Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Baulderstone

Reaction score
I’d stand to benefit. Lifting weights is okay but cardio I find a bit boring.

TIL there are jacarandas in Australia.
As someone from Sydney, my reaction to his post was, "Oh, yeah. Agemegos Agemegos lives in Australia."

I've always assumed they were Australian, so TIL learned they come from Butcherland.

Lofgeornost

Vulpine once more!
Reaction score
Jacarandas are a pretty common imported tree in the Phoenix, AZ area too, IIRC.

This weekend I took a trip down memory lane—I spent some time browsing through the Labyrinth Books holiday catalog, which arrived in paper form through the post. Labyrinth is a retailer of remaindered books, mainly from university presses. Their headquarters is in the Princeton area, but I think their warehouse (or one of them, anyway) is actually not too far from where I live in NE Ohio.

So why is this a trip down memory lane? I used to buy a lot of books this way—out of paper catalogs of markdowns, either from specialty companies like Labyrinth or more general retailers like Barnes & Noble. In fact, I’d guess that a good portion of my nonfiction collection was acquired this way. Back in the 1990s and early 2000s, I would eagerly page through catalogs when they arrived, looking for interesting bargains.

Eventually, Amazon and other online book sites more or less took over as my main route to purchase books. I still buy things at local bookstores, especially second-hand ones, but I think this was the first book catalog I’d received in paper format in a long time. Even publishers send them out in e-format nowadays.

I realized that I miss the experience of paging through the catalog, happening on books I’d never heard but which look intriguing. It’s the same thrill of discovery you can experience in a good bookstore, but that I seldom experience online. There I can find just about anything, but I have to search for it—and I don’t find much by serendipity.

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Reaction score
Three real estate agents have called in today to ask whether I know anyone in the area who wants to sell or let their house. It's getting so a bloke can't mop his floors in peace.
I hear you. I get offers in the mail regularly. I'd consider it but are kids are just settling in to school and I've battled the schools enough to get their needs that I don't feel like I can leave the school boundaries. I haven't seen a home last a week here.

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Reaction score
Work has lost some midwives recently. Their manager was in here today and jokingly asked if I could fill in. Equally joking, I told her I have no medical training but I'm pretty good at getting the last of the toothpaste out of the tube so I'm willing to give it a try.

I don't think she'll ask again.

Moracai

Legendary Member
Reaction score
In recent times (and I do apologize beforehand if this touches upon the "no politics" rules of the forum), I've come used to a lot of talking heads on national news blatantly lying. But this one took the cake so far... A person was telling that ALL the intensive care patient beds are taken, expect perhaps one. Well yesterday they supposedly had all the beds taken.

Two quick web searches (from government websites nonetheless) later, I noticed that the ERs here are operating at roughly 10% capacity. Also I have several friends in that industry and in different cities.

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Reaction score
In recent times (and I do apologize beforehand if this touches upon the "no politics" rules of the forum), I've come used to a lot of talking heads on national news blatantly lying. But this one took the cake so far... A person was telling that ALL the intensive care patient beds are taken, expect perhaps one. Well yesterday they supposedly had all the beds taken.

Two quick web searches (from government websites nonetheless) later, I noticed that the ERs here are operating at roughly 10% capacity. Also I have several friends in that industry and in different cities.
Wonder if this is one of those cases where the number currently in use is compared to a number minus recent additions. Here we have vaccination rates calculated based on previous census numbers and were in a high growth area so it's not that hard to get over 100%.

Ralph Dula

Fighter of Fungi, Mortal Foe of 5E, Possibly a Cat
Reaction score

I’m reminded of the time I was watching the BBC and they were interviewing someone who only spoke Chinese, and per the translator the woman was outraged and full of vitriol.

If you understood Chinese she was pretty much saying “It is what it is.”

E-Rocker

Not a goose
Reaction score
Apparently there is a Christmas tree shortage in Illinois. I just use an artificial tree, anyway, because I'm allergic to real ones. So... shrug.

Dyrnwyn

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Apparently there is a Christmas tree shortage in Illinois. I just use an artificial tree, anyway, because I'm allergic to real ones. So... shrug.

IMO, real Christmas trees are too much hassle anyways. My apartment building doesn't even allow them (or real garlands/wreaths either) for fire safety reasons.

Stan

Legendary Member
Reaction score
IMO, real Christmas trees are too much hassle anyways. My apartment building doesn't even allow them (or real garlands/wreaths either) for fire safety reasons.
Yea, they get needles everywhere.

I remember one year when I was a kid we didn't rid of our tree until like end of January. We used hedge snippers to cut off branches and throw them in the lit fireplace. Each branch gave a satisfying WOOSH of explosion as all it's needles burned up in a few seconds.

It now makes me worry when we have a real tree about constantly checking on how dry it's getting as a whole tree going woosh in the living room could be a problem.

Acmegamer

Legendary Member
Reaction score
We moved to an artificial tree around 20 years ago and never looked back. Much easier to deal with, less hassle, less clean up etc.

Hugh

disMember
Reaction score

I agree there is lots of lying going, but I am sitting in an ICU with literally 1 empty bed out of 28. Three days ago the ICU 3 patients over capacity opening a 3rd ICU.

During this time the ER was both insanely busy and very quiet. ER numbers don't necessarily indicate ICU bed occupancy.

In general all ICUs are pretty busy this time of year. Operating rooms are open again, flu is here, and there are lingering covid patients.

This does keep the newstainment industry from painting dramatic issues for views.

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com