Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
You could have felt young, I don't know who they are am I am old, well nearly 60.
I mean, if you are nearly 60, Wu-Tang Clan was a big thing when you were only in your early 30s. That is more you being out of touch with popular music at a fairly young age :tongue:. Their '93 album Enter the Wu-Tang is often rated as one of the greatest hip hop albums of all time.

I mean, if you are nearly 60, Wu-Tang Clan was a big thing when you were only in your early 30s. That is more you being out of touch with popular music at a fairly young age :tongue:. Their '93 album Enter the Wu-Tang is often rated as one of the greatest hip hop albums of all time.
93. No internet. Radio stations only. Pretty easy to miss something like that back then.. especially if you weren't into rap music at all. Different time.

I have heard of (and probably heard some music of) Wu-Tang Clan because in the 90s I was an advisor to my church's youth program.

And yea, otherwise I would not have heard them because I rap is just not my thing. And I think 1993 or so is when I started getting into CDs and installed a CD changer in my van and stopped listening to the radio much at all.

I do have some odd ducks in my CD collection thanks to a CD store that had their used CDs in shelves above the CD players you could sample CDs on... I would sit for an hour or more perusing the used CDs and skimming them on the player. On the other hand, after I got engaged I thinned out my CD collection and dumped a lot of that stuff since I actually wasn't listening to it much.

93. No internet. Radio stations only. Pretty easy to miss something like that back then.. especially if you weren't into rap music at all. Different time.
Was Wu-Tang more of an East Coast thing? It's weird but I want to say that the N.W.A–Ice Cube rivalry sticks more in my mind than Wu-Tang.

Was Wu-Tang more of an East Coast thing? It's weird but I want to say that the N.W.A–Ice Cube rivalry sticks more in my mind than Wu-Tang.
I definitely recall N.W.A. and Ice Cube rivalry on the west coast. I wasn't into rap at all back then but I had friends who were. No clue about most of the Least Coast rappers.

Wu-Tang's RZA did the soundtrack for Ghost Dog.

hqdefault.jpg

So I started my job this week. I'm working 2 different places. I trained at one last week, then the other one earlier this week. Did my first regular week at one site yesterday and today. Those re my long days (2 12 hour shifts) and tomorrow and Sunday I have 8 hour shifts. I work by myself, and both sites are undergoing renovations, so both buildings are not fully occupied. I'm still trying to adapt to getting up around 3:30 in the morning to get ready for work, as transit is a pain early in the morning (and my shifts all start at 6 am). With the transit issues I end up getting to work early, because the next option would get me there late. Once I get acclimated to this schedule being opposite of what I used to do, I should be ok

The first site is really nice, but we have no fridge or microwave, so I'm limited in what I can eat (and it's kind of a upper middle class area, so local places to eat are pricey). The second site is downtown near Pioneer Square, so again, pricey with local places. It does have a fridge and microwave though. It's right off the train by me, so that one is easier to get home after work.

Today was Canal Pride in Utrecht, for the first time since before Covid. We don't attend such events as we're averse to large crowds and lots of chaotic noise, but it's good to see people enjoying themselves on the impressions posted to YouTube. Each boat represents an organisation. For example, at 1:11 is the police.

The Amsterdam Pride, which I believe takes place in August, is much bigger but also more crowded. It seems Utrecht offers a somewhat more small scale, relaxed event. Still way too crowded for our taste, though.

Last edited:
Was in a mood yesterday, then my cousin’s husband texts me. He tells me his daughter is sick and my cousin has to skip a concert so she can stay at home with the daughter. Would I like to take her ticket? I offer to stay with the daughter but there is push back so I go to concert. Concert is not my type of music, but I still had a good time, as I just like concerts. I got free booze, food, didn’t have to drive, and free tickets. Stayed at cousin’s after and got a nice breakfast. Also cousin’s other daughter was mad that mom stayed home as she wanted to spend time with me (no doubt taking Tesla rides and having soda and pizza).

It was a good time

Incoming holiday this week, and when I return I have to 1) deal with a tragic anniversary, 2) deal with the guys who installed my boiler (which created issues with pipes) and 3) sit down to ask myself some hard questions about my RPG habits:shade:!

Incoming holiday this week, and when I return I have to 1) deal with a tragic anniversary, 2) deal with the guys who installed my boiler (which created issues with pipes) and 3) sit down to ask myself some hard questions about my RPG habits:shade:!
#3 is hard. I mean how many ways can you possibly lean in harder to the hobby? It's just so hard to pick one direction to focus you time, energy and money.

#3 is hard. I mean how many ways can you possibly lean in harder to the hobby? It's just so hard to pick one direction to focus you time, energy and money.
Yeah, that's very true:grin:! Though I only have three directions right now - historical and closely adjacent mostly realistic gaming, modern and near-future mostly realistic, and superpowered gaming...:shade:
Which totally saves me time! If I could save more time, maybe I could even get to writing my own thing?

Also, the questions are pertaining more to "should I just drop the whole thing", but I promise the Pub-goers should be among the first to learn the answer to that!

Fun day at work. Show up early, and go to get the key to get inside from the lockbox. Key is not there. Call a co-worker who has a copy of said key, but no answer (given it's 5:30 in the morning, why would they?). Text my boss to let him know what's up. I don't hear from my boss until about 8 am, and he tells me to keep trying my co-worker. I end up stuck outside for 3 hours (almost half my shift). Needless to say, I have a key so that won't happen again. Good thing the day was pretty quiet.

My wife died yesterday after 18 months of a lung condition (not COVID). We had been together for 37 years. She had not initially been into gaming, thinking it a waste of time, but thanks to her sons enthusiasm for it (my stepson) she started boardgaming 20 years ago, and roleplaying back in 2008 (yes 4e D&D & T&T were her gateways).

She was my life, my support, my companion. I am trying to take things one step at a time, and browsing here helps distract, but my heart aches with the pain.

Sorry to bring the mood down.

My wife died yesterday after 18 months of a lung condition (not COVID). We had been together for 37 years. She had not initially been into gaming, thinking it a waste of time, but thanks to her sons enthusiasm for it (my stepson) she started boardgaming 20 years ago, and roleplaying back in 2008 (yes 4e D&D & T&T were her gateways).

She was my life, my support, my companion. I am trying to take things one step at a time, and browsing here helps distract, but my heart aches with the pain.

I don't know what to say. Sorry for the worlds loss.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
My thoughts and prayers are with you

Sorrows for your loss, that's hearbreaking. Prayers for you and yours (or whatever you accept.) I can only imagine that kind of time with someone It makes my heart ache for you and your family--deeply.

Zanshin, I am so sorry for your loss. I can’t even imagine what that would be like. May I pray for you and your family?

Thank you all for your kind words and expressions of feeling. My family and friends (& Sue's friends) have rallied round, and I have had so many expressions of love and support. I really appreciate your kindness and support - though we have not met in person, it is our shared humanity that gives hope in the darkest times.

My stepson took me to see Top Gun today - he is grieving as well of course - and it was just the kind of thing we needed to get us through, some aerial stunts and reheated 80's cheese.

I am keeping busy and focusing on the funeral. I am crying when I need to. When I woke up at 4am today I went through our digital photos to comb them for ones with Sue in for the rolling display, and it brought back so may memories of our shared happiness.

Sorry for your loss. Condolences to you and your family.

Just wanted to say I met with my regular gaming group yesterday and it was a wonderful evening.

I also want to say that I would like other people to post in this thread about their stuff - it is reading about other peoples experiences/fun and wit that helps me through the day (for which Dank Memes has been a particular blessing).

Don't let my stuff prevent you posting about your stuff, please.

It was a gaming weekend, thanks to Her Majesty (god bless ya, Liz!). June 6 is when we celebrate her birthday by taking a day off work. My weekend group was scheduled to have a game, but the GM completely forgot because he's a Pokemon Go enthusiast in the same sense that I am a mammal. Spittingwife managed to arrange boardgames on two consecutive nights, which gave me near-unlimited Minecraft time, so it all worked out.

Sunday night she hosted a group she hadn't met before and made the bold claim that you can't order olives on pizza without knowing if people like that, but it's okay to order pineapple. This led to four of us sitting around the table and three of us awkwardly picking pineapple off pizza. I was quietly smug about being right, but since I informed her that I was quietly smug, she still knows about it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back