Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
So I've been a casual follower of the Chris Chan saga for almost 10 years. Never active at any of the troll forums or anything, but watching the ongoing Youtube documentaries and commentators.

I always thought it would end in tragedy, but I never expected this horror. I've been kinda reeling since the news dropped on Friday. I think years from now this will mark the end of the Golden Age of the Internet.
Let me guess...paedophile?

@Mankcam, I hope your week is going better now.

To get a bit rantish--is it just me, or is it the case that 'there's no such thing as bad weather, just wrong clothing' is a mantra of colder and wetter climates? You can always dress warmer and drier, but if it's 115 F (46 C), no clothing is going to help. Or am I wrong and is there an Arabic proverb that translates 'There's no such thing as too much heat, just the wrong burnoose' or something like that?

Also, no farmer ever coined that saying. They know there is such a thing as bad weather.
The Arabs have the right of it. If you’re in the desert, dress like an Arab (or an Apache, if you have the melanin for it.)

Technically, any sandal without an ankle strap is a flip-flop. There’s toe-loops, thongs, etc, but the single strap as far as I know doesn’t have a specific term. The Aussies and Kiwis have different names possibly.
This is correct. For some historical reasons they came to be known as Thongs in Australia, and came to be known as Jandals ("Japanese Sandals") in New Zealand after a popular brand produced by a local plastics firm called Skjellerup - which also made a variety of other products including above-ground swimming pools.

On a more cheerful note, I've just found out that another of my colleagues is a frigging narcissist. This one was very tricky to find out because she's a genuine two-face, playing the victim card and sucking up to people just a easily as bad-mouthing and defaming them, bullying and bossing everybody around, and acting entitled.

But I'm on to her now: time to go grey rock and try to nudge people to report verbal abuse and other inappropriate behaviour, because there's plenty of it and it's extremely overt. Luckily she's not staff and she's also extremely dumb. Also, the staff don't usually buy into her snitching and bad-mouthing but it would really benefit the working atmosphere if they would more clearly and strongly disapprove of it. An Official Warning would help a lot, so here's hoping for an Official Complaint from someone.

Last edited:
Unfortunately one can't wear such things into the office,
Why? Are there specific rules prohibiting them in a handbook distributed to all employees? Not just "you probably shouldn't dot that" passive aggressive bullshit? Just kind of curious/musing out loud so to speak.

Why? Are there specific rules prohibiting them in a handbook distributed to all employees? Not just "you probably shouldn't dot that" passive aggressive bullshit? Just kind of curious/musing out loud so to speak.

In The City folks will look sideways at you if you take your shoes off and get up from your desk to walk around without putting them back on. Lloyd's still has a dress code in The Room. Within living memory the LSE had a dress code that required a hat and black shoes while it still had a physical trading floor. I've worked in places that required you to wear a tie on a couple of occasions.

The stereotype of bowler hats and pinstripe suits is thankfully consigned to the past. Having said this, I have owned a pinstripe suit in the past - used to joke about going native - although I mainly bought it because it was big enough to fit me and on special.

Last edited:
My friend is in the running for a contest that could net her the money she needs to go back to school and get a degree. I'd appreciate anyone willing to help by giving her a free vote (you don't have to donate anything)

When my brother is released from the hospital, he's going to be transitioning to hospice care. As long as I can arrange it with work (which shouldn't be a problem), I'm heading back to Seattle on Wednesday to see him while I can.

We already lost our oldest brother (foster brother, but fuck labels, he was our brother) a decade or so ago. I'm not looking forward to having zero living brothers.

When my brother is released from the hospital, he's going to be transitioning to hospice care. As long as I can arrange it with work (which shouldn't be a problem), I'm heading back to Seattle on Wednesday to see him while I can.

We already lost our oldest brother (foster brother, but fuck labels, he was our brother) a decade or so ago. I'm not looking forward to having zero living brothers.
Weather is looking wonky next week so plan for temps between 75 or 95 degrees with a higher probability of the mid to upper 80s/low 90s.

Wish you were coming under better circumstances.

Weather is looking wonky next week so plan for temps between 75 or 95 degrees with a higher probability of the mid to upper 80s/low 90s.

Wish you were coming under better circumstances.

I am packing a wide variety of clothing.

And thanks, me, too.

I’m so sorry E-Rocker. Must be rough to lose siblings. Saying a prayer for you and yours.

I just buy packets of 7 pairs of identical black socks from M&S (unfortunately they aren't in NZ IIRC). This means that the concept of a pair gets somewhat notional. I just have a drawer full of more or less identical black socks and throw them out once they start developing holes, occasionally topping the drawer up with another packet.
How do you handle the brown shoe problem? Around here, at least, the unofficial sartorial rule is that brown and black can’t mix in an outfit, so if you have black (or gray) shoes you cannot wear brown (or tan) socks with them, and if you have brown (or tan) shoes you cannot wear black or gray socks with them.

Navy blue socks seem to work with everything, though I know people who claim that blue socks require brown shoes.

My main sock issue is that I need at least three different weights of socks to get through the year. Heavy for the winter (with a few super-heavy backups for those days when it doesn’t top 10 F), mid weight for much of the year, and then very lightweight for days in the 90s F. Oh, and other socks for mowing the lawn or doing yard work.

How do you handle the brown shoe problem? Around here, at least, the unofficial sartorial rule is that brown and black can’t mix in an outfit, so if you have black (or gray) shoes you cannot wear brown (or tan) socks with them, and if you have brown (or tan) shoes you cannot wear black or gray socks with them.
I don't have any brown shoes. At the moment I don't have any black shoes either. The insole in my last pair of work shoes gave up the ghost shortly after the lockdowns began and I haven't needed to go into the office since. At some point I'll get another pair of work shoes.
Navy blue socks seem to work with everything, though I know people who claim that blue socks require brown shoes.

My main sock issue is that I need at least three different weights of socks to get through the year. Heavy for the winter (with a few super-heavy backups for those days when it doesn’t top 10 F), mid weight for much of the year, and then very lightweight for days in the 90s F. Oh, and other socks for mowing the lawn or doing yard work.
I used to have some merino wool socks which were warm but not terribly robust and left a film of black fluff on the carpet that always made it look a bit grubby. It took a rug doctor at the end of the tenancy to get that out of the carpet. London doesn't get super cold very often, so I don't normally need thick socks; I can use slippers around the house if I get cold feet. It might be different if I lived somewhere like Canada where you need proper cold weather clothing.

My friend who's a sailor finally managed to get a covid vaccine. All sailors are entitled to a shot of Janssen whenever they call at Port Rotterdam, but he hadn´t been anywhere near Rotterdam since he left. He got a shot of Janssen in New Orleans a few days ago.

back home now. All y'all dads that have daughters who have not left the house yet. I'll warn ya now - you are going to be a fucking wreck. Just accept it. Stupid ass niece was with us just over a year and some days I saw her 3 minutes total, but I am a goddamn mess. All coffee and sarcasm and she fit like a glove. I commented near a year ago how she made things right just by being there, even when she was not really present.

yes, i've told her. I think she might not understand it quite, but that's ok. As long as she knows she's loved.

My friend who's a sailor finally managed to get a covid vaccine. All sailors are entitled to a shot of Janssen whenever they call at Port Rotterdam, but he hadn´t been anywhere near Rotterdam since he left. He got a shot of Janssen in New Orleans a few days ago.
Hope he gets the hell out of there asap.

Renovations on the new apartment coming along. Marble countertops and new tiles for the kitchen. Pulled up three layers of carpet to find beautiful wood flooring, done in the art deco style of the rest of the architecture. - what kinda weirdo carpets over this?

View attachment 33629View attachment 33630View attachment 33631View attachment 33632View attachment 33633

View from the balcony...

View attachment 33634
Damn, that is one nice looking crib. Congratulations! How’s the neighborhood?
Some random asshole tried to mug me downtown Ottawa. What a fucking lark. About ten seconds in he realized he'd made a significant mistake. I gave him the first hit, just to make sure he was serious, and then I opened up the piñata, so to speak, until some very nice people told me to stop. Good times, licking blood out of my teeth and all, haven't enjoyed myself that unrestrainedly in a while. The story I told my wife about why I was home late was, um, lets say moderated. Love you guys.
I tend not to fight back because I never know whether the perp is armed and/or has accomplices close by. No matter how good a fighter you are, an assailant with a knife and the element of surprise will ruin your day (to put it mildly). But I’m glad it tuned out well for you.

I am so very sorry to hear that.

I am thrilled to meet a kindred soul at last. Yes! Brown and black do not mix! What are people thinking!

I bypass the Navy blue sock problem by not owning any. When they are new you might pass them off as black, but after a few washings the gig is up. All my socks are white (for tennis and/or moccasins only), brown or black.

Not a lot of temperature amplitude in the tropics. So no need for multiple sock weights.

My personal dress code goes something like this:

Work dress: black shoes, socks and belt, with black or gray pants. Brown shoes, socks and belt, with brown or tan pants. Mix and match dress shirts to taste. Tie and sports coat (or sweater) — used to hate the combo but tried it and it’s really grown on me.

Casual dress: jeans, white socks, sneakers with black belt, or moccasins with brown belt. T-shirt or polo depending on occasion. This is what I’d don to run a game or grab a beer at a brewpub.

Really casual dress: shorts, t-shirt, flip-flops. This is Rio, everyone does it. I’ve worn those to a fancy restaurant and was not denied service — but even for Rio that’s pushing your luck. But it’s great atire for grocery shopping or having a beer at the low-key watering hole close to home.

Formal dress: black suit, white or light blue shirt, black belt, socks and shoes, tie to taste. I hate owning a pink tie but when you work with breast cancer, come October you’ll have to don it at some point.

Damn, that is one nice looking crib. Congratulations! How’s the neighborhood?

It's a new part of the city I've never lived in before. But I'm like three blocks from the beach, and there's a pretty big street for retail/restaurants close by, and it's maybe a 15 minute walk to downtown, so I'm optimistic. My plan is to not move again for as long as humanly possible, lol.

My friend is in the running for a contest that could net her the money she needs to go back to school and get a degree. I'd appreciate anyone willing to help by giving her a free vote (you don't have to donate anything)

I would have loved to have voted- but Facebook required :sad: That's more than any donation would be.

I would have loved to have voted- but Facebook required :sad: That's more than any donation would be.

It's cool, whomever did vote, she's managed to first place at the moment. I hope she wins, she's had a hard life and this would be a big step to getting her out of tending bar and into a career

Ah, the joys of adulting. Specifically, of having to pay for four new tires for the car. Whee.
I once operated on a kindly old gentleman whose son worked at a tire repair shop, not far from where I live, and have been going there for my tire needs for years now.

And my patient’s son impressed upon the following pearl of wisdom: gas is expensive, tires are cheap.

And indeed if you divide cost over how far each lasts you… no contest.

(May not apply in the US where gas is subsidized out the wazoo. Your prices are crazy low. Here it’s about a dollar a liter.)

(May not apply in the US where gas is subsidized out the wazoo. Your prices are crazy low. Here it’s about a dollar a liter.)
That's not that different. Last time I bought gas, it was ~$0.81 a liter. In California, it's apparently $1.16 a liter. It varies a lot by distances from refineries and state level of taxes.

I once operated on a kindly old gentleman whose son worked at a tire repair shop, not far from where I live, and have been going there for my tire needs for years now.

And my patient’s son impressed upon the following pearl of wisdom: gas is expensive, tires are cheap.

Also may be different if your car has no spare tire room and you have to buy runflat tires. Those things are pricey and last only a couple years in my experience.

I've heard a similar statement regarding boats.
"Repairs and maintenance are expensive, fuel is cheap."

I'm not up on the local covid situation, but I think they're staying on board most of the time at the moment.
I believe that's where the state said all hospitals are full

I tossed her 10 votes. It’s a good cause.
Actually, you're right looking at it- that's a good way around the FB req, and it is a good cause, though the 75% conversion reminds me a lot of the way Humble Bundle has been shifting the dial on their contribs.

Also may be different if your car has no spare tire room and you have to buy runflat tires. Those things are pricey and last only a couple years in my experience.
My ex was a bit of a petrol head and at one point we briefly considered getting a Jaguar XF. So we went to the dealer and took a look at one - and to be fair it was actually a nice car. If I had some job that involved long commutes up and down the M4 it would have just been the dog's bollocks. However, I decided not to buy it for several reasons:
  • First and foremost, I didn't actually have a spare £40,000 to spend on a car - and I still don't. This was the major reason, although various lease and HP options were available that made it look a lot more affordable than it actually was.
  • We already had a perfectly good car. In fact, I still have it and it's still reliable.
  • There was no spare tire. The XF is quite a big car. Jaguar's solution to this is to offer a service where you call them and they send a little man out to change your tire. I can't even begin to contemplate the failure modes for this, but I'm soooo not buying a car with nowhere to put a spare tire, let alone spending 40 grand on one. I'm more of the 'good walk, spoiled' school when it comes to golf so I don't care how many sets of golf clubs fit in the boot.
  • There was one jacked up on a ramp and the rear suspension of those things is the most amazing Heath-Robinson contraption, presumably some sort of anti-roll mechanism. If anything went wrong with that it would cost a fortune to repair - in fact pretty much anything costs a fortune to repair.
And that, gentlebeings, is a description of the 20 minutes or so in my life where I almost let someone persuade me to buy a luxury car. Oh, my first world problems.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back