Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
You might have to turn on developer options first. Do a web search for your OS version and it might give you a good answer.
Dude, I did it! Finally I transferred all these pics that had been sitting on my phone since late November. Here ya go:

Dude, I did it! Finally I transferred all these pics that had been sitting on my phone since late November. Here ya go:

View attachment 10129
Was developer options the trick? If so it's good to know for future reference. If not what was the missing link?

I had a fucking Alabama moment.

Yesterday I was in a bar and saw this astoundingly beautiful woman. Chatted with her and went to her place. Turned out that my grandfather and her grandfather are twins! I hate this. I actually fell for her...

Anybody know what kind of paint would set well on little plastic luchador dolls?

you'll want to scrub them with Dettoll, first, then use a sandable auto primer. After that, dollar store acrylics will work fine(Appletree, available at Walmart, seems to be the cheap brand of choice).

But as you'll want to play with them, when you're done painting I recommend a clear wood varnish to keep the paint from rubbing off, letting it dry for at least 48 hours before handling.

you'll want to scrub them with Dettoll, first, then use a sandable auto primer. After that, dollar store acrylics will work fine(Appletree, available at Walmart, seems to be the cheap brand of choice).

But as you'll want to play with them, when you're done painting I recommend a clear wood varnish to keep the paint from rubbing off, letting it dry for at least 48 hours before handling.

Future floor polish actually is a great acrylic clear coat. I've used it on plastic models for years. Very tough, cheap and if you screw it up (cat hair, dust, glue boogers etc), it can be removed with ammonia based window cleaner.

Yesterday I was in a bar and saw this astoundingly beautiful woman. Chatted with her and went to her place. Turned out that my grandfather and her grandfather are twins! I hate this. I actually fell for her...
Wow
Just wow.

Future floor polish actually is a great acrylic clear coat. I've used it on plastic models for years. Very tough, cheap and if you screw it up (cat hair, dust, glue boogers etc), it can be removed with ammonia based window cleaner.

Indeed! Future is multi-purpose, also fantastic for making ink washes

So you are second cousins then.

It’s legal in all 50 states.

:hehe:

We are using the same Weber charcoal grill that my wife owned before we met. It must be 20 years old and doesn’t have any rust. Weber is quality.
I hope so. Up until now I've been buying the cheapest grill about every three years and tossing it due to rust or poor performance. This one was quite a bit more money. It needs to last nine years.

Finally got a Weber. Not as classic as what you're talking about but a big step up for the Bunch Family.
It doesn't have to be any more complicated than that. The PK isn't really more complicated, either; the big attraction for me was not having to buy another grill ever again.
I was picturing this. (NSFW is "David Lynch" wasn't enough of a clue)
That was only one time, and proof that things don't always go as you planned. Sometimes, you get a little rain. Sometimes, a fun summer BBQ turns into an exploration of the dark underbelly of the American psyche.
We are using the same Weber charcoal grill that my wife owned before we met. It must be 20 years old and doesn’t have any rust. Weber is quality.
I've used other brands, but I chalk it up more to my laziness of sometimes not getting them covered in time.

Was developer options the trick? If so it's good to know for future reference. If not what was the missing link?
Yes it was. I had to tap "MIUI Version" a number of times repeatedly. Very strange. Is this common nowadays?

Dumarest Dumarest here ya go:

And we also got these three posable action figures. These are larger. El Santo (left) and La Parka Jr. (right) were bought in Oaxaca, Blue Demon (middle) was bought in Mexico City. It's possible that El Santo is actually El Hijo del Santo; I am not up on the minutiae of the iconography that might distinguish them. Blue Demon might also be Blue Demon Jr.

Last edited:
I hope so. Up until now I've been buying the cheapest grill about every three years and tossing it due to rust or poor performance. This one was quite a bit more money. It needs to last nine years.

That should be no problem, they also sell replacement parts allowing you to spruce up an older grill much cheaper than new.

We went through several "cheap" ($100-200) gas grills, then about 10 years ago bought the bottom level Weber which was around $400 then. It was showing its age, so I was going to replace it last year. Now the entry level is around $600-700. The shell was still in good shape so for a little over $100 I was able to replace all the guts, burner, grates etc and it works like a new grill again. Actually better than new, because the new grates are cast iron instead of the stamped steel ones it originally came with.

It lives out doors, no cover and was subject to snow for at least 4 years of its life. You would have to live in a pretty harsh environment to give your grill a worse set of conditions, 9 years shouldn't be an issue.

Dumarest Dumarest OK, the wrestlers depicted in my book do appear to be on a different level regarding painting and additional decoration, but the moulds used are the same. If I ever come across a set painted as nicely as these I'm going to leave them in their packaging while on display.

I wouldn't care. But I have no wish to procreate.

Yes it was. I had to tap "MIUI Version" a number of times repeatedly. Very strange. Is this common nowadays?

Dumarest Dumarest here ya go:

View attachment 10139

View attachment 10140
And we also got these three posable action figures. These are larger. El Santo (left) and La Parka Jr. (right) were bought in Oaxaca, Blue Demon (middle) was bought in Mexico City. It's possible that El Santo is actually El Hijo del Santo; I am not up on the minutiae of the iconography that might distinguish them. Blue Demon might also be Blue Demon Jr.
Dumarest Dumarest OK, the wrestlers depicted in my book do appear to be on a different level regarding painting and additional decoration, but the moulds used are the same. If I ever come across a set painted as nicely as these I'm going to leave them in their packaging while on display.

View attachment 10141
Ha ha--I was wondering why you talking about them that way--mine are not even close to that quality. If mine looked like those, I wouldn't need to paint them! Now you know why mine came from a street vendor in a Ziploc bag of six with no frills, sloppy paint, cheap plastic capes, for something like $2 for all six...and why I have 24 of them! Got them, I believe, on the same visit when I acquired this:
20190622_083927.jpg
Pooh and Piglet happily preside over the Mexico/Alta California-themed dining room en mi casa from their perch a few feet away from other thematically appropriate art including this classic poster:
Mexico-Land-of-Tropical-Splendor-Poster-1940s.jpg

I would love to get those sharp-looking luchador dolls, particularly El Santo, Blue Demon, Mil Máscaras, Tinieblas, Superzán, Huracán Ramírez, Neutrón, and El Rayo de Jalisco. But then again, I might be worried about damaging them so maybe it's better that I have cheapo ones in quadruplicate.

Dammit, now I really want to play a luchador RPG. :irritated:

Had a couple of fillings today, not great when combined with cough-induced asthma and a hacking cough that has lasted for over 2 weeks. Still it's all over now and my tooth, which didn't really hurt beforehand, now throbs like anything.

So you are second cousins then.

Yeah, second cousins are hardly even related.

It needs to be the great grandparents being the siblings for it to be second cousins.

Not how I understand it. First cousins share grandparents, Second Cousins share great--grandparents. Great-Grandparents being siblings makes you Third Cousins.

Dumarest Dumarest Well, you saw now that I have more or less the same type of badly-painted luchador figurines as you. Still, both our sets are all from the same moulds as the more nicely painted and decorated ones in the book. If they're hand-painted, and I think they may be, that still makes them folk art, just very poorly executed folk art. Not the kind that would make it into a professional collection of folk art objects like the ones in the book.

The three 5.5" action figures with three points of articulation are of a type not often encountered, at least not in markets. We really had to look for them. Usually, in markets, you see action figures more like these, which I don't like so much:

luchadores-patones-D_NQ_NP_726576-MLM28583928530_112018-F.jpg

That said, we haven't traveled far north from Mexico City. They may be more common there, or even across the US border.

By the way, I love your classic poster. Not so fond of the Pooh and Piglet thing.

Not how I understand it. First cousins share grandparents, Second Cousins share great--grandparents. Great-Grandparents being siblings makes you Third Cousins.
Yeah! You're correct. I'm apparently too tired, so I fumbled my "trying to think" roll. :tongue:

Pooh and Piglet happily preside over the Mexico/Alta California-themed dining room en mi casa from their perch a few feet away from other thematically appropriate art including this classic poster:
Just a few weeks ago I ate at a Mexican restaurant that had that poster hanging. Chicken with mole sauce. Very tasty.

06d99ea0170a4eddd4198f653e27b15c.jpg
I'm wearing my Batmanuel T-shirt, eating fish tacos from a hole-in-the-wall restaurant and fresh cherries and a nectarine from a barrio roadside vendor, and watching a Santo movie while I fold laundry...CHICANO POWER! :wink:
20190623_121505.jpg
Ha, just noticed undercover Latina Lynda Carter (born Linda Jean Córdova Carter) is in the background as well!

Passed by a yard sale today, stopped in on a whim, not exactly expecting much of interest.

Picked up, for a buck a pop, not only a bunch of Time-Life 'Time Capsule' books, but also scored a copy of Villains & Vigilantes (2nd edition) and about a dozen adventure modules for said system. The latter I especially would have never expected to see here in Butthole, GA.

Passed by a yard sale today, stopped in on a whim, not exactly expecting much of interest.

Picked up, for a buck a pop, not only a bunch of Time-Life 'Time Capsule' books, but also scored a copy of Villains & Vigilantes (2nd edition) and about a dozen adventure modules for said system. The latter I especially would have never expected to see here in Butthole, GA.
Have you ever played V&V? I'd kind of like to try it out again. Last time I played was maybe 2013 or 2014 but the session went awry as one of the players was a guy I'd never met before and even though I discussed expectations and genre conventions before we started, he then utterly disregarded everything we'd all agreed to: Bronze Age Marvel ideals, heroes are essentially good even if flawed, etc. It was an impromptu pickup game at a public venue with a couple of guys I knew plus a guy and a gal who asked to play when they saw I had the game and a scenario prepped. I still have the scenario ready to go. Maybe someday I'll get to use it without a jackass at the table. :tongue:

Nope, never had a copy or had a chance to play it before today. Played a little bit of MSH back in the day, and more recently used the Batman game to run a campaign, which is pretty much the extent of my face-to-face superhero gaming.

The 7 moles of Oaxaca:
mancha manteles
mole amarillo
mole chichilo
mole coloradito
mole colorado
mole negro
mole verde

Other moles:
mole poblano - from Puebla
mole almendrado - from San Pedro Atocpan
mole amarillito - from the southeast
mole coloradito - from the Valle de México, different from the Oaxacan one
mole prieto - from Tlaxcala
mole ranchero - from Morelos
mole rosa - from Taxco
mole blanco
guacamole
pipián verde
pipián rojo

My guess is you either had mole negro or mole poblano since these are the most well-known and most commonly served, and because you mentioned chocolate.

Shit, now I am hungry...

Last edited:
I started fasting Thursday night. I pulled a muscle in my back because, I never do anything on Easy Mode. Day two, it got bad. Every breath was pain, every movement was like someone poking me in the lower side with a knife. And that hunger.... gnawing. But hey! let's make it Impossible Mode... Allergy Attaaaaaaaaack!!!!

Lots of meditation. I rubbed CBD on my back (took the edge off -but still hurt). Neighbors were BBQing for what seemed to be 48-hrs straight to torment me.

Around Day three the hunger the stopped. Allergy meds were making me feel woozy as hell. I'm not sure if the hunger, the pain, or psychological stress of all of the above had anything to do with it, but the thought of eating my toothpaste seemed like a *really* good idea. I didn't. But the taste of it was glorious. I even *dreamed* of being at a party and food was everywhere, I grabbed some coldcuts with my hand and stopped! I'm fasting! I can't even EAT in my dreams!!! WTF. I woke up and drank a glass of saltwater as penance and to replace my electrolytes. I was out of Brawndo.

I'm into day four. I have 12-oz steak waiting for me at the dinner finish-line. I feel great. Mind is sharp. Like the fucking pain in my back. Allergies are raging - and sure I want to burn down all of TX in order to get rid of the mountain cedar everywhere... I almost would rather fuck my cousin than do all this.

Almost.

Going to see the Rolling Stones tonight. I predict they will end the show with a version of "Satisfaction" that is at least ten minutes long. Truthfully, I'm not that much of a Rolling Stones fan, but my best friend is a huge fan, so when he suggested we go, I said sure.

Well, I was wrong... they ended with a seven minute version of Satisfaction :grin:. The show was excellent, certainly better than I expected. Even though we paid $230 US a pop for not-great seats, I feel like I got my money's worth and would go again.

I've never seen a FLGS with so much space.
My FLGS leases a clubhouse next door. For $3 you can game from 12pm-12am. They provide dozens of house games in case you want to check out that $100 board game before you buy it. A lot of guys show up to to just chill and paint/model miniatures. It's a pretty good deal and walking distance from my house so I can't complain. I just wish there were more couples who gamed.

Ooh, sounds good. Which game was that? AS&SH?
AS&SH setting, OSR-style 5e rules.

Got my PowerA Pro Controller substitute today-- no wireless and no rumble, but those are my least favorite features of "real" controllers.

Today should be starting my testosterone replacement. This shit is going to make me a goddamned Sexual Tyrannosaurus.

Got my PowerA Pro Controller substitute today-- no wireless and no rumble, but those are my least favorite features of "real" controllers.

Today should be starting my testosterone replacement. This shit is going to make me a goddamned Sexual Tyrannosaurus.
Hehe. My friend is on testosterone replacement therapy. Apparently he has very low testosterone. One side effect was I guess random estrogen boosts. He described a day where for no reason he couldn't stop crying. His wife said 'Now you have a clue why that happens to me sometimes!'

We don't discuss his sex life so I have no clue how that's gonna turn out for you. Except I hope it makes you and your partner very happy.

Today marks my ninth week of working with a personal trainer towards my fitness goals. Over the weekend, I saw my mom for the first time in a couple months, and she observed that my arms are bigger. At first I just assumed she was looking through Mom-colored glasses, but the t-shirt I put on this morning is one I haven't worn in a while, and the arms are tight now. The arms were not tight before I started training. So I guess my Mom was onto something.

Becoming more visibly muscular is not one of my fitness goals, but I'm certainly not opposed to it as a side effect of working towards my actual goals.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back