Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Big day today. At 4:29 this morning, my partner gave birth to a baby girl.

Annoyingly, she's had to stay in hospital overnight for observation. But they're coming home tomorrow.

I feel so far behind the curve on the whole having kids thing. Most people I know that are my age have kids in their 20s. One is even a grandparent. And was before she was 40.

Still, better late than never.

congrats!

As a relatively late father (38, mother was 37), I found that some things were easier - financially stable, a lot more life experience so I could see curve balls coming. The downside was that my energy levels were not early 20s, so it’s hard to keep up sometimes, and older folks tend to be more set in their ways and thus more resistant to/irritated by the introduction of someone who imposes that much presence on the household.

congrats!

As a relatively late father (38, mother was 37), I found that some things were easier - financially stable, a lot more life experience so I could see curve balls coming. The downside was that my energy levels were not early 20s, so it’s hard to keep up sometimes, and older folks tend to be more set in their ways and thus more resistant to/irritated by the introduction of someone who imposes that much presence on the household.
I'm 48, my partner is 36. She's got a 10 and 7 year old from her first marriage. So this is a baby that's goingGtonset some cats among the pigeons.

Congrats and good luck! The first three years are the worst as far as parenting. The babies and toddlers are adorable, don’t get me wrong, but they don’t call them the “terrible twos” for nothing. Once they start going to school full-time, it’s easier. When they hit high school, it’s pretty much like you have a jr. adult in the house. My daughter is going to be 18 soon. She’s not very responsible but she’s got the brains to be an adult so she is already in my book. I haven’t pushed her getting a job yet because she’s like a 3.7 GPA student.

I am 45 and my spouse is 25; she wants children before 30. I am a little intimidated when I think about chasing toddlers in my 50's.
That's exactly how I felt. But back when I turned 40 after finishing my cardiac rehab after having a failed stent at 38 and a double bypass at 39, I took up karate.

While I was pondering taking up the sport, I came across a saying.

"The best time to take up karate was 20 years afo. The next best time is now."

I'm starting to realise the same is true about having kids.

I am 45 and my spouse is 25; she wants children before 30. I am a little intimidated when I think about chasing toddlers in my 50's.

I get it. I wanted kids really bad when I was with my ex-wife. I was 22 and ready to go. We divorced when I was 28, no kids, and I thought I was almost over the hill. It's just the way I thought then. My wife and I had our daughter basically a year after we met. I was 29. I would never want to have kids over 50. I am ready to have that time with my wife again after all these years. Everybody has a different perspective, which is great! If you have kids, I'd do it as soon as possible.

I will say that it is very cool to expose you kids to "new" things. My daughter absolutely loved 80s music when I played it for her coming home in the car after picking her up at daycare. It's still her favorite music.
I'm corrupting my step kids. First it's Alice Cooper. Then Queen. Now early Kiss.

I've got a copy of Swords and Wizardry Lite printed out and when the moment is right, I'll get them to play that...

Annoyingly, she's had to stay in hospital overnight for observation. But they're coming home tomorrow.

I feel so far behind the curve on the whole having kids thing. Most people I know that are my age have kids in their 20s. One is even a grandparent. And was before she was 40.

I had my first at 40 and (God I hope so!) last at 45.
I knew a gal at work who was a mom at 14 just like her mom before her. 36 and a grandma.

I knew a gal at work who was a mom at 14 just like her mom before her. 36 and a grandma.

My cousin was a grandmother at 33. Sigh...

My cousin was a grandmother at 33. Sigh...
The galbi worked with had an eleven year old son. Anytime she criticised him he'd respond with 'You too can he a grandma at 36.'

CONGRATS!

A friend of mine had her first at 17 and her 5th at 29. Grandma by 38. And her eldest on Jeremy Kyle with him claiming his gf had cheated on him. Her claiming she'd never been with anyone else, so the baby had to be his.

DNA test said otherwise.

Congratulations!

congrats!

I had my boy when I was 36, and I put the energy issue this way:
  • Parents through their 20 stay up with their kids because they're up already.
  • Parents through their 30s stay up with their kids through sheer willpower.
  • Parents older than that deserve help.

It's not too horrible, I'm the 57 year old dad of 4 and 6 year olds...

I'm more worried about paying for college when I want to be thinking about retiring...

Oh, and I forgot to mention our 17 year age difference...

Last edited:

Congrats.

I'm depressed that no one caught my math error. 2*14 does not equal 36. Total brain fart. Let's try that again. Grandparent at 28!

Congratulations on embarking on your greatest adventure yet! I too had my first (and likely only) late in life, at 37. Fret not — you got it.

Congratulations!

You are never going to look at sleep the same way again. Well at least not for a while. Let me give you some unasked for advice. Tell all the people who give you unasked for advice to go pound sand.

So, I respond with my usual acerbic wit to a post in a facebook group I belong to and I'm just about to move on when I notice the profile picture, and it's like a 8 year old girl, so I erase the comment, and "like" the post instead, because holy crap, is she not old enough to be prepared to deal with my level of asshole

So, I respond with my usual acerbic wit to a post in a facebook group I belong to and I'm just about to move on when I notice the profile picture, and it's like a 8 year old girl, so I erase the comment, and "like" the post instead, because holy crap, is she not old enough to be prepared to deal with my level of asshole
Which does beg the question - WTF is an 8 year old girl doing being allowed on social media, especially a cesspit like facebook?
At least it wasn't 4chan, I suppose.

Which does beg the question - WTF is an 8 year old girl doing being allowed on social media, especially a cesspit like facebook?
At least it wasn't 4chan, I suppose.

To be fair, this was in a group devoted to the film Labyrinth - I did do an about take until I realized "oh, yeah, this is a kid's film..."

"The best time to take up karate was 20 years afo. The next best time is now."

I'm starting to realise the same is true about having kids.

I was born 1971, my wife 1979. We met 2005, got married 2012. Every day we count the blessing of still not having any kids. Love it. To each their own, of course.

We do have two nephews, born 1999 and 2017. They live with their mother in Mexico City.

Last edited:

Congratulations, and glad to hear everyone is well! I was 30 when we had our one (It was her birthday yesterday too; when she's older, we'll embarrass her with the knowledge she was very probably conceived on my 30th birthday), my partner was 36, and while I grew up not really wanting to be a parent now I love my tiny human more than anything. She's awesome.

Today is the third anniversary of my father's death. Got to admit that i'm struggling a bit.
Prayers for peace and strength.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back