Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
This year is trying to kill me. Stubbed my toe badly on my mom's wheelchair. Later slipped and fell on nothing, hitting my wrist again. Stubbed my toe on bed (same toe, definitely broken now.) It's about right on schedule though seems to be every 7-8 years I have a year from heck. Thought it was last year. Doesn't look like it's letting up. I haven't fought so hard against depression to let death win, but sheesh.

This year is trying to kill me. Stubbed my toe badly on my mom's wheelchair. Later slipped and fell on nothing, hitting my wrist again. Stubbed my toe on bed (same toe, definitely broken now.) It's about right on schedule though seems to be every 7-8 years I have a year from heck. Thought it was last year. Doesn't look like it's letting up. I haven't fought so hard against depression to let death win, but sheesh.
Hope you feel better quick Silverlion and I hope your toe isn’t broke!

Of course narcissists get drawn to healthcare, and to Medicine in particular, like flies to honey. The perception of power over life and death, as well as higher earnings and respect, appeal to them.

Nevertheless, I feel the majority of “bad” doctors are not intrinsically pathological personalities, just regular people that have been poorly equipped by life to deal with the harrowing emotional complexity of having humans at their physical and mental lowest look at them for solutions, and/or the many external stressors plaguing healthcare providers today.
I didn't mean to imply they're the majority, just the ones that may turn out especially irresponsive to sensitivity training.

I didn't mean to imply they're the majority, just the ones that may turn out especially irresponsive to sensitivity training.
Didn’t mean to imply you implied it either! Just an offhand observation. Life screws people up despite their best intentions sometimes.

And the core idea behind sensitivity training — that empathy is a learnable skill — is one I feel carries merit (I certainly learned quite a bit, and feel I’m still learning), even if implementation sometimes falters.

You might need to look in Messenger in the Message Requests section if you have your security settings set so randoms can't talk to you.

In true Facebook style, I can’t see anything in Messenger sent from non-friends earlier tgan two weeks ago, but it is now showing me a message from someone that wrote me 12 weeks ago about hooking him up with surplus 90s CCG boxes that showed up in Ollies.

Guess once Corona-chan stops visiting my family I’ll have to write him and see about sending him the box I have left at cost.

There's an extremely frustrating comic book store in suburban Chicagoland. Extremely frustrating because, despite the complete lack of organization, he has some really good stuff, but he has really weird hours, like 5pm to 7 pm on Tuesday or something, weird shit like that, and he's not even reliably open the hours that he's supposedly open. So today, my friend and I were trying to go out there. Fortunately there are a few other comic stores in the area that we hit up, because we called this guy after 2 pm and got voicemail, even though he supposedly opens @ 1 pm on Saturday. Sometime after 5 pm, the dude called my buddy back & said he never opens until 3 pm on Saturdays. Dude, if you never open until 3 pm on Saturdays, why does your own website and the sign on your own shop's door say that you open @ 1pm?

I would find all that forgivable, if annoying, but he told my buddy that "we should know" that he never opens until 3. How the fuck should we know that?? My buddy has now sworn to never go back there. The store has enough good stuff that I'll still stop by in the unlikely event that I happen to be in the neighborhood, but I'm never going to go out of my way to go there again.

There's an extremely frustrating comic book store in suburban Chicagoland. Extremely frustrating because, despite the complete lack of organization, he has some really good stuff, but he has really weird hours, like 5pm to 7 pm on Tuesday or something, weird shit like that, and he's not even reliably open the hours that he's supposedly open. So today, my friend and I were trying to go out there. Fortunately there are a few other comic stores in the area that we hit up, because we called this guy after 2 pm and got voicemail, even though he supposedly opens @ 1 pm on Saturday. Sometime after 5 pm, the dude called my buddy back & said he never opens until 3 pm on Saturdays. Dude, if you never open until 3 pm on Saturdays, why does your own website and the sign on your own shop's door say that you open @ 1pm?

I would find all that forgivable, if annoying, but he told my buddy that "we should know" that he never opens until 3. How the fuck should we know that?? My buddy has now sworn to never go back there. The store has enough good stuff that I'll still stop by in the unlikely event that I happen to be in the neighborhood, but I'm never going to go out of my way to go there again.

Back in the 80s we had two game stores in my small town. One of them had an owner who thought it was cute to have hours with such things as “Closes at 5:16PM” and “Opens at 9:17AM.” As you can guess, he both freely admitted he was being “non-conformist” and never was there at the times listed.

There's an extremely frustrating comic book store in suburban Chicagoland. Extremely frustrating because, despite the complete lack of organization, he has some really good stuff, but he has really weird hours, like 5pm to 7 pm on Tuesday or something, weird shit like that, and he's not even reliably open the hours that he's supposedly open
You just described my local GW ever since it got downgraded from a battle bunker to a tiny store staffed by single person who keeps banker's hours. I will stop by 3-4 times a year and it is always closed- except for one time when they were only letting 5 people in at time due to Covid. I have no idea how it manages to stay open.

Last edited:
There's also a record store in Chicago, or at least there used to be, whose posted hours are something like "Wednesday through Sunday 1-5 or when I feel like it." Of course the day that I was by there with money to burn, it was a day he didn't feel like being open.

Facebook must have sensed I was speaking ill of it. I signed on and found it was recommending someone to me as a friend I blocked years ago, the culmination of my learning the hard way never to work with your heroes.

And the core idea behind sensitivity training — that empathy is a learnable skill — is one I feel carries merit (I certainly learned quite a bit, and feel I’m still learning), even if implementation sometimes falters.
Narcissists are tragically damaged personalities with a constant need to devalue others. Apparently they know how to act empathically or can learn to do so, but they have to want to, to see a reason to do so. Superior professional reputation would certainly a valid reason for them.

I did some minor damage to a rotator cuff over the Christmas period. At least, it was minor until I tripped on the stairs at work and had to catch myself with the same arm. And then I slipped cleaning the shower tiles and again had to catch myself with that arm. It's upgraded to 'might have to get some actual help with this'. I've been referred for an ultrasound, which will have to be put off until Spittingwife gets the results of her latest Covid test back.

Getting older is better than the alternative, but some days it's fractional.

I'm now waiting on two negative tests before I can go back to work, Friday at the earliest. I may or may not get paid for being concerned about the welfare of others.:blah:
My sympathies. I’m in a similar boat. I’ve been off since Tuesday because of having been kissed by Corona and having to take care of one of my elderly family members who has it. It’s looking like my direct superiors may not have done the paperwork for my absence as they should have.

I went over their heads yesterday, and am hoping to get an answer by end of day today.

My sympathies. I’m in a similar boat. I’ve been off since Tuesday because of having been kissed by Corona and having to take care of one of my elderly family members who has it. It’s looking like my direct superiors may not have done the paperwork for my absence as they should have.

I went over their heads yesterday, and am hoping to get an answer by end of day today.
I'm felling better, as it seems from an email this morning that my supervisor is finagling this as a special leave. Now I just need two negative tests...

Sadly, with the current market for GPUs this might be the best way to get a PC with modern graphics.
Sadly, I don't have a place to put a pc, so a laptop is easier for me. I'm not looking for anything high end, since most of my games are older anyway

iu

So now we're up to doing 72 hour weeks, with 1 day off. However, my doctor's visit didn't go well. Besides my blood sugar being high, so is my blood pressure (and has been for a bit). He gave me new medication for that, and said if one doesn't improve in the next 2 months or so, he is going to write a note telling my job I can't work this many hours. I'm also going to try and eat a few foods that are good for your blood pressure; I just have to time manage what little free time/sleep time I have better in order to cook more.

The response to me writing about my bosses not doing what they were supposed to for my leave was of the “How dare you speak to me! Go ask your bosses!” variety.

I’m reminded of a meme I saw about a week back that said people want you to use proper channels because they can control the results of proper channels.

Am I the only one that has an, um, issue with this (completely real) ad? Something about the layout...

View attachment 41454

Ok this has all kinds of wrong going on. First of all it looks like the guy is using an angle grinder so proper terminology, but it reminds me of Throw Momma from the train, so I'll give it a pass.

Second the weblink below the picture is for actual nut grinders of the tree and legume type, not metal nuts of the fastener variety so WTELF?

A couple of weeks ago someone I know felt the need fo school me on something, unaware I’ve had daily experience with it for over 20 years.

This morning I found he felt the need to respond to a meme I made, unaware I’m intimately familiar with the topic it’s about due to it involving the field my father worked in my entire life.

He’s a nice guy, but it’s hard not to tell him to get checked for foot-in-mouth disease.

A short while ago, I got a phone call telling me that my background check and drug test had come back fine, so I was given my start date for my new job: this Monday. I'm waiting on the email with the exact details, but I have a new job.

I'm optimistic about this. Other than new job jitters, I'm excited and am thinking this is going to be great. Other than having to drive down the road a bit to attend orientation, I'll get to work from home.

In other good news, I was told my ex-employer sent out the checks from unused vacation time this past Monday. I had already written that amount off, so to actually receive it will be a nice windfall.

Ok this has all kinds of wrong going on. First of all it looks like the guy is using an angle grinder so proper terminology, but it reminds me of Throw Momma from the train, so I'll give it a pass.

Second the weblink below the picture is for actual nut grinders of the tree and legume type, not metal nuts of the fastener variety so WTELF?

Man, that movie is a riot. Been a while since I’ve last seen it.

The allegedly epic snowstorm we were going to have here last night and today is actually just a pretty normal February-in-Chicago snowfall. It didn't even make any of my coworkers call off work! It is delaying delivery of a couple packages I have coming, though.

Hah! That's pretty much my store. I have a day job. It would be lovely if the store would replace it but it won't. Really, not enough people around here want or even understand what I offer. Oh well, I probably should have never started, now I've been there ten years. :grin:

Hah! That's pretty much my store. I have a day job. It would be lovely if the store would replace it but it won't. Really, not enough people around here want or even understand what I offer. Oh well, I probably should have never started, now I've been there ten years. :grin:
You sell garden gnome snow globes that play show tunes when you shake them, don't you?

The allegedly epic snowstorm we were going to have here last night and today is actually just a pretty normal February-in-Chicago snowfall. It didn't even make any of my coworkers call off work! It is delaying delivery of a couple packages I have coming, though.
Well that's good to hear. Fear and speculation over this snowstorm has been pretty disruptive to my job.

To be fair, I have not been following how it may have affected other parts of the country. But it's no big deal here.

To be fair, I have not been following how it may have affected other parts of the country. But it's no big deal here.

According to the national news I live in the DOOM ZONE of 20 inches of snow.

As I type this it’s 43 degrees and all we’ve had is rain, albeit continuously since early in the wee hours. No flooding yet, though some heavy puddling in yards.

Checking the weather report for tomorrow, we’re supposed to both be having snow accumulation and temps in the 40s again.

Yeah…..

I fucking hate plumbing! Well that's not really true. I've just had what feels like endless issues in the last week. Had the trap for the tub freeze of all things. Didn't realize it was frozen went through all kinds of shenanigans trying to get it unclogged. That didnt work because it was frozen not clogged. Called a plumber, that turned to a shit show. I had to end up thawing it myself. They did come back and fixed what they messed up. Totally redeeming himself. Then today the hot water for the tub/shower, the toilet, and hot and cold in the kitchen froze. Broke down and bought a propane salamander heater. I've had to barrow one here and there, so it was an investment I should have made a long time ago. Worked really good. Everything unfroze accept the hot water line for the shower. I attached a plug in heat tape to the water line. Didnt do anything. Turned the heat in the house up to 75 and the line magically unfroze. So we are now in the standard operating range.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back