speaks to assumptions of the game and the genre writ-large.

So I never really looked at CP2020 as "the NRA won"... in fact as far as I know (without digging into the book) most of the Civil Rights of American's are largely rendered ambiguous at best. CP2020 absolutely has rules and laws about firearms but they're usually maintained as "handguns" are legal. Given the circumstances of CP2020's economic collapse... I mean... 100-million dead in less than the span of decade? 50-million left homeless. That kind of catastrophe is beyond most average people's comprehension. In a nation as well-stocked with firearms as the U.S. it's equally unimaginable to me that everyone wouldn't be packing irons as a normal standard.

Intent is the issue that people don't seem to get with firearms. Having lived in Inglewood, CA (suburb of Los Angeles) a good chunk of my life, while I wouldn't say it's as over-the-top violent as the Combat Zone in CP2020... it was damn close. I was an EMT there as an adult, and the amount of bodies from drive-by's and general gun-happy mayhem were all unlawful uses of firearms by people with bad intentions.

Contrast that with where I live in Dallas - where nearly *everyone* takes firearms seriously. The rigmarole of getting a CCP by people that want to be left alone and keep themselves and their spheres of life safe is palpable. I've never felt so safe. And the funny thing is I never realized how paranoid and cautious I was living in LA until I moved to Dallas. My current suburb has almost six-times less violent crime than where I lived in LA per capita. And I simply can't begin to explain how *different* it feels. And I know for a fact that more people here are carrying than there.

But it's not the act of having firearms it's the intent of the people with them. That should inform your game, of course. Living in the hood, people are poor and just trying to get by. Friction is easy to build. Here where I live now - people are largely concerned with their families, semi-well educated (lot of blue-collar trade folks making big money) but they're also very concerned with their community - something shockingly absent from my Inglewood neighbors, most of whom were unarmed and victimized into silence.

CP2020 is, in my opinion, where these two worlds collide. Whether you're anti-firearm and you live in the lawless areas outside security zones - people with *bad intentions* are going to do what they're going to do. Just like in real life. An important reality of CP2020 is that while America is fractured governmentally - the Constitution is *still* there... but it's only value is worth what people place in it. And what a lot of people miss in real life is that the Bill of Rights isn't granting anyone anything. It's saying - these are yours regardless. So even in CP2020 all politics aside - the reality is the perfect RPG situation where the GM asks: what do you do?

Yeah! And with the CP2020 rules... that's pretty close to accurate. Close enough.

Funny anecdote -
when I drove in to Dallas for the first time from LA, I left all my firearms in storage or with family back in LA, except my Colt 1911 .45 pistol.

Well upon getting to Dallas I got pulled over. Mind you, getting pulled over in Los Angeles with a firearm in your vehicle in Inglewood, is almost guaranteed to have your ass yanked out and eating concrete for a few minutes if you didn't play your cards right. But the cop, saw my pistol in my glove compartment when I went to get my license (and I WINCED and closed the glovebox hoping he didn't see it). He started looking at my license and without looking at me he goes "I couldn't help but notice you had a firearm in your glovebox. Is it loaded?"

My skin started crawl - thinking this good-ol' boy was about to start bouncing my head off the hood of his patrol-car. I responded "No sir." (Which lucky for me - I normally always keep it loaded, but my brother cautioned me to unload it while traveling).

He says - "Where is the magazine?" I respond "Under my seat."

Then he says "You mind slowly retrieving your firearm so I can see it?"

Now... NORMALLY in Los Angeles... **NO** cop in their right-mind would ***EVER*** ask someone to do this. My mind was racing (because I'm thinking in LA-bubble paradigms) and I'm thinking - "Is this guy setting me up? OMG he's going to blast me. I can't believe he asked me to REACH FOR MY GUN...?!?!?! @$@$@#$!!!!... so I used my right hand leaned over opened up the glovebox slowly, and using only my index finger with my hand splayed - hooked the pistol through the trigger-guard leaving it dangling and slowly passed it over to him. Every inch I moved I expected him to execute me (LOLOL yeah I'm laughing at how stupidly paranoid I sound - but I'd been living in LA for 25-years!!).

So he took my pistol and inspected it - yep it's unloaded but he had a big smile on his face. He goes "Dang. Colt .45 1911... fine gun. I'm using a 9mm." He pulled it out and turned it around for me - it was a Sig. (a really really nice firearm). Then he starts talking to me about always wanting to use a .45 but then started talking to me about the pro's/cons of 9mm... turns out he was a Marine, I'm from a Marine family. Next thing I know - we're on the side of the highway, leaning up against my SUV, talking about firearms, life, sharing stories about the Corps, basically bonding. He let me off with a warning (I was driving 95mph in a 60) and complemented me on my taste in firearms and told me to drive safe and 'welcome to Dallas'.

I'd clearly entered a Brave New World...

Yep! With the proliferation of firearms as part of the culture, it only makes sense that ballistic clothing would also rise in use. Why *wouldn't* you be wearing such things (if it were in your PC's social wheelhouse)? Spot on.
Intent is a big deal. Keeping things to 2020, as I see it, Night City is full of desparatepeople who do truly awful things on a day to day basis, just to get by.

And that's the normal folks.

Get into the inner city and it's even worse. Underfunded law enforcement, corporate security who shoot first and don't ask questions. Gangs running rampant, organised crime running every scam and operation you can think of. Edggerunners doing dirty jobs for cash. It's an ugly, ugly world.

The fact that they run a body lotto tells you everything you need to know about the normalisation of violence in Night City.

But get out on the roads and you have Nomads. Completely different culture. Rather than weapons to attack and take what you need, it's to protect your people. It's still brutal, us v them and sometimes kill or be killed. But for the most part, the emphasis shifts from using guns to enforce your will on others, you're using them for survival.

It's a subtle shift in perspective, but very relevant.

I do like your anecdote about Texas vs LA cops. I could see somethin like that happening in 2020 Texas. Which I believe has seceded from the Union by then?

I remember my players back in the day, they realised that the military have a base just outside Night City. So they planned a heist. They got info on an arms shipment being sent to the camp and went full GTA on the convoy. It was a beautifully planned and executed operation, one of the few times they really worked as a team. And they made a killing after taking the pick of the haul for themselves.

Man were they pissed when suddenly, half the gangs in town got a firepower upgrade.

I'm actually planning on pitching some supplementary material to Talsorian once CPRed drops. I want to do a supplement, ironically, concerning Nomads (and everyone else) in the corridor between the West Coast and Texas. So it would be an excuse to do vehicle combat ala Road Warrior with diesel rigs and Nomad gangs, culture, places of interest along the various routes (including secret routes).

But it will also cover things like the cultural differences in post-collapse 20xx era - in comparison and contrast to Night City specifically.

Another idea which probably deserves its own supplement is a Republic of Texas sourcebook. But we'll see.

I'm actually planning on pitching some supplementary material to Talsorian once CPRed drops. I want to do a supplement, ironically, concerning Nomads (and everyone else) in the corridor between the West Coast and Texas. So it would be an excuse to do vehicle combat ala Road Warrior with diesel rigs and Nomad gangs, culture, places of interest along the various routes (including secret routes).

But it will also cover things like the cultural differences in post-collapse 20xx era - in comparison and contrast to Night City specifically.

Another idea which probably deserves its own supplement is a Republic of Texas sourcebook. But we'll see.
takemymoney.jpg

Well I'm collecting ideas and writing notes on it now. I'll plan on tweaking things based on CPRed's final results. Most of the design stuff I'm thinking about - specifically vehicle combat is being informed by elements of the Witcher RPG...

But you know, I want to FEEL like it's Mad Max cinematic play with as close interplay between PC to vehicle scale as possible. I *really* wanna have awesome vehicle options: modification options, crafting options, including scavenging rules that can be used in other areas of the game for "DIY" tech. One of the conceits of CPRed is the fact that mass-manufactured gear is harder to come by...

So to me that means the importance of this concept "How do goods make it from locale to locale - and if not, here's how they do it themselves in the meantime!".

The rules would be applicable to any locations (not just the area I'm trying to cover)- but I'm planning on making a subsystem for GM's to create "Routes" as a gaming mechanic on its own. So whole adventures would be making a multi-leg run along routes with random tables and sub-tables to help generate obstacles and encounters for those legs.

Plus maybe some nomad-pack generators, and corporate needs including adversarial strategies against competitors moving goods along similar routes. The sky is the literal limit if you'll pardon my pun. I want some Asphalt and Blood action

Intent is a big deal. Keeping things to 2020, as I see it, Night City is full of desparatepeople who do truly awful things on a day to day basis, just to get by.

And that's the normal folks.
So according to the Night City source book, it's actually rather safe, with patches of dangerous areas. Man, did I run the city wrong. Oh and before I forget, I did the 'Matrix Elevator' scene back in the early 90's, years before the movie came out. I remember my friends flipping their buckets when they saw it.

Last edited:
Yeah it's safe in the city proper - those are security controlled areas. If you go outside of those areas... local cops are stretched too thin/corrupt/non-existent.

Serve and Protect is a fairly decent read too. It's not quite "in the pocket" in terms of quality as the best stuff in the line, but it's definitely serviceable and does a well enough job for you to customize... Although I thought the cyberered carbo-glass fanged K9 units sounded scary and but cruel.

My “Cyberpunk universe” wasn’t all that violent except around the edges. Heavy cyberware (and heavy weaponry) was pretty much limited to three groups: rich people (who tended towards less conspicuous neuroware), ex-military (I.e. the PC; many of whom worked for the rich people), and boostergangs (many of whom were ex-military and/or quietly backed by rich people, and of whom there are a lot less than the sensationalistic media would have you believe). Otherwise, the 90% or so of ordinary citizens continued to lead fairly ordinary lives - at least until they were unlucky enough to get caught in the middle of the other groups.

My world wasn’t post-apocalyptic and wasn’t cartoonishly dark. I felt like having pockets of “normalcy” even though they were mostly offstage highlighted the contrast with all the crazy and deadly “edgerunner” stuff and gave the PCs something worth fighting to preserve and protect. They’re never going to have that life (not least because it would be boring and the game would be over) but by stopping the corps from destroying it for those who do they could still be on the side of the heroes.

Not that my players really cared about any of that, though. They mostly just liked looking cool and blowing shit up ;)

So according to the Night City source book, it's actually rather safe, with patches of dangerous areas. Man, did I run the city wrong. Oh and before I forget, I did the 'Matrix Elevator' scene back in the early 90's, years before the movie came out. I remember my friends flipping their buckets when they saw it.
I hat a trenchcoat and shades wearing, far too many gun carrying kung fu kicking guy with boosted reflexes ina GURPS Cyberpunk game around 1993. The guys I gamed with also flipped their collective lods when The Matrix came out.

I hat a trenchcoat and shades wearing, far too many gun carrying kung fu kicking guy with boosted reflexes ina GURPS Cyberpunk game around 1993. The guys I gamed with also flipped their collective lods when The Matrix came out.
I was biker chic, fingerless gloves, paired guns and a sword (Katana of course), it was so bad that when the video game Devil May Cry came out, all my friends called the main lead, Dante, a 'Chris Character'. To which I've lived up since.

As for the Matrix lobby fight, what we did wasn't quite the same, a lot more 'agents' were involved, but the bomb in the elevator and riding the cable up to the top floor of Arasaka Saburo's American right hand man (Whose name I've forgotten, it was very Japanese, despite this being Night City) was close enough that I remember them playfully screaming 'plagiarism' after the movie. I don't remember much about that game, but that is admittedly a highlight.

I was biker chic, fingerless gloves, paired guns and a sword (Katana of course), it was so bad that when the video game Devil May Cry came out, all my friends called the main lead, Dante, a 'Chris Character'. To which I've lived up since.

As for the Matrix lobby fight, what we did wasn't quite the same, a lot more 'agents' were involved, but the bomb in the elevator and riding the cable up to the top floor of Arasaka Saburo's American right hand man (Whose name I've forgotten, it was very Japanese, despite this being Night City) was close enough that I remember them playfully screaming 'plagiarism' after the movie. I don't remember much about that game, but that is admittedly a highlight.
I forgot to mention his name was Anderson.

I narrowly missed running CP2020 in the Time of Red for my group here (because they opted to try out The Witcher instead); I was going to focus on a 5 block by 5 block radius in Old Town (that was our name for the suburbs just past the combat zone from downtown NC where all the workers lived while they were building NC; think cheap brownstones) where I was going to detail out all the gangs and stuff, and keep the players at the low end of things; they were going to be scrabbling for everything they got. My thematic note to myself was "they should be breaking into corp motor pools to steal parts to fix up their rides."

I want to capture the feel that I get from Mike's flavor text in the Jumpstart kit; it's a bit more hardscrabble than the 2020 sourcebooks came across. I don't plan to go with the gerneric-fu that he's tossing in though, I just don't buy it. You have to have something marketable in order to market it.

I narrowly missed running CP2020 in the Time of Red for my group here (because they opted to try out The Witcher instead); I was going to focus on a 5 block by 5 block radius in Old Town (that was our name for the suburbs just past the combat zone from downtown NC where all the workers lived while they were building NC; think cheap brownstones) where I was going to detail out all the gangs and stuff, and keep the players at the low end of things; they were going to be scrabbling for everything they got. My thematic note to myself was "they should be breaking into corp motor pools to steal parts to fix up their rides."

I want to capture the feel that I get from Mike's flavor text in the Jumpstart kit; it's a bit more hardscrabble than the 2020 sourcebooks came across. I don't plan to go with the gerneric-fu that he's tossing in though, I just don't buy it. You have to have something marketable in order to market it.

gerneric-fu?

Well what do you know. I found the House Rules doc for the last 2020 game I ran. Feel free to rip it to shreds.

Well what do you know. I found the House Rules doc for the last 2020 game I ran. Feel free to rip it to shreds.

Thanks for posting these, they look pretty interesting.

Overall, I'm looking for a more low end, street level game probably not allot of a grenade launchers and massive 'borging From the character backgrounds, it'll likely involve a good of deal familial issues.

Thanks for posting these, they look pretty interesting.

Overall, I'm looking for a more low end, street level game probably not allot of a grenade launchers and massive 'borging From the character backgrounds, it'll likely involve a good of deal familial issues.
All the charts at the back came from Interlock Unlimited. Whichbis a kind of neo-clone of 2020. If you're interested, I can throw a link up to it. The site I got it from is long since defunct.

All the charts at the back came from Interlock Unlimited. Whichbis a kind of neo-clone of 2020. If you're interested, I can throw a link up to it. The site I got it from is long since defunct.

Sorry, I didn't mean the description of the game I was hoping to run as a critique of your House rule document. It was mostly a weird kind of thinking aloud and looking for any advice folks might have. I should have put it in a different post.

Sorry, I didn't mean the description of the game I was hoping to run as a critique of your House rule document. It was mostly a weird kind of thinking aloud and looking for any advice folks might have. I should have put it in a different post.
It's fine. I was just crediting my sources.

Does anyone know a site that has the Cyberpunk 2020 time line available?

Yes, but I was looking for a site to send my players that don't have access to the book.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Take the setting and run with it, rather than worrying about how the timeline doesnt match the real world.

Yes, but I was looking for a site to send my players that don't have access to the book.

This looks moderately accurate. It's VERY high level view I believe is culled mostly from the core and doesn't have a lot of the material from the Home of the Brave book.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Take the setting and run with it, rather than worrying about how the timeline doesnt match the real world.

Oh, they understand the setting is a divergent future history with a variant tech path (someone like allot of steampunk settings ) I wanted to show them timeline to give them some background and sense of the tone of the setting and the knowledge to tie their characters into the background.

This looks moderately accurate. It's VERY high level view I believe is culled mostly from the core and doesn't have a lot of the material from the Home of the Brave book.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back