Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Gonna start walking through the Pyrenees tomorrow. Loaded up on water and sunscreen, but this still seems a bit daunting in this heat (for anyone who doesn’t know Celsius, that is about 108 Fahrenheit).

Mother of Glorb, doesn't the Platonic Ideal of numbers melt at that temperature?

A cool 33 C (91,4 F) here in the evening. Wine and food makes everything better/tolerable. Soon it is time to settle in for the night. Tomorrow it’s 27 km distance, about one km up. Probably 107 degree heat. It’s dark. We’re wearing sunglasses.

I’m from Scandinavia, so it’s not like I’m used to this kind of heat either. But I’m still alive so far.
Lucky. My TV viewing leads me to conclude that Scandanavia is permanently snow-bound and full of murderers.

(The in-laws love Wallander movies. Mum-in-law has a Swedish penpal who sends her DVDs.)

A cool 33 C
vcLHFIO.gif

So, just letting everyone know that I survived. Made it over the Pyrenees in 90-degree weather (so slightly cooler than yesterday) wearing sandals. The romans would have been proud. I walked the Roncesvalles pass and am now in Roncesvalles. This is where Roland, paladin of Charlemagne, is said to have died in a rearguard after an ambush.

I went to a charity event last night and I got mistaken for a drag queen. I'm not quite sure why - maybe the 6" platform heels I was tottering about on and the ridiculous amount of glittery blue eyeshadow, who knows - but it was an interesting experience. I certainly can't sing, or dance, or... anything vaguely artistic.

Tomorrow I fly to the Seattle area to visit my parents and brother for a week. I'm sort of nervous- not about flying; flying doesn't scare me at all, I just find it very boring. I guess I'm nervous because I have not been back there in a little over 1.5 years. Probably hasn't changed much, but it's just... not a place I'm used to anymore.

Tomorrow I fly to the Seattle area to visit my parents and brother for a week. I'm sort of nervous- not about flying; flying doesn't scare me at all, I just find it very boring. I guess I'm nervous because I have not been back there in a little over 1.5 years. Probably hasn't changed much, but it's just... not a place I'm used to anymore.
I live right near there and South lake Union has changed sooo much.

My family lives in the 'burbs, but we will be doing some stuff on the waterfront (anniversary dinner for my folks @ Anthony's for one thing). It will be interesting to see how things have changed.

I moved away 12 years ago and haven't really been back very much.

I like Seattle but I haven’t been back there in many years.

My family lives in the 'burbs, but we will be doing some stuff on the waterfront (anniversary dinner for my folks @ Anthony's for one thing). It will be interesting to see how things have changed.

I moved away 12 years ago and haven't really been back very much.
Which burbs? I grew up in one of the southern burbs, Federal Way.

Two of my BFFs are from Federal Way!

My folks live in Kent. Actually when I was growing up, the area where they live was technically unincorporated King County just east of Kent, although we did have a Kent mailing address. Sometime in the past decade, their area got annexed into the actual city of Kent.

Seen at the San Diego County Fair:
img_8839-1.jpg
img_8840-1.jpg
20190629_121445.jpg
20190629_124741.jpg
20190629_152106.jpg
20190629_134949.jpg
20190629_135350.jpg
20190629_123203.jpg
Didn't get any photos from the Frank L. Baum presentations in the exhibit hall, livestock show, pig races, and carnival rides and games as I was too busy enjoying them with the family. Tons of things to see and do! A thousand ways to throw away your money!

Last night we went to a Greek festival. We're lucky enough to live in a part of Southern California that has something like this going on just about every weekend. This morning I took Mrs. Savage to a French-style cafe and bakery (that is run by Koreans) where we had coffee and shared a piece of blueberry chiffon cake (cheat day). She wants to learn how to paint miniatures and I think I sold her on Sisters of Battle because she likes the "fetish battle nuns in power armor" aesthetic.

Seen at the San Diego County Fair:
Didn't get any photos from the Frank L. Baum presentations in the exhibit hall, livestock show, pig races, and carnival rides and games as I was too busy enjoying them with the family. Tons of things to see and do! A thousand ways to throw away your money!
Tell me you bought the kids and yourself Luchadore masks! :grin:

Tell me you bought the kids and yourself Luchadore masks! :grin:
Nah, they wanted $20 for kid sizes and $35 for adults. I could get them far cheaper in Tijuana. I spent plenty of money on other overpriced souvenirs for the kids, plus games and rides and expensive food.

Had a kind of goofy day. The wife and I watched my nephews (1 1/2, and a 3 1/2 year old) while her sister and our brother in law golfed. Which went ok. They offered to take us to dinner afterward. We went to the local pub a couple blocks away. Brother in law seemed fine a the house. As I followed him to the pub. I could tell he was a bit buzzed. When we got sat down at a table I could tell he was really buzzed. Before we left he almost dropped his youngest and almost dumped to the table over. In the process of that,managed to dump a tequila sunrise, and a glass of water on my leg. Suffice to say, her sister drove them home.

I just spent all day putting together pieces of furniture for my mother while running an old anime favorite in the background (Martian Successor: Nadesico), because I was the one child that never moved very far away, so that means every time she needs something she calls me.

I mean, I love my mother, but she buys new furniture and rearranges her furniture more than any person I've ever met.

My dad had a stroke back in December, so I'm headed to Tennessee again to help for a few days. Me and my siblings are rotating in and out. Luckily my parents had a lot of kids, but unlucky in that they spread way the hell out.

Man, air travel use to be so cool. Now, I'm surprised there aren't either chickens running around the airport or cyberpunk street gangs. Chickens or gangers, one or the other.

I'm 6 foot and 250 pounds, they are not designed for me either.

I just remember a time when it was a shining example in the transportation industry. Glory days. Next time, I'll take a few days to drive the 20+ hours.

Four-day weekend for me and the kids. We went to Home Depot to get some clay pots for our tomatoes (hidden in a shady corner so the sun doesn't fry them). The Flying Kiss magenta roses will need to be transplanted into the earth when I get a chance. Working on the front walkway is always fun. There are ceramic gnomes and squirrels and other critters, solar-powered rainbow lights on either side, windchimes, decorative hummingbirds and butterflies, birdfeeders, etc., although the angle might hide some of them. Everything you see we did ourselves. Work in progress:
20190705_145924.jpg
20190705_145908.jpg

I’ve been getting high off of paint fumes the last few days getting the condo ready to sell. The place is a mess, getting it decluttered as well. You learn what you can live with and what you can toss pretty quickly.

I’ve been getting high off of paint fumes the last few days getting the condo ready to sell. The place is a mess, getting it decluttered as well. You learn what you can live with and what you can toss pretty quickly.
And when you're high out of your mind throwing stuff away is easy! Crap, sentimental knick knacks, valuables, children, wife....

Currently getting my father's house ready for sale while he's in private elder care. My bro-in-law is handling the garage and storage room, the two ladies are dealing with the house and I'm cleaning up the yard. I'm starting to think I drew the short straw. My mother had an eccentric habit of hiding things among the plants and woodpiles. I've removed:
  • broken crockery
  • beer and wine glasses
  • a full set of cast-iron cookware
  • two dozen random metal poles
  • a spring mattress
  • a foam mattress
  • enough cinderblocks to stack as tall as me
  • carpet
  • some of my dad's old underwear(!)
  • aluminium guttering
  • paint tins
  • furniture
  • particleboard
...and I think I'm about a third done.

Currently getting my father's house ready for sale while he's in private elder care. My bro-in-law is handling the garage and storage room, the two ladies are dealing with the house and I'm cleaning up the yard. I'm starting to think I drew the short straw. My mother had an eccentric habit of hiding things among the plants and woodpiles. I've removed:
  • broken crockery
  • beer and wine glasses
  • a full set of cast-iron cookware
  • two dozen random metal poles
  • a spring mattress
  • a foam mattress
  • enough cinderblocks to stack as tall as me
  • carpet
  • some of my dad's old underwear(!)
  • aluminium guttering
  • paint tins
  • furniture
  • particleboard
...and I think I'm about a third done.
Someone hides cast-iron cookware out among the plants:shock:?

Never again could I refuse a player's request to roll on the Scavenging Table!

Someone hides cast-iron cookware out among the plants:shock:?
Exactly what I thought, especially seeing what cast-iron pans and skillets go for on the local auction site. Brother-in-law took it home with him to see if he can clean it up with his electrolyser.

Did I mention the aluminium guttering Mum dragged home from someone else's lawn because it would look good as a planter? Which she never used, so it ended up hidden in the wood pile? I'm getting seriously annoyed with her. Once a year the city will haul away any solid waste you leave on the roadside for free. She could have put it out for collection. Instead she dragged it twice as far to a spot she could conceal it for me to find and struggle with.

Exactly what I thought, especially seeing what cast-iron pans and skillets go for on the local auction site. Brother-in-law took it home with him to see if he can clean it up with his electrolyser.

Did I mention the aluminium guttering Mum dragged home from someone else's lawn because it would look good as a planter? Which she never used, so it ended up hidden in the wood pile? I'm getting seriously annoyed with her. Once a year the city will haul away any solid waste you leave on the roadside for free. She could have put it out for collection. Instead she dragged it twice as far to a spot she could conceal it for me to find and struggle with.
Your Mom had her quirks, I see!

But then, which of us doesn't:smile:?

The pub is blocked by my new gig's firewall. Bummer.
Does it think it's a drinking place or something having to do with gambling, due to the dice discussions:wink:?

Today's tally from the wood pile:
  • Bed frame
  • Paint rollers
  • Kitchen lino
  • Metal poles (of course!)
  • Unrecogniseable metal frame
  • Bar stool
  • Wasp nest
And I was overjoyed to see those wasps, because I had already been stung a couple of times under my trouser leg and I was worried it might be a whitetail spider. Having my leg rot off is one of my top five Don'ts.

We've filled our third skip and we're just about ready to call it the best we can do and maybe negotiate the selling price down by a couple of grand if the buyers finish the cleanup themselves.

I remember clearing out my grandma’s home after she passed. Me and my dad drove around two-three tons of metal junk to a scrap dealer, plus had to hand a dynamite detonator and an old handgun in to the police (there was an amnesty going on at the time, so no questions asked). We were so dog-tired after that.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back