Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Thanks again, everyone. I did take today off to rest, and I was able to pick up the rental car my insurance company arranged. Thus far I'm really happy with how my insurance company is handling things. My body is still pretty sore, but I'm basically okay.

Thanks again, everyone. I did take today off to rest, and I was able to pick up the rental car my insurance company arranged. Thus far I'm really happy with how my insurance company is handling things. My body is still pretty sore, but I'm basically okay.
Any word from the authorities on the investigation?

Oh you came during summer! Yeah that's what fools people into moving to the PNW.
I think it was the spring, actually. I don't totally remember it was so long ago.

I think it was the spring, actually. I don't totally remember it was so long ago.
Late Spring can be nice too. Long days and often sunny but not too hot. I think Seattle has about the perfect day length in late spring early summer. Sun from around 6am to 9-10pm. You can he done with work and still have a usable evening.

I had a big project finally launch. I worked 16 hour days all through the last week and most of the week before. Now that it is launched the project is more in a maintenance mode. Just responding to people and making sure it is working well (it is thankfully)... so like, I still have a full workload but it feels so light in comparison.

I realize I've forgotten what to do with spare time again.

I had a big project finally launch. I worked 16 hour days all through the last week and most of the week before. Now that it is launched the project is more in a maintenance mode. Just responding to people and making sure it is working well (it is thankfully)... so like, I still have a full workload but it feels so light in comparison.

I realize I've forgotten what to do with spare time again.

Congratulations. It is very easy to get caught up in a routine and then kind of flail when it ends.

I always just have sad depression naps when I'm out of sorts and they 100% do not help, yet I cannot stop.

I just realized the tee shirt I'm wearing is of legal drinking age....

I used to get very attached to T-shirts. I wore one into my late twenties from High School times. I am much more ruthless about swapping things out these days. If I haven't worn it for 6 months I force myself to just donate it somewhere. It hurts so bad. :clown:

Congratulations. It is very easy to get caught up in a routine and then kind of flail when it ends.

I always just have sad depression naps when I'm out of sorts and they 100% do not help, yet I cannot stop.

I used to get very attached to T-shirts. I wore one into my late twenties from High School times. I am much more ruthless about swapping things out these days. If I haven't worn it for 6 months I force myself to just donate it somewhere. It hurts so bad. :clown:
This particular old tee shirt has lived a long good life. It started as a one I wore weekly or so. It probably had a few years in there somewhere where it went to storage. Returned to regular duty until it it faded. Now it continues to serve as a light pajama shirt. Soft and thin it makes sleeping in warm temps just right. It's long past the days it can see outdoor use but it's still got a bit more to give.

I call it the Giving Tee.

Me and my wife got our first Pfizer shot last Tuesday! I barely have any side effects. My wife's arm is rather sore and she experienced some reduced taste for a short while. But overall we're feeling fine. Second shots will be July 27th.

Me and my wife got our first Pfizer shot last Tuesday! I barely have any side effects. My wife's arm is rather sore and she experienced some reduced taste for a short while. But overall we're feeling fine. Second shots will be July 27th.
I had a mild fever for about two hours with the first one and nothing with the second. Congratulations on getting it done.

Slight fevers and sore arms are pretty common for many vaccines. :thumbsup:

Had to take my son to get some oral surgery done this morning (his mouth is apparently too small, not enough room for all his teeth and it was causing extreme pain). He's back home and fine. but boy is he a bit goofy still from the anesthesia. It's kind of funny.

But man, I forget how tiring doing stuff like that is. It only took a few hours to do that and then go pick up his prescriptions, but just being out of the house that long, especially after getting used to never having to go anywhere, and especially cause I'm already kind of a recluse anyway. Those 3 hours just wiped me out energy wise.

Will be glad to have him pain free again though once it heals up :smile:.

You are videotaping this so you can embarrass him later, right?
We actually had the discussion on the way home where we both decided this was mean.

There were some great quotes though:

"I want a glass of milk"
"Well first you have 2 hours of switching the gauze every 45 minutes, then you can have a glass of milk"
"The world is cruuueeell..."

The way he said the world is cruel was just hilarious.

I mean, I still have my moments of being kind of a jerk dad because my sense of humor can't stand not to. When my son was like, 10 he came in the house crying. I reacted as dead serious as I could "What happened?" "I ran into a tree" "OH MY GOD... is the tree ok?"

The funny part was that he got so confused he stopped crying.

I mean, I still have my moments of being kind of a jerk dad because my sense of humor can't stand not to. When my son was like, 10 he came in the house crying. I reacted as dead serious as I could "What happened?" "I ran into a tree" "OH MY GOD... is the tree ok?"

That sounds totally legit. I usually ask if something hurts and follow up with "Well should I cut it off so it stops hurting?". They usually stop crying and either get annoyed at me or laugh. Either way the crying is done so problem solved as far as I'm concerned.

I figure I helped give them life and fed them society can figure out what to do now.

Oh you came during summer! Yeah that's what fools people into moving to the PNW.
That was my first adult introduction to the PNW. But when I came in March to look for apartments before moving out here in 2002, I noted that although it rained pretty much every day, I also observed sun just about every day. Of course now I know that there are plenty of days you never see the sun... But I also remember the day I was driving out of downtown Portland on US26 in a drizzle, driving up that canyon after exiting the tunnel and thinking how beautiful it was to be driving through that on the way home after church. Yea, my friends back East who had lived in the PNW warned me about SAD, but me, nope, doesn't bother me. Rainy days are excuses to play D&D or Lego... :-)

That sounds totally legit. I usually ask if something hurts and follow up with "Well should I cut it off so it stops hurting?". They usually stop crying and either get annoyed at me or laugh. Either way the crying is done so problem solved as far as I'm concerned.

I figure I helped give them life and fed them society can figure out what to do now.
Yea, if responses like this stop the crying, you know they're OK. If they're still crying after that, well then you get serious about checking out what might be wrong.

Yea, if responses like this stop the crying, you know they're OK. If they're still crying after that, well then you get serious about checking out what might be wrong.
Yup!

My wife and I got our second shots on Monday, and the boy gets his second shot tomorrow. So that will be our whole house done.

I got AZ for the first shot, and I had a fever and felt like shit the whole of the following day. My second shot was Moderna, and the reaction was similar but not nearly as strong.

Same story for my wife.

I’m hoping the boy doesn’t have a bad reaction to shot #2, as his first one wasn’t too bad.

On an entirely unrelated note, I’ve got Storn Cook working on the cover of my new novel, and he sent over the first thumbnail yesterday. It looks great, and I’m really looking forward to the end result. I was really happy with the cover he did for my last book, so once this is done we’re going to discuss having him do new covers for my first three novels (which don’t have good artwork on them).

It's good that you remained serious at first. I clearly remember coming home from school crying because we had just been told a classmate of us died. My mother's first response was to ask if I was crying because it was snowing.... I must've been what , 10 years old maybe. Seriously, this hopefully unintended lack of empathy still baffles me to this day.

Mind you, she did console me after finding out what was the actual reason, but still... *eye roll*

Last edited:
One time it turned out that I had a broken leg. Boy was Mum's face red!

We had another Tornado Warning here today, second one inside of a week. Although tornadoes are relatively common in the Midwest, they're quite rare here in Chicago, to the point where one time a few years ago, when the tornado sirens went off, some of my colleagues didn't know what they were.

Anyway, this Warning had good timing: I needed to go to the basement anyway to do my laundry. Warning's over now & the bad weather seems to have passed, so I guess all is well.

I decided to take a break and paint a model I bought last year. This resulted in me getting paint all over my clothes, as the paint I used had decided to liquify, rather than solidify, since I last used it. After cleaning up from that mess I managed to knock the model’s box over, sending parts everywhere.

After that I switched over to a model I started building about a decade ago, but was put to the side when I got a new job. I’ve been working on it on and off all hear, but I’ve had all sorts of problems with it, from pieces cast in the wrong size to arms seemingly refusing to glue on. Today I’m diwn to painting two badges, only to realize they aten’t engraved beyond the edges, and I’d have to freehand everything.

i’m calling it done.

I managed to order and pay for an item off eBay without ever taking my phone out of my pocket.

So I need to better secure my PayPal account, phone lock and probably other things.

Hope I can get the order cancelled

I managed to order and pay for an item off eBay without ever taking my phone out of my pocket.

So I need to better secure my PayPal account, phone lock and probably other things.

Hope I can get the order cancelled
I’ve had two, maybe three instances in the last six years where I’ve opened my phone and found the E-Bay app open, to an item and it waiting for me to press the “Buy It Now” button. I wish you luck in getting it cancelled.

I have a really healthy distrust of mobile technologies for anything to do with money, or really any critical application. Once I had my banking app lock me out of my account for about 3 weeks. In the end I got the bank to send me an authentication key.

I think the combination of unreliable communication links and shitty 'application grade' development practices in place of what used to be 'carrier grade' practices in telecommunications make mobile apps a real crapshoot for critical applications.

Five nines my arse. Sometimes I have to reboot my phone just to make a phone call or receive an SMS message.

I have a really healthy distrust of mobile technologies for anything to do with money, or really any critical application. Once I had my banking app lock me out of my account for about 3 weeks. In the end I got the bank to send me an authentication key.

I think the combination of unreliable communication links and shitty 'application grade' development practices in place of what used to be 'carrier grade' practices in telecommunications make mobile apps a real crapshoot for critical applications.

Five nines my arse. Sometimes I have to reboot my phone just to make a phone call or receive an SMS message.
I find my financial apps to be the best apps I have. Bar none. They work. This I suspect is a case of where I made my life easier with PayPal by making it a one click process and a very poor locking mechanism with my phone interacting to someone having to do work to help me. That's the part if feel bad about. eBay seller thought they had a legit sale and I made them do work to refund me. Not happy about that.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back