Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
This probably is my theme song for the summer:
There's a translation error (I suggest you watch the video with CC enabled), at one point she says, according to translated lyrics: "I'm gonna empty my bank account and walk right out the door". Actually she sings: I got 20€ to my name, and I'm gonna make them sing.

Our Air Conditioner has gone out here, in Texas. It's cooler today, because its been raining but it makes it a bit more miserable. Sighs. I'm tired of not being wealthy enough to just throw money at problems and make them go away.

Thanks @zanshin. We were given special permission to come into the hospital today. Mum passed in the early evening - no pain or suffering, and surrounded by family. She never regained consciousness and other things were failing - her body was just exhausted.

Relatives got to see her too, and my daughter video-called to say goodbye from Japan. Brave girl.

Really sad, but she's at peace, free of pain and with dad.

Her last words to me were asking that I look after the dog we got her 4 years ago, so the wee one will join our hooligan schnauzers next week. I'm sure she will be howling at the postman in no time.
I'm sorry for your loss. It's good so many folks got a chance for a last goodbye.

No. Weeps I wish. 5 Ton A/C 12grand+installation. Anyone need a testicle? A kidney?
I'd try getting another estimate.
You might be able to get a home equity lone for that. If that doesn't pan out, some heating/AC installers work with places that provide financing so you pay it off over the next 5-10 years.

No. Weeps I wish. 5 Ton A/C 12grand+installation. Anyone need a testicle? A kidney?
So I have a 5 ton here in Washington where the coil broke. I talked to several AC folks before I finally picked one. Some of the issue for me and may be with you is refrigerant is hella expensive. When I did it parts were often on back order. I did find someone who I felt was more knowledgeable who was able to take a coil from a different manufacturer and swap it in for the factor coil for a substantial discount.
Not sure what all your challenges with the AC have been but I was cursing the heck out of my unit a year ago.
Also if you are getting a new unit you might look into rebates or discounts for a heat pump if it will work in your expected temperatures

About 4 years ago, mine failed as well (on July 31st, natch) and I replaced the entire HVAC system (heating and AC) for $7500 here in southern California. The amount they quoted sure seems high, but could be because of our fucaca supply chain issues. Or, check out the SEER rating...they may have quoted you a model that has a stupidly high SEER rating, which honestly doesn't get you very much in savings. My new one is SEER 14, old one was 8, but they go up around 20, but cost double, triple, and more...

That seems expensive for a 5 Ton A/C. Were they quoting 12k on just the unit itself before install?
Looking into it. It shouldn't run that high, but we've no idea. We're talking to them tomorrow, it may be installed. They mentioned having to rent a crane last time.

I have no idea if this would be an option, but Mini-splits are becoming popular. I've mostly heard of them in my circles for detached work shops, but it is apparently becoming a popular option in homes which are then zoned off. That way they only pay to heat / cool the areas that really need it. I've contemplated getting one for our upstairs bedroom which takes the brunt of the summer sun and is not directly included in the loop for our central HVAC.

Mini-splits fall somewhere in between window units and HVAC. Units run around $1500-2000. Not as efficient as a central HVAC but their ability to focus their attention on specific rooms and be installed piecemeal as budget allows works for some homes.

I've been to Texas several times, not a place I'd like to live without decent AC*. Applies equally to Air Conditioning and Armor Class. :grin:

Talking about heating, the gas and electricity prices in Euroland are out of control.
A colleague who used to pay 220€/month now has a new monthly estimate of 1.500€. Good thing his wife has a job too because on one income...

I just pre-emptively doubled my payments too, to avoid a hefty surprise in January. And I'll go to the office more often, let the boss heat the place and pay the power for my laptop. I might even start eating at the company restaurant so I don't have to cook at home.

And I suppose we're the lucky ones. i know old folks or single parents who don't even have a $1.500 pension.

Last edited:
New A/C is in, it makes a huge, huge difference on this house. I'm pretty sure our other one was limping along because in my room it never got cool, and now it is fantastically so!
Still the price hurts.

That's good news, especially lately. Its was 112 yesterday, 108 today, and will be over 110 all next week here(SoCal desert)

Did you end up going with the company who gave you the original quote?

You know what? Fuck fitted sheets. Fuck they're uncooperative nature. Fuck they're unwillingness to fold into anything but hot goddamn mess. How is it that our society hasn't found a better answer than this?

That's good news, especially lately. Its was 112 yesterday, 108 today, and will be over 110 all next week here(SoCal desert)

Did you end up going with the company who gave you the original quote?
My mom did. I tried to get her to ask questions and lower the price, but I'm not in charge of things. (Despite being ever so slightly more capable on some.) I'm getting worried it may be time to find her nursing help (and I imagine in the next couple of years into a nursing home. Though I'd hate to do it too soon.

It was 97 degrees today and I live like a savage without air conditioning. Perfect excuse to go out for chimaek or Korean fried chicken and beer. Normally I don't go for fried bar food but there is a place near us that is excellent. The meals take a while to arrive and it is kinda expensive but the chicken isn't frozen and the tenders are really tenders and not fingers or nuggets. I was surprised to see attractive women eating there because, as a general rule, pretty young females don't gorge themselves on fried chicken and beer.

Last edited:
Our Air Conditioner has gone out here, in Texas. It's cooler today, because its been raining but it makes it a bit more miserable. Sighs. I'm tired of not being wealthy enough to just throw money at problems and make them go away.

One thing I discovered in Singapore was how effective ceiling fans are even in 35+ celcius weather. Seems more energy efficient than AC too. Surprised they aren't more widespread.

One thing I discovered in Singapore was how effective ceiling fans are even in 35+ celcius weather. Seems more energy efficient than AC too. Surprised they aren't more widespread.

Oh yeah. Biggest regret in my house is the lack of ceiling lights in the rooms that I could replace with ceiling fans. I'd need to have wiring run for every room, which would be an expensive pain in the ass unfortunately.

Oh yeah. Biggest regret in my house is the lack of ceiling lights in the rooms that I could replace with ceiling fans. I'd need to have wiring run for every room, which would be an expensive pain in the ass unfortunately.

They do make ceiling fans with long cords that you can just plug in. Just gotta, like, anchor the cords to the ceiling or whatever.

Every day I regret becoming a teacher, and then I go home and look at my big paycheque (not an American, lol) and I smile. At the end of the day, I am making a reasonable amount of money and I am genuinely making a difference. It is hard to see these things in the moment, but retrospective reflection is everything.

I think I mentioned in my last update. I feel so loved and so lucky every day with my partner. I am thankful to the gods that I don't really believe in that we met one another.

I got a nice Fathers' Day card from my son (he is 19) and a nice one from my step-son (he is 7). Life is starting to feel normal and good.

I am going to buy a bike.

Spittingwife is an actual expert in the field I'm now working in. She has been close to exploding from fighting the urge to tell me how the company should be doing things. I am amused. :grin:

I'll take her advice, but not before I understand the current processes and procedures.

More water from the ceiling in my store tonight. Man I've had it. Nothing got hit thanks to having recently moved the furniture around yesterday. Totally different spot in the shop, how lucky is that? I need a new location. Wish I had some money :grin:

Attachments

• SUNP0070.JPG
    SUNP0070.JPG
    829.3 KB · Views: 8
More water from the ceiling in my store tonight. Man I've had it. Nothing got hit thanks to having recently moved the furniture around yesterday. Totally different spot in the shop, how lucky is that? I need a new location. Wish I had some money :grin:
The landlord isn't doing anything about it?

My wife and I got COVID. This is the worst. I went to bed at 6PM last night and just woke up. I couldn’t imagine how bad it would be if I wasn’t vaccinated.
Yeah, it's not a fun bug, you have my sympathies.

As for the waterfall in my store, I talked to the land lord's dad. He's Chinese and we have some difficulty communicating but he ran all the taps upstairs and nothing happened. I suspect it was something more like a plugged toilet overflowing or someone showering without the curtain rather than a leak. It was a lot of water fairly quickly. Oh well, he's bringing me some new ceiling tiles today. Personally I think he'd like to figure out where it came from before putting in new tiles. Hopefully it was a one time thing.

My wife and I got COVID. This is the worst. I went to bed at 6PM last night and just woke up. I couldn’t imagine how bad it would be if I wasn’t vaccinated.
My brother-in-law caught COVID Delta strain in the pre-vaccination days.
Didn't survive, and he was only in his late 50s with no prexisitng respiratory issues other than he had been a smoker for much of his 20s and 30s.
Good social background, he was a solicitor/attorney aiming to fully retire within a decade.
Previously healthy guy, with wife and children very much lost now without him.
My wife thinks of him daily, the brother she will never speak with again.

So yeah, thank our lucky stars that most of us are vaccinated these days, you and your partner included

Take care mate

I emailed my doctor's office to see about a Covid booster a couple of days ago. They responded to me today telling me to check local pharmacies, since they didn't yet have the most up to date boosters. What a weird state of affairs.

Fuck fitted sheets. Fuck their uncooperative nature. Fuck their unwillingness to fold into anything but hot goddamn mess.
I know I'm superficial for responding to this, given everything else going on in this thread, but maybe it will brighten Fenris-77's days in the future: The trick is to fold each of the four corners into the same spot and flip them so that the elastic is on the same side for all of them: First you double up the thing and flip the elastic over from one side, then you double it up again (so that now all original corners are in the same spot) and flip the elastics from one side over again.

Here's a somewhat convoluted explanation (though not more convoluted than the above), presented by a convicted felon:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back