Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Me and my partner, Teresa, have our Adoption Panel booked in for 13th March where it will be decided if we can progress into adoption with the little girl we've been matched with. :ooh:

Very nervous, scared and excited already!

Super cool! I wish you both great success and happiness *when* (not if!) everything works out!

Blegh, my job is dumb. Several factors went into me taking this job, including promises of a pay increase after every month for the first 3 months, at least 20 hours/week and the ability to get tuition assistance after working for 3 months.
All of these were lies.
Despite being here for over 3 months my pay hasn't increased a cent.
I barely average 10 hours/week, and have even gone a whole week without work.
I've just been informed today that the tuition assistance is not available to me until 6 months after I've finished my present term, which is sometime around October.
The head honchos kept whining about how no one was sticking around longer than a month after being hired. Heck, I only stayed because I got a no interest loan to pay for tuition, and the hours work with my school schedule.
I hate job hunting, but now my current employer is unintentionally incentivizing it.

My work-issued Dell laptop returned from the manufacturer a couple of days ago. I am told they replaced the motherboard and power supply. On one level, the repair works fine--but now I cannot use any MS programs (besides utilities like file explorer, or whatever they call it these days). Whenever I try to log in to these, the result is an error--or, for OneDrive, a bizarre strobing effect as the login screen flashes on and off more rapidly than the eye can see.

After a couple of trips to I.T., and considerably cooling of my heels as I stood around while they tried various alternatives--they needed me there to input my login information repeatedly--they have decided on a full wipe and reinstall of software. I've backed up all the material I kept on the old laptop that wasn't on OneDrive. This took a while, since the USB stick they gave me for the purpose was an older-generation model and very slow--the file transfer program estimated the time to copy one of my bigger folders at 1 hour and 18 minutes. Fortunately, I have my own newer USB stick that I use for backups, which could handle the same folder in less than 10 minutes. But this means I'll be the one uploading the files, rather than than I.T. I'm supposed to hand over the old laptop on Monday and then they'll do what they need to do and get it back to me in a couple of days. We'll see what happens then.

In tge good news bad news department... My team finally has an SCM so I can stop being in that role! My team is also losing the PO so I have to take that role back!

I have no idea when I'll ever be able to go back to being just an architect again...

The fact that I recently read Abercrombie's First Law trilogy isn't making this more attractive. The man has something about people being injured in the mouth and losing teeth.
Not alone. I started listening to that trilogy about the same time a broken front tooth and implants everywhere had me on 6+ months of soft food.

In tge good news bad news department... My team finally has an SCM so I can stop being in that role! My team is also losing the PO so I have to take that role back!

I have no idea when I'll ever be able to go back to being just an architect again...

Yeah. Bad news is, once people figure out that you're the "other duties as assigned" person, and you can basically do anything you're handed, you never get rid of that role. Lol.

I've had it for 34 years and counting. Being competent is a curse that results in people always assuming that you know everything...

Me and my partner, Teresa, have our Adoption Panel booked in for 13th March where it will be decided if we can progress into adoption with the little girl we've been matched with. :ooh:

Very nervous, scared and excited already!
Mate, having been through the same thing, best of British luck. Not just for the panel though, for the arguments, tantrums, basically all the teenage years.

Yeah. Bad news is, once people figure out that you're the "other duties as assigned" person, and you can basically do anything you're handed, you never get rid of that role. Lol.

I've had it for 34 years and counting. Being competent is a curse that results in people always assuming that you know everything...
That's one piece of advice I got from someone that was leaving the company. She said that my SCM at the time and I were our own worst enemies, and she took advantage of it. Whenever she came to us, no matter the situation, no matter the obstacles- we got it done. Good for her, but bad for us, because without things failing or deficiencies getting pointed out, senior management would never change and make things better.

PO = Purchase Order-person? Personnel Onboarder? Purple Onager? Post Officer? Prophylactic Oncologist? Premonstratensian Ordovician? Preposterous Optometrist?

Last edited:
That's one piece of advice I got from someone that was leaving the company. She said that my SCM at the time and I were our own worst enemies, and she took advantage of it. Whenever she came to us, no matter the situation, no matter the obstacles- we got it done. Good for her, but bad for us, because without things failing or deficiencies getting pointed out, senior management would never change and make things better.

I feel your pain here, as I'm guilty of the same damn thing. Because I basically do IT miracles with no help and a shitty budget, upper management doesn't think there's any issues because they are always handled by me before they become an issue.

But I'll be retiring soon enough, and then I can watch that ship sink from the safety of my beach chair. :shade:

If any of you folks are religious/spiritual in any way, keep me and my wife in your thoughts sometime, would you? She's lost someone important to her this week, and on top of that, I've learned I'll need a kidney transplant yesterday and my working days are about to come to a very abrupt end.

If any of you folks are religious/spiritual in any way, keep me and my wife in your thoughts sometime, would you? She's lost someone important to her this week, and on top of that, I've learned I'll need a kidney transplant yesterday and my working days are about to come to a very abrupt end.

Wishing you all the best in such tough times. Try and be positive - that can be so important and you don't need to be religious or spiritual to believe that, there's proof that such attitude and perceptions really do help. And... call on your friends and family. They stand with you and will give you a shoulder to lean on and a helping hand when times are tough and you need their support the most. Tell them what you need as well, don't be shy to demand things of them, often we're not always sure what the best way of helping someone is so having it spelled out can really be a positive. Do take care of yourself and each other, you're definitely in my thoughts and, I'm sure, anyone else here that reads your message.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Whoooviee! If I'd had to make a social media post out of what I've today traded with my first ex-wife, it'd hit media gold. Please don't ask me, the translation would take too much time. edit - before anyone asks, NO! :irritated:

Last edited:
My wife has signed us up for a event tonight where we are going sit in a bar and paint (called a sip n' paint apparently), but where there is also going to be organized karaoke. I did not know that such a rich mélange existed.

My wife has signed us up for a event tonight where we are going sit in a bar and paint (called a sip n' paint apparently), but where there is also going to be organized karaoke. I did not know that such a rich mélange existed.

Prior to Covid, the wife used to do something similar called Paint Night. I think a more accurate title would be Drunken Paint Night, as they always ended up smashed, and needed a designated driver. No karaoke however. Drunken or otherwise.

Need to control my forum usage as taking on the "extra job" of looking for a new job. Or to phrase it more correctly looking for a new opportunity. Have literally been doing the job of 3+ people for 7 months now, 2+ people for 14 months, and gettin' it done and done well (which means by them meets expectations...while my take is I meet your unreasonable expectations and exceed reasonable expectations),..anyway can't have a crucial conversation when preconceptions replace facts...the irony is palpable when we have a "go to gemba" mantra. Time to move on, have seen this movie before.

Need to control my forum usage as taking on the "extra job" of looking for a new job. Or to phrase it more correctly looking for a new opportunity. Have literally been doing the job of 3+ people for 7 months now, 2+ people for 14 months, and gettin' it done and done well (which means by them meets expectations...while my take is I meet your unreasonable expectations and exceed reasonable expectations),..anyway can't have a crucial conversation when preconceptions replace facts...the irony is palpable when we have a "go to gemba" mantra. Time to move on, have seen this movie before.

I feel your pain. Good call to get out while you can! I'm so close to retirement that I'm just going to deal with it, and watch the place sink into the swamp when I walk out the door. :devil:

Had my annual performance review yesterday, which went fine. Nice thing was, my boss had just put it on the schedule the day before, so I didn't really have time to get anxious about it.

Right now, I'm just killing time until I go to the doctor for my annual physical exam. I found a new doctor because my old one didn't have any open appointments until May! Nice thing is, besides that the new doctor can see me today, she's also located a lot more conveniently to where I live.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back