Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
i will also note that there are other diseases than COVID too :smile:

Yeah, I thought I might have COVID last week but it turned out I just had the flu.
Our kids keep getting regular bugs that are much worse than the Covid they have had. Covid was a non event for them fortunately.

I foolishly thought I could continue gaming and posting here a bit even after football started. I've been coaching football for the middle school which means I'm busy 6 days a week with practice, games, and coach's meetings. Thought I could still pull some tabletop fun but no chance. I did have a bit of a scare when my 7th grader decided to keep his head down making a block and injured his back. Luckily he only pulled his back muscle quite hard but no tears or issues with the discs. He has gotten better just in time to play over the weekend.

We had our first scrimmage over the weekend and we did rather well. I was a proud O-Line coach! I had to leave before it was over since I had to drive to Athens to move my son in to UGA. It was an exciting weekend. But I got hit for a shock Sunday morning. I learned that one of our coaches suddenly died the night after the scrimmage game. Only some of us could muster together for a coach meeting to figure things out for the team, how we can support his son, and start a MealTrain for his wife.

The entire weekend was exciting and terrible at the same time which makes it all very jarring. I've dealt with death before but to mix it up with great things is way past weird for me.

Oof, I hope you at least had fun in Athens. I love the city and hope your son enjoys it here, too.

We did. I told my son to make a list of things he discovers he needs after he's moved in and settled. We're using that as an excuse to visit next Sunday for a drop off and check out more of Athens! If my son is smart, he'll come with us for a free meal because otherwise I'm ditching him. Don't want to be an overbearing parent and all that ;)

Yeah, Calvin and Hobbs every collection was worthwhile. Garfield was funny but after 2 or 3 Garfield books, it was kind of meh, why bother.

I haven't revisited them but as a kid I distinctly remember finding the early Garfield strips, which were more odd in their art style and sometimes had arcs that continued over a few strips, much better than the later strips.

We did. I told my son to make a list of things he discovers he needs after he's moved in and settled. We're using that as an excuse to visit next Sunday for a drop off and check out more of Athens! If my son is smart, he'll come with us for a free meal because otherwise I'm ditching him. Don't want to be an overbearing parent and all that ;)
Hit me up if you need any restaurant recommendations. Athens has a crazy good food scene for being the size it is.

If I recall, Garfield is the comic where it is an open secret that the original artist stopped doing them decades ago and they are done by ghost writers. That would account for the drop in quality.

On Thursday my wife and I teamed up with three friends to have a drink and a pub meal then see The Hu in concert. It was a good show all round.

Later two of the people we spent time with that evening came down with covid. My wife and I seem to have escaped it, but she caught something like a bad flu instead. I'm following precautions and praying to Papa Nurgle to stay away.

I play keyboards in a local 5-piece band, and we got together to practice on Thursday night in preparation for a public concert we were going to do this coming Saturday. Planned to livestream it on Facebook and everything. However, one of our band members didn’t realize he had Covid, and the rest of us (all except the drummer, who was at a cottage) caught it.

I’m vaxxed and triple-boosted, but my last boost was in December. My next booster was scheduled for tomorrow (which I’ve now had to cancel). So I’m at my lowest resistance since I got vaxxed, and Covid has seriously kicked my ass. Needless to say, the concert has to be rescheduled, which is a huge fucking disappointment as this was going to be the first gig since I joined the band in late May.

Luckily(?) my wife had Covid only a few months ago and there’s no sign of her getting sick so far. We’re hoping she’s still resistant.

i will also note that there are other diseases than COVID too :smile:
Indeed. Gout is among them. For a reason that I will leave you to guess why gout seems suddenly salient this morning.

On the sunny side, I got a phone call from the hospital this morning, and my latest blood tests show that I am slightly anaemic, with ferritin 22 µg/l and TIBC saturation 36%. I'm not going to have to go in for a blood-letting on Thursday! And I didn't need one last month either! Woohoo!

Indeed. Gout is among them. For a reason that I will leave you to guess why gout seems suddenly salient this morning.

On the sunny side, I got a phone call from the hospital this morning, and my latest blood tests show that I am slightly anaemic, with ferritin 22 µg/l and TIBC saturation 36%. I'm not going to have to go in for a blood-letting on Thursday! And I didn't need one last month either! Woohoo!
Gout is dumb. I hate gout. Stupid disease. I’m extra bitter about it :smile:

Good friend I haven't seen since Jan 2020 was in town with two if his girls. His kids and mine are in very similar mental spaces. They loved our house, location and the fact our home is pretty much a library. We played at the water, went out on the boat to get Ivar's and ate while the kids all went off and read. It was the best day I've had since Covid started.

I've been accepted to all the courses I've applied to for the fall semester. So I will take Mondays off from work to have some extra time to study, however I will go at a 75% pace from a full time student. The first half of the semester will most likely require a lot of work, but I expect the second half to be pretty much a walk in the park.

While that's already most likely being optimistic with my available time, I will also be back in state issued green on a voluntary part-time basis.

I talked earlier this week to my therapist about feeling like I was being a fool for having hope about my marriage. She said that she was concerned about me being self-sabotaging, and I should just take whatever my wife gives as it is, rather than reading into it. But I've been increasingly feeling that the little time we spend is out of obligation rather than something she likes.

She did stop by unexpectedly and we talked. I noted that she seemed happy, and she said she was content with where her life was. I'd also gotten her a card, and she just responded that the statements on it were true. So I asked if this was it. She said later by text that she was actually enjoying this time by herself. That for the first time she feels like she's living life for herself and enjoying it. And that she was struggling to see a way back for us.

It's not a good day. We're supposed to talk more tomorrow, but I just feel like an albatross around her neck and a burden and obligation more than she likes to spend time with me. And I don't want to be that. I don't want to give up, but we have to both not want to give up for it to be worth it in the end, I think. She said she still loves me, but I told her I was still in love with her and wondered if she was- and it being text, she just glossed over that, which doesn't give me a good feeling.

I guess at least at the worst, I'll start losing weight again, as I stopped for lunch, but didn't really feel like eating anything.

Watching him makes me think of my own life and it makes me sad, though I love the concept.

Really sorry for what you are going through. i know it isn’t easy and even with my divorce 6 years behind me, there are still times where it gets frustrating. It isn’t bad to get help (I probably should sometime).

Really sorry for what you are going through. i know it isn’t easy and even with my divorce 6 years behind me, there are still times where it gets frustrating. It isn’t bad to get help (I probably should sometime).
Thanks! I am with my therapist, but it's still hard to deal with the frustration, hope, and sadness all mixing together. And I feel times of happiness, but they're usually bookended by times of sorrow. I simultaneously want it to be over so I can hopefully start to heal, and not want it to be over because I still have hope and I still want it. But the words mean a lot. I don't want to talk about it all the time with people I know as I know it's a lot, so it helps having the folks here.

Thanks! I am with my therapist, but it's still hard to deal with the frustration, hope, and sadness all mixing together. And I feel times of happiness, but they're usually bookended by times of sorrow. I simultaneously want it to be over so I can hopefully start to heal, and not want it to be over because I still have hope and I still want it. But the words mean a lot. I don't want to talk about it all the time with people I know as I know it's a lot, so it helps having the folks here.
Man, I feel you. My divorce was nine years ago, and it still hurts some. Strength good sir! Strength to your heart.

Hey man keep your chin up, we're all rooting for you. Heartbreak is fucking brutal and no amount of physical bravery or guts can prepare a man for it. I am happy to hear you are seeing a therapist and using this opportunity to improve your health. When I think of the way I handled heartbreak back in the day I cringe. During my 20's in the dark days of the late 1990's the only acceptable emotions for men of my social class were rage and lust; therapy was for weaklings and crazy people so the only recourse was anesthetizing with drugs and alcohol until unwanted feelings went away. At one point I did see my campus therapist out of sheer desperation but she tried to sell me on Jesus (!) during session one so I never tried that again.

Hey man keep your chin up, we're all rooting for you. Heartbreak is fucking brutal and no amount of physical bravery or guts can prepare a man for it. I am happy to hear you are seeing a therapist and using this opportunity to improve your health. When I think of the way I handled heartbreak back in the day I cringe. During my 20's in the dark days of the late 1990's the only acceptable emotions for men of my social class were rage and lust; therapy was for weaklings and crazy people so the only recourse was anesthetizing with drugs and alcohol until unwanted feelings went away. At one point I did see my campus therapist out of sheer desperation but she tried to sell me on Jesus (!) during session one so I never tried that again.
Well it turned out better than I thought after some introspection and looking at how I'm handling the situation. I've been trying to push and there's been so many changes in her life that she's not had a chance to deal with her own issues as intensely as I have. Because of that, she's still resorting to the same reactions as in the beginning of this- trying to keep me at a arm's distance. There's also other issues that I didn't know about that she's dealing with. I'm going to take a step back, and we're going to start talking more regularly rather than depending on text for communication. I'm feeling more hopeful again. I just have to exercise patience if I'm really committed to walking this path.

Ugh. I'm a Christian, but counselors shouldn't /ever/ do that. EVER. (It should be against their licenses.) I'm sorry man.
It's cool dude. I don't hate religious people because of it or anything. Now that I am older I realize that in her mind she probably thought she was helping me in the best way she could. I have an uncle who does the same thing.

Well it turned out better than I thought after some introspection and looking at how I'm handling the situation. I've been trying to push and there's been so many changes in her life that she's not had a chance to deal with her own issues as intensely as I have. Because of that, she's still resorting to the same reactions as in the beginning of this- trying to keep me at a arm's distance. There's also other issues that I didn't know about that she's dealing with. I'm going to take a step back, and we're going to start talking more regularly rather than depending on text for communication. I'm feeling more hopeful again. I just have to exercise patience if I'm really committed to walking this path.

Good luck, I hope you are able to work things out.

One of the best things my wife and I have started doing is to set aside one day a week to have some private space to talk. It only took 22 years for us to figure that out... Thankfully we are both stubborn so we stuck it out long enough to figure out that talking is good.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back