Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
So...weird story time: I took my kids to the dentist today and was propositioned by a woman while I was in the waiting room during their checkups. I had never heard of a "cold bar" before today so maybe I'm unhip--I had to look it up online afterward. If you don't know what that is, check urbandictionary.com. I guess because it's been really hot here lately? :wink: Anyway, I declined her invitation. Also, no cavities. Strangest dental appointment ever.

So...weird story time: I took my kids to the dentist today and was propositioned by a woman while I was in the waiting room during their checkups. I had never heard of a "cold bar" before today so maybe I'm unhip--I had to look it up online afterward. If you don't know what that is, check urbandictionary.com. I guess because it's been really hot here lately? :wink: Anyway, I declined her invitation. Also, no cavities. Strangest dental appointment ever.
*looks it up*

That's stupid.

I can compete in this arena.
I once went to a dentist in Beverly Hills. While I'm getting a cleaning the hygienist looks at my paperwork sees my job and starts probing for single status / dating interests. This is while I have her hands, tools and suction in my mouth. Maybe if I were interested this would have been less awkward but I wasn't.

Just found out a close friend who I haven't been able to talk to a bit was battling cancer just had multiple heart attacks and is severely brain damaged and will probably pass away. They aren't talking about it publicly yet so I just needed somewhere to just vent where no one knows me in real life. Just fuck all this.

Update on this! He was awake part of today, he's still on a ventilator so has to be sedated, but he responded to his name and gave a doctor a thumbs up.

He's still not safe, and he still probably will never be the same, but considering they thought he'd be a vegetable, he's doing much better than expected.

Update on this! He was awake part of today, he's still on a ventilator so has to be sedated, but he responded to his name and gave a doctor a thumbs up.

He's still not safe, and he still probably will never be the same, but considering they thought he'd be a vegetable, he's doing much better than expected.
Glad to hear some good news, here's to a good dose of luck for the guy.

I once went to a dentist in Beverly Hills. While I'm getting a cleaning the hygienist looks at my paperwork sees my job and starts probing for single status / dating interests. This is while I have her hands, tools and suction in my mouth. Maybe if I were interested this would have been less awkward but I wasn't.
But was she cute?

But was she cute?
I notice Bunch Bunch doesn't actually say nothing happened...is this one of those "and now that woman is my wife" stories? :hehe:

Been off work since Wednesday so I can do birthday stuff with my daughter, trying to make it special since there are so many things she can't do with the Wuhan Shuffle freaking everyone out and Gruesome Newsom shutting down anyone who dares compete with his wine-tasting room that remarkably and coincidentally is still open for business. Anyway, I'll be busy pretty much through Sunday but will try to update all the PBPs later tonight after she goes to bed. As you were.

I couldn't even think of the appropriate thread to put this in, but this is the most absurd thing that I've seen in a long time, and I just had to share...

The Dragon Ball Z Bouqet...

View attachment 20107

Yours for only $74.99
I used to work with a guy that I could see buying this for his girl, or her buying it for him. Seriously. Same kid had dinosaurs tattooed arm. (Looked some one did it with a crayon)

TWO Ketchup packets? Two...2 Ketchup packets! What the hell am I supposed to do with 2 Ketchup packets? "Oh excuse me, could I maybe have 5mL of soda to wash that down?" Is there some sort of world ketchup shortage I'm unaware of?

TWO Ketchup packets? Two...2 Ketchup packets! What the hell am I supposed to do with 2 Ketchup packets? "Oh excuse me, could I maybe have 5mL of soda to wash that down?" Is there some sort of world ketchup shortage I'm unaware of?
It's the food supply chain. The first link in its total collapse is ketchup.

Anybody else caught comet NEOWISE yet? Tail is fairly easy to see with the naked eye here at the moment.

This caught my eye because that's exactly how much ketchup we have left in the house after a weekend of 2 burger dinners and a hot dog lunch...

When I used to do a lot of camping, I would grab a nice handful of ketchup (or any other sauce I liked) packets to keep in my camping kit...

Now that the heat wave is over the Mrs and I spent the day drinking and then shopping at one of those pretentious shopping center/luxury apartment deals that have replaced old school malls in my area. I forgot how fun drunk-shopping could be. I planned to give Dungeon Degenerates a test run today but I'm not in any state to deep dive into complicated rules.

The world science fiction is coming up in 10 days. New Zealand won the bid to host it this year, but then coronavirus came along. It's going to be a digital convention instead. Which no-one has ever done before. Which means the people involved are going crazy with stress.

Spittingwife volunteered to put together a small stamp exhibition to sit in an entrance hall and be a quirky introduction to the country and its culture for overseas visitors. Now it's going online, it's going to be the convention's major cultural exhibit. No pressure, right? I'm counting down the days, not only to the convention, but also to when Spittingwife recovers and stops being so negative and occasionally a genuinely unpleasant person to be near.

I'm watching all the overloaded boats go by while the state is trying to keep a lid on Covid growth and realizing it's failed. These boats are overloaded strictly from a coast guard requirements standpoint. Add in that people are still recommended to socially distance and wear a mask and that just isn't happening.

Next door the late teens/early twenty something's are having a bunch of friends over every night.

We figured we'd beat the rush and buy decent desks and chairs for our kids to sit at while doing virtual school next fall. They look good/functional and the kids like them. Friends tried to order them two days after us and they're backordered now.
The winds have shifted in our area from "Let's get those kids back in school full-time!" To " Hell no my kids not going back to a plague factory!' in record time. It's been wierd to watch. I still have a friend who sends his kids to private school who's convinced they will be at school full-time. I actually would bet him money the California Governor will bar schools from going back in person at least in LA, SF and SD metro areas.

Yeah, the school district decided last week no in person school in the fall at least not to begin. Makes sense, it will be much easier to open schools if things improve, than it would be to go back to distance learning if they get worse. Unfortunately it appears we are headed towards worse.

We've been pretty lucky to this point but the cases are climbing. The local hospital planned ahead. They built a new larger emergency room that opened last year. When Covid started they decided to set up the old ER as a Covid ward. It has sat empty for months but they now have their first customers. A week ago we were sitting at I think 112 cases total with only 23 active, and no deaths. This week we are at 194 with 94 active cases, almost double whee we were at last week. The county also recorded the first 2 deaths from Covid this week. Those numbers are small compared to other places but we only have 86,000 people in the county.

2,577 cases, 46 dead, several of which were folks in a veterans home, and also a prison.
The cases have skyrocketed here ever since we moved to phase 2. Everyone's been getting more aggressive and aggravated here too, it feels like a three-way standoff in a movie, and everyone's just waiting for someone else to make the first move. The calm before the storm.
Our Hospitals seem to be doing ok, judging by what I saw at my ER trip a couple weeks ago. One hospital has been designated as the Covid hospital and the others take in non-respiratory cases. We actually had some of the first cases in the country transferred the covid hospital because it has a well equipped infectious disease ward.
We just need to be patient, this too will pass.

Weekend was decent. Ran 6.5 miles on Saturday morning, made some major progress on my reorganizing project, and cooked a nice pot of chili.

Did some hiking myself, with a mostly loaded pack, and taught my niece how to make vinegar coleslaw and pulled pork sandwiches. The latter is in a line of "well, parents are currently not helpful, so lets teach you some life skills and you don't have to rely on folks" lessons. I like her. It's taking her forever to warm up, but the cooking is helping break the ice a bunch

Did some hiking myself, with a mostly loaded pack, and taught my niece how to make vinegar coleslaw and pulled pork sandwiches. The latter is in a line of "well, parents are currently not helpful, so lets teach you some life skills and you don't have to rely on folks" lessons. I like her. It's taking her forever to warm up, but the cooking is helping break the ice a bunch

That's cool that cooking is helping you connect with your niece!

Care to share your pulled pork recipe? Pulled pork is one of my favorite dishes.

That must have been a really persistent lion...

Lol. My goal was 7 miles, but it was really hot out and I couldn't quite get it done. If I'd had one more glass of water before I left, or one fewer beer the night before...

That's cool that cooking is helping you connect with your niece!

Care to share your pulled pork recipe? Pulled pork is one of my favorite dishes.

this particular one, excuse me, was brisket, from a friend. my mistake.

however, we also did puerco pibil last week, which is pulled pork. we used https://www.bingingwithbabish.com/recipes/2017/8/08/puerco-pibil. with some modifications for not having whole seeds handy. still turned out exceptional. she (a slight girl of 100 pounds) ate 4 tacos worth. this is when i discovered she loved hot foods.

Let me share mine too.
  • 1 heaped tablespoon ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 tablespoon chilli powder
  • 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
Rub this all over the pork butt. Use a knife blade to poke holes in the meat and twist to make pockets you can rub extra seasoning into. Transfer to an airtight container and leave in the fridge overnight. The next day, transfer to a slow cooker at medium heat with the fat side up. Fill the bottom of the cooker with a 50/50 mix of water and apple cider vinegar. Leave cooking for ~8 hours.

At the end of that time, lift the fat flap off and transfer the meat to a plate. Turn the cooker to max. Shred the meat with two forks and mix in a generous amount of BBQ sauce. (I like Hickory smoke Jack Daniels sauce.) Transfer the shredded meat back to the cooker for another 20 minutes to caramelise the sauce.

Serve with coleslaw in a long roll.

So, I mostly keep my life off the internet but here's some advice for today. Don't try driving a standard in heavy traffic while two kittens escape their box and have a melt down. It's harrowing.

I had a cat get loose in the car once, he decided under the pedals was a good place to hide. No, it really isn't but thankfully I got the car stopped without bent metal.

Yeah, they kept trying to get down there or out the window or into my lap or up my back. My wife was with me but she couldn't keep them under control. In the end I had to stuff them in the trunk. I hated to do it but I still had to drive home and they just kept getting crazier. One of them managed to get under the trunk lining and into the jack compartment somehow. But they're home now, no harm done. I probably won't be their favorite person any time soon.

So I gave my one month notice at my job. I loved my job for a long time. It was an exciting job. It was a cool field to work in.

But it was killing me. Like overwork. Stress. Constant "ON" kind of deal. Never time off. I haven't had a weekend off, hell I haven't had a day off in like, months.

I'm just I should be nervous about the future but I'm legitimately HAPPY. Happy it is over.

So I gave my one month notice at my job. I loved my job for a long time. It was an exciting job. It was a cool field to work in.

But it was killing me. Like overwork. Stress. Constant "ON" kind of deal. Never time off. I haven't had a weekend off, hell I haven't had a day off in like, months.

I'm just I should be nervous about the future but I'm legitimately HAPPY. Happy it is over.

Congratulations! Best of luck with whatever you do next!

Good luck! I've been thinking about leaving my job for months now, since the end of last year. I've even applied at a couple places. I plan on leaving by fall either way.

Beat of luck! Hope you land on both feet and soon.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back