Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
This is me not dealing with stress well. I fucked about for nearly four or five hours after work trying to do the right thing and get report card shit done. Yay me. Now its four in the morning and I'm high as a kite. Fuck. :grin:
It's going around.

Let the world bear witness! My wife is a terrible human being who uses the last of the milk and doesn't replace it!

Man, do you know how often people in my house drink the last of like, a 2 liter or grab the last can of seltzer and DON'T PUT MORE IN THE FRIDGE EVEN THOUGH IT IS RIGHT THERE AND WOULD TAKE 2 SECONDS.

Kids. I swear.

The Pub seems to be blocked on my work computer, which is a tad weird, since almost nothing is blocked on my work computer. :sad:

In happier news, I'm scheduled for my first dose of COVID vaccine on Tuesday!! Stoked that life will be inching ever so slightly closer to normal.

Ok people I know this is probably the biggest secret in the world but you know that switch that turns on the lights. You can use it to turn them off as well!!!!! Try it!

One of my kids is 15. They used to always leave lights on until a few months ago. Now, they're turning them off every time they go through a room. I leave the room for 20 seconds and return to the lights out. They don't see me sitting some place and turn the lights off on me. They should be old enough to use the switches at a reasonable rate.

One of my kids is 15. They used to always leave lights on until a few months ago. Now, they're turning them off every time they go through a room. I leave the room for 20 seconds and return to the lights out. They don't see me sitting some place and turn the lights off on me. They should be old enough to use the switches at a reasonable rate.

I'll admit I've reached in and turned the light to the bathroom off and it turned out my wife was on the toilet.

I passed the refresher course on safety rules for use of the EPT (Electrische PalletTruck) this afternoon.

That's one of these, no idea what they are called in English:
14182-9486313.jpg

I passed the refresher course on safety rules for use of the EPT (Electrische PalletTruck) this afternoon.

14182-9486313.jpg

Looks like a fork-lift to me.

14182-9486313.jpg
I think they're called electric pallet jacks

Looks like a fork-lift to me.
Nah, it's not a fork-lift. You need an actual fork-lift driver's license for those. Any idiot can ride/drive one of these EPTs. All it takes is a little practice. But we're supposed to adhere to the safety rules, hence the periodic course/exam. It's extremely easy. They only do it for the insurance. But this was the first time I made exactly zero mistakes, though.

This is a fork-lift:
hefttruck.png

Last edited:
I used to have an Epson printer. Good printer. And third party inks were cost effective...until a firmware update stopped it recognising third party inks! Sorry Epson, it's my printer and of I want to use Third party inks, I will. Luckily is only had it a few months ago I took it and the spare inks I had back to the shop and got a refund. Would never buy Epson again.

Welp my new corporate work PC has not worked since day 1 and IT has not responded to my trouble ticket; for now I can still hang out at the pub and watch Family Guy while on the job (my workload in this industry swings back and forth from incredibly busy to completely dead).

Luckily is only had it a few months ago I took it and the spare inks I had back to the shop and got a refund. Would never buy Epson again.
Good for you, that would be a deal breaker for me as well.

Aliens. The second Alien movie. Ripley in a robotic loader takes on the Alien Queen going after the little girl.
I get it now, but I don't think fork-lifts are all that similar to those robotic loaders, hence I didn't get it at first.

Ripley's exoskeleton is a forklift after centuries of evolution, kinda like comparing an assault rifle to an arquebus.

Yeah, that's how my mind works.

But there's a reason it's best that my job situation has me working in isolation.

I've been eyeballing a Xerox C7020 MFP for a little while as you can get Postscript for it and it does A3 on both the printer and the scanner. Toner costs are fairly cheap per-page by colour printer standards. However it's very expensive, north of £1,500 and about another £300 for the Postscript ROM. I've got a B&W A3 laser and an A4 colour MFP that I'm using at the moment so the C7020 is a nice-to-have that I'll treat myself to if my current gig lasts as far as the end of the year.

Even though I'd have to go through a lot of pages to make back the difference in cost between that and an A3 inkjet it will be a lot more tolerant of being left idle for a few weeks. It will also take up less space than the two printers I have at the moment. Postscript is also a useful feature if I was to go to using someting in the TeX family for composition as a lot of the graphics capabilities like PSTricks in TeX are dependent on it.

This year marks my 30th anniversary as a Postscript user. In 1991 I got hold of a book called Build Yourself a Postscript Laser Printer and Save a Bundle. It explained how to get an old HP laserjet series 1 (based on the 1st gen Canon CX engine) and fit a motherboard from an Apple Laserwriter to it.

As the going rate for anything with Postscript was about 4,000 pesos at the time and the bill of materials for my printer came to about $1,300 I feel I did, indeed save a bundle. It worked fairly well, although it only had enough memory to load two or three fonts at a time, so one tended to mostly use the built-in fonts in conjunction with maybe one or two for display type. It was a bit of a Heath-Robinson contraption, though - the motherboard was mounted upside-down on the case lid and the spacers tended to fall off, so it wound up being held in place with string. Nonetheless, it actually worked and did sterling service for several years until I went to university and had access to modern laser printers there.

It had a serial port so you could connect to it with a terminal emulator programme and work on an interactive Postscript prompt. You can still do this with most networked Postscript printers by telneting to it on port 9000 or 9100.
My first laser printer was a Post Script printer (having played with Apple Laserwriters in grad school and playing with Post Script some. The problem with Texas Instruments MicroLaser that I got was the drum was a separate FRU from the toner and it was expensive. My drum started having problems and I was able to coax it along, but it required constant cleaning. Eventually I think the problem was that the printer wasn't supported by Windows XP. It was nice with the large paper capacity, but it just wasn't working out. My flatbed scanner had also given up the ghost. So we invested in the Canon MF 4100 and it's been serving us well, though for a time, my Windows 8.1 laptop didn't like it so I actually had to print via my wife's laptop. But now it seems happy on my Windows 10 laptop. Since we moved, I haven't used the fax capability (no phone line in my office) but the scanner and photocopier aspects are nice. Plus it does 2-sided printing.

The biggest thing I miss from work is 11x17 printing... I used to make 4 page character sheets and print them on 11x17 and then fold them in half. Instant character folder and very roomy character sheet.

My first laser printer was a Post Script printer (having played with Apple Laserwriters in grad school and playing with Post Script some. The problem with Texas Instruments MicroLaser that I got was the drum was a separate FRU from the toner and it was expensive. My drum started having problems and I was able to coax it along, but it required constant cleaning. Eventually I think the problem was that the printer wasn't supported by Windows XP. It was nice with the large paper capacity, but it just wasn't working out. My flatbed scanner had also given up the ghost. So we invested in the Canon MF 4100 and it's been serving us well, though for a time, my Windows 8.1 laptop didn't like it so I actually had to print via my wife's laptop. But now it seems happy on my Windows 10 laptop. Since we moved, I haven't used the fax capability (no phone line in my office) but the scanner and photocopier aspects are nice. Plus it does 2-sided printing.

The biggest thing I miss from work is 11x17 printing... I used to make 4 page character sheets and print them on 11x17 and then fold them in half. Instant character folder and very roomy character sheet.
11x17 is an underappreciated paper size.

This is the main reason I'm considering the Xerox is for A3 but colour A3 lasers are hellish expensive. Off and on I've considered a refurbished LJ5550 or similar, which can be had for a few hundred quid off ebay, but a set of toner cartridges is something like £500 and the colour ones don't last anywhere near as long as an old-school B&W laser. An A4 MFP is much, much cheaper.

I had one too many little events where I discovered inkjets had gunked up at 1AM when I wanted to print something after it had been idle for a while. For all its faults the M475 starts and runs reliably when you want to print something and doesn't have a print head to clog up.

So, it was warm enough today--and I had enough spare time--that I was able to go out for coffee with my wife and sit in a small park next to the coffee shop. Because of COVID, we still don't dare drink our coffee inside the cafe.

We had been making similar trips through the summer and fall of last year, but when winter weather set in it became unappealing. Sipping your coffee outside when it's in the 30s (or below freezing) with a stiff wind, snow, or sleet is for younger and tougher people than me.

I don't usually talk much about my family stuff but my son's in the hospital in an un-responsive state today. He was a bit off last night and I took him to emergency because he was really wobbly on his feet and disoriented. They've gone through seizure responses and are going to drill a hole to check for infections. I don't know if he'll be coming home this time.

I don't usually talk much about my family stuff but my son's in the hospital in an un-responsive state today. He was a bit off last night and I took him to emergency because he was really wobbly on his feet and disoriented. They've gone through seizure responses and are going to drill a hole to check for infections. I don't know if he'll be coming home this time.
Praying for divine intervention.

Dude that sucks. I can't imagine what it would be like to see one of my kids go through something like that. I mean, I have had to with my dad, but that is totally different you know, I expect him to go before me.

My boss apologized that I got my bonus before he was able to have my compensation discussion. I'm thinking, "Damn, dude- do it like this all the time! Don't apologize!" Those conversations always wig me the f out. You're sitting there, trying to nod along like you're interested, when all you're thinking is "Get the F to the number, already!"

My boss before him, he understood. He'd just give me a number and a rating, and ask, "Do we need to discuss? You know how I feel from the number and rating right?". "I'd just say, where's the button I click to acknowledge that we've talked?"

My deepest condolences, I really hope things turn out OK

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back