Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I lived in Dallas from 90-95. I met my wife there and she wont go back now because of the heat. I live about half a mile from the Rockies now (I can walk into the mountains from my house) in northern CO. Colorado is okay, but I
prefer the broken wasteland of New Mexico.

I lived in Dallas from 90-95. I met my wife there and she wont go back now because of the heat. I live about half a mile from the Rockies now (I can walk into the mountains from my house) in northern CO. Colorado is okay, but I
prefer the broken wasteland of New Mexico.
I went to Colorado and New Mexico on a vacation last year (for the first time). It was glorious. Beautiful country and nice people!

Always fascinating to read about where y'all live. Of course, you might as well live in Narnia or something. ;)

Then again, I'll be in Europe (London, then Berlin) in a few weeks, and in the US (San Antonio) in December, so if any Pub-goers wanna catch up, let me know.

I went to Colorado and New Mexico on a vacation last year (for the first time). It was glorious. Beautiful country and nice people!
The folks in NM are especially friendly. We’re going to retire there when the time comes.

Always fascinating to read about where y'all live. Of course, you might as well live in Narnia or something. ;)

Then again, I'll be in Europe (London, then Berlin) in a few weeks, and in the US (San Antonio) in December, so if any Pub-goers wanna catch up, let me know.
Let me know next time you're in the Seattle area.

Finally admitted to myself that I need bifocals. I'm trying to get used to everything below the line being fuzzy until I use it to look at something close.

Also? One of the baristas at work got a crew cut. I made a Sinnead O'Connor joke and she just looked at me blankly because she'd never heard of Sinnead O'Connor.

I should be researching lichdom. Death can't be far away.

Finally admitted to myself that I need bifocals. I'm trying to get used to everything below the line being fuzzy until I use it to look at something close.

I used to have varifocals, but my distance vision is not bad enough to justify them, so I now have Reading Glasses that I take off to see far away. When my distance vision gets worse, I'll get glasses for Far Away and swap them over, as it is cheaper buying two sets of glasses than one set of bifocals/varifocals.

Also? One of the baristas at work got a crew cut. I made a Sinnead O'Connor joke and she just looked at me blankly because she'd never heard of Sinnead O'Connor.

The first time that happens is a killer. I remember talking cricket to a young guy at work, 20 years ago, and mentioned Alan Lamb and Ian Botham, to which he replied, "Yes, I've heard about them". Apologies to anyone outside the Cricket Zone, who have never heard of them.

Our daughter (age 8) has taken to singing Paul Simon lyrics whenever she gets an answer she doesn't like:

Her: "Can I play Minecraft on my tablet?"
Me: "No, you need to read or do something creative for a while first."
Her (singing): "Hello darkness, my old friend..."
99-998605_music-notes-transparent-png-transparent-background-music-notes.jpg

We tend to see fun sights like this around town around the time of Comicon every year. But the Mystery Machine seems to be a local as I've seen it parked different places all times of year.
20190815_221228.jpg

My new shrink is convinced I've got a massive case of borderline personality disorder. I asked her if that meant she wouldn't let me see pictures of her pet bunny rabbit, and she deadass didn't even get it. What is this world coming to?

Also, I have not even touched my cane since my last infusion of mouse juice. I'm still weak and I get tired & sore too easily, but I've actually gone full grocery shopping without using a mobility scooter, and I've been using regular parking spaces.

Need to get my ass back to the gym.

Day 4 of my fast.

I feel great! Hunger is gone. Senses are sharp. Dreams are lucid and intense. Creativity like lightning!

Day job... well... none of those things.

Had to go to Walmart, which I try to avoid, to get something and saw this display:
20190818_113557.jpg
Love that they're using the old 100-page-giant format and logo, but unfortunately the material inside each of these is just the typical craptastic modern hyperviolent hypersexualized DC junk. Oh well. Price is too high for me anyway.

We tend to see fun sights like this around town around the time of Comicon every year. But the Mystery Machine seems to be a local as I've seen it parked different places all times of year.
I grew up imagining that Californian teenagers drove around in hippie buses solving spooky mysteries all the time with their talking pets.
Thanks for reaffirming my beliefs! :grin:

My daughter requested I arrange for her stuffed animal sugar glider to be "flying in the hallway" near the bedroom she shares with her brother.
Quoth she: "Now you can tell it's a kids' room!"
We get possums running across our roof most nights, and we had one try and take up residence in the (often unused) fireplace for a while.

I'll try and nab a photo next time and post it :grin:

Starting to prep for a family overnight hike and camp. Of course I’m going to plan everything to a ludicrous degree, but I almost feel justified on this. Everyone with their own pack, including the boy. He can only carry a total of about 7 pounds, which is pretty much his pack, his poles, his sleeping bag, his air mattress, and water. Fortunately, my stuff is very light save for my pack (which isn’t bad but I went for comfort and versatility over light) and I’ve got my wife to assist. I expect total weight for the 3 of us will be under 50 pounds including food and water. I’ve done a little of this, but the family has only camped. The wife says she wants to do the PCT and I’m like you gotta work up :smile:

Went to the gym for the first time in a year. I used to work in construction and never needed the gym. I worked out every day I worked. Then I got a job in video games, and I sat on my ass for 8 years. Didn't even consider how bad of shape I was getting into until the last couple, and then I had a heart issue that caused me to have a hard time doing any exercise at all (luckily this one was treatable with just medicine, and now that I'm on it, I'm feeling much much better).

So now I've gone back. and I feel really good about it. Just felt like talking about it a bit because getting back into shape is super important to me, but honestly not the kind of things I'd talk to with my RL friends, so I haven't had anyone to talk to about it other than my wife (who goes to the gym like 4x a week, and honestly is stupidly strong for a woman. She leg presses between 3-4x her weight. I'm super glad to have her with me though cause she actually knows how to exercise, I just feel lost in a gym normally).

Anyway, a small glimpse into my normal life.hopefully I can get that 18/00 strength :tongue:.

An old friend of mine is a genius at making other people rich and I've joined him in a new venture. It's a lot of hard fucking work that will make somebody else rich; I will get a small cut (I've joined this friend on similar venture years ago). People at this workplace have been unfriendly or even rude to me. I don't blame them. They do shit work for much less money and have been there for years. I am concerned about the strain this job will place on my marriage and wonder if the money will be worth it.

On the plus side I've somehow managed to stick to the gym despite working 6 days a week, so I got that going for me which is nice.

So, I have a long saga about family, but I'll sum it up because I got things to do today.

My Brother in law is in jail for reasons I won't get into as they are not relevant (but he is a good guy, really), so his kids went to live with their shit-tastic mother (she was before all of this, really). Mother already is a single mom of two 10-12 yr olds with an alcohol problem, but my nephew and niece are almost out of the house. Mom goes on a bender and shit goes down. nephew records stuff, sends it to the older half brother of the 10-12 year old. She gets arrested, kids all move in with older half brother, who actually has no legal obligation. He's just a Good Man™.

Things have been going alright, he's kind of frazzled, and that's understandable, but we are sending some money for ours and helping out a bit. Then we get a text from my nephew (he's kind of proactive) saying that half brother's grandfather died and he needs to go out to visit, and wife and younger kids need to come along. apparently CPS wants them both around. Older kids can stay, but younger ones have to go. So he needs 3 more plane tickets and he just can't swing that. Can we help?

I'm angry that i'm involved. i'm getting stressed. What's worse is, I don't know why. It's actually not a particular financial burden for us. But I'm still upset. I tell wife, she's ok with the money. I'm still upset. I feel like I'm never going to have anyone fly in and save my ass. Like I'm always saving someone's ass (which, frankly, is pretty true at this point). I want people to stop bothering me. I want them to stop looking at me like I'm a savior.

Rum and overwatch ensue. I need to brood for a while. fortunately, it's Mayhem week. thank fucking god.

walk down after an hour. Decide I'm a shit head and have the wrong perspective. I'm fortunate. super fortunate. I'm fortunate that I can support this guy who is helping out my (wife's) family, and he's taking on a huge ass burden without being asked, just because it's right. Like I can just do it, and it'll be at best some flavor in the road of life. Tickets are bought, his family is going.

I need to remember how lucky I am. I've forgotten, and that makes me mad. I'm a better person than that. I'm mad that I caved into fear with no reason.

Side note, if any of you know how to make a car rental over the phone for someone else, I'd like to know. Apparently it's not possible anymore.

You’re only human, Raleel Raleel.

Objectively, many of us do have it better than many other people. But we look at our lives subjectively and a lot of emotions and personal perspectives are a part of it. It’s not wrong, it’s just the way it is. You live your life, not anyone else’s.

You did a good thing by taking a step back and looking at it objectively. That should be a credit to you.

You’re only human, @Raleel.
Slander! Libel! Fake News!

Thanks. It still bothers me, but ore in check now. I should know better, and this is a lame one.

I need to go have a drink with my heterosexual life partner and continue this discussion with him, as he met a similar problem a few months back. However, that dirty bastard had the audacity to go on vacation with, of all people, his family! And to The Caribbean! I'm going to have to divorce him!

I know I've had some reactions to things that were pretty selfish sometimes. Your initial reaction, especially a mostly internal reaction, isn't what counts, its what you do that counts.

I sometimes arrange a semi-regular drinkies for another online group I'm involved in. If you wanted to have some libations and there were other folks around London then something could be arranged.

I sometimes arrange a semi-regular drinkies for another online group I'm involved in. If you wanted to have some libations and there were other folks around London then something could be arranged.

Funny you should mention that; I'll be in London in three weeks. Any other Pub-goers in the vicinity?

always the small chance I'll make it down there. i'll try to keep this in mind if I get down there in december.

Funny you should mention that; I'll be in London in three weeks. Any other Pub-goers in the vicinity?
If you're touristing, then we should pick a venue that's easy to find. I suggest the Admiralty, which is just off Trafalgar Square and close to Charing Cross Station. As a bonus, it's about 15 minutes walk to Foyle's (a famous bookshop) and a similar distance to Covent Garden, which is mainly famous for street performers pretending to be statues. You can also get to Paddington from Charing Cross, which is where the Heathrow Express goes from.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back