Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I know I left everyone in suspense with my last post. You are wondering: with the new grill, did Edgewise properly honor the gods with Meat and Fire, or did he bring shame to his House? Fortunately, my clan stands proud. If anything, the steaks were a little rare, but this only made them more decadently delicious.

I basically followed this technique (it works):

Here's what's next on my agenda:

One day, I'll work up to pork. Apparently you need to be an actual wizard to make ribs with competence.

Tomorrow morning I get on an airplane headed for Portugal. By Thursday I’ll be on the Franco-Spanish border walking El Camino de Santiago (French route), a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. Should be a fun time with temperatures heading over 40 C (104 F) in the area.

Oh, and on a previous discussion, in Sweden (like in most of the world including most of the US) first cousin marriage is perfectly legal. A bit unusual but I knew a guy in high school whose parents were first cousins. You need special dispensation to marry a half-sibling (which pretty much requires never having met each other until adulthood) and I think the social stigma there would be massive.

In Irish the words for first cousin, second cousin etc are literally phrases translating to their blood seperation and the consequent level of incest taboo breaking according to catholic law.

"Second Cousin" is literally "Sectet Prohibition", first cousin is "Quartet Prohibition". So it's sort of counting down the level of incest.

You can't say cousin without saying incest!

Today marks my ninth week of working with a personal trainer towards my fitness goals. Over the weekend, I saw my mom for the first time in a couple months, and she observed that my arms are bigger. At first I just assumed she was looking through Mom-colored glasses, but the t-shirt I put on this morning is one I haven't worn in a while, and the arms are tight now. The arms were not tight before I started training. So I guess my Mom was onto something.

Becoming more visibly muscular is not one of my fitness goals, but I'm certainly not opposed to it as a side effect of working towards my actual goals.
I had a personal trainer for a while. His first question was "What's your goal?". I said "To not die too young.". I don't think that was a common response. I explained i hate exercise. I'm doing it so I don't die due to everything else I may not be doing right and to improve the odds of quality of life when I'm older.

In Irish the words for first cousin, second cousin etc are literally phrases translating to their blood seperation and the consequent level of incest taboo breaking according to catholic law.

"Second Cousin" is literally "Sectet Prohibition", first cousin is "Quartet Prohibition". So it's sort of counting down the level of incest.

You can't say cousin without saying incest!
Jesus that's bad! Reminds me of the SNL Irish dating game sketch!

I had a personal trainer for a while. His first question was "What's your goal?". I said "To not die too young.". I don't think that was a common response. I explained i hate exercise. I'm doing it so I don't die due to everything else I may not be doing right and to improve the odds of quality of life when I'm older.

That's a good goal!

My goal is to lose my beer belly without giving up beer, haha! Only semi-joking.

I really do want to lose my beer-and-soda belly, which yeah, does involve cutting back on beer and soda, so that I can fit into my old size M t-shirts rather than my current XLs. Also, I was starting to have back pain from hauling this big belly around wherever I go. Still have the belly for now, but my back is a lot stronger from training, so the back pain is mostly gone.

That's a good goal!

My goal is to lose my beer belly without giving up beer, haha! Only semi-joking.

I really do want to lose my beer-and-soda belly, which yeah, does involve cutting back on beer and soda, so that I can fit into my old size M t-shirts rather than my current XLs. Also, I was starting to have back pain from hauling this big belly around wherever I go. Still have the belly for now, but my back is a lot stronger from training, so the back pain is mostly gone.
Sadly this is a truism at my age. Weight loss is achieved by putting less in. Health is achieved by working out. You can rarely lose weight by working out more.

I have some great personal news.

My wife and I put in an offer on a house today and the sellers accepted our offer. My wife found the house online a few days ago when it went on the market and we went to an open house on Saturday. It checked off all the boxes for what we wanted. We went back on Sunday and took our daughter and my mother-in-law to look. She is going to be moving in with us. We are super stoked. We have to sell our place, but the market is good. We are set to move in September if all goes as planned.

I don't know another language that literally has incest in the phrase, but the taboo is behind many kinship systems. Cool video here:

Kinda makes you wonder what the Irish were getting up to in those peat bogs that they felt the need to put warning labels into their descriptors of relatives...hmm...:eat:

Kinda makes you wonder what the Irish were getting up to in those peat bogs that they felt the need to put warning labels into their descriptors of relatives...hmm...:eat:
Watch the SNL skit on Irish Dating Shows.

Iceland has an app that tells you whether someone you meet is too closely related to you. With a population of only a few hundred thousand on a small island, probably a good idea.

I was the exact opposite. My in-laws ****hated me****. Didn't speak my name for over a decade, wouldn't even consider talking to me. I finally won dad over a game a chess, and a discussion of military history (he was a Marine Colonel).

After I whooped his ass in chess, he decided I was "alright, after all". Plus he liked my appreciation of Von Clausewitz. I mean... who doesn't like Clausewitz?

If that made him change his mind, then his initial dislike must have been for the most shallow of reasons.

In order: I'm half-Asian, Non-Christian, son of an NCO Marine as opposed to a proper Marine officer. Yep. Pretty shallow. But I won them over in the end...

...with my Far-East dark magic ways. MUAHAHAHAH!

I wish my wife and my family got along better. Makes holidays just the suck for me.

Played Risk two player with my oldest son (7). Surprisingly fast as a two player game.
I haven't played Risk in a while, how are the rules for a seven year old complexity wise would you say?

I haven't played Risk in a while, how are the rules for a seven year old complexity wise would you say?
Not too bad. Fortification rules cause confusion occasionally because the chains can be tricky to follow if you allow more than one country moves.

Map size and unit type can be an issue. My son doesn't always see the difference between a five unit army and a single unit. Things no adult would have issues with. Sets can be a little confusing but our games rarely last long enough to make it a big issue.

Two player is pretty fast paced since there is no downtime.

CtKJtyjWAAAoD9u.jpg

Gonna start walking through the Pyrenees tomorrow. Loaded up on water and sunscreen, but this still seems a bit daunting in this heat (for anyone who doesn’t know Celsius, that is about 108 Fahrenheit).

You know you've become a regular at your local when you go in on Tuesday night and the bartender asks why you were not there on Friday night...
It could be worse. You could go and have a server say "You had the burger yesterday. Want the fish today because tomorrow is taco night?"

It could be worse. You could go and have a server say "You had the burger yesterday. Want the fish today because tomorrow is taco night?"
A guy I knew in high-school equivalent (a friend’s brother) would call a pizza/kebab place, say “the usual to my place” and then hang up. They knew exactly who he was, what he wanted and where he lived and would deliver immediately. When my friend, the guy’s brother, would order, they’d get to his surname, then go “we’re on our way”, and the food would show up fifteen minutes later.

A guy I knew in high-school equivalent (a friend’s brother) would call a pizza/kebab place, say “the usual to my place” and then hang up. They knew exactly who he was, what he wanted and where he lived and would deliver immediately. When my friend, the guy’s brother, would order, they’d get to his surname, then go “we’re on our way”, and the food would show up fifteen minutes later.
Before marriage I was that guy. I'm pretty damn regular and predictable. I've learned it's pretty common for guys. In college I had a older returning student in my group. His bar missed him so much they sent him a Thanksgiving cooked turkey he just had to reheat.

(...)

Gonna start walking through the Pyrenees tomorrow. Loaded up on water and sunscreen, but this still seems a bit daunting in this heat (for anyone who doesn’t know Celsius, that is about 108 Fahrenheit).
I comepletely shut down when temperatures get near 30 degrees Celsius. At 40 I would be dead for all practical purposes. It depends a bit on the humidity how uncomfortable it gets. Here in the Netherlands it's usually humid so everything gets sticky when it's warm, which I really hate. It was 30+ yesterday and the day before that. Today it has fortunately cooled off noticeably.

Last year we had a heat wave where it got to 36 degrees and was extremely dry. That was less uncomfortable humidity-wise, because your sweat evaporates more easily and doesn't stick to your skin so much. The temperatures were exceptional, however, and I was still mostly non-active. The worst thing is, our house has no insulation to speak of, so all we can do is open all windows and hope for a little breeze to offer some ventilation. We have a fan but that's all.

We were regulars at a bar for a while where the moment we walked in the bartender would put drinks in front of us without us having spoken a word yet.

I comepletely shut down when temperatures get near 30 degrees Celsius. At 40 I would be dead for all practical purposes. It depends a bit on the humidity how uncomfortable it gets. Here in the Netherlands it's usually humid so everything gets sticky when it's warm, which I really hate. Last year we had a heat wave where it got to 36 degrees and was extremely dry. That was less uncomfortable humidity-wise, though the temperatures were exceptional and I was still mostly non-active. The worst thing is, our house has no insulation to speak of, so all we can do is open all windows and hope for a little breeze to offer some ventilation.

We were regulars at a bar for a while where the moment we walked in the bartender would put drinks in front of us without us having spoken a word yet.
Looks like you’re being spared the current heatwave there. Hope it doesn’t spread there. Southern Europe is basically a suburb of hell right now.

Wow man, fair play, I'd die in that kind of heat. Keep us updated as you progress!

Looks like you’re being spared the current heatwave there. Hope it doesn’t spread there. Southern Europe is basically a suburb of hell right now.
For now it looks like all we're gonna have is a little heat spasm on Saturday.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back