Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
You know Hawaiian pizza works. The sweetness of the pineapple works great with the ham. Just sayin'

I don't like to mix sweet and savoury. And IMO pineapple doesn't belong anywhere except Carmen Miranda's hat, in a fruit salad, or as the residence of an anthropomorphic sea sponge.

But you can put what you like on your pizza. The problem is the pineapple stans are pretty much the only ones who'll inflict their bad taste on other pizza enjoyers as though slimeapple is the Only True Way. I never see the anchovy anoraks, or the caper fans, or the weird Australians who crack a whole egg on their pizza so it's sunny side up, order this stuff for other people without asking first.

The next pizza I order is going to be pineapple with black olives, extra anchovies, hold the truth, and extra PAIN!
Extra pain? So, like jalapenos or ghost peppers? :grin:

Zanshin, I'm so sorry for your loss.

As for me, I'm recovering from getting a pacemaker put in. In mid-May I had what I thought was a fainting spell at my graveyard shift job, but it progressed to shortness of breath after doing bed checks (I work in a shelter for kids in the system). The next day I went to the ER and was told I had a stage-3 heart block and needed immediate surgery for a pacemaker. Everything went smoothly, except for my blood pressure meds, which needed some fine-tuning to bring my BP down to decent levels to bring me home. The effects were immediately evident - lots more energy and I've had only a tiny amount of caffeine since. Prior to that, I was drinking 4-5 cups of black coffee five nights a week during my shift and maybe 2-3 a day on my days off. The only caffeine I've had since all this went down was 2 diet Cokes when my wife and I went out for pizza (no pineapple, though my wife loves Hawaiian pizza) last week.

Currently, I'm on the last three weeks of my FMLA leave and looking for a new job. Prior to all this, I had read an article about research on a correlation between dementia and the graveyard shift. I made the decision that this job wasn't worth an early death as a shambling, faded wraith of myself, but couldn't seem to gain traction in the job hunt. So, life gave me a solid GTFO card. I have an interview with the public library for a part time assistant's job on Monday. I'm also gunning for a job as a library assistant at the local community college. Hopefully that will come through as I need the benefits.

Meanwhile, I signed up to be a Free Agent for Free League Publishing and I'm slowly but steadily prepping to run demos of The One Ring and Vaesen at PretzCon 2022 here in July. It'll be my first in-person convention since the pandemic hit, and although I'm vaxxed and boosted, I'm a little nervous. In-store demos are a hell of a stepper here as some don't have their gaming spaces opened back up and those that do are inundated with D&D Adventurers' League and Pathfinder Society events.

I don't like to mix sweet and savoury. fun.
Fixed that for you.

or the weird Australians who crack a whole egg on their pizza so it's sunny side up, order this stuff for other people without asking first.
Not gonna lie I've never heard of that but would totally try it. Also screw all those people who order a group meal without considering the group.

the weird Australians who crack a whole egg on their pizza so it's sunny side up
When I used to work in an Australian pizza joint (which was before American chains invaded the Australian pizza market) we used to beat the eggs for "Australian" pizza (and any others the customers might order with egg on them). We also used tasty cheddar cheese.

So, just a notion for the anti-pizza-pineapple crowd (of which I'm a member). Scattering crushed pineapple lightly across a pizza results in a very different, and to my mind superior, pizza experience compared to the standard niblit deployment. You can even drain it first so it doesn't get shit soggy.

Last edited:
Hawaiian pizza has been one of my family's go-to foods for as long as I can remember, and I'm 44. I find it hilarious how it's somehow become super-contentious in the past few years. I like to add slices of jalapeno to it.
I have been led to believe a lot of poor bastards get a weird mouth feel or burning when they eat pineapple so maybe that's it? I seriously don't understand the hatred. I find most people to be extremely conservative, unimaginative, and banal when it comes to food

I worked at dominos back when we had to wear the Noid costume on the side of the road and wave a sign with the deals. After having bottles thrown at me I quit. Drivers can be real asshats.
That's a wonderful story. Heartwarming really. :pizza:

Dominos is the pizza parlor of my childhood.
Before I was in the army, we had some really good local run pizza places. My favorite a place called Happy Days. It had my favorite video game (Gyruss), which I'd play for hours sometimes. Sadly, that whole area is now mostly Korean stores and eateries, and some of them didn't like white people coming inside. Some had no signs in English, even though it's actually illegal to do so. On the other hand, there was a great Korean fried chicken place, and the people who ran it were really nice people. Way better than KFC or Popeyes.

Dominos was the place my parents always ordered from. My personal pizza hangout was a place called Double Double Pizza (or something like that) that was run by a Korean family. They have my everlasting thanks for introducing me to Sriracha for the first time, way before it was a thing that everyone knew about. They made a bacon and olive slice that was heaven.

You have my heartfelt condolences, Zanshin.

In spite of your pain, and though our loved ones never stay with us long enough, it is heartwarming to know that you and your wife lived side by side for 37 years.

Take care.

Papa Murphy's was our pizza chain of choice growing up, mostly because it took minimum an hour to get to any pizza restaurants. Spokane has all the typical chain pizza restaurants but they're sub par compared to the local chains.

Put me in the non-pineapple pizza brigade, it's not because I hate it as some do, but because it doesn't fit with my concept of pizza.

Also a thin crust preference. So pretty much a pizza 'purist'.

Before I was in the army, we had some really good local run pizza places. My favorite a place called Happy Days. It had my favorite video game (Gyruss), which I'd play for hours sometimes. Sadly, that whole area is now mostly Korean stores and eateries, and some of them didn't like white people coming inside. Some had no signs in English, even though it's actually illegal to do so. On the other hand, there was a great Korean fried chicken place, and the people who ran it were really nice people. Way better than KFC or Popeyes.
Wierd. Is this in the US? Because oddly enough the US has no official language so I don't think the federal government can force anyone to speak or read a specific language. Even in a workplace I think it's limited to how much you can force the use of English.

I have been led to believe a lot of poor bastards get a weird mouth feel or burning when they eat pineapple so maybe that's it?
Pineapple contains a protease called bromelain which is used as a meat tenderizer, so yes, it is dissolving your mouth as you eat it:smile:. Well, not really...

I don't mind pineapple on pizza but my wife despises it, so I've not had it in, well, decades I'd guess.

That's a wonderful story. Heartwarming really. :pizza:
I mean I liked the pizza and driving but when they put me out there to do that job I decided it wasn't worth it. Looking back my bosses were guys who were maybe 25 years old. They hardly new anything and were doing what the could but they just didn't have the life experience to manage people really well. Any hey they were managing a pizza chain so it's not like it wasnt the right place to learn those kind of skills.
My first day there was the last day of a gal running the phones. She must have been pissed the managers because she was giving away free pizzas left and right for delays delivery(back when it was free after like 20 or 30 minutes from the time the order was placed.). No one told me how to keep track of that so day one I got a warning that I was going to be operating from a knowledge/management deficit and that never changed.
They wouldn't make crew pizza at all so I had friends place bogus orders half way through my shift. That was nice. Paid milage and a pizza!

A local pizza chain has a Oriental Chicken pizza with cashews, pineapple, teriyaki chicken, white garlic sauce and Cream cheese.
Before COVID, I used to visit Kalamazoo, MI about every year for a conference. A local pizza/pasta place, Erbelli's, specialized in daring offerings, though looking at their online menu they seem to have lost some of the more unusual ones, like a Reuben calzone with sauerkraut and corned beef (which was quite good). One of their staples is the N.E.O. (New Erbelli Order) pizza:

Alfredo & pesto sauce, Italian marinated chicken breast, cheese filled tortellini shells, sun-dried tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, feta cheese & bacon to top it off.
Putting the tortellini on the pizza actually works well, though I was dubious before I tried it.

Kalamazoo is also the home of Bilbo's, a pizzeria dating back to the late 1960s-early 1970s Tolkien boom. It was originally located right off the campus of Western Michigan University, but moved to a bigger place a decade or so ago. It still uses Tolkien-inspired names for some of the sandwiches and pizza's (e.g. 'the choice of Master Sam').

Notice how everyone says "Morning" these days and not "Good morning"? Just a simple statement of fact. "It is in the ante-meridian. It is morning." Is a good morning counter to expectations in 2022? Or is it more like, it was a good morning and then I arrived?

I'll have to ponder that a bit.

Wierd. Is this in the US? Because oddly enough the US has no official language so I don't think the federal government can force anyone to speak or read a specific language. Even in a workplace I think it's limited to how much you can force the use of English.
In Atlanta there is a whole area where most of the shop signs are all in Korean outside. Some great food in that area.

My wife died yesterday after 18 months of a lung condition (not COVID). We had been together for 37 years. She had not initially been into gaming, thinking it a waste of time, but thanks to her sons enthusiasm for it (my stepson) she started boardgaming 20 years ago, and roleplaying back in 2008 (yes 4e D&D & T&T were her gateways).

She was my life, my support, my companion. I am trying to take things one step at a time, and browsing here helps distract, but my heart aches with the pain.

Sorry to bring the mood down.
I am so very sorry for your loss. I wish you strength and peace.

You know Hawaiian pizza works. The sweetness of the pineapple works great with the ham. Just sayin'

jim-carrey-truth.gif

In Atlanta there is a whole area where most of the shop signs are all in Korean outside. Some great food in that area.
Where I grew up has a sizable and growing Korean community. As a kid I never saw signs just in Korean and now when I visit a whole shopping area seems dominated by them.

Notice how everyone says "Morning" these days and not "Good morning"? Just a simple statement of fact. "It is in the ante-meridian. It is morning." Is a good morning counter to expectations in 2022? Or is it more like, it was a good morning and then I arrived?

I'll have to ponder that a bit.
It could be creeping Midwesterness--we like to cut out initial elements in speech. "Going to the store now" rather than "I'm going to the store now" or "Starting to rain" rather than "It's starting to rain."

On the other hand, it could be the result of one-too-many retorts of 'what's so good about it?'--which I've heard a fair amount any more.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back