Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
The kids are both getting awards at school this week so I left work early to take them for ice cream and now we are waiting for our pizza from a place hidden in a nondescript strip mall. From the outside you can barely tell it's there, but they make tasty food for takeout. No dining area.
Hmm, what can you do with this picture and Unknown Armies... do we need a thread:evil:?

Saw Steve Earle & the Dukes perform at the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago last night. It was a really good show.

I've seen him play solo but would like to see him with a band.

Saw Steve Earle & the Dukes perform at the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago last night. It was a really good show.
I've mentioned elsewhere that I don't care much for most country music, but I do like what I've heard of Earle's music.

As mentioned previously, my kids are now into G.I. Joe and I gave them a bunch of "Elite Force" Joe-alike* toys. My daughter, however, would like some "girls" for her Joe team and the Joe knockoffs don't seem to have any. The other day I dug through their other toys and found a Jurassic World doll almost the same 3 3/4" size (maybe 3 1/2"). No idea who the character is as I have seen none of the movies after the original, but she's a redhead so my kids are using her as an ersatz Scarlett. My daughter's eighth birthday is in about 6 weeks and she wants more G.I. Joe-type toys: "We need a jet and a tank and..."

Working on the jet and tank, etc., but lo and behold what I managed to get a hold of for her: not one but two "girls" she can use!
20190604_222319.jpg
Got the set for about $25...seemed like a good price since everywhere else I saw them (and similar sets) for a lot more. Yo Joe!
giphy-6.gif

* Elite Force actually uses real-life vehicles, weapons, and matériel. It's pretty nifty in its own right.

Last edited:
Chaperoning 2nd grade field trip to the San Diego County Fair today.
20190605_111351.jpg
20190605_105907.jpg

I spent the long weekend at GeyserCon in lovely Rotorua, which I believe is the only (still existing) city on Earth built in the caldera of a sliiiiightly active volcano. It is now winter and it was stupidly cold. My SO caught something she's still not over.

I got my palm read by a psychic, who confidently told me three wrong facts about myself, and one correct one.

I played rules-light D&D on terrain for the first time ever, and it was lots of fun. My first character died from science. I'll always miss you, whatever-your-name-was.

I sat in on a fantasy map-making presentation, which was interesting and useful. And one about the Phantom Thief archetype from fiction, which was historically satisfying.

I contemplated punting my pets after we picked them up from the cattery and they showed how much they missed us by yowling all night. I've been so tired it was an extra couple of nights before I could face opening up a forum again.

Had an allergy attack last night-- the first time I've ever had one severe enough for me to worry about if I was going to live. (Throat was closing up, ears itching, trouble to breathe.) I've no idea either what caused it, which is what made it all the more frightening.

Had an allergy attack last night-- the first time I've ever had one severe enough for me to worry about if I was going to live. (Throat was closing up, ears itching, trouble to breathe.) I've no idea either what caused it, which is what made it all the more frightening.

Do you take prescription meds for it? I developed an allergy to Mountain Ceder (which is *EVERYWHERE* here in North Texas). And I've had a couple of scares myself.

About a month ago, I started working with a Personal Trainer twice a week because I want to get in better shape. Had my latest workout session this morning, and now I am happily exhausted.

AWESOME E-Rocker!!!

I'm on the "get healthy" trek myself. Full blood panel and DNA screening - found out I have a genetic mutation. Changed my diet (high-protein, moderate fat, near-zero carbs) and since April 5th I've dropped 31lbs. I have a nutritionist, dietitian, counselor, a whole team working with me. Daily supplements. I was skeptical at first... but now...

Honestly? I feel fantastic. Something my doctor turned me onto - it's an over-the-counter amino-acid called 5-HTF (5-Hydroxytryptophan) 50mg a night before I go to bed... and holy crap the dreams. The DREAMS. I'm going to start yoga within the next month or so.

About a month ago, I started working with a Personal Trainer twice a week because I want to get in better shape. Had my latest workout session this morning, and now I am happily exhausted.
Heh. My first couple of months of evening workouts usually ended with me resentfully exhausted, but they were worth it. I feel so much better now.

At work I average about seven miles a day walking five days a week. I’m too tired to exercise when I get home.

Amen. On days I don't have school I work from 10am to 730 pm, with a two hour walk to and from home both ways. I could take a bus, but I like listening to music and decompressing a bit.

I do stretches in the mornings though, basically just to keep my back in working order

I chase four kids around all day from 6am to 7:30pm as I wrestle them into bed. Then I have the luxury of being woken up 3-5 times a night for 15-120 minutes a time to deal with a baby.

I'm a stay at home dad. I talk with a male person on average one hour a week with good weeks being five hours.

I went to a father son weekend last weekend. We stayed up until 2am playing poker and drinking. I got up at 5:30 am.

My wife reported back to me the wives said the other dad's were all trying to figure out why I seemed well rested. I said it's cuz I got four contiguous hours of sleep!

Do you take prescription meds for it? I developed an allergy to Mountain Ceder (which is *EVERYWHERE* here in North Texas). And I've had a couple of scares myself.

I've got an anti-allergy med script (limited time) because I'd had recent ongoing sinus issues. I do take other Over-the-counter stuff but never had such a reaction before.

Got a new cat yet?

Putting it off for a bit. In the middle of a move (will be finished up on the 12th), and I think we're planning on a puppy and kitten at the same time, so they can grow up together. We couldn't get any other pets with Chevy - she was too aggressive towards other animals.

Sunday is my wife and I's 18th wedding anniversary. We're going out for all you can eat Korean BBQ tomorrow because we are more fatties than romantics. Then a huge board game day on Sunday. Not the way most couples celebrate their anniversary but I'm happy with it.

Sunday is my wife and I's 18th wedding anniversary. We're going out for all you can eat Korean BBQ tomorrow because we are more fatties than romantics. Then a huge board game day on Sunday. Not the way most couples celebrate their anniversary but I'm happy with it.

Ours was this week and we ignored it as we do most of them. For us getting married just gave us legal protections and changed nothing in our day to day life.

My wife and I went finally found a good little Japanese restaurant in our small tourist town. Pretty excited as I love sashimi and sake and have been missing them as I grew up on the West Coast and Japanese food is a staple.

I can't even eat sushi in the states anymore. After having it in Tokyo its just ruined it for me. The quality and price difference is just so vast.

I can't even eat sushi in the states anymore. After having it in Tokyo its just ruined it for me. The quality and price difference is just so vast.

I don’t really eat much sushi per se, I’m sashimi and nigiri all the way.

I have been a major funk for a while. Lots of stress at home and work. I feel like I am coming out of it. If nothing else I feel my creativity, coming back.

i feel ya. that was late-march, early april for me. same amounts of stress at home and work. I am seeing it a lot in my social circles with people my age (90% of the pub)

So a nice fun swingback from having a wonderful weekend with my wife for our anniversary, is getting a call from my doctor's office to talk to me about my options for my sleep apnea and how expensive it's going to be for me to get a CPAP machine. (Something like $1k US over the next year, 300 of it up front). It would be more but luckily (ahahaha) I've had to spend enough this year on medical stuff that I've hit my deductible.

Ahhhhhh, fuck the American Healthcare system. (not trying to make this political, just bitching about my specific situation).

Want to actually be able to sleep well? Go into debt.

I still owe about $3,500 from my three eye surgeries, so I feel the deductible pain. They'll get their money in full eventually. I find it funny how when you go in for a procedure, they ask how you would like to pay the balance in full at that time, as if 99% of people have the ability to pay right then and there without using credit cards.

I had to have a bunch of eye surgeries, but luckily at the time it was in the middle of the recession and I was working in home renovations which was a dead as hell field. I was so poor I was on government insurance, which actually paid for all of it.

I still owe money for the MRIs and hospital visits earlier this year after I hurt my back though. Also if they asked if I'd like to pay for the MRI then or have them send me a bill I did literally laugh in their face.

I had a CAT scan done a couple years ago on my abdomen and I got a bill for $1,000 from the hospital. I ended up making a payment arrangement for 10 months and it didn't hurt as much.

I had a CAT scan done a couple years ago on my abdomen and I got a bill for $1,000 from the hospital. I ended up making a payment arrangement for 10 months and it didn't hurt as much.
The fact that it takes them up to a year to Bill me for things related to my last child being born sets a low expectation for rapid payment.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back