Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
If by evangelical you mean "a Protestant who believes converting people to Christianity is vitally important" then yes, they were evangelical.
Basically a pushy and brainwashy type of Protestant and a true pest in certain parts of the world where they're causing more harm than good, especially sometimes cult-like Pentecostal communities. To each their own and certainly not hating on religious or christian people in general! Let's leave it at that.

Last edited:
Today is the one-year anniversary of my brother's death. I'm feeling a lot better today than I expected to. Of course I'm sad that he's gone, and always will be, but I am also having fun remembering things he liked & some of the good times we had. My parents are currently headed out to his grave to clean it up & leave flowers.

By sheer coincidence, it's also Savage Worlds night tonight, which I'm looking forward to.

Monday I have to go pay the retainer to my attorney to fight the ex's appeal of the family court decision that gave me 50/50 visitation with my daughter. She doesn't have any valid reason I shouldn't have 50/50, she just doesn't like the pay cut in child support. My lawyer had quoted 3-6k before, then his assistant mentioned 5k. So honestly not sure how much it will be, but have to pay it or the 15k or so already spent is just wasted. My attorney had said before that the only thing they can argue in family court appeals is that the judge did something wrong in the law. From his side, he said everything was done correctly.

So would appreciate prayers/vibes/whatever for any who are willing. I'm not sure how long this will go on. I'm hoping that the court awards me attorney fees for this appeal, but honestly don't know if it will happen.

Monday I have to go pay the retainer to my attorney to fight the ex's appeal of the family court decision that gave me 50/50 visitation with my daughter. She doesn't have any valid reason I shouldn't have 50/50, she just doesn't like the pay cut in child support. My lawyer had quoted 3-6k before, then his assistant mentioned 5k. So honestly not sure how much it will be, but have to pay it or the 15k or so already spent is just wasted. My attorney had said before that the only thing they can argue in family court appeals is that the judge did something wrong in the law. From his side, he said everything was done correctly.

So would appreciate prayers/vibes/whatever for any who are willing. I'm not sure how long this will go on. I'm hoping that the court awards me attorney fees for this appeal, but honestly don't know if it will happen.
Prayers and vibes my friend!

Bunny and I saw Hadestown today. It was the Orpheus and Eurydice tale re-imagined with an African-American cast in what looked like pre-WW2 New Orleans. Greek myth was my first love so even though I am not a theater or musical dude I was definitely in the target audience but Bunny really liked it as well.

To be clear, I am not being sarcastic: perfect weather in Chicago today!

It's cool & overcast with light-but-steady rain. I got to wear a hoodie! You can take the boy out of Seattle, but you can't take Seattle out of the boy. :smile:
I love hoodies. It's been in the 80s all week here and it's nice. I jumped in the lake twice yesterday and neither time did I get that wave of cold you usually get before you adjust to the temperature. Just cool without cold. Perfect.

Dad's funeral was on the 12th - we gave him a lovely, and loving, send-off.

This was meant to be mum's time - no nurses or carers, just her, the wee dog we got for her 4 years ago, and family around her.

Turns out she's been sitting quietly on a timebomb of medical conditions so that my dad got the attention he needed. She went into hospital with a perforated bowel on Sunday.

Alrhough she survived the operation - unexpectedly - and another one to close her back up, she's not recovering. Heart disease, circulation problems, and toxic shock from the operations. Liver and kidneys damaged, she's having a scan tomorrow to see if she has any higher brain function.

The best outcome is months in hospital with 24/7 care, followed by a care home. We've been warned that we may have to consider palliative care. Also that she as the person we knew may be gone already, and we may have to discuss switching off her life support.

With dad, it felt like a release from his pain. It was expected, and prepared for. With mum, it just feels so shockingly unfair and fast. She deserved a rest and a break.

Her last call to me, before hospital, was to tell me to look after her dog. I guess she needs to go and see dad now.

Also, wife and I both caught Covid, so we can only see mum via a video call.

Please tell your loved ones how much they mean to you, do it today and every today. You won't know the last time you get to say it until afterwards.

E E-Rocker thanks. Sorry I'm just puking it up here, I'm pretty raw right now. Just a sad, shit situation.

The dog is allowed to sleep on the bed now, so she's settled at least. She's going to meet a new brother and sister soon, and we're expecting hijinx!

Today is the one-year anniversary of my brother's death. I'm feeling a lot better today than I expected to. Of course I'm sad that he's gone, and always will be, but I am also having fun remembering things he liked & some of the good times we had. My parents are currently headed out to his grave to clean it up & leave flowers.

By sheer coincidence, it's also Savage Worlds night tonight, which I'm looking forward to.

I just read this, and I'm sad-happy for you. Sounds like you've found peace with his death, and what remains is all the good memories, and gratitude for having him at all.

He'd be damn proud of you.

This was meant to be mum's time - no nurses or carers, just her, the wee dog we got for her 4 years ago, and family around her.

Turns out she's been sitting quietly on a timebomb of medical conditions so that my dad got the attention he needed. She went into hospital with a perforated bowel on Sunday.

Alrhough she survived the operation - unexpectedly - and another one to close her back up, she's not recovering. Heart disease, circulation problems, and toxic shock from the operations. Liver and kidneys damaged, she's having a scan tomorrow to see if she has any higher brain function.

The best outcome is months in hospital with 24/7 care, followed by a care home. We've been warned that we may have to consider palliative care. Also that she as the person we knew may be gone already, and we may have to discuss switching off her life support.

With dad, it felt like a release from his pain. It was expected, and prepared for. With mum, it just feels so shockingly unfair and fast. She deserved a rest and a break.

Her last call to me, before hospital, was to tell me to look after her dog. I guess she needs to go and see dad now.

Please tell your loved ones how much they mean to you, do it today and every today. You won't know the last time you get to say it until afterwards.
Sorrows for you and yours. Much love! We're pretty much all in this world together and people matter.

Atelerix, I am so sorry to hear this!
May I pray for her and your family?

We need that hug emoticon. I hope for the best for your mom and you guys whatever that turns out to be.

chuckdee chuckdee and you're going through so much yourself, you're too kind. I feel words aren't enough to say how grateful I am.

If you ever want to chat about divorce and aftermath, please do. I had a bad couple of years after mine, but my ex is still part of my life through raising our daughter, and we still talk weekly.

It gets better, that dull ache in your chest does go away. I'm remarried - ten years now, together for 16, and we have one of those complicated modern families where there are four different surnames!

Hugs, thoughts and vibes flying your way Imaginos Imaginos . It's a bad time when it goes smoothly, heartwrenching when all you want to do is support your kids through the worst time in their life. The money side just makes it worse. I'm so sorry.

You sound a great dad - from an old fart who's been through it, you need to hear that your daughter knows and will remember that you stayed in her life and fought for her.

So mum is free of major brain damage (stroke, aneurysm) and life support/medication is very slowly being reduced as her body adapts.

She's still unconscious, even without sedation, but was very weak and has several other conditions. She's starting to twitch, but it's still quite uncoordinated.

She will be assessed for brain oxygen starvation as and when she comes round, and she will be denied major intervention if, say, her heart fails - she simply wouldn't survive. Otherwise, no time limit on her support.

Still critical, still not out the woods, and it will be a long, slow path forward. But glimmers of light - we take them as we get them.

Thank you all for listening, and for your kindness. I'm not the sort to share my feelings, so apologies for my outbursts, but yesterday I just had to get some anguish out.

They're having the yearly local "blues" festival at the moment... :thumbsdown: All I hear coming from the market square each year is mediocre blues rock and classic rock covers, no blues whatsoever. I was actually grateful that last year covid prevented it from happening but... "the blues is back in town", as they've printed on this year's t-shirts. Yay... :sick:

It always reminds me of this scene from the film Ghost World, not quite as bad but you get the idea...

Last edited:
My buddy wanted to take a road trip to a comic book store in Libertyville, Illinois today (about 45 minutes north of Chicago). He had to cancel last minute. I decided to go on my own anyway. I was able to fill in some gaps in my Uncanny X-Men (vol. 1) collection, so that was a fun way to spend the daytime. Now I'm spending my Friday night cleaning house, haha, because I have friends coming over tomorrow after work.

So I ended up pulling a double, as there was a miscommunication between my boss and the person who relieves me. They took today off, and the boss didn't schedule someone to replace him. He was also out camping, so he didn't get my text or phone call about it until 3 hours into the other person's shift. After I get off, I have like an hour to kill before any transit is going towards my place. So I'll be getting home after midnight, which sucks as I've been up since 4 Am

The good news I don't have to work tomorrow, as there is no way I'd be able to go home around midnight, probably be up until 1, and then get up 3 hours later. The boss is going to get someone else to work my shift, so I get an extra day off tomorrow. Maybe I'll go see Bullet Train then, and redeem some cans & bottles for some cash.

Well done. I am getting to that place after the loss of my wife, smiling at memories of our happy times.

Oh wow. I am so sorry Atelerix. Sometimes troubles come in their legions. I hope you and your wife weather covid well and that you are able to spend as much time with your mum as possible. I have been through some of what you have experienced and it's very tough. Take your joy where you can and know the pain does ease with time.

Thanks zanshin zanshin. We were given special permission to come into the hospital today. Mum passed in the early evening - no pain or suffering, and surrounded by family. She never regained consciousness and other things were failing - her body was just exhausted.

Relatives got to see her too, and my daughter video-called to say goodbye from Japan. Brave girl.

Really sad, but she's at peace, free of pain and with dad.

Her last words to me were asking that I look after the dog we got her 4 years ago, so the wee one will join our hooligan schnauzers next week. I'm sure she will be howling at the postman in no time.

I like watching real-life NFL football, but I've never had any interest in fantasy football. However, my brother was really into it, and he once tried to start his own league with me & my dad as some of the players, which I declined to join, and I kinda feel bad about that now since my brother passed. So when the bartenders from my local invited me to join their league this year, I said sure. Had our draft tonight. No idea if I did well or not, haha, but it was kinda fun.

So sorry Atelerix. A peaceful passing is something, but you and your family have endured alot. I hope you can have the space to process your loss. My thoughts are with you.

Thanks zanshin zanshin. We were given special permission to come into the hospital today. Mum passed in the early evening - no pain or suffering, and surrounded by family. She never regained consciousness and other things were failing - her body was just exhausted.

Relatives got to see her too, and my daughter video-called to say goodbye from Japan. Brave girl.

Really sad, but she's at peace, free of pain and with dad.

Her last words to me were asking that I look after the dog we got her 4 years ago, so the wee one will join our hooligan schnauzers next week. I'm sure she will be howling at the postman in no time.
Many sorrows and condolences for your loss. Peace and love to you and yours!

My studying for this semester started today, and it will be C# for non-beginners at 50% for the first half if the semester, Java step 1 for the second half, and then a 3D course at a quarter speed throughout the entire semester. Part of the first assignment for the 3D course was to put together scene with spruces and a snowman, all made out of basic shapes. So I made this one.

Vinterscen.png

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back