Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
What game, what was the scenario, who was your character, etc.? You tease!

Fate Core hack of The One Ring rpg

We finished up the mini-campaign that is in TOR Bree book. Very easy to port into Fate Core, and for the first time it really feels like Middle Earth.

I run a monthly rpg session, so this has taken us six months to do.
We'll now take a three month break while one of the players is away, then return to it. I'm considering TOR Ruins Of The North to be the next campaign, it's set in a nearby region so I can find a reason for the PCs to be there.
It's all been great stuff to run, pure enjoyment

And no, there was no R-rated Hobbit spankings !!! :grin:

Last edited:
Ahhhhhh, fuck the American Healthcare system. (not trying to make this political, just bitching about my specific situation).

Want to actually be able to sleep well? Go into debt.
It took me a few years to pay off the medical bills for my fibroid surgery. Granted, that wasn't helped by a) my finances not being in a great place after the divorce, b) the routine medical procedure being not so routine, and also c) the period of time afterwards when I got my work reduced from full-time to part-time for a while.

So, yes, I can empathize.

I've had a tooth going bad for a bit. Well its getting towards unbearable. So I'm going to the dentist in about a half hour. To get it pulled (hopefully)

Today is the last day of school so we're at Round Table (not my choice) for pizza. On the upside, they have a fun Wild West video game from the days of yore, so I played my first video game in a long while.
20190611_124556.jpg

Addendum: It'd been a while so we went up to check on the order. Turns out they somehow forgot to make our food so they gave us back our money and we're eating for free.

Last edited:
Welp. My dad got admitted to hospital with a chest infection last night. He was on oxygen and assisted breathing for a couple of hours, then the focus switched to his kidneys which may be in the process of shutting down because he stressed them badly by letting himself get dehydrated on a daily basis for the last month.

Keeping my fingers crossed for him.

Yes, I hope everything goes well, I can't imagine the stress and worry you must be going through

Welp. My dad got admitted to hospital with a chest infection last night. He was on oxygen and assisted breathing for a couple of hours, then the focus switched to his kidneys which may be in the process of shutting down because he stressed them badly by letting himself get dehydrated on a daily basis for the last month.

So sorry to hear this please! I hope he's doing better soon.

Shit that sucks. I went through some rough stuff with my dad recently and he pulled through (they gave him about 3 weeks to live a year ago, he's completely stable now), so don't lose hope, anything can always happen.

Hope he recovers fully and soon.

‘sup everyone, long time no see.

Been dealing with some mild distress — a combination of political malaise (can’t comment on that here), workplace frustration (coming to grips with some unsolvable limitations) and lack of physical exercise (I should know better, but I’ve been working long hours and I have a 2yo) — but nothing too bad.

Bad enough, though, that I haven’t read a single line of MoN since promising to run it, a month ago. I still do have a couple of weeks, though, to get better acquainted with Chapter One.

On the plus side, my kid rocks.

Today my son added me to a google doc where he was making an rpg. He did not consult with me, brief me, or mention a desire. He has a “master” which I think is the game master, a witch, a rifleman, and a shotgunner. I asked him where it takes place he said on a prairie. My assumption is that it is deadlands now.

Today my son added me to a google doc where he was making an rpg. He did not consult with me, brief me, or mention a desire. He has a “master” which I think is the game master, a witch, a rifleman, and a shotgunner. I asked him where it takes place he said on a prairie. My assumption is that it is deadlands now.
Is it using Mythras?

Is it using Mythras?
currently systemless. i've been thinking about how it might work. debating a very stripped d100 base or a 2d6 base. he's quite solid at math, so it won't be a difficult

Game was a success! Thus far, the turnout at my public games has just been my friends and occasionally friends-of-friends, but tonight, two total strangers came, and they both had a good time! I'm always a little insecure about running a public game, so I feel really good about tonight.

I’ve been at my company for 20 years as of last Saturday. Today, I am so mad I have reached out to a couple of others who left the company and am seriously looking to leave. I am so mad and have been so tense for the last 6 hours that when my wife and kid finally broke my mood I almost took a nap in exhaustion.

I’ve been at my company for 20 years as of last Saturday. Today, I am so mad I have reached out to a couple of others who left the company and am seriously looking to leave. I am so mad and have been so tense for the last 6 hours that when my wife and kid finally broke my mood I almost took a nap in exhaustion.
Time to move on. It's harder the longer you stay but definitely sounds like you're in a bad relationship. The good days there are behind you.

Time to move on. It's harder the longer you stay but definitely sounds like you're in a bad relationship. The good days there are behind you.
i don't know that it's a bad relationship, but there is something broken that's not being fixed. a lot of short term solutions and not a lot of long term anything.

i am having lunch friday with one of the people I reached out to, and will get a feel. genuinely, there is some work i still want to do where I am at, but I've been expressing a desire to leave one part of my job for a year, and there has been no move to replace me. i spoke to my manager and said "nope, done, really" and "oh, that's not what i've heard" was the response. different communication styles aside, a person doesn't lead every one on one with the same topic if they are just bitching, and its in their vested interest to NOT have me out of this role.

largely I think I've lost faith in this person having my best interests at heart, and I think that will be the next conversation. "you think you know best and are willing ti inflict that on others" isn't a good model for managing careers. what's worse - I actually like working with this person outside of this role, and I think they've not done the worst job in this role. But there is a key facet of the personality type (for those of you familiar with Social Styles - Expressive Driver) that just eliminates thinking outside their focus. I work with WAY more of them than you might expect, and I'm a pretty fair expert on the type. I like them, I like working on work with them, but the people skills leave much to be desired.

Got a call from the hospital this morning to say my father had had a hypoxic hallucination and attacked a doctor and nurse, believing he was on a nuclear readiness exercise from his army days. He regained his normal mental state after they got him back on supplemental oxygen. I sat with him and watched him get weaker throughout the day. This is a major setback and I've started calling family to prepare them.

And now Dad appears to be on the mend again. I'm glad. Also exhausted. Thanks for being the distraction I need, Pub.

No problem. It was for me too. A lot of that going around on here.

We're at that age. It certainly has been a very big gut-check for me. I never had what people would call a "good" relationship with my father. We were largely estranged for decades.

But when I "got the call" - I came. I drove like a madman to the middle of *nowhere*... my father had so isolated himself, he *lived* between Death Valley and Area 51. No shit. If I saw a guy in a black-on-black Ford Falcon being chased by a horde of fire-breathing-electric guitar wailing monster-trucks and grenade-tipped spear tossing mohawk bikers, hurtling across the desert in the distance... I would have oddly said "Yep."

I made it in time. And without going into details, we had our moment. Me and my two siblings and the old bastard warhorse, in the middle of nowhere, under the stars - we made our peace. I figure if I can have that with him - there are no problems that can't be undone. Just make it happen.

Which is why it should put into focus the importance of loving those around us that we *really* care about. Don't take it for granted etc. etc. We've all heard it before. But when you go through this - even the close calls (especially the close calls) you know *exactly* why it's important and why we shouldn't take them for granted.

So we don't. For those going through this, I'm with you all.

Yeah, I'm a bit younger than most people here, but my dad was older when I was born (45), so he's in his 80s now. He actually has a rare type of fungal infection that literally just doesn't happen to people who weren't immunosuppressed even though he isn't immunosuppressed.

So he is this super rare case that they've never seen before, so no one has any idea what will happen. Right now the medicines have it in a holding pattern where it isn't getting worse or better, but normally if you catch this, you die in like 3 weeks max.

Right now he's doing fine. He's renovating his house still, cause he is the most unstoppable person I've ever met. But like, we know that any day it could flare up and he would be dead in a matter of days. I'm glad I always had a great relationship with my dad though. He's honestly the best person I've ever known.

Right now he's doing fine. He's renovating his house still, cause he is the most unstoppable person I've ever met. But like, we know that any day it could flare up and he would be dead in a matter of days. I'm glad I always had a great relationship with my dad though. He's honestly the best person I've ever known.
Good luck to your dad. Sounds like he's a tough fella for his age, and that'll make his chances much better.

Just trying to get my apartment clean (especially the bathrooms) before my parents fly in to visit on Tuesday. I've been meaning to clean the bathrooms for weeks, but between laziness, capital-d Depression, and genuine busy-ness, I just haven't gotten to it. Looks like today is the day. It's not even that hard & doesn't even take that long, but for some reason I have a hell of a time actually buckling down and getting it done.

Do it in sections. The sink one day. The toilet the next, the tub, and then the floor. It’ll be spic and span in no time.

Just trying to get my apartment clean (especially the bathrooms) before my parents fly in to visit on Tuesday. I've been meaning to clean the bathrooms for weeks, but between laziness, capital-d Depression, and genuine busy-ness, I just haven't gotten to it. Looks like today is the day. It's not even that hard & doesn't even take that long, but for some reason I have a hell of a time actually buckling down and getting it done.
If feasible, you could always pay a cleaning service to do it for you. My wife and I are so busy during the week, the last thing we want to spend weekend and holiday time on is housecleaning so we have a service come once a month. We started after having our second baby. Obviously we still have small jobs to do in between their visits, but they get to scrub toilets and dust shelves and other tedious maintenance jobs. Sometimes they have special "try us" rates. Our service is fairly inexpensive due to so much competition in the region, and well worth it compared to the personal time we'd lose if we did the job ourselves. Just don't sign any contracts!

Thanks for the suggestions, folks!

I've actually made major progress since my post of two hours ago. Guest bathroom is done except for the floor, and master bathroom is done except for the shower & floor.

Time to take a shower & head to my local for lunch & a Bloody Maria (like a Bloody Mary, but made with tequila instead of vodka).

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back