Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I spent the weekend running errands for my father, which has almost turned into a second job. My sister helps out when she can, but she lives an hour away and has two young boys. I also spent hours at his bedside while he complained about everything under the sun because he's bored and frustrated. And I set up the new laptop I ordered for him, which was harder than it should have been because only about a third of the list of passwords he wrote down was correct.

I'm not asking for him to leap from his sickbed and throw himself at my feet in gratitude - but a word of thanks now and then would be nice. And some co-operation. I'm not going to get it of course, because he was an awkward cuss even before he got sick. One of the doctors asked if I was planning to move in with him so he could stay in his own house and I told him no, because I'd be an orphan and in jail before the end of the first week.

We grew up in the 80's and are on a forum about RPGs. We ALL resemble that remark. :tongue:

Definitely not me. I was the "weirdo" among the "weirdos". I was among the jocks - football and wrestling, never had problems dating at all. The REAL problem was all the "cool kids" finding out that I actually played D&D, and trying to talk shit to me about it. I often found myself having to defend the nerds over our hobby. It also helped that I was one of the primary weed-suppliers in the school...

You don't tamper with the oil supply.

I did make it bowling last week. My best game was 122 & worst game was 64 :ooh:! We played 6 games. I won two, tied one, and lost the other three. It was fun.

Had my annual physical on Friday. Seems I'm still in pretty decent shape, which makes me happy.

Incidentally, I came across a fun video game for Bunch Bunch, released on September 20 for Microsoft Windows, macOS, and Nintendo Switch:

Microeconomics is the most frustrating thing in the world.

Accounting is all like, "we're going to use math to make everything balance out!"

Microeconomics is all like "we're going to solve math with hate and misanthropy!"

So I have been experiencing a lot of pain in my shoulders and neck (and head) my masseuse blames on poor posture and constant laptop use. I have had three massages in the last few weeks and while it helps a lot it hasn’t eliminated the pain completely . I am popping Excedrin and muscle relaxers like candy. One of my friends is recommending a chiropractor but my doctor thinks it’s snake oil. Anyone have suggestions?

If it's muscle pain, I find that soaking in a hot bath with Epsom salt helps.

Also, and I don't mean this flippantly, is it possible to use your laptop less, and/ or with better posture? My shoulder always feels way better when I use a computer less.

Not much going on here, battling the normal ups and downs while trying to sort some things and get more mental clarity (by cleaning my physical space.) I need more bookshelves, a LOT of bookshelves, but money, alas is not there for that.

The shooting we had last month really had an impact on me and sleep because I feel for the people hurt or injured even though I knew none of them, personally. It still hurts like a raw wound on my heart, and I wish I could simply do more, or could have done more. I have owned firearms in the past and don't now, I enjoyed shooting in the past (at targets) and there was a point in time when I wasn't as sensitive to such thing and now, I somehow take on the pain. I was thinking of getting a gun, and right now, I really don't know if even should I get the money I would do that. Note: I'm a depressive and even back when I owned guns I was---but the key was left with someone I trusted once I realized the danger to myself. (I'd swallow a bullet before hurting someone else, but that's how my depression works.)

One of my friends is recommending a chiropractor but my doctor thinks it’s snake oil. Anyone have suggestions?
It's mostly snake oil mixed in with some legit techniques. If you have a posture issue there's a decent chance you'll genuinely feel better after visiting a chiropractor, just as if you had a good massage or stretching session.

Your best bet is fixing your posture. There are also stretches that can help you counteract the effects of sitting all day. If you have a fat wallet take it out of your back pocket when you sit, that helps out a lot.

Also, and I don't mean this flippantly, is it possible to use your laptop less, and/ or with better posture? My shoulder always feels way better when I use a computer less.
Yeah, I am trying to cut back and that is helping but with work I am still on it a lot. Epsom salts is a great idea.

It's mostly snake oil mixed in with some legit techniques. If you have a posture issue there's a decent chance you'll genuinely feel better after visiting a chiropractor, just as if you had a good massage or stretching session.

Your best bet is fixing your posture. There are also stretches that can help you counteract the effects of sitting all day. If you have a fat wallet take it out of your back pocket when you sit, that helps out a lot.
Thanks! I use a front wallet so that’s not it. I will google some exercises and see if that helps. I’m also thinking of trying a standing desk.

Not much going on here, battling the normal ups and downs while trying to sort some things and get more mental clarity (by cleaning my physical space.) I need more bookshelves, a LOT of bookshelves, but money, alas is not there for that.

The shooting we had last month really had an impact on me and sleep because I feel for the people hurt or injured even though I knew none of them, personally. It still hurts like a raw wound on my heart, and I wish I could simply do more, or could have done more. I have owned firearms in the past and don't now, I enjoyed shooting in the past (at targets) and there was a point in time when I wasn't as sensitive to such thing and now, I somehow take on the pain. I was thinking of getting a gun, and right now, I really don't know if even should I get the money I would do that. Note: I'm a depressive and even back when I owned guns I was---but the key was left with someone I trusted once I realized the danger to myself. (I'd swallow a bullet before hurting someone else, but that's how my depression works.)
Get better Silverlion! Depression is no joke. I’m not a doctor but my wife uses SAM-E to put her in a better mood. It’s non-prescription in the US though I understand that it’s different in Europe. Where are you from? Just said a quick prayer for you!

By the way I tend to sit leaning to the right a little (probably from using a mouse). The thing is I don’t know when I’m doing it. Getting old stinks.

Thanks! I use a front wallet so that’s not it. I will google some exercises and see if that helps. I’m also thinking of trying a standing desk.
This is just from my experience, pease don't take this away like I am actually trying to give you medical advice.

I've seen Chiropractors for years. they do help in fundamental ways that doctors can't .
If you get a good Chiro, they crack you back into shape and send you for a massage. You should feel better right away and only have the muscle pain.
If you get a bad chiro, they pretend to do something which does nothing and tell you to keep coming back. These guys are snake oils salesmen and if you don't feel good cracks on your first visit, DO NOT GO BACK.

Chiropractors are trained medical professionals, In Canada our doctors will even recommend them. They are a part of overall treatment and utilize x rays and physio. Some Doctors still have a thing against them, but it is purely a personal bias at that point, so like anything with a doctor's diagnosis... get a second opinion.

The owner of the company I work for is a self-made millionaire who employs some talented people that the mainstream job market would turn down (i.e. ex-cons, recovering addicts). This is something I applaud because I believe people should be allowed to earn a second chance at life and turn things around.

Unfortunately a dud slipped through the cracks. It's bad enough that this guy has no filter; he constantly brings up inappropriate topics like political conspiracy theories, casual racism and homophobia, and his sexual encounters with trans prostitutes. He did a lot of steroids and his wild mood swings leads me to suspect he either still does them or there were some long lasting side effects (it's like both his male and female hormone production are on constant overdrive). After the boss and I confronted him on his memory issues he admits to brain damage from a head-on car crash in January. It is obvious that he desperately wants friendship and respect but his outrageous behavior, chronic lying, and macho self-aggrandizement makes him a joke in everyone's eyes. This is a man in his mid-50's and all he has to show for his life is a '98 Corvette, a couple illegitimate kids, and many, many guns. A running joke between the boss and I is a fictional conversation between us and a police officer in the aftermath of a shooting spree.

I respect the right to bear arms but wouldn't trust this dangerous idiot to run a lemonade stand much less responsibly own a firearm.

Edit: My intent is not to be political in the least, I just wanted to voice my concerns. He's probably just a harmless blowhard idiot and I don't want to ruin someone's life over a suspicion without evidence.

Last edited:
Get better Silverlion! Depression is no joke. I’m not a doctor but my wife uses SAM-E to put her in a better mood. It’s non-prescription in the US though I understand that it’s different in Europe. Where are you from? Just said a quick prayer for you!

I'm in Texas, I've got solid meds. They're working pretty well. (I just feel exhausted and tired from my sleep med which frustrates me because I know cleaning this space would help me mentally a lot.) I mean all the handful of pills I take have "may cause drowsiness" (which usually means the opposite for me.) But not the sleep one (diazapam/valium.) Still, they help. I'm planning on being here a LONG LONG time.

So I have been experiencing a lot of pain in my shoulders and neck (and head) my masseuse blames on poor posture and constant laptop use. I have had three massages in the last few weeks and while it helps a lot it hasn’t eliminated the pain completely . I am popping Excedrin and muscle relaxers like candy. One of my friends is recommending a chiropractor but my doctor thinks it’s snake oil. Anyone have suggestions?
I fixed a similar problem by strengthening the muscles involved with a resistance fitness routine mixed with cardio. Maybe talk to a personal trainer?

I'm in Texas, I've got solid meds. They're working pretty well. (I just feel exhausted and tired from my sleep med which frustrates me because I know cleaning this space would help me mentally a lot.) I mean all the handful of pills I take have "may cause drowsiness" (which usually means the opposite for me.) But not the sleep one (diazapam/valium.) Still, they help. I'm planning on being here a LONG LONG time.
What part of Texas are you in? I’m in Plano, just north of Dallas. Some of my players are in Houston and San Antonio.

Body weight in this case. Push-ups, crunches, squats, with running in between to let those muscles recover. You could find an introductory workout on Youtube.
I had back pain for a while, and that's good advice.

It helps to just get up and do a little light exercise through the day. When I start to feel even the slightest stiffness in my back or neck, I get up and do a few push-ups or squats, or just walk and stretch a little. Aside from keeping back pain at bay, my mind is usually a little sharper when I sit down again too.

It is definitely flat here until you get past the Caprock. (Ancient Ocean's were apparently very flat. but that's why there is oil, all those dead sea things that were once here.) But the boom/bust cycle is a nightmare. Right now booming, so rent is high, everything is high, which doesn't help those of us who make little money on disability. Crime is horrible here. Sighs.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back