Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
My kids saw me using their Star Wars Legos to make minifigures of PCs and NPCs for "Star Wars '78" and were inspired to dig out more Star Wars Legos to stage an epic battle between good and evil. I see they absconded with a few of the NPCs I assembled for future use.
20200105_170118.jpg
20200105_170132.jpg

Sentiments appreciated, but even Quentin Tarantino knows this ...

hmm, oh I wasn't specifically responding to you, sorry, I just came across that picture and it kinda got me teared up and wanted to share, and "Real Life and What's Happening" seemed like the best place. It's just one of those "a picture says a thousand words" type things.

But that does remind me of that great scene from Flight of the Conchords when one of the guys is dating an Australian girl, and his friends are grilling him on it

"Does she have an accent?"
"Yeah. It's like ours but ...more evil"

So, here I am in transit through Hong Kong airport and I've just realised that I've never had food in a Chinese airport that even made mediocre. Everything has been actively unpleasant in some way.
Looks like it's 麦当劳 for you. At least you won't die that way.

2020 goals by the numbers. I know I've already mentioned some of these in other threads:

Zero hangovers! I can count my 2019 hangovers on one hand, which is a significant improvement over prior years, but still too many, IMO.

Go on at least one date.

Read 5 nonfiction books. One down, four to go.

Play 5 video games. This is to help me determine if video gaming is still a hobby that I enjoy, or if I should just sell all my VG stuff, considering I haven't used it in quite some time.

Read 10 novels. Whether or not novel-length collections of short stories count is currently up in the air...

Work up to being able to run 10 miles regularly. Do the Minneapolis-to-St. Paul 10 Mile in October.

Watch 100 movies. 3 down, 97 to go.

Play 365 different board games. 5 down, 360 to go.

ETA: I forgot: Read 1,000 comic books. 12 down, 988 to go.

Pay off $4K in credit card debt, which will get me back to being completely debt-free.

And finally, I don't have a specific number for the goal, but reduce my body fat percentage such that I can fit back into medium-sized t-shirts. I'm focusing on losing fat, rather than losing weight, because I would be fine with being ~190 lbs @ 5' 10" if I were built like an NFL wide receiver. The trouble is, I'm ~190 lbs @ 5' 10" & built like a middle-aged gamer, haha.

For those wondering, "But how are you gonna reduce your body fat percentage, E?" I will do so by continuing to work with a Personal Trainer on strength & conditioning; doing the aforementioned running; increasing the ratio of fresh fruits & veggies eaten vs. unhealthy food eaten; and increasing the ratio of water consumed (I'm always unsure of the past tense of "drink") vs. alcohol & soda consumed. Which should also help with the first goal on the list!

Last edited:
So, here I am in transit through Hong Kong airport and I've just realised that I've never had food in a Chinese airport that even made mediocre. Everything has been actively unpleasant in some way.
To be fair, the food outside the airport is just as bad. Although you might get teargassed, so at least it's more exciting.

Today has not been a lucky day. First, one of the cats threw up. I discovered this by my traditional method of stepping in it. While cleaning up I managed to tear my foot on a loose carpet tack. Didn't notice that at first, so after finishing with the cat's mess I had to wipe up a trail of my own bloody footprints. As far as today goes, I'd like a do-over.

So I started an account on therpgsite the other day and .. now I understand what folks mean when they complain about the politics. Pundit does - shall we say - wear them on his sleeve.

Never bothered with it, other than occasional lurking, thanks to the irony of a site with a big bold banner on the front page saying, essentially, "No politics!" making everything about politics. Most of the people from there that I'd be interested in talking to post here, anyway.

Today has not been a lucky day. First, one of the cats threw up. I discovered this by my traditional method of stepping in it. While cleaning up I managed to tear my foot on a loose carpet tack. Didn't notice that at first, so after finishing with the cat's mess I had to wipe up a trail of my own bloody footprints. As far as today goes, I'd like a do-over.
Hehe misery loves company. You just described Mondays for me.

I've half a mind to buy a ticket and head up to Green Bay for the Seahawks vs. Packers playoff game on Sunday, but the facts are, I don't really have any spending money at the moment, and I'll probably have a better view of the game on TV anyway.

I've half a mind to buy a ticket and head up to Green Bay for the Seahawks vs. Packers playoff game on Sunday, but the facts are, I don't really have any spending money at the moment, and I'll probably have a better view of the game on TV anyway.
My house has better bathrooms and food. Plus I can pause and fast forward.

My house has better bathrooms and food. Plus I can pause and fast forward.

Also, traffic to & from the game would suck rhino balls. Okay, it's settled, I'll be happy to watch on TV!

I've posted about Krispy Kreme doughnuts before here. Our national broadsheet just listed it under the greatest transformations to the nation in the 2010s:
Years ago, when sales of doughnuts were confined to supermarkets, old-school bakeries and the occasional festival van, they were considered by most people to be ugly lumps of greasy dough which were bad for the heart and worse for the waistline. But then Instagram came along and people started taking pictures of their doughnuts and suddenly the things were cool.

In continuation of that Krispy Kreme Doughnut fucking inanity I've had two friends started taking pictures with their doughnuts because "Sure it's like been in LA or something". It's the dumbest craze yet. Leading to this:

A teenage relation even told me I'm too old to get it. And I've been trapped in conversations over Christmas about how "mad/crazy" it was to eat various doughnuts in varying states of inebriation. :weep::weep::weep:

Found out I'll still have a job this year. Our contract was set to end on January 20, but it's getting extended while a new one is being drafted.

Have a government audit next week at work.

My one co-worker is leaving after this week and he's completely short timing me, which is great, because he already failed to do ANYTHING I asked him to do in preparation for the audit while I was on vacation for Christmas. And he has actually been a great employee to this point.

So it goes.

Last edited:
I do not understand Krispy Kreme at all. I don’t even think they are good.
I think Kripsy Kreme doughnuts are downright bad. When I was living in the South somebody told me how wonderful they were so I tried them. Seriously the worst doughnuts I've ever had. I've had better from the supermarket bakery, to say nothing of Dunkin' Donuts or Sunny Donuts.

And the spelling of their name annoys me.

Last night was session zero for the Starfinder campaign I'm playing in. There are nine players and the GM, so it's a large group. Half the group are in their mid-to-late 20s and have never played anything other than D&D 3.5E, Pathfinder, and D&D 5E before, so listening to some of the stuff they talked about amongst each other was a bit jarring at times, just listening to their prior gaming experiences and the various Pathfinder jargon.

Today is my birthday, and after last night I feel even more old.

I've posted about Krispy Kreme doughnuts before here. Our national broadsheet just listed it under the greatest transformations to the nation in the 2010s:

In continuation of that Krispy Kreme Doughnut fucking inanity I've had two friends started taking pictures with their doughnuts because "Sure it's like been in LA or something". It's the dumbest craze yet. Leading to this:

A teenage relation even told me I'm too old to get it. And I've been trapped in conversations over Christmas about how "mad/crazy" it was to eat various doughnuts in varying states of inebriation. :weep::weep::weep:
I like donuts but not Krispy Kreme so much. I know nothing about Irish food but this reminds me of a Derry Girls episode involving the fish n chips shop, imply the food was soaking in grease and people couldn't get enough of the chips. Even had a line about someone getting banned from the shop and losing a bunch of weight.

I think Kripsy Kreme doughnuts are downright bad. When I was living in the South somebody told me how wonderful they were so I tried them. Seriously the worst doughnuts I've ever had. I've had better from the supermarket bakery, to say nothing of Dunkin' Donuts or Sunny Donuts.

And the spelling of their name annoys me.
I tried Dunkin' Donuts for the first time recently. Did not like it at all.

We have a local donut place called Southern Maid. They make great donuts, especially if you get them hot, but they are still tasty a day or two later. But they're literally tiny and have only two locations, for two towns that are slowly merging (not in any legal just sort of growing into one citymass over time. I know people who will drive 20-30 minutes to get them. (Smalltown thinking that is a "long drive." I don't think it is, but I've lived elsewhere, unlike some from here.)

Anyway, I may be having doctor intervention soon for an ongoing health issue, I'm tired of it, and I don't want to go through the process, but gah. Stupid intestines don't work right. I'm hoping they can figure it out, and it has a simple solution not involving surgery or complete changes of diet (notable changes are alright, not complete changes.)

Krispy Kreme doesn't do it for me. I remember encountering it for the first time probably in the late 80's in Tennessee. My cousin said "If the Hot 'n Fresh sign is lit do a uturn and get there asap but short of that it's no big deal"

We have a local donut place called Southern Maid. They make great donuts, especially if you get them hot, but they are still tasty a day or two later. But they're literally tiny and have only two locations, for two towns that are slowly merging (not in any legal just sort of growing into one citymass over time. I know people who will drive 20-30 minutes to get them. (Smalltown thinking that is a "long drive." I don't think it is, but I've lived elsewhere, unlike some from here.)

Whereas for us bigtown boys, that's how long it takes to get to the next exit.

And when you're "middle of nowhere rural" that's as far as you have to drive to get anywhere, really.

and for those of us living between North and South Venice Blvd, West of Pacific well that's how long it takes to go the last block in the summer on a weekend.

So revisiting coffee...

My son has started taking classes at the local community college, and knowing one particular day was going to be struggle as being a teenager he hasn't developed a proper sleeping schedule he was interested in making coffee. I showed him how to use my preferred French press and thought, that is it, I've done my duty as a parent... Well he managed to break it, my precious, my birthday present... er.. Where was I, yes, so I had a spare which I have been using, but unlike the other which I didn't know at the time was actually quite good, the one I have now is a mainstream manufacture, the kind of thing you can get in Target or Walmart and to be honest it kind of sucks. As the song says, you only appreciate what you had when it is gone.

So now while I look around for another good French press, I have been contemplating an Aeropress. Wondering for those who use them what options you prefer. I see they make a mesh screen making the paper filters unnecessary. Reading the reason these are supposed to be so great, the paper filter plays a part, so the mesh screen seems to get rid of the major selling point, of no grounds getting past and absorbing some of the bitterness.

So for those of you who have used one, sell me or steer me away from giving the Aeropress a try.

So revisiting. my revisiting I went ahead and ordered an Aeropress and stainless steel screen (replaces the disposable paper filters).

On taste quality it is good, I approve. It does have a distinctive smoother flavor different from other coffee making methods I've used (and I think at this point I've tied all of the common ones. However it is very guilty of trying to make coffee making by other means "hard". It is way more complicated than using a French press, drip, or espresso.
It may be true that other means technically take a little longer to brew, I can they can be left alone to brew while I make my breakfast.

The Aeropress is very needy, I have to be involved the entire time. The only way to make coffee that even comes close is pour over which also demands your full attention.

As far as paper or stainless screen, I got a very fine stainless screen and notice no difference in flavor between it and the paper filters.

Still for $30 it is a relatively cheap way to make a good cup of coffee and it is an easy way to make coffee while travelling.

Bush Fire season down here has been the worst it's been in most of our memories. Just about everywhere has been affected by smoke to a degree, but some places have been hit really bad. I'm fine where I am, however inland from us copped it bad a month ago. Last week was a shocker for parts of NSW and VIC. Complete devastation in some areas - homes, bushland, wildlife, individuals. Lucky the Emergency Services and Military Services was able to rescue people.

I think this is gonna have a big impact in Australia for years to come

Last edited:
I think Kripsy Kreme doughnuts are downright bad. When I was living in the South somebody told me how wonderful they were so I tried them. Seriously the worst doughnuts I've ever had.

I had that exact same experience during the few years that I lived in Louisiana. To me, Krispy Kreme donuts are gross because they're so sweet. And I like donuts in general! We have a bakery in my part of the city called Dinkel's that makes some tasty donuts.

So revisiting. my revisiting I went ahead and ordered an Aeropress and stainless steel screen (replaces the disposable paper filters).

On taste quality it is good, I approve. It does have a distinctive smoother flavor different from other coffee making methods I've used (and I think at this point I've tied all of the common ones. However it is very guilty of trying to make coffee making by other means "hard". It is way more complicated than using a French press, drip, or espresso.
It may be true that other means technically take a little longer to brew, I can they can be left alone to brew while I make my breakfast.

The Aeropress is very needy, I have to be involved the entire time. The only way to make coffee that even comes close is pour over which also demands your full attention.

As far as paper or stainless screen, I got a very fine stainless screen and notice no difference in flavor between it and the paper filters.

Still for $30 it is a relatively cheap way to make a good cup of coffee and it is an easy way to make coffee while travelling.

Aeropress is an amazing value for coffee lovers. Despite the obvious default "syringe" extraction method, there are a whole variety of ways to use it - double-filtering produces a really bright flavor if you wanna really taste the coffee, especially if you like medium or light roast coffee. Yes it's more complicated but it's also trying to ignite chemical reactions you don't get in French press or drip.

Espresso is a different monster, as unless you're using a "prosumer" machine which can be pretty expensive and getting 9 *actual* bars of pressure, you're not getting real espresso. There are options tho if you're not willing to drop $500 - which is the rock bottom price you're going to pay for a good machine (Breville/Sage (if you're in the UK) is *excellent*). And even with that - you're going to need to invest in a good grinder and good beans - and learn how to foam correctly etc. It's a bit of an investment to get good espresso and it's derivatives, and radically more so than using an Aeropress. Unless you're willing to get a lever-action manual espresso machine like Flair Espresso maker (I have one! and it's excellent but even more fiddly than an Aeropress - but it does make espresso), anything else that's automated outside of a Breville or Rancilio or those in their weight class are just bogus machines.

THAT SAID... Aeropress is *fantastic*. You made a great call. Aeropress essentially is such a great design and good product because only now other companies are trying to emulate and improve on them - and frankly none have succeeded.

This Christmas I got a Bodum pour-over which I hate to admit it... has bumped my Aeropress off my top three-list I use at home (French Press and Espresso being the top two). Most people use Chemex Pour-overs - but Bodum makes great products, and it was half the price! It's so fast, I can pour and not worry about timing the steeping or anything, dump the grinds and drink. ZERO fuss.

Lol. I remember the first time we got a Krispy Kreme branch. My dad and I were buying something next door to the location that opened, we saw the line of people wrapped around the building THREE TIMES in addition to the wait line inside; we looked at each other and shrugged, "well there must be SOME reason these people are willing to wait."

Got in line on a lark. By the 40 minute mark we started getting ancy, but the feeling of sunk cost had already set in so we kept waiting. Finally got inside after nearly two hours, bought our donuts.

"... THIS is what we waited for?!" Never even finished the box...

In contrast, I used to live next to this generic little hole-in-the-wall donut shop (in fact, I'm pretty sure the store's sign literally just said "DONUTS") which sold amazing kolaches and all kinds of handmade pastries, run by this tiny Asian woman (who was pretty intimidating). Great food, nice lady, but man. She had this steely gaze that was impossible to avoid or resist.

"Yes, I would like these four donuts and an orange juice please!"

*stare* "... *AND?*"

"... u-uh, yeah, OK I guess I could get a couple of kolaches too, those look good."

"... AAAAAND?"

"Um, I probably shouldn't but maybe some donut holes?"

*still hasn't moved or broken eye contact* "AAAAAAAAND?"

"... uh, a chocolate milk and an apple fritter for the wife? I guess we could make the donuts a full dozen as well..."

"That will be fourteen seventy six, thankyouhaveagoodday."

She was a hell of a salesman. Most times I left that place I struggled to remember what all I actually ended up buying...

Last edited:
Aeropress is an amazing value for coffee lovers. Despite the obvious default "syringe" extraction method, there are a whole variety of ways to use it - double-filtering produces a really bright flavor if you wanna really taste the coffee, especially if you like medium or light roast coffee. Yes it's more complicated but it's also trying to ignite chemical reactions you don't get in French press or drip.

Espresso is a different monster, as unless you're using a "prosumer" machine which can be pretty expensive and getting 9 *actual* bars of pressure, you're not getting real espresso. There are options tho if you're not willing to drop $500 - which is the rock bottom price you're going to pay for a good machine (Breville/Sage (if you're in the UK) is *excellent*). And even with that - you're going to need to invest in a good grinder and good beans - and learn how to foam correctly etc. It's a bit of an investment to get good espresso and it's derivatives, and radically more so than using an Aeropress. Unless you're willing to get a lever-action manual espresso machine like Flair Espresso maker (I have one! and it's excellent but even more fiddly than an Aeropress - but it does make espresso), anything else that's automated outside of a Breville or Rancilio or those in their weight class are just bogus machines.

THAT SAID... Aeropress is *fantastic*. You made a great call. Aeropress essentially is such a great design and good product because only now other companies are trying to emulate and improve on them - and frankly none have succeeded.

This Christmas I got a Bodum pour-over which I hate to admit it... has bumped my Aeropress off my top three-list I use at home (French Press and Espresso being the top two). Most people use Chemex Pour-overs - but Bodum makes great products, and it was half the price! It's so fast, I can pour and not worry about timing the steeping or anything, dump the grinds and drink. ZERO fuss.

Yep I'm happy with it, my only negative comment is their marketing that claims it is easier to use than a French press. That makes me think of those commercials where they have a whiz bang onion slicer and they show how hard a regular knife is to use by having some guy go full Samurai with a huge cleaver which no competent cook would use. :hehe:

My wife is the real winner though, she is not a big coffee fan, and I'm now able to make coffee for her that she actually likes (of course it is buried in cocoa, 1/2 and 1/2, whipped cream and caramel) rather than tolerates when she needs a caffeine boost.

I have one of the Bodum pour overs. I got it this past Thanksgiving when we went to visit my wife's parents and I discovered they aren't really coffee people. Sorry a jar of freeze dried instant coffee just doesn't work for me. The pour over did the job, but I had to sit there and pour a littte water, wait for it to go down, then pour a little more so the press is easier to use, fill with water, let sit, push plunger and pour. I didn't find the flavor of pour over as any different from French press.

Part of my issue may be that I prefer one large cup of coffee vs several smaller cups. French press and Phins come in large sizes but most other devices assume a smallish cup of coffee.

I've had cheap espresso machines which I find far better than drip, but a good one that can make real espresso is on my someday list.

Lol. I remember the first time we got a Krispy Kreme branch. My dad and I were buying something next door to the location that opened, we saw the line of people wrapped around the building THREE TIMES in addition to the wait line inside; we looked at each other and shrugged, "well there must be SOME reason these people are willing to wait."

Got in line on a lark. By the 40 minute mark we started getting ancy, but the feeling of sunk cost had already set in so we kept waiting. Finally got inside after nearly two hours, bought our donuts.

"... THIS is what we waited for?!" Never even finished the box...

In contrast, I used to live next to this generic little hole-in-the-wall donut shop (in fact, I'm pretty sure the store's sign literally just said "DONUTS") which sold amazing kolaches and all kinds of handmade pastries, run by this tiny Asian woman (who was pretty intimidating). Great food, nice lady, but man. She had this steely gaze that was impossible to avoid or resist.

"Yes, I would like these four donuts and an orange juice please!"

*stare* "... *AND?*"

"... u-uh, yeah, OK I guess I could get a couple of kolaches too, those look good."

"... AAAAAND?"

"Um, I probably shouldn't but maybe some donut holes?"

*still hasn't moved or broken eye contact* "AAAAAAAAND?"

"... uh, a chocolate milk and an apple fritter for the wife? I guess we could make the donuts a full dozen as well..."

"That will be fourteen seventy six, thankyouhaveagoodday."

She was a hell of a salesman. Most times I left that place I struggled to remember what all I actually ended up buying...
The best doughnut place I know of is in a cruddy location that requires a left turn in and out of the suicide lane to get in and out and is run by a somewhat brusque--not to say unfriendly--Vietnamese lady. They're open 24 hours a day and the only thing not to like about them is they tend to run out of the doughnuts my kids like best if you don't arrive early enough in the day. A Starbucks recently opened down the block from them and I really hope the doughnut store doesn't lose business as a result.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back