Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
If I catch a break in the next month I’ll give Masks of Nyarlathotep a good read, and hopefully run it via video chat.
I was going to ask how one gets an invitation to this game, but then I remembered that I'm more than halfway through reading my own physical copy of Masks. :drink::goof::drink:

Just finished a story arc for our Middle Earth game
Over several sessions of monthly play, I ran the three connected adventure scenarios from The One RIng 'Bree' book. Lots of fun with a satisfying conclusion!

We're resting for the next three months until our troupe member returns, then back to monthly play again. I'm likely to get them to continue with those characters and I'm considering using The One Ring 'Ruins Of Eriador' book next, it has a story arc over 5 connected adventure scenarios. Either that, or we try another game.

Anyway, it's always satisifying to finish a story arc or campaign!

Last edited:
I have yet to get out of the two year old stage after seven years and four kids. I plan for zero more so maybe in six months i can finally have a little peace. Can't wait for everyone to be able to poop without assistance and be able to self entertain without hurting themselves.

I don't have kids, but, according to my parents, it gets easier when the kids reach their thirties.

I was going to ask how one gets an invitation to this game, but then I remembered that I'm more than halfway through reading my own physical copy of Masks. :drink::goof::drink:

I’m running it for some old gaming buddies who have spread around the world but if all goes well I might recruit a second group here, who knows?

At least you have something to look forward to, then? It's a damn good book.

Lest I give anyone the impression that life sucks right now: it doesn’t. I have plenty to look forward to. Lovely wife, fulfilling job, a holiday to plan, and my kid will get better. Also if all goes well, Wednesday I should be grabbing a beer with the boys at my favorite watering hole. Oh, and the book, of course. :smile:

Also the party went great, my kid (properly medicated for fever and nausea) had a ton of fun, kid’s still sick but responds well to symptomatic medication and we’re keeping an eye per his pediatrician’s instructions.

Thanks everyone for the support. Didn’t mean to hog the thread but I suspect I touched a cord with many of you.

The easiest is not having them, but that's not very helpful once you have them.

Before having him I was always second-guessing myself. What if I took that other job in another town? What if I had gone for a different specialty? And so on.

Once he was born, all that ceased.

I have no interest in a world where he might not exist.

Last edited:
I’m running it for some old gaming buddies who have spread around the world but if all goes well I might recruit a second group here, who knows?

Lest I give anyone the impression that life sucks right now: it doesn’t. I have plenty to look forward to. Lovely wife, fulfilling job, and my kid will get better. Also if all goes well, Wednesday I should be grabbing a beer with the boys at my favorite watering hole. Oh, and the book, of course. :smile:

Also the party went great, my kid (properly medicated for fever and nausea) had a ton of fun, kid’s still sick but responds well to symptomatic medication and we’re keeping an eye per his pediatrician’s instructions.

Thanks everyone for the support. Didn’t mean to hog the thread but I suspect I touched a cord with many of you.
As I was drifting off to sleep last night, cataloging all my concerns, I did spend some time worrying if your kid was able to enjoy the party. The second birthday party is a big one, as it is the first one where they can really appreciate what is going on.

Before having him I was always second-guessing myself. What if I took that other job in another town? What if I had gone for a different specialty? And so on.

That's well-put! Also very true IME.

Lest I give anyone the impression that life sucks right now: it doesn’t. I have plenty to look forward to. Lovely wife, fulfilling job, a holiday to plan, and my kid will get better. Also if all goes well, Wednesday I should be grabbing a beer with the boys at my favorite watering hole. Oh, and the book, of course. :smile:

Interesting. Before kids I rarely second guessed what I was doing. It only affected me and I figured I could recover from just about everything. Now I find parenting has large numbers of I'm making this decision now hoping/believing it's the best choice but I'll only know the actual outcome potentially decades later. How lax should I be? How strict? This choice now has large upfront work, will it pay off? Will the lessons I hope to impart be lost due to peer pressure etc. It feels very much like gambling. Only I care a lot more about each bet. And I have no clue what the odds are.

I see friends who did the total indulgence style parenting for the first five years or so. Their kids were nightmares to be around. However now their kids tend to tell them everything. We were more strict trying to set what we believe are appropriate boundaries but often my kids tell me 'It's a secret" when I ask something. Is that a phase or is that a byproduct of being too strict. Dunno. Might never. Will it mean I lose out on important information in the teen years? No clue. So that's fun. Oh and the overindulgent parents kids are still kind of annoying to spend time around so no clue if that's a better choice either. I know what I appreciate from my parents but I also know half of it I didn't appreciate until college or later. I don't know what the road not chosen looks like so I can't really say the choice I am making is the best. And I haven't slept six contiguous hours in over six years so I'm not in the best state to be making life affecting decisions.

Last edited:
It's quite all right...already, I Know Too Much - quite literally, in this case. I just started reading the Australia chapter.

It's quite all right...already, I Know Too Much - quite literally, in this case. I just started reading the Australia chapter.
Fair warning. Don't bother studying it too hard. PCs never go there. The original edition was correct to cut that chapter.

Two facts
1. People who run games (vs. people who just play) are overrepresented in forums.
2. Masks of Nyarlathotep is one of the most popular adventures of all time.

Probably difficult to find someone who hasn't read at least part of it here.

If I ever get a Pub-centric video chat game going, I'd probably run something slightly less famous, or maybe even (gasp) homebrewed content. No shortage of things I want to run.

Hokey smokes, I was trying to find an image for something in the "IPs that should have licensed RPGS" and just stumbled upon a treasure trove of presumably illegal, high-quality PDFs of tons of games! They all appear to be out of print as far as I can tell.

"I can resist everything except temptation."
- Lord Darlington, Lady Windermere's Fan (Act I) by Oscar Wilde (1892)

Two facts
1. People who run games (vs. people who just play) are overrepresented in forums.
2. Masks of Nyarlathotep is one of the most popular adventures of all time.

Probably difficult to find someone who hasn't read at least part of it here.

If I ever get a Pub-centric video chat game going, I'd probably run something slightly less famous, or maybe even (gasp) homebrewed content. No shortage of things I want to run.
I don't think I've ever read Masks. Though I've played a CoC campaign...

Either way, you're right about GMs being overrepresented on forums. Does anyone has an idea why, I wonder?

And no, I'm not buying the adage about GMs being the most active RPGers. Maybe the ones most likely to tell you about their campaign!

Sinus infection for a month. Finally kicking its but with antibiotics, a huge truckload of other meds, stronger anti-allergy meds. So today it rains, warm, dry and windy earlier, now dust-laden rain. I feel like a horse kicked me in the head again. Please GO AWAY. Also got a new cover for H&S2E, as well as other writings, sorted out. So onward, sick or not as best I can.

Hokey smokes, I was trying to find an image for something in the "IPs that should have licensed RPGS" and just stumbled upon a treasure trove of presumably illegal, high-quality PDFs of tons of games! They all appear to be out of print as far as I can tell.

Would you say you found a Trove of them?

would that there were only out of print rpgs on the internets.

So today my 9-year old son made a joke so dark and funny that my wife and I were weeping with laughter and had to have a talk with him about not making jokes like that in front of his grandmothers nor outside of anyone he was related to. However, we did tell him it was hilarious, that we liked his sense of humor, and that we loved him very much. But holy shit, it was dark stuff.

So today my 9-year old son made a joke so dark and funny that my wife and I were weeping with laughter and had to have a talk with him about not making jokes like that in front of his grandmothers nor outside of anyone he was related to. However, we did tell him it was hilarious, that we liked his sense of humor, and that we loved him very much. But holy shit, it was dark stuff.
Well, dark humour is like food in Africa...

...wait, was that the joke?

So, what was the joke?

Sadly my son doesn’t even really like roleplaying yet. He’s done it with his friends and he was even good at it, he’d just rather inform me about the thunderstorms we are expecting to get 10 days from now.
Give him time, and play a game with thunder gods:devil:!

Give him time, and play a game with thunder gods:devil:!

he played 5e with his friends, i ran. we had standard boyhood power fantasy kid, older cleric kid, reluctant to play archer kid, and my son, who played a halfling rogue. I start them off on lost mines of phlandelver...

"you all are driving a cart with a horse to help out a friend who's moving to a new town. Forest is kind of spooky, what do you all do?"
"I pull out my sword!"
"I keep an eye out and knock an arrow!"
my son, while leaning back in his chair and putting his head behind his head, slows down his speech, "I'm gonna just stay in the back of the cart here and take a nap. these guys can drive me around..."

i wept with laughter at how perfect the impression was of a fat lazy halfling rogue.

he played 5e with his friends, i ran. we had standard boyhood power fantasy kid, older cleric kid, reluctant to play archer kid, and my son, who played a halfling rogue. I start them off on lost mines of phlandelver...

"you all are driving a cart with a horse to help out a friend who's moving to a new town. Forest is kind of spooky, what do you all do?"
"I pull out my sword!"
"I keep an eye out and knock an arrow!"
my son, while leaning back in his chair and putting his head behind his head, slows down his speech, "I'm gonna just stay in the back of the cart here and take a nap. these guys can drive me around..."

i wept with laughter at how perfect the impression was of a fat lazy halfling rogue.
Lazy characters can be surprisingly fun to play. I played in a Morrow Project game a couple of months ago where my PC was essentially Beetle Bailey. It wasn't really the concept I had in mind when making the character, but my friend that was playing the team leader was being so entertainingly bossy that it just fit to have a character that was continuously trying to get out of doing anything.

It's one reason I don't like to think too much about my characters before play. The best ideas often just arise when you hit the rest of the group.

Lazy characters can be surprisingly fun to play. I played in a Morrow Project game a couple of months ago where my PC was essentially Beetle Bailey. It wasn't really the concept I had in mind when making the character, but my friend that was playing the team leader was being so entertainingly bossy that it just fit to have a character that was continuously trying to get out of doing anything.

It's one reason I don't like to think too much about my characters before play. The best ideas often just arise when you hit the rest of the group.
BeetleRPG.png

I'm grateful that one of the few things the ex and I agreed on was that neither of us really wanted kids.

Lol, I first read that as " neither of us wanted the kids"

Yeah, I have a few "pirate troves". I'd probably also have lots more money if I didn't have this irrational need to have everything in hard copy too.

Out of curiosity, the one you found - was it called "TheRPGTrove" or "The Curated Archive"?

Yeah, I have a few "pirate troves". I'd probably also have lots more money if I didn't have this irrational need to have everything in hard copy too.

Out of curiosity, the one you found - was it called "TheRPGTrove" or "The Curated Archive"?
No, but it has the word "trove" in it.

Ice-hockey results: FIN 5 - SWE 4!!! (overtime)

I'm not much of a hockey fan myself, but it always feels good to see victory over the neighbours, especially in a match as close as this!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back