Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
So I was warned that one potential side-effect of my medication would be that I might shrink, and... well, it's clearly happening. This year I've gone from 5'10" to just under 5'9", so not enough that you'd really notice, but still gone.

Would be nice if my feet would shrink too, but we'll just have to wait and hope for that one.

In related news, the backup seems to have lost some of the images.

So I was warned that one potential side-effect of my medication would be that I might shrink, and... well, it's clearly happening. This year I've gone from 5'10" to just under 5'9", so not enough that you'd really notice, but still gone.

Would be nice if my feet would shrink too, but we'll just have to wait and hope for that one.
Bone loss?

Hip rotation, which pulls the spine down, and ligament / muscle changes. You're at a higher risk of osteoperosis or similar if you don't have a dominant sex hormone (Testosterone or estrogen) in your body, so taking blockers long-term on their own isn't a good idea, but that isn't a situation I'm in.
Learning new things every day.

18th Oct, 11 days after the wife and munchkins departed for Indonesia and I've been sorting through the stuff in the house, bagging up the stuff to go to the charity shop - I'm not even sure if they're taking donations. I was thinking of shared accommodation but now I think I'd be better off in a 1 bedroom flat. Fortunately there's a fair bit of that sort of thing in Tunbridge Wells.

I've been told that giraffes have the same number of vertebrae as humans do. Interesting if true.

So, last week rumor had it that one of the kids who comes into my store had shot and killed his brother and was in jail. I checked the local news and there was no story about a murder. It's a quiet little city and we only get a couple murders a year. Anyhow, he turned up on facebook and says he was in jail but only for breaking and entering and assault and he thinks it won't stick because he was just trying to get his stuff back from someone and they swung first. Ah well, at least it's not murdering his brother.

I've been told that giraffes have the same number of vertebrae as humans do. Interesting if true.
Most mammals only have seven neck vertebrae! There's a gene which can misfire and change this, but it usually results in negative effects which reduce the creature's lifespan (They can't move as quickly and the rest of their body may not adapt to cope with the change); but sedentary creatures like sloths are able to cope because they don't particularly need the fast mobility that most mammal's backs provide.

I think I've heard this story before.
HOLY CRAP! He was OJ the whole time! :grin:

I feel bad for him, he's been in and out of the homeless shelter for years, he finally had a real steady job and was doing better but at least his employer will have some seasonal work for him next year.

Our school district is attempting to go back Nov 3rd. This despite the neighboring school districts all deciding not to go back until at least Jan. I'm going to give this a few days before reacting since I can't tell if they are attempting to appease everyone in a round about way. My wife is freaking out hardcore which is oh so fun.

It seems like around here, rural areas are itching to go back to school, while the cities are virtual until the new year.

It seems like around here, rural areas are itching to go back to school, while the cities are virtual until the new year.
I'm afraid a very vocal minority has influence on the school board/district. Personally I think this area is currently quite safe as it gets but that can change rapidly

Most mammals only have seven neck vertebrae! There's a gene which can misfire and change this, but it usually results in negative effects which reduce the creature's lifespan (They can't move as quickly and the rest of their body may not adapt to cope with the change); but sedentary creatures like sloths are able to cope because they don't particularly need the fast mobility that most mammal's backs provide.
The exception for this being of course, the Common, or British, Middle Manager (inverterbratus vulgaris), which has no vertebrae at all.
Fun fact: the term Common or Garden dates back to the 17th century, and common is referring to species found on commons, rather than common species.

Last edited:
Kinda like leaving your zoom can on and pants off while you get ready in the morning?
If Fenris-77 Fenris-77 is doing classroom prep before he's remembered to put his pants on there's a whole other class of problem here.

Last edited:
Hah! No. Jerks. I always go in quite early because I never stay late. I get better qork done in the morning anyway. Plus I like to home when my kids get off school.

I'm afraid a very vocal minority has influence on the school board/district. Personally I think this area is currently quite safe as it gets but that can change rapidly

And there's the rub. Safety breeds contempt for the measures that keep you safe in a lot of cases. "We don't have a lot of cases, so we don't need these strictures in place," when the strictures that are in place are the reason that you don't have a lot of cases.

Once you learn the fallacy of the statement that the measures are not necessary, it's too late to reimplement. And this is especially true if you don't have a plan for what to do when you catch any hint that maybe this was an awful decision.

And there's the rub. Safety breeds contempt for the measures that keep you safe in a lot of cases. "We don't have a lot of cases, so we don't need these strictures in place," when the strictures that are in place are the reason that you don't have a lot of cases.

Once you learn the fallacy of the statement that the measures are not necessary, it's too late to reimplement. And this is especially true if you don't have a plan for what to do when you catch any hint that maybe this was an awful decision.

This is the bane of safety programs everywhere. Nobody needs a safety program until they are on fire, and then it is somebody else's fault that they weren't told not to bathe with gasoline. :ooh:

And all of this is made worse because it is something we are still learning about and something that is potentially still changing. Plus no one can be sure what the perfect course of action was until after it's over and you get to see what the various side effects of choices are.

That's the main reason why I'm not as comfortable coming down hard on people making various choices I don't agree with. I don't know what the long term impact of my plan would be any more than they do.

This is the bane of safety programs everywhere. Nobody needs a safety program until they are on fire, and then it is somebody else's fault that they weren't told not to bathe with gasoline. :ooh:
What? Bathing with gasoline isn’t safe? It’s the only way I can kill the bugs!

So I should stop the gasoline fights when me and my model friends stop to get gas?
Not in the least. Just make sure you guzzle from the nozzle a little while you're at it.

Hisssssss. :irritated:

H&S: "Those rubber mats you put down over long cords are a trip hazard. Stop using them."
Me: "But the cords are also a trip hazard. How do I handle them?"
H&S: "Stop using them too. Cords longer than 3m are banned as a trip hazard."
Me: "How do I get power to the centre of the room?"
H&S: "Get a power box wired into the middle of the floor, under an approved covering."
Me: "But this building is on solid concrete."
H&S: "COMPLY. COMPLY. COMPLY. COMPLY."

Except that conversation never happened because you can't talk to Health & Safety. They're only there to issue directives, not provide ways for their stupid rules to be followed.

H&S: "Those rubber mats you put down over long cords are a trip hazard. Stop using them."
H&S: "Get a power box wired into the middle of the floor, under an approved covering."

Except that conversation never happened because you can't talk to Health & Safety. They're only there to issue directives, not provide ways for their stupid rules to be followed.
Duh. You build a raised platform with approved hand rails and non slip steps to run the power line under.

Or just use these

As a long-time fire warden at my work, I'd like to point out that nobody has died due a fire on-site on my watch.

I mean, I have a lot of time for my colleagues, but to be honest I keep them safe because casualties involve paperwork and meetings.

As a long-time fire warden at my work, I'd like to point out that nobody has died due a fire on-site on my watch.

I mean, I have a lot of time for my colleagues, but to be honest I keep them safe because casualties involve paperwork and meetings.
Could you swing by and take over the Western united states forest fire management for a little while?

Duh. You build a raised platform with approved hand rails and non slip steps to run the power line under.
Do I build another one next week when they want power at the front of the room, between the podiums?
Or just use these
You found the exact thing I'm banned from using.

Do I build another one next week when they want power at the front of the room, between the podiums?

You found the exact thing I'm banned from using.
That's dumb. Better just build a while new floating floor and run power every 24".

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back