Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
So been weird here. Blazing heat wave has sucked the life out of me. Work super stressful for no real reason. So I completely slept through someone getting shot down the road from me. Crazy days folks. Crazy days.

The region of Rio I grew up in is a very traditional, sprawling middle-class residential neighborhood, albeit ringed by favelas. And the 80s and 90s were a period of serious unrest there as local drug dealers consolidated into warring alliances and came into frequent armed conflict with the police. Distant sounds of gunfire echoed into the night as we slept; my father taught me to tell what weapon was being fired from the sounds. And those who lived closer to the favelas might get their homes (if not themselves) shot by stray bullets.

These things still happen, BTW. The community hospital I work in lies a few hundred metres from the most violent favela in Rio and we've had OR windows broken by stray bullets.

Which is to say, I too have slpet through people getting shot at.

Its just a strange thing for us around here. The neighborhood is very quiet. Lots of old folks. Plus kind of a dumb place to do some thing like this. Considering the state police post, state police training academy, and the state police headquarters/dept of homeland defense is literally less than a quarter mile from here.

We live directly across the water from Rainer Beach area of south Seattle. For the first year in my house on the island we thought 'Damn people in south Seattle light off a lot of random fireworks! ". Then we started looking at police reports and realized we were hearing gunshots.

So been weird here. Blazing heat wave has sucked the life out of me. Work super stressful for no real reason
Sounds like my life. Not sure if anyone was murdered locally but the fireworks* are driving me nuts.

I know I should be staying in but I was getting stir crazy and took the Mrs to a local oyster bar. The place is a couple blocks from my house but I don't go there often because it is expensive. The seating was outside and the tables were a safe distance from each other so I figured why the hell not. I spent like a billion dollars but it was worth it; I definitely recommend the experience if you have a special someone in your life. Since we haven't gamed in months the Mrs asked if I could run a solo game for her; I agreed on the condition that she picked a mini and suggested Dark Sword miniatures. It was a good night.

* I live in a Vietnamese/Hispanic neighborhood and for whatever reason the locals go absolutely fucking nuts with fireworks for weeks before and after New Year's, Lunar New Year, and the 4th. There is a sizeable minority of males like yours truly who have been conditioned by the military to go into alert mode when they hear a rapid succession of explosions at 3am that sound like a firefight.

Last edited:
In the interest of getting my collection more organized as well as getting rid of items I don't want, I assembled a pair of new shelves today so I can move things around. I'm trying to see if I can fit everything essential into this nook (the dark shelf is one of the new pair):
Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg
It's a work in progress but I'd estimate that's about 75% of my RPG collection. I found a number of items I don't want (some of which I have no idea how they got into my house, maybe someone left them or gave them to me?--if so, it's been years) so I'll probably be starting another giveaway thread in the next few weeks.

In the interest of getting my collection more organized as well as getting rid of items I don't want, I assembled a pair of new shelves today so I can move things around. I'm trying to see if I can fit everything essential into this nook (the dark shelf is one of the new pair):
It's a work in progress but I'd estimate that's about 75% of my RPG collection. I found a number of items I don't want (some of which I have no idea how they got into my house, maybe someone left them or gave them to me?--if so, it's been years) so I'll probably be starting another giveaway thread in the next few weeks.
We've got a lot of the same stuff on our shelves. :hehe:

I've been advocating for arranging the tables and chairs in the coffee corner at my work - or whatever you call the place where you spend your breaks eating, drinking and/or socializing - in a certain way so everyone will sit at least 1.5m away from the person nearest to them. I even sketched a quick floorplan. To no avail. I suspect the shiftleaders are too lazy and cowardly to bother with monitoring or enforcing adherence to such guidelines... I'm now attempting an appeal to the Works Council. It's really annoying how such a simple and cheap idea that's so easy to implement just gets quietly dismissed.

Last week it was announced on intranet that the company restaurant has been reopened after rendering it corona-proof, among other things by rearranging the furniture to make sure everyone sits at least 1.5m away from the person nearest to them... So, why not the coffee corner? Beats me.

1pzq.gif

Last edited:
Glad to hear! Can only imagine (actually can't, and don't want to) what went through your head during the time...

Good news/ bad news/ good news: Finally got around to doing my taxes/ for the second time in my life I owe taxes, rather than being owed a refund/ I owe three whole dollars in state taxes and five whole dollars in federal taxes.
Do we need to set up a GoFundMe account to help you shoulder the expenses?

Trying to figure things out for fall teaching. We'll be doing a lot online or blended, so there's a learning curve for overly-traditional-pedagogy me. The "how to do X" part isn't difficult: there are good resources for that. It's more the "how SHOULD I do X" that's taking a lot of mental energy ...

Did something possibly silly: started a reorganizing project without a clear end-goal. But since it's mainly a "keep E-Rocker busy" project, I guess that's okay.

I have lots of stuff: comic books, board games, clothes, etc. But I also have a TON of space- I live alone in a three-bedroom apartment that is bigger than the first house my parents owned. So, theoretically, it should be easy to organize everything. I struggle with organization, though. I really like being organized, but I'm not that great at it. I think more shelving would help. Yeah, I'll probably pick up some shelving tomorrow.

Of course, getting rid of stuff is also an option, and it's one that I've pursued vigorously over the past few years. Although I do still have a lot of stuff, it's (mostly) stuff that I want/ like/ use. Besides, most places around here are not currently accepting donations, anyway.

The real world keeps getting more out of control. The convenience store close to me. (like maybe a 1/4 mile away) Which I frequent everyday. A guy without a mask freaked out when they refused service because of it. He then got into it with another "masked" customer and stabbed the masked man. (a 77 year old man by the way) He then took off and got pulled over by the sheriffs department. He charged the officer with the knife. Who shot the assailant. This COVID stuff is making people crazy-er. Be careful out there folks. Love and tolerance is the key. Even if you cant love them, try to tolerate them. Lets not let this civilization thing slide away.

Fucking morons.
Pretty much.

On the other hand if their wasn't such a stigma about talking to a psychologist, or psychiatrist. Just mental health in general. Maybe people would be better at dealing with the anxiety of life, and chaotic situations. I don't know. Got to be better than whats rocking now. I'm expecting a combination of "Mad Max" and "The Postman" at any time. :sad:

Pretty much.

On the other hand if their wasn't such a stigma about talking to a psychologist, or psychiatrist. Just mental health in general. Maybe people would be better at dealing with the anxiety of life, and chaotic situations. I don't know. Got to be better than whats rocking now. I'm expecting a combination of "Mad Max" and "The Postman" at any time. :sad:
I grew up where The Postman was filmed, does this mean I'm better prepared for the apocalypse?

I have two folders in my bookmarks where I collect news stories that are of significant interest to me. These are titled "Central Banking" (where all the bad stuff goes) and "Spiral Dynamics" (where all the good stuff goes) (the titles are both holdovers from the topics of the very first news stories saved to them). There is a HUGE disparity between the size of these folders. It actually wasn't until today I realized it has been a year and a half since anything got saved to "Spiral Dynamics". But today a news story made it there. And I figured I'd share it, because it's easy to get really depressed about the future of the human race these days.

On July 9th, my six year old nephew Bridger saved his little sister’s life by standing between her and a charging dog. After getting bit several times on the face and head, he grabbed his sister’s hand and ran with her to keep her safe. He later said, “If someone had to die, I thought it should be me.” After receiving 90 stitches (give or take) from a skilled plastic surgeon, he’s finally resting at home. We love our brave boy and want all the other superheroes to know about this latest hero who joined their ranks.

109318897_3520349588082892_4754429734908125899_n.jpg

On the other hand if there wasn't such a stigma about talking to a psychologist, or psychiatrist. Just mental health in general. Maybe people would be better at dealing with the anxiety of life, and chaotic situations.
I'm not exactly the most mentally stable person myself, yet I don't feel the urge to resort to such measures. Though I must say that large groups of people ignoring or dismissing pandemic guidelines make me feel somewhat agitated.

Playing Kill Team yesterday with my son, which lead to "the talk".

"How come Space Marines are taller than other guys"
"Well you see...."
<Hour and a half later>
"Who were the Necrons fighting though"
"Well now that's all about the War in Heaven..."

Playing Kill Team yesterday with my son, which lead to "the talk".

"How come Space Marines are taller than other guys"
"Well you see...."
<Hour and a half later>
"Who were the Necrons fighting though"
"Well now that's all about the War in Heaven..."
Lucky kid, I had to learn about it from the internet!

Just found out a close friend who I haven't been able to talk to a bit was battling cancer just had multiple heart attacks and is severely brain damaged and will probably pass away. They aren't talking about it publicly yet so I just needed somewhere to just vent where no one knows me in real life. Just fuck all this.

Last edited:
Just found out a close friend who I haven't been able to talk to a bit was battling cancer just had multiple heart attacks and is severely brain damaged and will probably pass away. They aren't talking about it publicly yet so I just needed somewhere to just vent where no one knows me in real life. Just fuck all this.

Sorry to hear that. Strength and peace.

Prayers for him, his family and you.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back