Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Does this theory include TB comparing other fast food chains to 1984-style fascism?

Sometimes breakfast makes me feel like that too, but the only fascist clown I have to blame is myself.

I already get up before 6 AM for work, so lingering over food in the mornings is out if I want to enjoy those last few precious moments of sleep when the bed is more comfortable than the womb itself.

"Run for the border" became a euphemism for going to the restroom for quite a while. Probably not the Bell's best marketing campaign, but for all the jokes, I don't think it reduced patronage either. You know what you're getting with the Bell.
My first job was at a Taco Bell. I used to go in high every day. Sometimes I'd amuse myself by trying to convince the occasional customer that Bob Dylan had eaten at that location once (he hadn't).

I resigned from my job last week. It was the inevitable result of a large combination of things that had been marinating over the past couple months. The straw that broke the camel's back was finding out that a particularly abusive coworker was scheduled with me more often, followed by her berating me for not cooking a meal "her way".
It really sucks, I liked a lot of my coworkers and had a decent relationship with the residents, but everyone in my social circle was telling me to get out of that job.
Fortunately my teacher at school has been desperately looking for someone to fill a work-study dishwasher position after class gets out and I qualify. I'm probably going to pick up a second part-time job to keep the bank account in the black.

We got this new evaluation system at my work, called Dialog. It keeps nagging you every month with a message in your mailbox that says: "how are your goals coming along?" So far, I've just deleted the messages unopened. Wtf kind of "goals" do they want me to set? I just do my job as I always have and if there's something wrong I expect to be told what and then if possible will try to improve on that. I don't have the kind of job you set goals in. Also, I'd prefer not to get nagged about my goals all the time. It feels pushy and like they´re invading my private space.

I am waiting at least until we get some kind of explanation or instruction on how this is supposed to work before I ever consider opening one of those messages.

We got this new evaluation system at my work, called Dialog. It keeps nagging you every month with a message in your mailbox that says: "how are your goals coming along?" So far, I've just deleted the messages unopened. Wtf kind of "goals" do they want me to set? I just do my job as I always have and if there's something wrong I expect to be told what and then if possible will try to improve on that. I don't have the kind of job you set goals in. Also, I'd prefer not to get nagged about my goals all the time. It feels pushy and like they´re invading my private space.

I am waiting at least until we get some kind of explanation or instruction on how this is supposed to work before I ever consider opening one of those messages.

Automated personal development programmes. Welcome to the 21st century.

3rik: Mhnnglnnn….
Mr Coffee: Top of the day to you, too, master. The usual?
3rik: Hnnhnglnnwn.
Mr Coffee: Coming up in a minute, master. It's 22C outside already, going up to 36 around lunchtime. I recommend the floral pattern. Oh, and wellies, it's totally pissing out there.
3rik: Mnah.
Mr Coffee: Here you are, master, and… erm… you know I know that Mr Radar from that nice Mr Asshole three doors down?
3rik: Mhe?
Mr Coffee: Most curious happenstance, master, he knows a program named Dialog; shared a firmware back then.
3rik: Hnneh??
Mr Coffee: Well, this is embarrassing, but he tells me she's very sad, and very cross with you.
3rik: [spits coffee]
Mr Coffee: Apparently she wrote you numerous emails, and you haven't answered a single one of them. Of course I told him that master is a gentleman and would never let a girl program down, would he?
All home appliances: WOULD HE?
3rik: [coughs] No! No, no! Never! Must be her spam filter! I'll write her right away!

3rik: Mhnnglnnn….
Mr Coffee: Top of the day to you, too, master. The usual?
3rik: Hnnhnglnnwn.
Mr Coffee: Coming up in a minute, master. It's 22C outside already, going up to 36 around lunchtime. I recommend the floral pattern. Oh, and wellies, it's totally pissing out there.
3rik: Mnah.
Mr Coffee: Here you are, master, and… erm… you know I know that Mr Radar from that nice Mr Asshole three doors down?
3rik: Mhe?
Mr Coffee: Most curious happenstance, master, he knows a program named Dialog; shared a firmware back then.
3rik: Hnneh??
Mr Coffee: Well, this is embarrassing, but he tells me she's very sad, and very cross with you.
3rik: [spits coffee]
Mr Coffee: Apparently she wrote you numerous emails, and you haven't answered a single one of them. Of course I told him that master is a gentleman and would never let a girl program down, would he?
All home appliances: WOULD HE?
3rik: [coughs] No! No, no! Never! Must be her spam filter! I'll write her right away!

This made me think of this recent Ars Technica I had read.

I love tech, but a lot of these internet of things crap coming out in recent years are a big fuck no for me.

Lofgeornost Lofgeornost I still want to know how the three #$@%! sea shells work!

Here's a suggestion tech support. When someone asks you a where to log in question telling them the login Id and password over and over stating you've verified it works won't actually answer the question no matter how many times you tell me. Where is a location question. Give me the f$--$&#(_+?!_ location dammit!

Well, my wife is back, having been away for 4 months.

On the upside, I have someone to talk to, watch films with and so on.

On the downside, I can no longer do what I want, but that is a small price to pay.

She is quarantining. Friday was spent travelling to and from the airport, and to and from Oxford to return and pick up a different suitcase. Saturday was spent recovering from Friday, dropping off a Covid-19 test and generally unpacking. Sunday was spent being largely bored. Today was spent largely being bored, as well. I have booked the whole week off work, so that I could run errands and be with her through her quarantine. Hopefully, she will be released on Thursday, so that we can actually go somewhere together and do normal things.

Automated personal development programmes. Welcome to the 21st century.
Yeah, there's like 5 topics or subjects you have to rate yourself on... Then twice a year they'll probably tell you you got your ratings all wrong?

Last edited:
I don't need any of that. The use for an Alexa eludes me. That shit just makes me sad.
I can say it is handy to ask it to play music and do timers and spell things and look up info when you're hands are busy.

My dad out of his five month coma where he thought he was in a fantasy world called New Zealand. He's decided that 83 is a good age to retire. Well after one last job.....
I keep telling you it's not a fantasy world. It just looks like one because we're descended from gaffers and carpenters who were left behind on one of the bigger Lord of the Rings sets.

I keep telling you it's not a fantasy world. It just looks like one because we're descended from gaffers and carpenters who were left behind on one of the bigger Lord of the Rings sets.
I dunno - if it was real I'm sure it would be on the maps. The interwebs told me they sometimes put fake islands on the maps so they can tell when somebody's copied their design.
It must be true! I saw it on TV and the interwebs!

Our first in person D and D session ever. The group started online during the panny. Three of the players don't have dice and were fascinated by them. Eric couldn't make it so we did a zoom live hybrid to get him at the table.

20211003_211527.jpg

20211003_205711.jpg

And so another round of my favourite activity on my computer - playing the 'why doesn't it work now?' game.

Today it's Whatsapp. It worked a couple of hours ago. I have no idea why it won't start now.

And so another round of my favourite activity on my computer - playing the 'why doesn't it work now?' game.

Today it's Whatsapp. It worked a couple of hours ago. I have no idea why it won't start now.
Hate that game. Horrible UI and crap instructions. After playing I feel like winning just gets me back to where I'm started minus hours played.

Hate that game. Horrible UI and crap instructions. After playing I feel like winning just gets me back to where I'm started minus hours played.

I've been working with windows on a paid basis for about 20 years or so now, and it's getting worse, if anything. One of the things I like about Linux (or Unix, for that matter) is that CL user interfaces basically do what they're told without side-effects from accidentally fat fingering some poorly documented hot key that does something you didn't need. Smart phone UIs are even worse - built with ergonomics scaled for an Asian teenager, and are too small and too sensitive. Plus, there are a wide variety of gestures that you can't undo without dropping everything and hunting through layers of menus to try and figure out what the setting you just toggled was.

To paraphrase Linus -

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Brexit in a nutshell: I went to look for some Panama Jack boots online as I used to wear them a lot and they would fit. I have big feet, so shoes that do fit are not always easy to obtain here.

It turns out that due to logistics issues related to Brexit, the manufacturer (domiciled in Spain) isn't shipping to the UK at the moment, so I did a search around on Ebay and found a set of Size 13 black ones from a vendor selling through there.

Brexit in a nutshell: I went to look for some Panama Jack boots online as I used to wear them a lot and they would fit. I have big feet, so shoes that do fit are not always easy to obtain here.

It turns out that due to logistics issues related to Brexit, the manufacturer (domiciled in Spain) isn't shipping to the UK at the moment, so I did a search around on Ebay and found a set of Size 13 black ones from a vendor selling through there.
Is that the work around these days? The secondary market?

I've been working with windows on a paid basis for about 20 years or so now, and it's getting worse, if anything. One of the things I like about Linux (or Unix, for that matter) is that CL user interfaces basically do what they're told without side-effects from accidentally fat fingering some poorly documented hot key that does something you didn't need. Smart phone UIs are even worse - built with ergonomics scaled for an Asian teenager, and are too small and too sensitive. Plus, there are a wide variety of gestures that you can't undo without dropping everything and hunting through layers of menus to try and figure out what the setting you just toggled was.

To paraphrase Linus -

giphy.gif
Except things like crontab -e (edit your scheduled jobs) vs crontab -r (remove the list of scheduled jobs) and fat fingering that one.

did a number of bad things like this over the years :smile:

Except things like crontab -e (edit your scheduled jobs) vs crontab -r (remove the list of scheduled jobs) and fat fingering that one.

Don't feel so bad. I think my career highlight was installing a data warehouse over the top of somebody's ERP system.
Everybody has a test environment. Some folks are lucky enough to have a separate one for production.

Last edited:
Up until last week the established plan for me returning to the office was “Ralph, you’ll keep your equipment we gave you to WFH at your home, and you’ll have a desk at the office with its own computer and other gear you need. You’ll work in the office three days a week, but the other two days you can WFH or go in as you wish.” We had nearly a year of meetings and e-mails where this was repeated over and over again.

Last week it became “Ralph, bring all your gear back to the office, where you’ll be working five days of week.” That was bad enough, but I had two people individually try to gaslight me this was always the plan, despite all prior communications to the contrary.

As of right now I’m the only person working in a section designed for a hundred, with zero to two people showing up each day in the other departments on my floor.

Up until last week the established plan for me returning to the office was “Ralph, you’ll keep your equipment we gave you to WFH at your home, and you’ll have a desk at the office with its own computer and other gear you need. You’ll work in the office three days a week, but the other two days you can WFH or go in as you wish.” We had nearly a year of meetings and e-mails where this was repeated over and over again.

Last week it became “Ralph, bring all your gear back to the office, where you’ll be working five days of week.” That was bad enough, but I had two people individually try to gaslight me this was always the plan, despite all prior communications to the contrary.

As of right now I’m the only person working in a section designed for a hundred, with zero to two people showing up each day in the other departments on my floor.
Man that management doesn't seem to be in the real world. Does it desperately desire a massive personnel change? Because that's what I would expect.

Gaslight them back. Keep working from home 5 days a week. Every time they ask you to come in, agree (but never refer to the fact that you have not come in like they asked you). Repeat.

Years of dealing with government clients has convinced me this is the way to do things. Agree with everyone, then do your own thing.

Bunch Bunch A fair number of management would wet themselves with glee over the idea of people leaving, having a pipe dream of outsourcing work overseas. A number of contracts we have expressly prohibit that, but they have a mindset that remaining workers on the continent can work themselves to death to make up the difference in workforce composition.

Vile Traveller Vile I’m actually just doing my job and waiting for them to realize the issues that now exist due to me being at the office full time.

I left out a where clause in a db statement. You can guess the damage done. Now I right a where clause first and the action second.

I left out a where clause in a db statement. You can guess the damage done. Now I right a where clause first and the action second.
one of the first sysadmin errors i did was rm -rf on a directory of 20G of mp3s in the late 90s. I felt sick... physically I cannot eat sick... for 2 days.

nowadays I take my flaming laser sword to a terabyte with cursory scanning

one of the first sysadmin errors i did was rm -rf on a directory of 20G of mp3s in the late 90s. I felt sick... physically I cannot eat sick... for 2 days.

nowadays I take my flaming laser sword to a terabyte with cursory scanning
I deleted the production database because this was 1995 and proper development environments were rare. My desktop PC had an addressable internet address because every PC in the office had a publicly addressable IP address because reasons. I mean looking back at it is crazy how poorly setup and protected that office was.

i remember those days! everything was publicly addressable!

I put an infinite loop in my MUD code one time and spun the server to 100% CPU

I used net send to message my name and number to everyone on a subnet. I was looking for a set of PCs to upgrade which had been moved by the users, soI had a great idea to write a batch file to send the message to every missing computer name. Realised with horror that I hadn't populated the list before testing.

I turned my phone off for the rest of the day and the network admin disabled net send.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back