Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Picked up my lease car yesterday. 2020 Nissan Leaf. My first foray into an electric vehicle. Only had 8671 miles on it.
I have three friends who have or have had, leafs. Two of them are “a car is a practical tool” sorts of people, and they loved them, and one still has his (the other regrets turning it in, but he has 3 small kids and it wasn’t practical). The third bought a Tesla after his was done, but still loved his leaf

I have three friends who have or have had, leafs. Two of them are “a car is a practical tool” sorts of people, and they loved them, and one still has his (the other regrets turning it in, but he has 3 small kids and it wasn’t practical). The third bought a Tesla after his was done, but still loved his leaf

I am very much “a car is a tool” kind of guy, so looking forward to not spending money on gas. Plus with my car allowance, I will be getting back more $$ than I am paying for car + insurance so the electricity is covered too.

I am very much “a car is a tool” kind of guy, so looking forward to not spending money on gas. Plus with my car allowance, I will be getting back more $$ than I am paying for car + insurance so the electricity is covered too.
then I think you will enjoy it very much. super low maintenance, super smooth, no fuss, no muss.

There's apparently still a job offer at my work for a confidential counsellor/advisor, i.e. a person you can speak with confidentially if you've experienced or witnessed inappropriate/transgressive behaviour in the workplace. This is something you do besides your regular work. On one hand, I'm very interested and, I think, would be pretty good at it, on the other hand, I´m kind of averse to being the center of attention and this of course would require for me to be recognizable throughout the company, presenting yourself to the public in the company´s communication sheet, generally being rather non-anonymous.

There's also the issue that there's an increasing number of foreign employés who are poor English speakers, rendering communication extremely tedious and difficult when it comes to such subject matter.

Yeah, I dunno... should I just say fuck-it and try stepping pretty far outside my comfort zone or should I let the opportunity pass?

Last edited:
There's an apparently still a job offer at my work for a confidential counsellor/advisor, i.e. a person you can speak with confidentially if you've experienced or witnessed inappropriate/transgressive behaviour in the workplace. This is something you do besides your regular work. On one hand, I'm very interested and, I think, would be pretty good at it, on the other hand, I´m kind of averse to being the center of attention and this of course would require for me to be recognizable throughout the company, presenting yourself to the public in the company´s communication sheet, generally being rather non-anonymous.

There's also the issue that there's an increasing number of foreign employés who are poor English speakers, rendering communication extremely tedious and difficult when it comes to such subject matter.

Yeah, I dunno... should I just say fuck-it and try stepping pretty far outside my comfort zone or should I let the opportunity pass?
I've always found making a pros and cons list to be helpful when making decisions like this. They don't always tell me what to do, but they help me get a bigger picture of the situation.

I've always found making a pros and cons list to be helpful when making decisions like this. They don't always tell me what to do, but they help me get a bigger picture of the situation.
All my reasons for considering it at all are idealistic ones, since I've experienced it myself. I feel that managers and lower superiors/supervisors - shiftleaders and operators - are extremely ill-informed in and bad at recognizing and acknowledging inappropriate behaviour. And some targeted employés are extremely averse to taking action at all and intuitively do not know the right person to approach, which should be a manager, HR or the company doctor rather than a shiftleader, let alone an operator. (Of course the most preferable would be to discuss the matter first with a confidential advisor.)

And there's a small number of obvious pro's: you get some extra money, you get some training, you get to advise HR and be taken seriously.

So, in the vein of being old, or perhaps just not that fabled Toby Keith 'good as I once was', I drank sparingly tonight (for some value of that word), but much longer than usual. Closed the bar. Put up with bar close-y shit. Even did that well (I'm that guy). What did I get? Enough rancid heartburn to keep me up indefinitely. Getting old sucks.

So, moving on from my heartburn issues, this space of time has also cemented in my mind that some people can be trusted with neither a keyboard nor opinions of their own. I'm not against free speech, quite the opposite, and here I'm actually talking about people I know, to whit, the people who fill my Facebook feed (with nonsense). But Jesus fucking Christ, what a clown car of vejazzeled and rancid buttered shit that is. How is this steaming pile of nonsense the set of opinions from people I decided, possibly in a moment of insanity, that I liked or gave a shit about? Anyway, /rant.

Just finished watching the Aussie Rules Grand Final, and getting happy drunk because my team absolutely destroyed them. Seriously, it was party time from about half way through the game. Go Geelong!

I´m kind of averse to being the center of attention and this of course would require for me to be recognizable throughout the company, presenting yourself to the public in the company´s communication sheet, generally being rather non-anonymous.

All my reasons for considering it at all are idealistic ones, since I've experienced it myself. [...]

And there's a small number of obvious pro's: you get some extra money, you get some training, you get to advise HR and be taken seriously.
Is that the full list of pros and cons? For how long do you have to commit? And could you go back to being anonymous afterwards?

Two points: Stepping outside your comfort zone for something that you are passionate about could be a clear positive, since you comfort zone will probably shift expand significantly. And from what I've read, helping people often leads to a sense of fulfillment.

Disclaimer: I am notoriously bad at making judgments about psychology, so I'm just relying on past experience and what I've read in magazines.

Last edited:
For how long do you have to commit? And could you go back to being anonymous afterwards?
I can probably quit any time, within boundaries of decency and practicality. It's kind of a voluntary something extra you can choose to commit to besides your normal work. They try to have three active confidential advisors available at any time, but there's currently only two as the third one recently quit.

It's not like you'd be some kind of celebrity, just that people need to know you're one of the counsellors and how to get in touch. Going back to being anonymous would probably happen gradually and naturally once you quit. The worst of being known throughout the company would be having a pic of your ugly mug on display in the communication sheet... which I am oddly very uncomfortable with. :shock:

Two points: Stepping outside your comfort zone for something that you are passionate about could be a clear positive, since you comfort zone will probably shift expand significantly. And from what I've read, helping people often leads to a sense of fulfillment.
I'd love to help people with this and I believe that by having experienced and researched inappropriate behaviour I could definitely be an asset to the team.

Last edited:
I can probably quit any time, within boundaries of decency and practicality. It's kind of a voluntary something extra you can choose to commit to besides your normal work. They try to have three active confidential advisors available at any time, but there's currently only two as the third one recently quit.

It's not like you'd be some kind of celebrity, just that people need to know you're one of the counsellors and how to get in touch. Going back to being anonymous would probably happen gradually and naturally once you quit. The worst of being known throughout the company would be having a pic of your ugly mug on display in the communication sheet... :shock:

I'd love to help people with this and I believe that by having experienced and researched inappropriate behaviour I could definitely be an asset to the team.
That sounds like you have very little to lose and a lot to gain (and contribute). Even if you don't do it for long, you'll have done something new and soon everything will be back to normal. So in the worst case, you'll have an unpleasant additional task (with two team members to help you) for whatever minimal time is decent. If you do it for longer, though, you'll get to help people with something that you also care about and get comfortable being somewhat in the spotlight and having your mug on display. (One way or the other, you have my respect, just for seriously considering taking the position.)

So, moving on from my heartburn issues, this space of time has also cemented in my mind that some people can be trusted with neither a keyboard nor opinions of their own. I'm not against free speech, quite the opposite, and here I'm actually talking about people I know, to whit, the people who fill my Facebook feed (with nonsense). But Jesus fucking Christ, what a clown car of vejazzeled and rancid buttered shit that is. How is this steaming pile of nonsense the set of opinions from people I decided, possibly in a moment of insanity, that I liked or gave a shit about? Anyway, /rant.
And that's why when folks say to me something along the lines of "Oh we've got a Facebook, check us out there!". I reply quite bluntly, I'd rather gnaw off my own testicles than have a Facebook account. Or if I'm feeling more diplomatic I'll say gnaw off my own hand.

I quit all forms of social media about 10 years ago and my life has been far more pleasant for it. I also stopped paying attention to the news just before the election in 2018 and that's been an even bigger boost for my happiness levels. Basically other people suck the shit from a dead man's ass. The less you interact with the, the happier you'll be.

No, but I have done that job in the past. The people I worked for were far worse than the people that called in. It was working fast food that really made me hate people.
I consider myself very lucky to have had good coworkers and managers when I worked fastfood. It's the customers that killed my faith in humanity for awhile. 80% of them were either nice or at least civil, but the other 20% more than made up for them in their asinine behavior.

I guess I worked fast food so long ago, it may as well be a different planet. This was back in the days when, if you were a piece of shit customer, the manager didn't try to make you happy, the manager told you to Get the Fuck Out. And Don't Come Back. So, it was overall pretty pleasant.

Another nice thing was we used to give the Sheriffs free food if they were on their shifts (i.e. in the car and in uniform.) So we always had Sheriffs around, and funny enough, never had any robberies or other incidents during the 2 years I worked there. In my opinion, it was definitely worth the cost of the free food :-)

I don’t know if it’s still the case, but Tim Hortons doughnut shops had an official policy in the late 80s and early 90s in Toronto that cops were always given free food and coffee when in uniform. So many of the ones in downtown Toronto stayed open all night, so it was worth it to them to have cops stopping by at irregular intervals when the seedier element was out and about.

I only know this because I worked security at the Eaton Centre and a couple of other downtown locations during that time and remember what the core was like back then.

When I managed a few Burger Kings locally we always gave police food for free when in uniform. only had one douche who took advantage and asked for special edition glasses or kids toys (this was in the mid-90s). And he wouldn’t just ask for the current glass or toy - he’d ask us to get one of everything we had. But we did it to keep police presence. Didn’t stop me from having a gun put to my temple during a robbery though.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back