Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I was today years old when I ordered marijuana delivery for the first time. Marijuana isn't my thing by any means but the Mrs and I rarely get a full day off together. In fact, an entire day off together is rare enough that I want to celebrate by ordering some mellow edibles so we can watch a funny movie and chill out.

I was today years old when I ordered marijuana delivery for the first time. Marijuana isn't my thing by any means but the Mrs and I rarely get a full day off together. In fact, a day off together is rare enough that I want to celebrate by ordering some mellow edibles so we can watch a funny movie and chill out.

I've been considering that recently. It's been a good two years since I last indulged.

I've only indulged in marijuana twice in my life. Once in college while quite drunk. At that time I saw no reason to do something illegal when I couldn't differentiate it from something I could legally do. The next time was In my 30's in Amsterdam. I mean it sort of seemed required. I did not enjoy it. At all
But to each their own. I normally don't think about it's consumption until I bumped into one of the Lego corporate stickers for Target. He commented that it is really hard in Seattle to find anyone who can pass the drug tests nowadays.

I've only indulged in marijuana twice in my life. Once in college while quite drunk. At that time I saw no reason to do something illegal when I couldn't differentiate it from something I could legally do. The next time was In my 30's in Amsterdam. I mean it sort of seemed required. I did not enjoy it. At all
But to each their own. I normally don't think about it's consumption until I bumped into one of the Lego corporate stickers for Target. He commented that it is really hard in Seattle to find anyone who can pass the drug tests nowadays.

A lot of drug tests are pretty easy to pass, even if you do drugs, given sufficient notice. Still, I support drug testing, if only because it weeds out the people too dumb or lazy to pass them. That having been said, I question their effectiveness because they're so easy to beat, and since they ignore alcohol. I've passed more than one pre-employment drug screen, without need or use of any adulterants, while drunk as a skunk.

I don't drink or use any hard drugs (ex-problem drinker/druggie), or even smoke cigarettes these days. I occasionally do some THC edibles, but it's super rare. Like once every couple of years rare. I just hardly ever feel the desire to do anything like that. If and when I do, it's a very small amount. Just the slightest buzz. Which is why I prefer edibles, as it's easy to regulate the dose you want. About 5mg in my case.

I have a relative who worked a very lucrative job for fifteen years. She was hired through a temp agency originally, and had requested a place that didn't drug test (I live in the greater Austin area, moat people I know smoke). She ended up at a California-based (but international) company for a very long time. Making six figures when she left.

It's been interesting to see the shift in attitudes toward weed in my lifetime.

What I really miss is good beer. But once I start drinking, I don't stop until I'm unconscious or in jail, and it's always gonna be one of the two. And while I drank plenty of shitty booze just to get drunk, I genuinely appreciated good beer. Dark. Thick. Bitter. Mm-mm. But, I know better these days. I just don't have any control when it comes to alcohol.

I don't go to meetings or anything, though I have (Hell, I've been to so many rehabs, I could write a travel guide for Fodor). I just don't drink or use hard drugs, or any drugs, most of the time. It works out for me.

I had ordered a memory foam pillow, since the mattress/topper has been helping me sleep better. Got it today, and 6 hours later, the pillow hasn't expanded much. The listing says it takes an hour or two to expand fully. Guess I got a defective one. I'll let it sit a day or so, then see about sending it back.

I also ordered one of those weighted blanks. Should be getting that one tuesday

I had ordered a memory foam pillow, since the mattress/topper has been helping me sleep better. Got it today, and 6 hours later, the pillow hasn't expanded much. The listing says it takes an hour or two to expand fully. Guess I got a defective one. I'll let it sit a day or so, then see about sending it back.

I got a tempur one at one point and it didn't expand a lot when I got it, although it wasn't packed very compressed. Try it for a few nights before you dismiss it. I found I still prefer duck or goose feather pillows to memory foam ones, but lots of folks swear by them.

I was today years old when I ordered marijuana delivery for the first time. Marijuana isn't my thing by any means but the Mrs and I rarely get a full day off together. In fact, an entire day off together is rare enough that I want to celebrate by ordering some mellow edibles so we can watch a funny movie and chill out.
I've been considering that recently. It's been a good two years since I last indulged.
But to each their own. I normally don't think about its consumption until I bumped into one of the Lego corporate stickers for Target. He commented that it is really hard in Seattle to find anyone who can pass the drug tests nowadays.
I don't drink or use any hard drugs (ex-problem drinker/druggie), or even smoke cigarettes these days. I occasionally do some THC edibles, but it's super rare. Like once every couple of years rare. I just hardly ever feel the desire to do anything like that. If and when I do, it's a very small amount. Just the slightest buzz. Which is why I prefer edibles, as it's easy to regulate the dose you want. About 5mg in my case.
I smoked a lot of pot from the early 1990s until the early 2000s. Enough for the rest of my life apparently, because I simply stopped getting the urge to indulge sometime around 2005/6 when I met my current spouse and she decided to move to the Netherlands to live with me. There was also quite a lot of drinking, but always limited to parties during the weekends. I've never taken any other drugs.

I still smoke tobacco, which I picked up on during my pot smoking days, but these days it's limited to about 1-3 cigarettes per day, workdays only.

I can't say the whole corona thing has made me want to smoke or eat marijuana again, yet. This may be for the better, since I'm likely somewhat susceptible to psychosis when under severe stress, judging from my reaction to workplace bullying/mobbing in 2015. I developed PTSD and mild depression, and the psych told me my I had apparently been near-psychotic at one point. My tendency to social anxiety/avoidance/phobia likely also didn't help. So yeah, probably no psychoactive substances for me anytime soon. Thoug there are people wbo claim to have actually improved any psychological issues by taking certain hallucinogenics such as peyote, ayahuasca or mushrooms. Which would be fantastic, but I'm really hesitant to risk it.

I was never a heavy pot smoker, and didn't even try it until my 30s. But I find it relaxes my muscles and quiets my brain in a way that's very soothing, and makes food taste good, so its nice every once in a while, kinda like getting a massage. I drink even less, maybe once, twice a year, though that's partly because the only alcohol I like is very very expensive.

I hardly ever drink these days. Only a very occasional beer or red port. I never liked wine anyway.

I started drinking at 30 and enjoy it, but not to the point of drunkenness (and can easily go months without so much as a sip of alcohol).

Never did tobacco, probably on account of losing grandfather and father to COPD; tried cigars a couple of times, actually enjoyed it, but not enough to pick up the habit.

Never did marijuana, MDMA or anything else (though those two were the ones I saw my friends trying).

Sugar, though. Sugar owns my soul. Sugar is the one I can’t seem to shake off.

Last edited:
I've never been a solitary drinker. The drinking at parties was always primarily just a way to get drunk, so we weren't picky about what kind of alcohol we used. I've taken marijuana when alone on occasion, but most of the time that was also a social thing. It's often a thin line between escapism and self-medication, but I think solitary indulging definitely tends more towards the latter.

Also, coffee!

BackSizzlingHamster-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
I was never a heavy pot smoker, and didn't even try it until my 30s. But I find it relaxes my muscles and quiets my brain in a way that's very soothing, and makes food taste good, so its nice every once in a while, kinda like getting a massage. I drink even less, maybe once, twice a year, though that's partly because the only alcohol I like is very very expensive.
All of my pot-smoking experiences as a teen and in my 20s were anxious, paranoid waking nightmares. Turned me off of marijuana forever. I blame my acid flashbacks for the hallucinations and bizarre, rambling thoughts.

I would love to try the kinds that are meant purely for mellowing out or reducing anxiety. Still worried, though, that my brain will have another fever-dream.

So, anyone here have any experience with supposed 'psychedelic healing' to help deal with trauma or anxiety?

Daughter has her coming of age ceremony tomorrow.

Might have mentioned that I have a daughter in Japan from my first marriage. Her Japanese mum basically kidnapped from Britain when our marriage ended, but I've put a lot off effort into keeping in contact with my daughter. We've visited each other many times over the years, and I'd like to think we get on well.

ANYWAY, Japan celebrates kids becoming legal adults at the age of 20 with a ceremony at the town hall every January. The day is called seijin no hi, the ceremony is seijin shiki. My daughter's day is tomorrow, so I've just had a ton of pictures from her in her kimono. Proud dad!

Last edited:
I got a tempur one at one point and it didn't expand a lot when I got it, although it wasn't packed very compressed. Try it for a few nights before you dismiss it. I found I still prefer duck or goose feather pillows to memory foam ones, but lots of folks swear by them.
I swear by them. Back when I was buying standard pillows filled with foam offcuts, my oversized pumpkin head would mash them to sad flat thing in six months. I've had the same memory foam pillow for five years and it's still comfortable.

Only problem is that it's contoured on one side to support my head and flat on the other, so I can't turn it over to the cold side anymore.

Let me know what you think about the weighted blanket as we are thinking of getting one too. And good luck with the pillow. I bought a very expensive one and wasn’t happy with it as it didn’t change shape fast enough. As for mattresses I have a 5 year old memory foam/latex/gel and my sleep has never been better. Best $2k I ever spent and when this one wears out I will get another. No springs for me!

Last edited:
i have a weighted blanket. I sleep too hot with it, but it's not bad.

I have a trio of foam mattresses in the house. all off of amazon. like $400-$600 a pop. great investment. had them for 5 years at least.

The Mrs. told me she wanted to start VTubing yesterday which I support whole heartedly. I hope this is something she sticks with and not another fleeting interest with no follow through.

All of my pot-smoking experiences as a teen and in my 20s were anxious, paranoid waking nightmares. Turned me off of marijuana forever. I blame my acid flashbacks for the hallucinations and bizarre, rambling thoughts.

I would love to try the kinds that are meant purely for mellowing out or reducing anxiety. Still worried, though, that my brain will have another fever-dream.
Same here, I know that feel. Back in the bad old days, smoking marijuana often led to paranoia and anxiety. I didn't see what people saw in marijuana because even at the best of times it didn't help me relax and after a bad experience I avoided it for many years. When it became legal a lot of options and information became available, eventually leading me to taking small, measured doses through edibles without the unpleasant side effects.

I started drinking at 30 and enjoy it, but not to the point of drunkenness (and can easily go months without so much as a sip of alcohol).

Never did tobacco, probably on account of losing grandfather and father to COPD; tried cigars a couple of times, actually enjoyed it, but not enough to pick up the habit.

Never did marijuana, MDMA or anything else (though those two were the ones I saw my friends trying).

Sugar, though. Sugar owns my soul. Sugar is the one I can’t seem to shake off.
I never smoked, but I'll have a occasional cigar if friends are. Tried Marijuana once, eh. Coke was the party drug of choice when I was young, not X, but I've never done any illegal stuff knowingly.
I don't drink much alcohol these days, but I can still go nuts occasionally. German, Irish, Polish - I got the Trifecta of alcohol consumption.
I'd would be interested in trying psychedelics, but only with a Shaman or trained Psychologist/Psychiatrist.

So, here I am, drinking iced coffee with grass jelly out of a plastic bag. One of the neighbours also makes lovely homemade lemonade that she sells - in plastic bags. We've gotten Teh Kampul (iced tea with lime and other bits and pieces) in plastic bags. It's all great and very economical, but you can't put them down without spilling the contents.

Isolation finishes tomorrow. Off to the hospital for a dodgy Chinese rapid-test.

In related news, I finally gave in and put some hydrocortisone on the dermatitis and mosquito bites on my legs. It feels much better already.

I've never been a solitary drinker. The drinking at parties was always primarily just a way to get drunk, so we weren't picky about what kind of alcohol we used. I've taken marijuana when alone on occasion, but most of the time that was also a social thing. It's often a thin line between escapism and self-medication, but I think solitary indulging definitely tends more towards the latter.

Also, coffee!

BackSizzlingHamster-size_restricted.gif

That's part of my thing with alcohol (or lack thereof). As a kid I was never much of a party person, and therefore experienced no significant peer pressure to get drunk.

So, anyone here have any experience with supposed 'psychedelic healing' to help deal with trauma or anxiety?

Still very much experimental, to the best of my knowledge. I'd reach out to the local university hospital -- if they're not doing it, they'll be the best people to nudge you the right way.

Still very much experimental, to the best of my knowledge. I'd reach out to the local university hospital -- if they're not doing it, they'll be the best people to nudge you the right way.
You hear some people have great healing experiences with ayahuasca but at the same time there's no discerning the charlatans from the "real thing", if that even exists.

A homeless fellow who used to live in the suite behind my shop died of a drug overdose today. I found out from his girlfriend. She came in crying and wanting to use my phone and contact her family. The last time she was in here, she stole my son's wallet so I haven't been willing to let her come in and hang out anymore. It's not so much the wallet, as that it could have been the wallet of anyone who comes in here, some of whom aren't particularly forgiving. The guy had fire fighting, carpentry, and heavy equipment operator tickets but he couldn't find work. The economy's been pretty bad here for a few years and the jobs in the oil patch have mostly gone. But he had drug problems and a criminal record on top of all that. He lost his mother to diabetes earlier this year. It's been warm this winter and walking home from my shop I pass at least two or three people sleeping in doorways, sometimes half a dozen. There are shelters but many prefer to avoid them if they can.

There's got to be a better solution to these problems. Hopefully someday someone smarter than me will come along and figure them out. :sad:

We had a brief lock down here in Brisbane for a few days, to try and get on top of the pandemic, and it seemed to work quite well. So far, so good.

It’s mid Summer here in Queensland, so for those in the States it’s along the lines of Summer in Florida or Southern California.

We were watching all the chaos overseas in Washington, and were pretty dumbfounded by it all.
Hope all of you stay safe over there

Anyway we had a great lockdown. My mate stayed at my place for a few days and we spent most of it eating BBQ and listening to music in the pool.
I kept the beer stubbies flowing and we got totally smashed while watching my early-adolescent sons doing unauthorised bomb-dives into the pool, much to my wife’s displeasure heh heh

In the downtime we actually rolled up some characters for my upcoming CONAN rpg session that i aim to be GMing this weekend.

Lots of rock music and reggae music got played this weekend.
My pool got lots of use, and lots of Aussie beer got drank.

I am still a bit dehydrated and don’t feel good, but it was a great lockdown :thumbsup:

Last edited:
A homeless fellow who used to live in the suite behind my shop died of a drug overdose today. I found out from his girlfriend. She came in crying and wanting to use my phone and contact her family. The last time she was in here, she stole my son's wallet so I haven't been willing to let her come in and hang out anymore. It's not so much the wallet, as that it could have been the wallet of anyone who comes in here, some of whom aren't particularly forgiving. The guy had fire fighting, carpentry, and heavy equipment operator tickets but he couldn't find work. The economy's been pretty bad here for a few years and the jobs in the oil patch have mostly gone. But he had drug problems and a criminal record on top of all that. He lost his mother to diabetes earlier this year. It's been warm this winter and walking home from my shop I pass at least two or three people sleeping in doorways, sometimes half a dozen. There are shelters but many prefer to avoid them if they can.

There's got to be a better solution to these problems. Hopefully someday someone smarter than me will come along and figure them out. :sad:

I work in community mental health and public welfare, and this sounds like something I often come across.
Yep, a very sad situation :sad:

Last edited:
Not logged in or posted for months. Indeed, not played anything for months. Redundancy, illness, and the like. Rough times. Plus dealing with relatives who refuse to acknowledge there is an actually serious public health emergency and insist on "just popping over for a bit" despite OUR FAMILY HAVING SUFFERED REALLY SERIOUSLY FROM THIS CRAP! Aaaarrrggh.People!

Not logged in or posted for months. Indeed, not played anything for months. Redundancy, illness, and the like. Rough times. Plus dealing with relatives who refuse to acknowledge there is an actually serious public health emergency and insist on "just popping over for a bit" despite OUR FAMILY HAVING SUFFERED REALLY SERIOUSLY FROM THIS CRAP! Aaaarrrggh.People!

Sorry to hear that. Hope you land on your feet, soon.

And we're now in power outage season. My recent investment into a generator and a sub panel is feeling pretty good now. But I am a bit worried the noise from the generator is disturbing the neighbors. To make matters worse Covid is on the rise here so it's not like I feel comfortable saying "just come on over and get warm, etc"

And we're now in power outage season. My recent investment into a generator and a sub panel is feeling pretty good now. But I am a bit worried the noise from the generator is disturbing the neighbors. To make matters worse Covid is on the rise here so it's not like I feel comfortable saying "just come on over and get warm, etc"
I can’t imagine how cold it might be when central heating isn’t available during mid Winter over there. I hope your building’s power comes back soon.

I can’t imagine how cold it might be when central heating isn’t available during mid Winter over there. I hope your building’s power comes back soon.
It could be much worse. Seattle has mild winters compared to much of the country. The lows are expected to be 38-40 F. The generator is working to keep the heat going so I'm just super heating the house so it has more room to go down and be comfortable in the evening.

To Nobby-W
SECRET TO INSECT & SPIDER BITES: Heat.

It denatures the venom and/or anticoagulant.

Best application method I recommend is a hair blow drier with an adjustable heat function. Hold it a safe distance (around 6" to 1') from the bite and wait until it hurts like someone just singed you with a blown out match. It will tingle and itch beforehand until it gets to this pain point, then calm down after. Immediately stop hair drier and let skin be from thereon. May douse skin in water or apply lotion to soothe heat & dryness. ONLY DO THIS ONCE PER DAY to avoid heat blisters.

Spider bites take several days of this therapy.

Take it from someone that has had to have steroid cycles (and even epinephrine) to stop some insect & spider allergy responses. (I still don't know if I am allergic to several common insects & spiders because my responses elsewhere are that bad.) Everything else OTC (over the counter) I've used over the years PALES in comparison.

(Also be sure to wash off previous applications of hydrocortisone before new applications. Layered applications (such as more than once per day) have been known to induce an irritated dermatological response. This was previously unknown in my childhood until I and many others discovered it and had to report to doctors and so on up the chain. Some topical cortico-steroids do mention this in instructions, but it is often overlooked. Yes, I am THAT sensitive.)

I don’t usually wear my white coat to the Pub but that is terrible advice.

Steroids are cool, though. Just make sure you have a prescription.
It's just OTC Hydrocortisone cream that I use for dermatitis. Generally a few applications is enough to calm everything down.

I don’t usually wear my white coat to the Pub but that is terrible advice.

Steroids are cool, though. Just make sure you have a prescription.

And make sure that they are not prescribing too much within a year. If you have more than one round in 6 months (and really more than one round in a year), then someone on your medical team is not looking closely enough at your chart to see it. I know this not just from what my doctors have said in response to having reactions that seemingly might benefit from them, but also from seeing the results first hand. It can be unavoidable, but not usually.

And heat does help bites. I'm not sure about this exact method, but I've seen using a hot spoon or bumper help with the symptoms/swelling/itching.

And make sure that they are not prescribing too much within a year. If you have more than one round in 6 months (and really more than one round in a year), then someone on your medical team is not looking closely enough at your chart to see it. I know this not just from what my doctors have said in response to having reactions that seemingly might benefit from them, but also from seeing the results first hand. It can be unavoidable, but not usually.

I wouldn’t go so far as to state that as a general principle — some people do need a lot of steroids and it’s really a case by case judgement — though if you think your doc’s not paying attention you absolutely should seek out a second opinion.

But that’s enough medical stuff for a day. Unless someone wants to talk about their crit tables or rules for wound infection.

Got back into making music. Haven't really been considering roleplaying. Haven't done anything since last March when we all went into lockdown. I'd like to, but I can't play for hours and hours as many online sessions seem to last. Britain is in shock; we're all just trying to survive this hellscape that we've been put in. Saying anymore would invoke the no politics rule. But that is the world as it stands. I was interested in CPRed, but for the price? Not for me. I'm still working through the 2000ad Humble Bundle (plus extras) that came out a few bundles ago. I was tempted by the Cp2020 bundle, but honestly I think it's a bit too much nostalgia.

Curiously, though I'm distant from them these days (as nobody ever wanted to play the games i was interested in), my FLGS has 'defied' lockdown to remain open as a click and collect store. I think a lot of palces are doing that now. This is meant to be a strict lockdown but it isn't, and that's a mixed bag of course. I can't blame them, furlough is a joke, and they don't want their business disappearing of course

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back